Almost every time I ask a Liberal Arts student how they chose their major:

Almost every time I ask a Liberal Arts student how they chose their major:
>uhhh I don't know what I'm doing

Well what kind of job are you shooting for?
>i-im just doing generals right now

Are these people actually this stupid? You take out a 25k loan to, in a sense, find yourself then cry when you're in debt until the day you die??

Year one
What's your major?
>Pre-med

Year two
What's your major?
>Liberal arts

higher education right out of high school for some is not the best option, and is a meme that is pushed by the schools honestly. every administrator is looking for funding/getting paid off.

I agree, If you cannot forecast a future career path for yourself, better to enter the workforce and earn money/develop career ideas than go into debt.

college has become a daycare for adult children.

developing a career without a college degree is pretty much near fucking impossible. This isn't the 50's.

if you go to a good enough school, it doesn't really matter. the problem is that everyone who didn't get into a good school decided to meme out

Do you think $25k is a lot to go for college or something? Even if you don't know what you're doing, i'd say it's worth it

You could go to trade school. I don't know what it costs but I know plumbers and electricians make way more than English majors, and with less schooling.

Where do you get a college degree for $25k?

these morons are just lower/middle class peeps playing at being upper class.

Arts degrees have their place; when you can fuck around and still take a VP position at your family's company

If you think even 10% of liberal arts fags have those kinds of connections you're deluding yourself.

Have you never seen all the new money asians fucking around at schools like RISD and Calarts?

this was me, until i failed calculus, it was my parents idea anyway. i always wanted to do nothing. except i actually ended up in the black from going to college.

>taking out a loan
>not earning a scholarship
thats where everyone fucks up. There is no point in throwing away money to be an undergrad, especially when the freshman and sophomore year courses for literally every major are offered at community colleges everywhere. Just go inflate your grades at a CC and then transfer in on an academic scholarship. Alternatively, do steroids for two years at a CC where you take all your intro courses and then walk on to a sports team of your choice and get an athletic scholarship on day 1.

Taking out loans is for idiots.

Do you know the difference between liberal arts and visual arts?

>take gen ed courses at CC
>transfer to bigger uni
>nickel and diming school only accepts 60% of the credits

some peepz need some sort of abstraction enabler to really get how stupid you are and how they'll get the money with their hands more than with their head.
Liberal Arts provide that. the level of abstraction is high, you see the required concept to ask yourself simple questions about the future.
in this world, nothing is free for real, so they grow up in the process, some even get a grip on their life, they get clever about their stupidness.
but that goes with a cost.
i'm fine with this.

Obviously you shouldn't take any courses at a community college without checking ahead to see if your desired institution(s) would accept the credit. Many state schools will tell you ahead of time if they're accepting from your local CC.

I did two years at a CC for free cuz I placed into the honors program. Finished my BA with like $7000 in debt and paid that off real quick.

Little did I know that a degree in International Affairs doesn't guarantee a job in the state department. I really just wanted a job where I could get work placements overseas.

Now I'm interested in a contractor job (not a defense one) in Afghanistan doing supply chain or logistics while I'm young and dumb.

I'm running into this problem currently, but it's very risky changing your major in Florida. If you go over 132 credit hours you have to pay double tuition for each credit hour after.

>Not being in a 3/2 or 4/2 program
>Not getting a well rounded education plus STEM

It's like you enjoy being either underemployed or a skilled technician with few prospects outside of the job that you specifically trained for.

not the united states

ya sure ill get a history degree along side my CS degree just for the sake of being "well rounded". much easier than reading a history book every now and then, and definitely not a waste of money.

Your inability to understand why having a liberal arts degree is going to facilitate your movement into and through high society demonstrates exactly what I mean.

...I mean, yeah, that's about the gist of it.

Every 17 year old has this idealized view of their life when they apply to colleges; they're going to go to school, earn some gen-eds, and all of a sudden, they're just going to discover their life's calling without ever stepping foot in the real world, devoting any time to real world pursuits, or taking on any responsibility. As if figuring out what you want to do with your life is some sort of (((((happening))))) that just occurs to you, and you have no control over or role in.

Which, when you think about it, is probably the way their parents wound up where they are; they just, you know, did stuff after college, and applied to a job when school was over, and from there on, they just kinda fell into their current place, through a series of accidents and events that largely just "happened" to them, and they took no active part in determining.

It worked for boomers, because jobs were plentiful and the economy was in full growth mode from 1950-1980; finding a job or career wasn't hard, and required relatively minimal specialized skills. That isn't the case today.

but thats still an education investment and you wont want to go to real college for some time after you get settled into that job.

