There are actually people on this board RIGHT NOW who defend the Catholic Church in spite of its abuses, scandals...

>there are actually people on this board RIGHT NOW who defend the Catholic Church in spite of its abuses, scandals, and well-documented history of corruption

The worst is when I see posters here unironically defending those actions that resulted in the complete destruction of valuable historical writings: the writings of various Classical philosophers, the scriptures of various "heretical" sects, and most offensively, the records of the Mesoamerican peoples.

I don't think most people grasp just how serious this destruction of records was and is: imagine trying to reconstruct the entirety of Western civilization if all recorded materiel were wiped out save for a fantasy/sci-fi book.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Isidorian_Decretals
britannica.com/topic/Donation-of-Constantine
newadvent.org/fathers/0847.htm
polarprefecture.blogspot.com/2011/02/st-ignatius-of-antioch-sends-letter-to.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes user, people destroy the cultural artifacts of their adversaries/competitors. It's a shocking revelation I know but as you mature you'll realize that this sort of behavior is quite common.

What classical philosophy was burned by the Latins?

None of the Mesoamericans could write except the Mayans. Furthermore, while the Spanish burned a lot of the pictorgraphy, the Catholic Church was more concerned with preservation. The Codex Borgia, for example, is preserved by the Catholic Church.

Not OP but since he's made this exact thread before I can tell you what he's going to say: the evil Christian monks wrote over classical manuscripts with "useless church garbage."

There are hardly any cases of that happening, and the reason it did happen is because the monks in question couldn't read Greek and the work came from the East (after the Muslims invaded, a lot of librarians fled with works from Byzantine and they made their way out).

>implying some missionaries didn't do more than anyone to preserve records
>implying their focus wasn't on conversion as opposed to eradication under protestant colonisation
>implying extensive syncretism didn't occur

Is there really a religious organisation that hasn't done shit like this before? Even Judaism did some pretty awful shit in the Old Testament.

The only religions I can think of who aren't guilty (but probably are) would be the Oriental religions like Buddhism, Taoism, etc.

>Even Judaism did some pretty awful shit in the Old Testament

Not really, considering that archeologists and historians are of the firm belief that - contrary to what the Old Testament describes - the Hebrews/Jews were themselves simply an off-shoot of the Canaanites who relatively peacefully arose in the region. The stories of them coming out of Egypt and ousting the Canaanites by force are widely considered deliberate attempts at building an ethno-religious identity, and not indicative of what actually occurred.

>there are actually people on this board RIGHT NOW who defend the Catholic Church
Because the true church have holy proof for her authority! See!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Isidorian_Decretals
britannica.com/topic/Donation-of-Constantine
newadvent.org/fathers/0847.htm
polarprefecture.blogspot.com/2011/02/st-ignatius-of-antioch-sends-letter-to.html

finkelstein pls

Finklesteinowitz

>there are actually people on this board RIGHT NOW who defend anime in spire of its abuses, scandals, and well-documented history of corruption

>thinks shouting "muh kikes!" is a valid counterargument to the widely-accepted academic consensus

You must be over 18 to post on this site.

>abuses, scandals, and well-documented history of corruption

yeah whatever donatist scum

You can defend a doctrine that tells you that you are a mind controlled puppet instead

nearly as tragic as the burning of monastic libraries by protestants

>implying I'm a Protestant or even a Christcuck

*tips fedora*

*kisses feet*

The Spanish were Exceptionally zealots due to historic reasons
>Buddhism and Taoism
Are you an Idiot?
Look up all of the Taoist revolts and Southeastern Asian History

Reminder that the pope is doing literally nothing wrong there

Actually, it's more the looks of disgust on everyone's faces.

Why would you invent horrific atrocities in your peoples histories though, shouldn't they have been doing the exact opposite? Your story sound so unbelievable to modern ears, although in the past it probably was the case you had to have at least a genocide or two in your tribes history to get the other tribes to take you seriously.

People are sinners. Church isn't perfect because people there sin and make mistakes just like the rest of our species, but it's better that it exists than that it doesn't.

>there are actually people on this board RIGHT NOW who defend Islam in spite of its abuses, scandals, and well-documented history of corruption
>The worst is when I see posters here unironically defending those actions that resulted in the complete destruction of valuable historical writings: the writings of various Classical philosophers, the scriptures of various "heretical" sects, and most offensively, the records of the Byzantine peoples.
>I don't think most people grasp just how serious this destruction of records was and is: imagine trying to reconstruct the entirety of Western civilization if all recorded materiel were wiped out save for a fantasy/sci-fi book.