An angel, an eagle, a winged lion and a winged bull represent the four evangelists of christianity...

An angel, an eagle, a winged lion and a winged bull represent the four evangelists of christianity. Can the christians and historians of the board explain why? What symbolism connects this creatures with each saint?

For starters I though the lion belonged to Jesus and an angel sounds like a pretty generic symbol in christianity. But I suppose it's normal that different figures may share a symbol for different reasons.

By the way, although I'm educated in late roman and medieval history (so I know most than a lot of people, probably) I'm not christian and I wasn't educated on the religion soI'm sorry if the awnser is obvious for the faithful.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Judaism/wiki/jesus
byproclamation.wordpress.com/tag/four-evangelists/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cherubim, a class of angels in the Old Testament are described as heaving the heads of an eagle, lion, bull, and a human.

Are they described like that in the Old Testament?

Yes

Good. Welll, then what is the symbolism behind the form of the cherubim? I seriously doubt it's random.

tetramorph
fascinating stuff

They represent four facets of Jesus.

King: Lion
Suffering Servant: Ox
Son of Man: Man
Son of God: Eagle

There are four creatures before the throne of God.

They also have four faces. Lion, Ox, Eagle, Man.

Within them are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

They are the four living creatures.

I've heard they correspond to the progression of the Gospels in this manner:

The man greets you

The lion strengthens you

The bull teaches you

The eagle carries you

Hmmmm, that would require a different order:

Luke
Matthew
Mark
John

Holy fuck. Can you tell me more of this? Looks like they don't correspond with the christian/jewish ones completely though.

Are the four faces of the cherubim supposed to come from the same symbology or is it unrelated?

No.

By the way, I was pretty sure that the four creatures before the throne of God mentioned in John were just supposed to be the evangelists. Like in the portals of christian churches, for example the one in my OP.

It is the same.

Good. Do christians use this fact to give legitimacy to their beliefs? As in, the OT predicting this four facets of Jesus?

Although I suppose christians have better things to connect both texts than this "anecdotic" fact.

Jesus has more than four facets...

Found it in a Carl Jung book, Man and his symbols. "Animals, and groups of four, are universal religious symbols".

Never said or implied he doesn't user.

By the way what's the relationship between the evangelists, their animals and the four horsemen, if any?

Apart from the creatures saying "come" each time a horseman is presented. To be honest I don't understand shit in John since he's clearly not meant to be read literally.

They seem related.

Your pic is wrong, actually.

Matthew: Jesus as King of the Jews, in Hebrew, to the Hebrews, showing Jesus as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah.

Mark: Jesus as the Suffering Servant, the Ox, to the Romans.

Luke: Jesus as the Son of Man, to the Greeks.

John: Jesus as the Son of God, the Eagle, to the world.

No, they're cherubim. satan used to be in charge of them.

You can walk an unbelieving Jew through 300 messianic prophecies that Jesus fulfilled, and they will deny them all from Unbelief.

If a person does not believe Moses and the Prophets, he will not believe Jesus either. Because if he believed Moses and the Prophets, he would also believe in Jesus, because they spoke of Him.

This is a spiritual thing, not an intellectual thing, and the Jews have been blinded in part until the full number of the church is reached.

Noting God is hyper-dimensional in that He appears to us as a Trinity, which we cannot fully comprehend, the four in four facets may not represent four planes, or pictures, at all.

God is an n-dimensional being, but what is n? I'm not suggesting it is 4, but I'm not saying 4 is not related to the answer either.

>Jesus
>fulfilling any prophecies at all

reddit.com/r/Judaism/wiki/jesus

The facets relate to Jesus, not the authors, and I'm not sure what if any correlation they have to the four horsemen the cherubim announce.

I'm trying to relate

Lion
Eagle
Ox
Man

to

Antichrist
War
Famine
Pestilence

But I don't see an obvious connection.

Hundreds.

Yes, those would be the aforementioned blinded Jews. I'll show you what they do.

Murder the Messiah.
Reject the Kingdom.
Blame the Murdered Messiah for not bringing in the Rejected Kingdom.

And because Jesus did not do that 2000 years ago, they think He is not going to do that 7 years from now, give or take. Because Jesus is still alive, and He is still the Messiah, and He is still fulfilling every single prophecy about Him there has ever been made.

>The Messiah will basically be a human religious leader and a warrior king born of a young woman. He will not die and come back, rather he will live a mortal life within which he fulfill the prophetic expectations.

Isaiah 53:12 Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great, And He will divide the booty with the strong; Because He poured out Himself to death, And was numbered with the transgressors; Yet He Himself bore the sin of many, And interceded for the transgressors.

Matthew 27
At that time two robbers were crucified with Him, one on the right and one on the left.

>And interceded for the transgressors.

Luke 23:34
Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” And they divided His garments and cast lots.

