Why are the Celts always portrayed as half naked barbarians while they used this kind of armor since before Rome even...

Why are the Celts always portrayed as half naked barbarians while they used this kind of armor since before Rome even existed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_Gaul
it.pinterest.com/pin/420242208952477167/
lordotrings.com/interview.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

a significant amount of them chose to fight naked. Enough that it became their stereotype and iconic feature.
But they were master metal workers and the more screwed on warriors would wear your image or later on mail.

Because #NotAllCelts are equal.

>a significant amount of them chose to fight naked.

Source?

Because in the sources many were depicted as fighting in the nude or without much armour:

"The Insubres and Boii deployed wearing trousers and light cloaks, but the swagger and bravado of the Gaesatae was such that they cast their clothes aside and stood in front ranks naked, apart from their weaponry -- a practical move, they thought, seeing that the area was dotted with thorny shrubs that would snag their clothing and make it more difficult for them to wield their weapons."

The Histories - Polybius [28]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_Gaul

It depends. If you were a wealthy chieftain, or a warrior part of a chief's retinue, you might be expected to have some decent armor. Everyone supplied their own kit.

Many Roman leves only had a roughspun tunic for protection. So would a large portion of hoplite militias.

Armor is kind a meme anyway, when a 15 year old with a sling can still kill you.

Never saw that picture, thanks op.

It looks crooked, was it made crooked of did it deform over time?

I don't know, can't find much information on it, it's from France and dates back to 900-800 bc, it's very similar to other armors from around the Danube, which date back to a similar period (1300-900 bc).

I guess they can't be really considered celtic, maybe proto celtic or central European would be a more appropiate term, still it was developed by their ancestors or people related to them, only that celtic culture proper was born later, at least conventionally.

>Why are the Celts always portrayed as half naked barbarians

gee i wonder

Holy shit 900 bc, thats even more impressive.

Any links you could give me on this?

Imagine digging this thing up, that must have been amazing.

Only found two pics of it on pinterest with a brief description:

it.pinterest.com/pin/420242208952477167/

1) Some celts did fight half naked. Full even. But this was during the early days of Celtic period. Alongside Chariot usage.
2) Celts equipped themselves personally. You have loaded gentlemen with chainmail (or your bronze shit before chainmail was invented) and awesome helmets, with a longsword and a big nice shield

And then you had the chumps with only a sword/spear/shield to their name and maaaaaybe a helmet that used to belong to their grandad.

NO CANCEL THAT, the Chumpiest, poorest, Celtic warrior was simply told to chuck shit at the enemy like slings/javelins/shitty Celtic bows.

Ancient depictions are always naked, the chroniclers often comment on it.
This is wrong though, the nobles were just as likely to go nude as someone from a lower class. It was a choice to forgo protection

Celts who weren't part of the warrior class weren't actually allowed to fight. This only changed during the late Celtic period.

Weren't most of the warrior class though?

Polybius states that the Celts were skilled in war and farming, but nothing else.

Were the farmers a separate class, or is Polybius just inaccurate?

>scoliosis

Celts { Celtic culture

Those who were part of the broad Celt culture weren't necessarily Celtic speaking.

Going naked/unarmored was probably done as a sign of confidence, either to intimidate the enemy or to show off to your allies.

Some Celts were more pragmatic in battle than others, both in terms of equipment and tactics.

>celtic "culture"
hate this meme

some celts did it because they wouldent get dirty fabric pushed into their wounds, lowering their chances of infection by a massive amount

Polybius only knew what he saw, I'm sure he didnt go into celtic lands and see the hordes of bonded peasants tied to the lands by their feudal, yes feudal, obligations. The Celts were basically feudal.

The Celts were more advanced than the Romans and Greeks let on, they had road systems for example, and quite sophisticated politics.

Considering he missed the whole metalworking and artisanship thing, Polybius probably is. The whole "cultureless barbarians" thing doesn't really go along well with the archaeological record.

From what I understand, Celtic culture typically an unfree (serfs), a free and a noble class, and slaves of course. Fighting was typically done by the free and noble classes, often for the sake of status.

No.
Just no.
Actually

no

How the fuck were they feudal if they had only a few forts?

>How the fuck were they feudal if they had only a few forts?
Feudal doesn't = castles.
But a few forts is bullshit, they had thousands of hill forts.

They weren't completely feudal in the medieval sense but there isnt a better word

Well they didn't have a single one in 900 BC, I don't know about the classical ones from the V-1st century bc, but thousand ma seems like an overextimation

Here's the piece from Polybius on Celt life

They lived in unwalled p285villages, without any superfluous furniture; 10 for as they slept on beds of leaves and fed on meat and were exclusively occupied with war and agriculture, their lives were very simple, and they had no knowledge whatever of any art or science. 11 Their possessions consisted of cattle and gold, because these were the only things they could carry about with them everywhere according to circumstances and shift where they chose. 12 They treated comradeship as of the greatest importance, those among them being the most feared and most powerful who were thought to have the largest number of attendants and associates

The ancients had a hard on for the naked body aesthetic. If we used them as a guide, all the greek warriors were naked too.

Besides, there was a great diversity between and even within tribes. And what about hybrid populations, like the kelto-hellenic settlements? They weren't called thorakitai for not wearing a thorax.

that's pretty far from what archaeology tells us

Because muh woad.

