Found this on a forum:

"ISIS, or DAESH if you prefer, is a direct result of the almost boundless opportunities we have in our world today. Never before have so many of us been so free to choose our own future. And never before have we had so many tools available to reach our goals. We live longer and healthier lives and travel more than ever before. We have become a globalized society. Never before have we had such a large pool from which to draw our knowledge to solve problems, create solutions and earn money by selling our inventions or services. Developments in medicine, technology and literacy are at an all-time high, and keep growing. We have had the knowledge of powered flight a little more than 100 years and yet now we could easily go to Mars within 3 years if we all really wanted to. We are at this moment discovering gravitational waves, communicating freely across the globe and have started mass producing electric cars. If I wanted to, I could wake up in Berlin and go to bed in Jakarta within the same day. So, with all these rapid developments and with the future we are creating today, is it really such a surprise that along the way we will encounter such temporary things like ISIS?"

Not so sure about this, but what does Veeky Forums think?

I wouldn't say it's a spawn of that exceptionally. It mimmicks many past rebellions. Go to a destabilized region and seize trade or black markets with mercenaries.

yeah, I see your point, but if 'we are all connected and talkin', why do we get extreme evils like this?

>So much opportunity and access to knowledge explains why people are going with a religion that's existed in that region for over a millennium.

"The house of cards that is the middle east refuses to stay up no matter how many times we set it on fire"

Fucking yahtzee.

Because some people don't want to connect and talk with other people. It's the exact same reason why nationalism and neofascism is surging in the West, and will continue to as long as globalism encroaches on and erodes their identities. Omar and Bubba are both victims of internationalism in the same way. Their cultural heritage, community, and traditional way of life are all being threatened while their ancient biases against Jews are being vindicated, why WOULDN'T they push back?

Literally meaningless, all it says is "We have technology, so ISIS isn't surprising".
It doesn't even attempt to link the two.

>Developments in medicine, technology and literacy are at an all-time high
Only if the rise of the functional illiterates counts as a development.

so you're saying we will always have things like isis? and that it is natural for them to exist?

I'm not sure but I think the author is maybe trying to claim that with internet and likewise, things like isis follow naturally...?

Naturally ? Why ?
This.

Also who's the girl in OP's pic ?

an ant

>we have raging mudslimes and a deathtoll from radical muslim shenanigans but who cares we have spaceships

Literally Last Men mentality

> extreme evils

You really never read a history book did you?

It's trivially true, but meaningless at the same time since ISIS could exist even without "almost boundless opportunities".

It's like saying you can go to the toilet because "almost boundless opportunities".

>with internet and likewise, things like isis follow naturally
Stuff like ISIS existed before. It's not like there weren't societies of savages, holy wars, enslavement of women, etc, before the 21st century.

This. There is nothing worth reading here.

The only response to a garbage "analysis" probably written by a journalist drinking coffee at Starbucks and listening to indie music on their iPods. Come on guys.

Awful, no attempt to explain how the two are related, it's literally just saying that things are happening, no shit, explain why the things that are happening are related to each other and maybe they'll have a point.

I've said things like this (regrettably) as they are a product of poor mental discipline and/or critical thinking.

>if 'we are all connected and talkin'
We are not.

I love Bettany, except for that one time she blamed the burning of the Library of Alexandria on anyone other than the Jews.

Inane whiggish linear progression of history bullshit. It's much more likely the amazing technological progress, wealth generation, and relative peace and stability the world has experienced for the last 60+ years is the "temporary thing" and ISIS is much closer to the natural state of human society.

It was linked in his head.

I'm pretty sure she did BBC documentaries on antiquity.

>natural
i thought you meant that since you were talking about action and reaction (ex. "why WOULDN'T they push back"), that they are therefore a consequence of our times, and since history more or less repeats itself, one could assume that we will always have radical groups that are the consequences of their respective times. And therefore a 'natural' occurance. Yes, No?

Also, her name is Bettany Hughes. just google hot historian.

There's a difference between our world being connected by the global economy and the media, and we being connected as "citizens of the world" or a human family. People have way too many different backgrounds, sets of values, cultures, families, etc. to all buy into the same Western liberal value system. You're going to naturally get pushback when people and communities see their individual value systems threatened by a universalizing value system.

I disagree with OP for this same reason.