Personally I recommend Federal Service to all young neets

I agree with the idea, but I'd argue that the general education requirements are enough to give students a broad view of the world.

Gen eds include:
1) Primary level economics
2) Western and Eastern Civ
3) Psychology and Sociology
4) Civics / Government

Isn't this the standard gen ed list for most universities? I think so. These classes can give the student a basic understanding of what has happened and what is happening in the world around them.

The problem is, as you have stated before, the requirements of these courses are so lax that a caveman could do it. Students are inclined to BS their easier courses so they can focus more on the more challenging ones. In my case, I thought that all of the courses listed above were dogshit easy. I'll also admit that I didn't approach these classes with the desire to learn, but only with the desire to get them out of the way.

>a meme that is pushed by the schools honestly. every administrator is looking for funding/getting paid off.

It's a fucking conspiracy of evil old faggots tricking 17-year olds.

And it really doesn't help if your parents are stupid fucking boomers who never went to college themselves. They have no perspective and just parrot stupid shit like average wage statistics.

t. butthurt lawyer 100k in debt unemployed for 6 months

Canada

>primary level economics
basically teaches you nothing. They barely even get into marginal returns or any of the calculus-derived profit models for micro, and macro is even more basic because literally everything is a distraction due to the inability to create independent/closed systems.
>western/eastern civ
most schools have bullshit alternatives to these classes. Honest-to-god history classes are getting harder and harder to find; everything is "history through the lens of [insert liberal-arts meme department here]". I took classical greek history, and studied AP euro and american history, and I'm lucky I did; those classes did not exist at my university (which was a top-50 state school, aka "not a joke school").
>psychology/sociology
101-level courses are "how well can you memorize the text"-tier. You don't actually expand your world view. That said, they're probably more useful than the equivalent history/civ courses.
>civics/government
most schools only require poli sci OR history as a gen ed. That being said, poli sci is all taught through the lens of the classical academic bias, which is statist and historically very liberal/globalist. Loose constitutional interpretations, classic liberal bias, etc. etc.

Overall, economics is probably the best of the gen eds at most schools, since at least they require the use of logical thought and critical thinking to get a good grade, and they teach shit as close as we can approximate to how things actually are in the current societal system.

Gen eds at most schools typically asked you to take ~20% of your credits in "4 of 6-8" categories, consisting typically of econ, math, hard science, history, psychology/sociology, political science, literature, language/linguistics, and/or typically some "diversity-themed" topic.

Gen eds at most larger schools don't truly offer perspective-challenging concepts, simply because there are too many options for courses, and not enough requirements.

College cost me 150k. But Idgaf because I saw a lot of coed tits. College girls are the best. Worth it.

>tfw dropped out of college and started doing pest control for 45k a year.

Feels good to make as much as a teacher or X-ray tech with zero schooling

>X-ray tech
One of my friends does that, she went through a six week course. Couldn't have cost that much.

Techs make decent cash. Real money is in respiratory therapy right now. I clear close to 75k

Anywhere but the US

why is everyone overlooking the trades?
im thinking about going into it but you guys make it seem like its total shit

>why is everyone overlooking the trades?
b/c ur not entrepreneur making $2mil on the first year

jus b urselfs and entrepreneurship your way to the top

>become journeyman
>contract out younger tradesmen
>be entrepreneur

? ?

You just described me perfectly. I didn't know what I wanted to do, and wasn't smart enough for math/science/engineering/etc., so I decided to get a worthless economics degree since my parents wanted me to go to university. Now I'm entering my final year and my future career prospects look dim. Thankfully my parents paid my tuition fees and I stayed at home and commuted, so I have no debt.

>taking loans for university
Why do poor people do this? Just be born into a wealthy family

You fuckin shit for brains. This is the best time to start a business. The loan rates right now are the lowest they've been since the fucking 50's. Even the simplest tool can start a lawn mowing business and rake in 200k+ depending on how long a dick he has.
Hell, in most states you can literally take a fucking test to get a general contractor's license, buy insurance, and pull out a loan to start mass producing homes.
Your a fucking cuck who can't seem to use his brain outside the limits of what he learned while sucking his mom's tit. That or your too much of a pussy to walked away from your slave wages and take the risk by pulling out a loan.

>take a loan goy, take the jump
>it will work, don't think about the consequences

>Fell for my schools "do what you want any degree is instant success" meme
>German and Italian Studies
>Spent the whole time depressed so I didn't even study, let alone make friends or do internships or anything

Just fucking hand me the helium brah

I don't have a single entrepenurial bone in my body. I can't even spell it. If I had a particular skill I might though, right now I am more like "that guy who can make copies, do data entry, sell things" that sort of doofy monkey guy.

