Lebanon

What went wrong Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oQDmvJtH0iw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What happened?

Palestinians happened.

How could they have let this happen?

Failed state my man, no president for 2 years, can't even collect their damn garbage

Pretty good compared to Syria and iraq

Islam.

Not even once.

Giving constitutional power to the Christians and Sunnis, who eventually became the minority groups in the country.

Antagonizing Israel

This.

Islam, thinking two religions can coexist peacefully.

Sheer delusion.

In Iraq, Ayatollah Sistani consistently receives praise for sheltering Christians from extremists. Some even put his name forward for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Islam isn't the problem. It's Salafism. You're doing an injustice to 90% of the people who are actually victims of Salafi terror attacks, who are also Muslim, by grouping them all together.

Islam is absolutely the problem, but not all Muslims are the problem.

Hezbollah also recruits & defends Christians these days. Who would have thought, considering the rep they get in western media?

And it's pretty consistently Shia Muslims who are tolerant of, or even cooperative with, Christians. In Iraq, in Syria, and in Lebanon.

Here is a Hezbollah video with imagery that would get a man executed in many US-allied countries.

youtube.com/watch?v=oQDmvJtH0iw

Ultimately however, it is pretty difficult to say that Christians and Muslims can co-exist when every country to try it has failed.

Shia are still motherfuckers.

They just spend their motherfucker energy more wisely because they don't have the numbers Sunnis do.

Best post

t.Phoenician-Nationalist

No census since the 1940's so the representative branch of government knows fuck all about who they are representing.

#notallmuslim

Eat a rotten falafel, Phalangist scum.

Islamic conquest

Anecdotally, the only muslim family in Canada that I've ever personally known who intended to commit an honour killing were Palestinian.

Basically this.

Israel happened, which later lead to Palestinians happening.

Hezbollah and the Maronite Christians actually seem to be getting along from what I hear. Mainly out of a mutual hatred of Israel and the Sunni, but still

Hezbollah's leader recently swore to protect all christian villages in Baalbeck and get vengeance for them in his latest speech

nothing went wrong, Lebanon is your average Arab state, shitty government, corrupt officials, militant group runs country, deep hatred for the Jews

palestinian refugees

>this meme again
Shia are just as, if not more, powerful than their Sunni counterparts. Hence the regional Cold War and persistent sectarian conflict.

>Ultimately however, it is pretty difficult to say that Christians and Muslims can co-exist when every country to try it has failed.
Fatimids and Iran, off the top of my head.

>Shia are just as, if not more, powerful than their Sunni counterparts

Hence why there are Shia ranging from Morocco to Malaysia, and Shia Islam is such a huge cultural export.

Wait, no.

There are only 4 majority Shiite countries on the planet.

Weird.

I was referring to the two sides of the sectarian conflict--Morocco and Malaysia are not preventing Hezbollah from doing whatever it pleases in Lebanon.

He's saying this in reference to Lebanon, ya dingus. South Lebanon since the demise of the PLO as a real fighting force has been solidly shi'ite

You see, the Shia are motherfuckers in Lebanon.

Unlike the Sunni, they are not motherfuckers in places like Belgium or Paris, because they lack resources.

It doesn't matter to the average American what happens in Iraq or Lebanon as long as it doesn't effect us directly.

Reagan proved that by pulling out after the barracks bombing.

or because the only significant shi'ite communities in the west are iranian, mostly well-to-do exiles.
never see not azerbaijani's anywhere, lebanese shi'ites are just too poor to consider emigration.

>And it's pretty consistently Shia Muslims who are tolerant of, or even cooperative with, Christians.
He kinda already covered that.

Also, Christians are only kind of tolerated in Iran. The Islamic Republic makes no bones about the fact that it is explicitly and restrictively Islamic. Proselytization is often cracked down on, and upward mobility, employment, and government opportunities are discriminatory and restrictive. Christians and Muslims aren't seen as "coexisting" in any more than a local, existential sense. In any sense of belonging to the Islamic Republic, I think the message is clear: you can stay, but don't you dare entertain the thought that we're equals. If we get any hint that you might have cause even the slightest political ruckuss, we'll fuck you good and hard.

You really think jihadi groups are some sort of Sunni conspiracy, with them all getting together and deciding "hey lets attack x y and z"

No, it takes literally one retard and a bomb vest to do a suicide attack. Not 500m+ adherents. Not a geographic span from Malaysia to Morocco.

