Used car is 10% cheaper

>used car is 10% cheaper

>new car has 0% interest loan

why buy used? i mean, sure, grab a $3000 cash car. but we can't drive corollas forever.

who is throwing 15k+cash at once? you must be rich as hell. i would rather make some payments and put the rest of that into something that makes money, rather than a glorified utility like an automobile

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
gwgwheels.com/vlog/item/43-infiniti-q40-awd-2015
youtube.com/watch?v=uqpCXKfvUEg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>can't drive corollas forever

Why the hell not?

>but we can't drive corollas forever.

Why not exactly?

My last 3 cars have been used subarus that I pitched shortly after they hit 200k. Haven't paid more than 5000 for a car ever. I just let a broker find me a single owner one with full maintenance logs in excellent condition.

Buying new cars is a waste of money. They are consumable goods, and their depreciation is not linear. Buying 50k cars that have minimal maintenance problems is vastly more efficient. If you want a new car for whatever reason, you are wasting money. That's your choice. It's not like dealerships are going to provide a better experience than a good mechanic.

Buy a shitbox with good safety ratings and maybe splurge on a few nice features like heated seats. Slap a 2.5 million comprehensive insurance policy on it so you don't have to worry about who pays to reattach your legs if you get broad sided by a freight train and stop giving a shit.

>buy new car
>work hard to pay it off
>now you have equity in car
>automated cars become industry standard
>insurance for meat popsicle controlled vehicles skyrockets
>used car market crashes virtually overnight
>vehicles now only worth their value in scrap metal
>this is happening in 5 years

Lease your car like a smart person.

This.

Not everyone grew up in burgerland, where you are trained to value your self worth by the car you own from the age of 3.

There's no reason insurance would increase for human drivers.

The average family wont have autonomous cars for a good 15 years.

my car is a 1997 sentra. got it for 1k.. I dont really see the point of buying brand new. A vehicle is just a lump of metal to take you from A to B nothing more

>the Internet will never take off. Your average family won't have a desktop computer in their home for another 15 years.

Yes I'll take "famous last words" for 500, Alex.

I have never seen a 0% loan. Why would this even be a thing
dumbest thing ive read all day

Autism: the post.

Manufacturers offer 0% 5 year notes. They make money off moving vehicles, not $2000 interest over half a decade.

Because they only offer the 0% loan if you meet certain specific conditions. They inflate the price of the car. Sure you aren't paying 'interest', but you are paying just as much, if not more.

There's no reason to ever buy a car in person. Find what you want, and let a broker handle the acquisition for you. It usually costs a few hundred dollars, and it will almost always save you money. Sometimes thousands.

Literally never seen this except for brand new cars

The internet didnt have to go through a mass of beaurocratic red tape. Automated cars will be what your kids buy after they graduate college

>why would a car dealership offer 0% financing?
TO SELL A FUCKING CAR BRO

And that's why I mentioned 0% specifically for a new car and compared that to the initial savings of a used vehicle?

The post i replied to didnt say new. Why would you ever buy new? Your car significantly depreciates the day you drive it off the lot. New cars are for suckers

because Americans are fucking cucks.

>be me, win pic related (Infinity Q40 AWD, 5k miles) on Copart for 8k
>spend 6k fixing it up into perfect condition
>drive a 40k car for only 15k (dmv fees, etc, included)

Who the fuck wants to fix a car? Id rather buy something that runs for 5k than buy a bunch of work for any price

Automated cars probably won't even become standard by the time you die

Nothing stops you from hiring a mechanic.

Flipping cars can be quite profitable as a hobby. You pay mechanics to do some of the difficult stuff, and fine tune things yourself. I don't personally do it, but I know plenty of people that do.

I make a living doing that. Buy cheap cars for $500 on Craigslist, fix it up and then resell it for $3000-$4000.

I'm fine with driving a corolla and Camry forever. I have a 2005 Camry, expect it live past 200k. Why waste your money if it still can get you from point A to point B safely. Salesmen and the auto companies will need to do more to get me to fork the bucks for a new car that loses half of its value when you put the key in the ignition and turn it on.