You've got to remember the Celts spanned from Britain to the Balkans and hillforts are half build if you use existing hills a lot which they did.
Thats why i said some of them were naked and the Greeks made that typical of them in writing and depictions.

Thorakitai weren't Celts.

WE

Well he was speaking of the Celts in the plains of Northern Italy.

Not kelto-hellenic thorakitai ;)

What about Galatians? They are typically portrayed as wearing armor.

>Not kelto-hellenic thorakitai ;)
EB2 is wrong. Kelto-hellenic thorakitai weren't a thing.

Galatians are almost always portrayed nude but they did adopt a mix of greek armour.

You know EBII is a volunteer effort right? They are recruiting historians as we speak. If you take issue with anything, it's because you haven't done your part.

A good 25% of their units are straight up fictional and they lie about having evidence they don't have. Some of their factions like the kushites are beyond wrong. Their historical names are not historical either.

Its a very overrated mod.

Like I said, if you haven't responded to their call for historians to help with accuracy you have no right to criticize. Especially not on here. They are real people and can be spoken to.

>A practical move, they thought, seeing that the area was dotted with thorny shrubs that would snag their clothing

And not their skin???

They ain't no pussies

Are Celts the inspiration for dwarves?
>lived in mountainous areas (Hallstatt culture)
>were master metal workers

The culture which they evolved from (unetice) were very skilled in the early bronze age and arguably made the best weapons, tools and jewellery in Europe at that time. (They also made sky disks)

I'm just making my own mod instead.
I tried to help them but they ignored my advice.

see, that's all you had to say. What mod?

Ancient Empires.

No, the Jew were. Not even meming.

Not in all cases.

The original dwarves were in no way based on Jews; Tolkien's potentially.

>The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic

― J.R.R. Tolkien

lordotrings.com/interview.asp

I'll check it out then.

Because celts battled with the torso naked as a sign of bravery. They also collected the heads of their dead enemies and made collars of them.

because that's probably what a noble would wear
chainmail was only for the rich and most normal warriors would charge into battle half naked

No.

He's confusing a small band at telamon for a significant percentage of celts.

That's one tribe. Not a significant percentage of celts.

>Armor is kind a meme anyway,
You are a retard.

>what is a sample

>He's confusing a small band at telamon for a significant percentage of celts.
No, I'm really not. Almost all depictions of Celts as warriors portray them nude. You are simply incorrect on this but we can go down to the evidence if you want. I can pull out the steles.

Celts were pretty advanced, pic related. I guess it is because most of stuff we know about Celts is based on Roman sources and their even more advanced civilization/arrogant pride/shameless propaganda

Almost all depictions of reeks portray them as nude as well.

They weren't.

Vanilla total wars also recruit historians, probably more prestigious and prepared than those working for this kind of mods for free.

Having an historian doesn't mean much because in the end the historian will be forced to accept "well, ok, it maybe happened one time since it's in this primary source". You could justify arabian winged snakes with that.

One very large tribe.

Otherwise tribes mentioned in the source only wore trousers are light cloaks, they fit "half naked" as the OP posted.

>Almost all depictions of reeks portray them as nude as well.
This is not true. The majority of depictions of Greeks in a military sense are in tunics and armour.

>Vanilla total wars also recruit historians, probably more prestigious and prepared than those working for this kind of mods for free.
Creative Assembly don't hire historians, they make the rosters up themselves with a bit of research and a lot of bullshit because they don't care about accuracy but cool units.

For fucks sake.

The Britons are mentioned being naked
The mainland Celts are
The Galatians are

They had a wide spread cultural practice of stripping for combat, not all of them did it, probably not even the majority did it, but enough of them did, over a wide area and period, to make it one of their defining features.

You guys need to stop with your "Sensible revisionism", the Celts like to shake their willies at romans okay?

Reply to the wrong guy?

The fact that they ignore the historians doesn't mean they don't hire them. The same is done with movies.

They don't hire them. I have been to their offices and spoken with their staff.

EB has horrid historical accuracy. Their Seleukid roster is pure fantasy.

Speaking of weird shit in EB, what's with the wierd ass super-heavy Goidelic guys

WUZ

CLOTHED

Those aren't in EB 2.

Because armor was invented by the Romans. If you weren't a Roman, or a chieftain who had killed a Roman, you wouldn't know what armor was, let alone have a set.

What an absolute retard, the pic in the first post shows an armor from 900/800 BC

He was obviously being totally serious, you sure showed him.

Because sumerians were jelly of the famous celtic legions of Galatia and their mass-produced armours manufactured by Otzi Corporation in their Belgian plants.

Talked about celtic people is retarded anyway since you're assuming all gauls, britons and most of the germanic people are the same

>Le bait meme

You're both scum.

Caesar pls leave

Clothes take time to make, small scratches ain't no thing.

I really feel like this "don't push dirty clothes into wounds" is total bullshit. I've heard it about troops all throughout time and it seems like utter bullshit. Why would your shirt be any dirtier than the fucking sword thrust into your body?

Yeah well my dad owns CA and says he personally hires historians!

If you personally do not have armor it is not really that bad of a idea. Bits of textile getting into wounds can very easily cause infection. When cleaning a wound it is one of the things to look for to remove.

He's talking about their personalities. But mythologically wise, they were obviously inspired by the Norse Dwarves.

the fuck is eb

Jesus christ get out of here you idiots. Stop spouting this cloth infection meme, it doesn't exist.

You always reply that to me when i say so, do i need to prove it again to you?