>college was worth paying 150k so I could see coed tits

...why not just visit a college campus on weekends and party for free?

>want to get bullshit general ed. outta the way for cheap before I go to uni

>"""study""" for transfer degree

>hate meme art degrees

>chose the science option - more business, science, and math courses

>ez 3.7+ gpa and no debt

>still feel like a fucking meme

>don't feel like I learned anything

>forgot what I want to do when I transfer

It hurts.

This is what happens when your education system doesn't separate academia from vocationary.

>licence in political sciences, basically having fun for 3 years both in class and outside, as little "work" is needed if you already have an interest in history, sociology and economy
>take a master in data analysis
>3 years as a market researcher
>move on to be a business analyst at a big corp
ehe

It's retarded, its a giant country wide collusion scam of a business between high schools and colleges to MAKE SURE kids are signing up for college, even if they aren't ready those retarded counselors will tell them what to do! They know you can't do jack shit without college anymore which is retardedly good in their favor. I took 2 years off when I graduated high school from going to college because I still didn't know what I wanted to do, I know what I was told to do but best not listen to those retards at the campuses. Most of this shit you could do in 2-3 years anyways instead of 4 but you're paying for a lot of these failure liberal arts classes because they force you take them. What a joke.

Just like the other guy said it also didn't help that everyone's parents were either retarded dumb shit Boomers or Gen X'ers who barely passed high school and rush you on going to college because all the manufacturing jobs are gone.

I stuck around with Accounting for a long time and I just want to take my CPA exam already, fuck university.

As a non normie I am lolling at what's happening in the UK. I got 100 % free university education in Scotland. In England students have fees of 9k per year (usually three or four year degrees). And now the fees will go up by inflation (probably to £9.25k at) AND the interest in the loans will be at least 3 %. And there are now no longer any grants for poor people, only more loans.

In the UK the universities are a racket. They're all public sector ones that let anyone in

>finish highschool with good grades
>get accepted in health science
>first semester passed with meh grades
>transfer to nat. science for winter semester
>fail 5 out of 7 classes and got expelled
>1 years now in night school fixing my grades up hopping to get back in

atleast im not in debt

>No, don't take a loan to earn a degree that can earn you a predictable income in an obvious way
>Take out a loan to start a business doing something potentially risky that you may not have any idea how to do instead

People who sit around bitching about how they got screwed over by "the system" piss me off to no end, but advocating people with no chops start going after business loans instead of student loans doesn't fix the problem, it just moves it somewhere else.

>tfw had comfy comp sci career path planned out at local community college
>"Surprise! You have received a full ride scholarship to this elite school"
>cant compete with chinks and poos who already have years of experience and are just in general autistic as fuck
>going into 2nd year still trying to find a major
Now I'm trying to decide if it's better to get a meme (thinking pol sci and advertising) degree for free at an elite school or to get a relatively useful one for free at a community college (my mom is a janitor there and all employees can have their families get free tuition).

I just want a comfy decent paying job. I'd be more than happy with anything above $40k

There's a lot of options. Go to trade school, youll make 40k easily. Go for Information Systems and Accounting and be an IT auditor. Pick up Finance, Economics. It's not terribly difficult to find something that will get your foot in the door.

I am at UPenn linguistics major, but minor in CS and math.

okay shit for brains, thats why plebs like those with no skills stay plebs. because they sit on their ass and don't take risks. FOR FUCKS SAKE. College is taught by people who went to college to teach other people shit studies like French literature.
what is the worst that can happen? your business fails, and you have to claim bankruptcy? oh what ever will i do?
get back up, live like a pauper, do it again.
and again. until you fucking get a niche that works for you. you stupid senseless shit. and please don't refer to credit scores. if you walk into a bank with a good enough presentation, you'll get the fucking loan. they are itching to hand those out.

No, telling people to not get out there and try doesn't fix the problem. If they fail, they will learn.

honestly, the more people who sit around bitching about how they got screwed over by the "system" make me happy. because that means more fools who think they are "educated" come to me looking for work. its fucking hilarious when classmates of mine who can't find a job after college come to me and ask for a job to learn how to pump brad nails into quarter panels.

>Work harder, slave! Support my ponzi scheme economic system!
>Force everyone to go to college to siphon money out of them
>Be surprised that a lot of them don't know what they're doing there
Clearly your problem is that you are low on feces. You need to eat more shit.

Not everyone had college-educated parents or mentors to guide them with sensible advice.

Why do people believe this? You can easily build a career without a college degree if you're actually willing to work and follow opportunity.