Cool meme grandpa, thanks for the bday card btw!

a fucking shop does. i will drive this for a few months and sell for 25k and make 10k profit. keep driving your shitty 2001 honda civic and spending thousands on maintenance.

Thats all well and good if thats how you want to spend your free time. But dude was implying youre a cuck not to go get a bargain out of the scrapheap. I disagree with that thesis

C U C K

Who buys a car that was in that bad of an accident? Lol

someone who can take it to a frame shop and get it pulled into perfect condition for $400. once that's done, buy the pieces and put it together like lego.

also, hope you like it

My toyota is 18 years old and ive only ever performed basic maintenance and replaced one alternator. And i dont want to spend my free time working. Much rather enjoy some beers on the lake or at a ball game. But you do you

your corolla depreciated so much in value over 18 years that you have lost big $$$.

And quit pretending thats your car faggot

Yes im sure the 3500 i put into it has slightly depreciated. Might only sell for 3000 now

bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Thats a pretty sweet irrelevant link. Heres a link you might like
gwgwheels.com/vlog/item/43-infiniti-q40-awd-2015

Thx for the ad revenue

Pic related is my car, if your wondering about the stickers, they add 5 horsepower per sticker, and the minions make it more aerodynamic when I'm going down the track at 350 MPH

Those of us buying 4k used cars don't really care. I fully expect to drive this car into the ground, at that point when I have more disposal income, sure maybe I'll get something a little nicer,

You're all fucking cucks if you don't steal cars.

>You're all fucking white if you don't steal cars.

Fixed

Thanks for sharing, man. Enjoyed your post.

As a mechanic I would say, never buy a new car if you don't want to waste your money.

Just buy a middle to end 90's car. The parts are cheap and you can fix the most stuff by yourself. I've bought a Opel astra f caravan 5 years ago with 210.000km (I live in germany...). Insurance is about 40€ per month and car tax 108€ per year. I've spent < 300€ till now for parts and tires. Sure I'm able to repair the car by myself, but everyone with an IQ > 50 could fix it too (and by the way you maybe learn something which you could use to make some money. I talk about oil change, break jobs or other easy stuff)

Do you guys not realize the stupidity in constantly buying 3k dollar shit boxes? Do the math, you buy each car on its death bed practically, and if by the grace of God you can squeeze 20k miles out of it before it blows up or shits itself causing you to drop another 1k on it in repairs, consider yourself lucky. The smarts behind buying a new car aren't as obvious as most, but they're certainly not nonexistent. Sure, you pay the price of 5-7 of those shit can cars, but one of the things you're paying for is risk management. You'll have a bunch of warranties and guarantees for a long ass time. And even after they're up, the car itself will most likely run until the 200k mark before you'd have to sell it.

3-5k for each 10-20k miles if you're lucky = a fuck load of risk and a fuck load of cost.

15-20k for each 200k miles with countless guarantees, not to mention both comfort and peace of mind = half the price with more than double the safety and reliability.

It's like you retards have never had a math course in your life.

OP, it really depends on the type of car.

For typical sedans, i would probably go used. Howevever, my job requires a reliable pickup truck, so I looked into tacomas.

To my amazement those trucks with 100k miles and five years old still sell for above $18k. So i said fuck it and dropped 25k on a brand new one. Couldnt be happier.

It's really comes down to what the person is worth. For low net worth people, rather than spending too much, it's a better value for them to spend their time fixing run down used vehicles.

I get what you mean, but still; it's more cost effective AND lower risk to buy new, even on a higher interest loan. Not to mention other people around notice that too, and by that, think of you as smarter more practical, if that's important to you.

Yeah I'm all for buying used cars, but that thing is going to be 80% rust in the next year, if it isn't already.

>but we can't drive corollas forever

my 24 year old corolla would like to have a word with you

>buying cars at all

>says others can't math
>can't into math himself

You're ignoring that new cars cost more in monthly insurance than old cars, that old cars are cheaper to repair because the parts can be gotten secondhand and the labor is generally easier, that you need to pay sales tax on it which is larger on an expensive car, that new cars are more of a security risk because people target them for theft, break ins, or random damage. Also, if you pay 5k for a car, it's a pretty damn decent car and can easily get 70-100k miles on it. A shitbox that will only last 10k miles is a 1000 dollar one. Also, not all new cars get 200k miles, many die at 150k. People who own new cars also replace them every few years with a new model, selling the old for a fraction of what they paid for it. You're also forgetting cars rapidly depreciate, so if you always buy new cars you're getting ripped off because what you spend 20k on will be worth 10k in three short years. Then there's the time value of money, if you buy a new car you're tying up more of your cash in it, as opposed to buying used and investing the difference.

