>27
>4k in emergency account
>13.5k in 401k

I feel like a fucking failure. I'll be lucky to retire with 1.5mil. In 40 years that isn't going to cut it. A single meal will cost something ridiculous like $100.

How do you stop from killing yourself each day knowing this?

get a better job

T-thanks dad.

>Dad has 20 year military penchant
>Dad has 17 year FERS penchant
>Mom has twenty something year state penchants
>These adjust to inflation
>Plus they have tricare
>Soon they'll both be drawing social security on top of this
>Their combined penchants + social security earn more than the average American family even makes
>They have 250k saved up past that and our house is estimated at 156k in value

You can get it if you want to.

What do you do in your spare time? Do you improve yourself? Do you learn about investing? Do you find ways to earn more money? Do you cook instead of eating out?

>house is estimated at 156k

Lel, don't try to boast when you live in poverty

Not everyplace has housing prices like Commiefornia or Jew York son. I drink my scotch out of waterford crystal.

I work, come home, maybe go out and do something one or two nights a week. Maybe go on a date if I'm feeling extroverted.

I can't think of a way I improve myself. Considering going back to school for an engineering degree, but that seems daunting and I don't want to go through the student life struggle for four years again.

I do learn about investing, though. Watch stocks, play sometimes, etc. I have a goal set to open a roth IRA, but I want my emergency fund at $9-10k first. So it's going to be a while before that happens.

I'm vegan, so I'm forced to eat in most nights. I'm pretty frugal with my money.

He's 100% right. You make $1100 every two weeks, or roughly $28,600 annually assuming full-employment and zero vacations. That puts you solidly below all averages for U.S. men, and that's assuming you have only a high school education.

If this is truly the maximum that you're able to earn, then you'd better adjust your goals and quickly learn to live within your means.

Otherwise, get a better job.

>retire

hhehaheaaehah

they invented that concept in the 1950s bro

>23
>10 oz buried
>3k in strongbox
>10k in global ETFs
>twenty macallan 12s and five 18s stashed
>enough in checking to cover 6 months' expenses

My plan is to drink myself to death if the world goes belly-up.
If not, ride that wave bb

car 400usd per two weeks

food 100usd
internet 100usd two weeks

what the fuck

The cure for high prices is high prices. Just like in housing--the growth cannot continue at current rates. Hedge, stay debt free and wait for the dust to settle. Remember it's an election year

That's net. I make an average of $50-55k depending on how business is for the year. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

I get a full month of PTO and full benefits. Put 8% in my 401k and it gets 100% matched up to 6%. I'm lucky to have this, even if there are better options out there. I only have a high school diploma.

Those are monthly figures. $200/month on food doesn't seem excessive to me in my area. Car is $350 monthly.

dude you're doing pretty good. just keep at it.

Is this excel?

Can anyone recommend a program to keep track of earnings/expenses like this?

I just made it myself in excel (open office, actually). I'll upload it somewhere and link it if you'd like.

Sure, I use libre office myself.

Why the fuck do you need to keep track of your expenses? Just don't buy anything you don't need. Before go to Olive Garden, ask yourself if you really want to spend $15 for a mediocre meal. Budgets are crutches that encourage wasteful spending because you will think as long as you are under budget you don't need to make careful decisions.

>10 OZ BURIED

WHERE U LIVE MY MAN

Then I'm not sure what the problem is. $1.5 million will give you at least $45K annually in retirement, even including inflation (using modified-Trinity 3% assumption). That should be plenty to maintain your current standard of living.

You want a better standard of living? Get a better job.

far away from where they're buried brah

To keep track of where money is hemorrhaging and make choices about what I can cut without sacrificing necessities or dignity

You can do that without a fucking spreadsheet.

Are you amish or something? Computers make things eaiser

Here you go. The only thing that didn't carry over was the lock on the first column, but that's easy enough to do.

Instead of wasting time entering things in a spreadsheet, you can just not spend money on stupid shit in the first place.

Do you see any stupid shit on his spreadsheet?

Oh that's right, you don't. Because organizing your expenses allows you to see what is stupid shit easily

Thanks

>I can only tell if someone is stupid shit AFTER I spend money on it

just looking out for you
you never know when dementia hits

buy monero

How the fuck I got more money then you, I'm living with my mom, I'm younger then you, and I don't even have my drivers license? (Permit)

Consider yourself lucky. You are able to save some money. Many folks have multiple jobs and struggle to just get by.

At 3% inflation
1.5mil in 40 years is equivalent to $459835.26116 in todays dollars. Just giving you some perspective on the whole $100 meal thing.
This

>250k saved up

Go flash your Rolex to some kids you retard

Your budget is shit
Overpriced phone bill, WAY overpriced internet, >muh Netflix, crazy car payment and to top it all off you only have $200 for food

what the fuck is a penchant
pension?