Don't these four symbols belong to something older? Like the Sphinx and astrology?

>Eagle -> Scorpio
>Lion -> Leo
>Man-> Aquarius
>Ox -> Tarus

I don't know where you're getting that but the traditional attribution of the Evangelists is:

Matthew - Man
Mark - Lion
Luke - Ox
John - Eagle

The stars God made for signs are older than the Sphinx and astrology; the zodiac you know is a bastardized version of what the true signs should be.

Traditional to whom?

>Eagle -> Scorpio

Who would win a fight between Matthew, Mark, Luke and John?

The church.

OP read Daniel 7-12, huge influence on the NT

Oh, the Whore of Babylon? Yeah, she can't get anything right.

Matthew is Man because he starts out with a genealogy.

Luke also starts out with a genealogy.

John, easy. Matthew's a scrawny tax collector; John Mark was just a kid; Luke was a doctor; John is one of the Sons of Thunder.

No the church.

Is there anyone else who shares your view or has it only been revealed to you?

In terms of mythological

At least in esoteric astrology, Scorpio has three totems. scorpion, lizard and eagle. Eagle is supposedly the 'refined' version of Scorpio

This is the first I've ever heard of anyone claiming anything different, actually.

Did I mention your church is an abomination?

Matthew

Matthew, being a Levite, emphasizes Jesus as the Messiah, the Lion of the Tribe of Judah. Each of the subtleties of his design supports this primary theme. His genealogy begins with the "first Jew," Abraham, and continues through David and the royal line to the legal father of Jesus, Joseph.

Matthew's emphasis is on the fulfillment of the prophecies of the Tenach, the Old Testament.

As a customs official, Matthew was skilled in shorthand, an essential asset in a culture that did not have the advantages of printing, copiers, and the like. Matthew focuses on what Jesus said, and includes the extensive discourses, which he probably was able to take down verbatim.

Matthew's first miracle is the cleansing of a leper, a Jewish metaphor for sin itself. Matthew concludes with the resurrection, also a distinctive Jewish preoccupation.

Luke

Luke was a Gentile and a doctor, and his Gospel reflects a very distinctive point of view, emphasizing Jesus as the Son of Man. His genealogy begins with Adam, the first man. From Abraham to David, his list is identical to that of Matthew. However, when he gets to David, he doesn't track through Solomon (the first surviving son of Bathsheba) but through a different son, Nathan (the second surviving son of Bathsheba). He continues through to Heli, the father of Mary. (Joseph is the son-in-law of Heli). 1 As a Gentile, Luke's emphasis is different. His emphasis is Christ's humanity; he focuses on what Jesus felt. His first miracle is the expulsion of a demon, a very human concern. Luke concludes with the promise of the giving of the Holy Spirit, which is a natural bridge to his subsequent volume, The Book of Acts .

Mark

Mark is the amanuensis (secretary) for Peter, and he emphasizes Jesus as the obedient Servant of YHWH. His is the only Gospel with no concern for pedigree or genealogy. He focuses on what Jesus did ; it deals in graphic images, almost like a movie or video shooting script. Mark concludes with the final visual appearance, the Ascension.

Then you've been living under a rock.

>Eagle -> Scorpio

Yeah, both representing the metaphysical aspect of water in some occult traditions.

John

John had a very distinctive view, emphasizing Jesus as the Son of God. He focuses on who Jesus was . His "genealogy" is that of the Preexistent One, constituting his opening verses. His Gospel is organized around seven miracles, seven discourses, and seven "I AM" statements.

John's first miracle involves the use of the water of purification being changed to wine at Cana, a private demonstration to the disciples that Jesus was preeminent even over the Levitical priesthood. John concludes with the promise of Jesus' return, and becomes the appropriate prequel to John's final tome, The Revelation .

No, I am just not in bed with the Whore of Babylon, because that bed is death.

How old are you that you don't know Whores lie?

Ah, I see. You are still at the shapes, color and form stage of brain development. You are what, 2?

>muh stained glass windows cannot lie

Assuming you're referring to the Roman Catholic Church, I am not Roman Catholic.

Here's a picture from a Lutheran blog (byproclamation.wordpress.com/tag/four-evangelists/) to demonstrate that the tradition transcends denominations.

OP here senpaitachi, it's enough you two. You different versions are both interesting for me. Although the church one was the one known by me as well, the four commentaries on each evangelist by the protestant are interesting for me too.

That said, enough is enough, please go to debate which sect of christianity is better somewhere else. It has nothing to do with the thead once you've both given your insight about the evangelists.

Again with the idiotic pictures.

I give you concise demonstrative arguments. Words. Ideas.

t. cyber police

It's a request, not an order. You're both free to shit up the thread if you don't care about anything, of course.

In other words your opinions.

The pictures are concrete evidence that these are the traditional attributions.