Read a fucking book you stupid little kid.

Drove a couple of early 90's cars to death. My 91 Nissan 300zx died last year and I decided to buy new. I figure if I can get 5-7 years out of a shitheap I'll drive this Subaru for 20+ years and won't have to worry about my car not starting or dying on me. I bought new mostly because I only drive manual and I guess they pretty much stopped making new cars with that option 10 years ago so I had to order one.

You sir are the smartest guy in this tread.

were can I find said brokers?

Just listen to He knows what he's taking about.

This guy gets it.

Ok Borat...

>>used car is 10% cheaper

If you're financial choice is to buy a used car at only 10% difference then you're already retarded

Used cars are almost always upwards of 1000% cheaper after as little as 5 years.

i keked outloud at work about the insurance policy.

oh cool, you saw a tech demo on youtube.

I bought a van for 3500$ cash. I put 1200$ into it to replace engine. That's 4700$

I've driven it for the last 7 years, put well over 100,000 km on it.

I do my own repairs, and get all my parts from a salvage yard or cheap from local parts stores who always give me a good price. Never even seen a shop except for the engine swap.

This van was almost 40k brand new.

How the fuck was that a waste of my money?

I am a car salesman.

0%-0.9% is a gimmick. It isually requires enough down payment and a really good credit score to where we make as nuch money as a normal finance.

People walk in cocky all the time saying "imma pay cash, whats your best deal" well honestly we want you to finance bc we get money from the banks to finance you and a cash deal is usually a lot less money.

Leasing is the smartest way to go, otherwise just pay $1000 for a car and ride it out.

Also due to a thing called the NADA we really cant rip you off. No reputable dealership can sell you an overpriced car bc the bank wont accept it. Those were the old days.

Also, if you are a dick and come in with a "i want the best deal or im gonna shop around" attitide I will most likely ask to give you a worse deal, fuck you for being a dick. If you come in and act like a normal human being and I feel like I can drink a beer with you, there will be no negotiation, i will try to hook you up.

Also, we get paid a portion of commision with bonuses set by units sold, but the individual deal is a lot more than the bonus.

The job is rediculously stressful. Some weeks you make $200, some weeksyou make $3,000. Its crazy as hell and I dont recommend it unless you are a crazy motherfucker.

Also car salesman here, dont talk shit about Carollas, Toyotas and Honda run for FUCKING EVER. Thats why they hold value for so long.

Hey guys watch this video register on the link and earn free bitcoins every hour, along the way multiply your bitcoins by playing a simple game of HI-LOW, get your own bitcoin wallet and store your money in a safe place tax-free, it's scam free and you just have to invest a li'l bit of time, ENJOY

youtube.com/watch?v=uqpCXKfvUEg

Too few people realise this. The days of being one step ahead of the salesman are in the past and negotiation in general is a dying or dead art in most industries. The science of maximum profit by best price for the customer was worked out by the newer companies a long time ago.

>Leasing is the smartest way to go, otherwise just pay $1000 for a car and ride it out.

>tfw I'm 28 and have leased every vehicle ever since learning the hard way about the "buying is smarter than leasing!" meme
>tfw leasing is so obviously the smartest option it's absolutely confounding why anyone thinks buying a car is a smart choice

Fuck it feels good man. Brand new car every 3 years, 100% peace of mind, never have to deal with a single maintenance issue all for the low monthly cost of $275/month with $0 down, didn't even pay taxes.

>it's more cost effective AND lower risk to buy new, even on a higher interest loan.

Except it's not if you aren't buying shitty American cars that implode after 30,000 miles.