Since when is 350 bucks a month a "crazy car payment?"

Confirmed for bus rider.

I bought a newish economy sedan for $9k in 2009 and still drive the same car

On $2200/month any car payment is absolute cuckery and you cant budget for shit

>having a job so miserable that you need to retire

>not being an engineer

Any car payment is a crazy car payment since you should just buy a car you can afford for cash money.

Is retiring with $1.5 mellon really not enough?

You're doing better than most people. Payments are kind of a waste. Should just pay that shit off asap and save from there.

Also don't worry about 'wasting' some money on entertainment. There is more to life than working slavishly so you can die in comfort.

>Is retiring with $1.5 mellon really not enough?
Plenty for most, and much better than the average American. For some, it would be a hardship.

>Protip: Not everyone aspires to the same standard of living.

>married, no kids
>combined salary ~$12,700 every two weeks
>my contribution to that is about $2,800
FeelsBad.jpg

>buying a gym membership
>having netflix when you can just stream everything nowadays for free
>having a fucking car payment
>not living with someone or your parents
>having sirius

im okay with the food, tho, since that's the one thing you shouldn't cheap out on. (though, quantity matters a lot)

What the fuck does she do to make 20k a month and why the fuck would you ever feel bad about that

It starts with a B and ends with lowjobs.

Surgeon
Inb4 you fell for the med school meme

It feels bad because as the man I am making much less. At least I am good at cunnilingus, or she is good at faking

>Surgeon
I am going to guess she pays 3k a month in loans?

>sirus
so you're the one keeping them in business, no wonder you're poor

budget thread?

while my excel sheet says my goal is 20% for a house, ive reconsidered. after the project my dept is finishing up is over in the next month, im just gonna pay off 3k on my student loan. should only have ~7500 left on it after.

>$50/mo for booze

How to you live of

that's not so bad honestly if you're not drinking swill

How do I get an engineering job if I have my degree but I don't actually know anything?

ee btw

pills?

usually buy 30pack of rolling rock every two weeks, plus i make bootleg wine with whatevr fruits are on sale at the grocery store, plus i occassionally put a bottle under "hobbies".

the hobbies, booze, bar sections are the most volatile. havent gone out much in the past couple months, probably will splurge when im free.

crohn's.

You make 2.5k a month?
What do you do for a living?

well i net that amount. i suppose i dont have a good way of including overtime or xmas bonus into it, but i just update my savings account number at the end of the month and it adjusts the goal date.

env consulting. right now, phase i esa, some groundwater lsi, some asbestos inspections

teach yourself. What ever you can pay thousands of dollars for, you can learn online for free. A degree is just a piece of paper.

Start doing hobby projects and keep a portfolio of them. Like a binder of lab reports. When you go for interviews show them your projects.

It demonstrates personal motivation, willingness to learn, and, obviously, experience

Self motivation, not personal. Derp

>I can't use software to make the job easier or to optimize spending.
Not spending is not the same as spending wisely. If you have a spreadsheet, you can tell where you can spend more or spend less. Not everyone thinks living off of instant noodles is the smartest financial move.

And you need a spreadsheet to tell you that spending $20 every night going to Applebee's isn't the best idea?

That's right. And even if you were, you still need to decide if cutting it out altogether or going every other night is worth what you get out of your money.

link to template file?

i just made it piece by piece. basically, the newest functions are on the right, the original is on the left.

its kinda fun to make it, at least try first.

i wasnt able to find one that i liked and i didnt want to install a third party program, so fuck it ill make it. still looking for a better function to retrieve stock data though

I'm 32 with roughly200k right now

I had less than OP when I was 27

A lot can change in 5 years

what are things you did during those five years to make those changes?

Everyone has their problems OP. I got scammed by a guy on StockTwits called ProfitTradeRoom, gave him 490 to teach me how to trade, give me hundreds of elite picks, I saw his spreadsheet of wins and thought it would be worth it now I probably will never see it because his swing trades suck ass. Dumbest idea of my life.

i use stocktwits too. too late for you now but don't ever pay for anything other than stock scanning and charting software. you can find guys on stocktwits and twitter who post charts for free. you can follow them without paying a cent.

I use stocktwits mainly for shitposting on the latest memestocks and finding out when the PR movers are supposed to happen.

Went back to university to get a real degree to replace my first meme degree. Didn't take as long, since I already had so many undergrad classes.

Got a decent job and then started my own side business and pulled in over 100k for 3 years and living on next to nothing