Shias don't do it because they aren't trying to instigate war with more outside forces, unlike ISIS whose goal it is to get reactionary retards to vote pro-war and turn this into a Muslim v. non-Muslim issue. And it's working unbelievably well.

Shia Muslims are still Muslims.

And yes, but they co-exist. They, like many Westerners, want a country of their own. I wouldn't mind a Christian proselytizing in Iran but the powers that be are very xenophobic. And it's mostly a "don't do it in public" law; my grandfather converted people to Baha'ism in his house throughout Khomeini's reign until his death. Which was thankfully of natural causes.

And they prevent Sunnis from building mosques and proselytizing as well--I'd say that Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians have it better than Sunnis back there.

I don't think we really disagree here. Especially the part about the non-Muslim religions having it better than Sunnis.

Honestly, my point was more that the Islamic Republic is really intolerant of political dissent. And that's the tacit understanding for religious minorities. Yes, you can be here, but we're going to make damn sure you can't become any kind of threat to the regime.

>You really think jihadi groups are some sort of Sunni conspiracy

Literally yes. The definition of a conspiracy is two or more people engaged in a secret criminal enterprise.

Al Qaeda and ISIS are Sunni conspiracies.

Their propaganda departments are run out of Saudi Arabia, and their money comes from Gulf oil states.

Iran could easily do the same thing, but they know that unlike the Saudis, they wouldn't get away with it.

I want to rescue her

That's the real perplexing thing about the West's relationship (specifically the US) with Iran and Saudi Arabia. It is absolutely in the US's best interests to side with the Shia, which is why that Iran deal was really the only good foreign policy move Obama made. The Saudi's are openly evil, openly fund terrorists, exports Salafism, and are pretty highly despised by everyone on earth, even other Muslims. There is literally no Shia-Sunni conflict in which supporting the Sunni makes any sense. Iraq, Syria, Yemen, you fucking name it, ESPECIALLY in Syria where a Sunni victory essentially ensures the destruction of all the Alawites.

>Shia Muslims are still Muslims.
Not for the purposes of this conversation they aren't. We must make a distinction. Like if you were to talk about the Christian view of homosexuals. A distinction would need to be drawn between different Churches that hold different opinions.

Shia Muslims, for instance, are not flocking to join and secretly equipping a 7th century death cult.

You knew what I meant by "conspiracy."

And Iran is literally doing what it likes. That's a big part of the nuclear deal criticism. It is (or was) funding Hamas, a group directly opposed to it ideologically. If it suited Iran's interest, they could send some Hezbollahi to bomb the US.

But why would they? They have no tactical advantage to gain.

Saudi gains refugees to its sparsely-populated land, halts the growing Shia power in the region from gaining more influence, increases sectarianism, and gets secular leaders toppled on a routine basis.

If the Shia did the same thing, they'd just have pissed off some Americans. Woop dee doo.

I actually agree with you. However, every time someone says "[all] Muslims do/are x," the poor bastards who make up most of the victims of those 7th century death cults have to bear the burden.

>And Iran is literally doing what it likes

It's doing what makes strategic sense for them.

Hezbollah extends their power in Lebanon.

HAMAS fucks with Israel, which is something that they enjoy doing, and that helps keep their populace concentrated on Zionist evildoers instead of the mullahs.

You don't see Iranian mullahs encouraging Shia to bomb Western targets, because if they did that, there wouldn't be an Iran.

>because if they did that, there wouldn't be an Iran.
Israel has enough ordinance to blow Iran to kingdom come 600 times over. Not an argument.

They have nothing to gain. Not anything to fear, as evidenced by their constant prodding of Israel, but nothing to gain.

>Israel has enough ordinance to blow Iran to kingdom come 600 times over

Nah.

Just

nah

Everyone fucks with Israel. That's the natural pastime of all Muslims.

There are a select few people stupid enough to fuck with NATO countries, even fewer that fuck with NATO countries that aren't T*rks

Yes though.

But let's pretend you're right. What about the Iranian capture of American sailors in Iranian waters not too long ago? Or the constant threats Khamenei makes to the world at large?

But let's ignore all that as well--what reason, what tactical advantage would the Shia stand to gain from attacking foreign NATO or otherwise countries?

US gets blown up once and left. Allowing everything to go to shit.