I drive my cars until they start to need frequent heavy maintenance. For subaru's that seems to be around 200-250k miles. For the toyotas my family drives that's closer to 300k. My mother's manual corolla recently ticked over 500,000. I prefer the subarus because I drive everywhere in New England, and the AWD is worth a bit of extra cost to me. A new subaru with the features I have would cost 30,000+. A used one with 50,000 miles can be easily gotten for less than 10 grand. It's not worth 20,000 dollars to go 50,000 miles when I can go 150,000 for 10. The maintenance costs for the car are relatively static throughout that period.

Cars do not depreciate linearly. Because of that, buying lowish mileage used ones is enormously cheaper. I will grant that buying 1000 dollar rustbuckets is not a good idea, but used is by far more economical in the long term if you put any thought into what you buy.

I found a couple through my credit union. You could probably find something through google. They are obviously more common around larger cities. Once you find a few, you'll find more, because they sort of operate like real estate agents.

I love working with brokers. I specify what I want, down to a mileage range, the condition, and even the color and features. They find stuff for me, and arrange for comprehensive inspections, clear titles, service records, and any other nagging pieces of paperwork. Hell, sometimes it's worth shipping a car across the country. You'd never find a car 2000 miles away from you without a broker, and that's exactly what happened with my current car. Middle of the country, low miles, no rust, perfect maintenance, with all the bells and whistles (LLbean edition outback), 43k miles. 5200 dollars with brokerage fees and shipping to New England included. All I did was fill out some paperwork, and released the hounds. Month later I picked it up at the DMV and registered it on the spot.

I'm honestly continuously astounded at how fucking cheap people are on insurance. For many people, getting 100-250k policies would cost them 100-150 bucks a year.

I have a comprehensive commercial policy on my vehicle. I am insured for up to 2.5 million. Anyone else who is in my vehicle is insured for 1 million on top of that, so even if I alone suck up 2.5 million, any passengers I have still have incredible coverage. You know how much it costs me over having the state minimum? 230 dollars a year. It literally costs me less than a meal at a good restaurant every month. I have a perfect driving record, a 2000 dollar deductible, which is moderately high, and drive an extremely safe and durable car. 220 dollars a year, and giving a fuck is no longer part of my job description.

Leasing is only good if you don't drive a lot. It's peace of mind, but you do pay a premium for it. It is substantially cheaper to buy used, and keeping up on routine maintenance prevents nearly all problems. The problem that people have when they buy cars is that they fail to do proper maintenance, or they just refuse to let go of the car until they are sinking far too much into the vehicle. I said I pitch my cars when they get to 200k. That's right before major problems tend to crop up on the cars I buy. Get out while you are ahead, and don't get stuck in the sunk cost fallacy of thought.

A good mechanic will take care of you and let you know about future problems before they crop up so that you can take care of multiple potential issues at once and save money on labor, and not get stranded. As an example, I just replaced my brake calipers. He noticed them last time I replaced the tires and said I should do it in the next 30-40 thousand miles. 33 thousand miles later, and while the tires are off, I got new calipers. Like everything else in life, it's networking. Find good people, and pay them for their time.

Besides that nobody would ever lease to me. I drive 25k miles every year. 2 years ago I did 40k because of some logistical clusterfucks on delayed projects. By the time you factor in all the fees I'd eat for driving so much, it's actually cheaper to buy a new car outright than to lease.

well if you get zero interest payment for your car go ahead. dont tie cash to car if you can avoid it. but usually the car loans are shitty.

>spending thousands on maintenance
>he doesn't know how to maintain his own car
>he doesn't network and have friends who can fix his car if it is above his knowledge level
>he doesn't just ride until it dies and pays shit for insurance
Jesus, you're retarded. Every "problem" my car has had I Googled and fixed in an hour except one. That one exception I called my grease monkey friend and bought him a 6 pack for his hard work.

Some people are just retarded, you might want to consider going to these great websites next time your car has a problem:
>www.google.com
>www.youtube.com

fixing a car without experience is totally out of question. one does not simply google how to fix car other than how to change oil lol

Doing everything yourself is for people who's time is not valuable. Being unable or unwilling to pay someone to solve a problem well is the sign of someone who lacks forethought. This is the same sort of person who is surprised when things go wrong in the future.

