"Military strategy hinges on innovation and surprise."

Add to that public support and the resources at hand, and I agree. (Do not feel it is necessary to say why)

Military conflicts tend to be decided on who can bring more resources to the area of conflict for an extended period of time. If I can bring ten times as many men I can lose twice as many men as you and still be very successful.

What if you kill the public?

This seems a bit banal.

I don't disagree but it seems no more insightful that Donald Trump saying "military strategy involves being good, I mean really good, I mean really, really good".

I think he's just stating the obvious. Don't know what this thread was for. Probably some advanced form of shitposting, OP must be giggling like a little girl now.

- (((Sun Tzu)))

Thats sorta what makez Sun Tzu the greatest military mind.
Its a book where you do gather "war involves people killing each other" and other such obvious statements. But what sets it apart from other books, is that it doesn't go half way.
And what do set it further apart is that a lot of idioms come from The Art of War. I.E
"All warfare is based on deception."
These are abbreviations of longer verses, condensing them.

It goes to the point where if you are going to be in charge of a war, at the least use the book for a checklist.
I.E Do you know your enemy?
Do you have basic logistics in order, so you can move your army?
Can you afford to field the army?
Must gear be rationed due shortages or expenses?
What do your enemy know about you?
Have you inspected the terrain where you will fight?
Do you have a basic campaign plan? Have other people checked said campaign to sanitize the plans?

No Public=don't worry about public support

genius

its kong qiu (confucius for you white pigs), you fucking idiots

Not at all.

> military strategy hinges on strength
is different from saying
> military strategy hinges on innovation and surprise

He's saying you literally don't need to be strong, just always surprise your enemy.

So if I surpise a bunch of heavily armed dudes by charging at them with a stick, I win? Nice.

do you think they'd be surprised that you're a shitposting retard?

the answer is no

You're worse, though, so they might be caught off guard.

>military strategy hinges on strength
>military strategy hinges on surprise

Both pretty banal and uninsightful comments. Again, that doesn't mean they are wrong, just mundane.

What part of "a stick" is innovation?
Innovation is to let a rockslide kill them.
Or stealing their ammo before charging.

>try to attack your enemy when you outnumber them
>armies get tired when marching a lot

Truly a master strategist.

Recommendation for a Hero of the Soviet Union award:
>On July 13th, 1941, Red Armyman Ovcharenko was transporting ammunition for the 3rd company in the Pesets region, and was 4-5 kilometers from his unit. In that region, two armoured cars, 50 German soldiers, and 3 officers surrounded him.

>A German officer exited the car, and ordered Ovcharenko to raise his hands, took his rifle, and started questioning him. Ovcharenko had an ax in his cart. He grabbed the ax, chopped off the officer's head, and threw three grenades at a nearby car. 21 German soldiers were killed, the rest ran in panic. Ovcharenko pursued a wounded officer through a garden in the Pesets village, caught him, and also chopped his head off. The third officer ran away.

>Comrade Ovcharenko calmly collected the documents of the dead, the officers' maps, papers, diagrams, notes, and delivered them to the regimental headquarters. The ammunition was delivered to his company on time. Comrade Ovcharenko continues his combat service, promoted to a machine gunner.

You've got surprise down. You just need innovation. Like a pointed stick.

Sun Tzu is very basic in most of his book, but you can still see military defeats today where generals/commanders disregarded the basics and paid the price. Like another user said, the book is a good checklist.

its fucking confucius

wrong pic 孙子desu

Ar rook the same

But if I have half as many men spread across two fortresses, then the victory will forever escape you.

"We're gonna build a line. A big, beautiful Maginot Line. It'll be terrific. You'll see."

All I've learned from Eastern history is that Chinese philosophers didn't know shit about war and that's why China got their asses handed to them for over two millenia.

Yeah, this. You have to remember that most generals of the period, and indeed, until formalized military academies began appearing, didn't even know the basics of strategy. I do mean strategy in the strategic sense, by the way. Supply lines and all that.
Similarly, what a lot of generals tended to do was to go into a battle without a set objective.
Oh, we've got the enemy beat? Well let's pursue. And so Napoleon lost Waterloo.

brutal

Seeing as you could argue Napoleon/anybody invading Russia/etc lost battles or wars.
And they lost said wars because they didn't use Art of War as a checklist.

I.E
- If winter do come, do you have the logistics to supply your men with the gear they need to invade in a Russian winter
- Did you bother to ask the non hostile locals about the weather, and how the storms behave
- Did you bother to make sure your you had the cash the war cost? This is LITERALLY the plot/summary of Robin Hood, and a lot of Euro crusades and wars
-Do the enemy have a tech advantage? How far do it go?
-It could argued the entire of Cortez victory of the Aztecs could be attributed to him having strategy, and they didn't. To the point where he fielded armored 16th century war horses in open fields, because the enemy didn't bother to figure out how they worked as a war machine

Then you obviously learned it wlong