Ive decided that i want to learn a programming language to help make my job easier as well as to improve my...

ive decided that i want to learn a programming language to help make my job easier as well as to improve my marketability and job prospects.

what language and what online course should i take to best start out?

Other urls found in this thread:

remotelyrich.com
ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Haskell

>what language and what online course should i take to best start out?

codecadamy > python

What is your job and what are you looking to do? Language depends on your aim but chances are you could get away with something simple like python

my job involves alot of research and execution. basically we have a bunch of work orders that need to be fulfilled with different vendors based on what the client needs (microscopes, bulk supply wood, 100x orders of laptops, whatever they want) however each vendor has their own specific method of how they want the buy order to be processed in terms of relevant information and payment methods etc. (obviously, its like the difference between processing a payment between amazon or buy.com, except these are all vendors who don't really rely on their online stores)

It all has to be really specific because otherwise our clients order will experience delays in processing which really pisses them off and drives them to other businesses.

my job is to optimize and ensure that their work orders get processed as quickly as possible as well as trying to identify methods of optimizing this process.

assembly

You want to learn a programming language to make your job easier?

... b-better buy buttcoins!

You probably won't be able to build a functioning program that will automate your job anytime soon, but you probably would be able to use VBA to speed it up with little effort.

Regardless, you can torrent programming books easily, I use C++ Without Fear. Or just buy it it's like $20

it maybe depends on what platform you're coding for and how open your IT department are

personally, I'd go python or perl

if you're exclusively a Microsoft shop, you might wanna look at just getting real good with excel or sql server reporting

desu, most of the time the tool doesnt matter - if you can pull the data you can use anything to crunch the numbers. python and perl are great general use tools, excel is pretty much everywhere.

coursera

best of luck

How about quit being a slave working in an office for asshole bosses and triple what you make now by working remotely and getting hired for multiple full-time jobs?

remotelyrich.com is a remote only job site that is designed for exactly that. Also, their book tells you how to set your business up so you're protected legally.

Java, develop android apps and get some passive income. You only need to know like 4 lines to build your first app.

python, then java

python because it's easy, java because it's my personal favourite,

ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/

>Google this
>No results

Nice shilling, MATT. Must be really successful if you have to shill your shit on Veeky Forums

depends on your job senpai. If you've got a IT department start asking them. otherwise try and find some people already doing programming in your field and ask them.

Not OP here, but I'm also interested in learning how to program. I got two main interests: 1) Android app development; 2) web development.

Could some anons provide more info on peculiarities of these two types of programming? Like, what languages are most relevant, where are higher chances to get employed etc.

>java
i wonder when will this meme language die finally?

depending on what you want to actually develop, combine the two and develope html5 stuff for Android.

couple of books out there, mainly game related in I'm honest but if you're going anything hard and heavy you're gonna be looking java's direction

>most used language
>meme

Learn C, than C++ if you actually stick with it. All the programming knowledge you will ever need. Java is for plebs and everything else is retarded or not for use in actual production.

Python.
If you have no programming experience, you could try "codecademy.com/learn/python".
That site wont make you a programmer, but it will make the beginning a lot easier, because you will need to look up a lot of stuff.
Then you could try out a book like this:
"automatetheboringstuff.com/".
Also, maybe this youtube channel might help you: "youtube.com/user/thenewboston/playlists"
(This guy is an amazing teacher).
Notepad++ is a nice working enviroment and easy to use.
(When you are starting to code)

Please dont listen to the /g/ autist who recommend languages like C/C++.

If you actually work in an office setting and aren't a skiddie then vba.

it's well past time for it's funeral

C++ or HTML & PHP if that counts

is there any benefit to simply learning java first?

why would you recommend learning python first? genuinely curious.

i have heard that both are very solid options.

What's wrong with C+