It is not worth my time when I can just hire a professional to get it done right, and get it done fast. A true professional also makes me aware of future issues, so I can plan around them, and often solve them before they occur, which is typically far cheaper in the long run.

You are advocating that everyone should act like a poor person.

>buy a 15k $ car
>"make some payments"
>pay 20-25k
Wut? How is this a good deal?

>paying interest on a depreciating asset
>good
'no'

That isn't automatically a bad thing. If the interest is lower than some other loan, it's still better so you can more efficiently leverage your assets.

20,000 car loan at 2% with a 180,000 personal loan at 5% vs buying the car outright and a 200,000 personal at 5%.

>but we can't drive corollas forever.
I have an acquaintance with almost a million miles on his 1975 Corolla wagon.

Does he live in an area that doesn't have winter? Any car past 300k where I'm from tends to be a rust bucket.

I keked at your observation. I'm an oldfag. My wife use to work for Wang Industries. They were the first to put desktop computer software in auto dealerships. One day in 1977 she came home and told me "soon everyone will have a computer on their desk at home.." and I ridiculed her and said "that would never happen because who would need one???'

Yes. I've heard that story every year at Christmas since 1983.

>New car has a 0% loan
Some reading comprehension, huh?

Fort Worth, TX. So, not much salt/rust to worry about here. Good point.

>doing everything yourself is for people whose time is not valuable

My passive income is enough to where dicking around on a car for 5 hours covers the cost of parts and more. If I can fix it myself with a simple google search, why pay someone to google and fix it for me, especially if it's more than it's worth?

I don't need to pay a mechanic to replace an air filter, I don't need some in training dope to replace a spark plug for me, that noise is for people too stupid to realize it's an unnecessary expendature.

>Not everyone grew up in burgerland, where you are trained to value your self worth by the car you own from the age of 3.

Studies show that people who drive expensive, well-kept cars experience lower travel times, fewer instances of road rage, etc. It's a fact: drive a nice car and people get out of your way.

The same eurocuck who would buy a poorboi meme car like an infinity lol

Hobbies are an entirely separate issue. Don't confuse the two. You do hobbies for fun. You do work yourself to save money when the opportunity cost of time lost is less than the cost of the work. The two are not in any way similar.

A smart man is one who can accurately weigh the value of his time, and who can choose to 'waste' his time despite knowing exactly what it costs him. Poor people very frequently lack this ability, and as such they spend inordinate amounts of time trying to cobble together cheap solutions that frequently cost them more money and far more time in the long run.

It's not worth my time to do anything beyond the most basic of basic maintenance on my car. I don't enjoy it, and I'm not a master at that craft. I can't see many future problems unless they are pointed out to me. I don't know how to, and don't have the equipment to solve complex car problems on my own. I accept that. I have plenty of hobby interests that are not efficient uses of my time. I accept that as well. I enjoy doing them. That's why I do them.

If you enjoy wrench slinging, power to you. I don't enjoy it, and there is no economic reason for me to bother learning the finer details. If you choose to do it despite not being interested in it as a hobby, you either make less than I do and thus aren't losing as much losing a weekend doing personal projects, or you are thinking like a poor person and would be far better off behaving differently.

It's all fucking mechanical, except for major problems. There's no reason you couldn't do the nigger shit like fixing breaks.

Why would I waste a day doing that when paying a professional with the proper equipment takes less than an hour, and costs far less than I make in that day?

I could work part of the day, then chose to waste money doing something I actually enjoy, still have more money at the end of the day, and have the problem solved by a licensed professional who will do the job correctly.

>implying that's not just because we don't give a shit about trash yuppie drivers and their insane lane hopping
If you don't wanna merge normally, either wait on the side of the road or ram my car bitch. I could replace the entire thing in my garage

In america theres not really any reason to change your own oil. What places charge for an oil change is barely more than what you could buy 5 quarts of oil for anyways

This is one of the dumbest posts ive ever seen on Veeky Forums

I own a 1995 Camry SE Coupe.
Not an LE, Not an XLE. Totally different cars.
200HP
200ftlb tq
Much faster great ratios
Faster transmission
All original
1 owner
Near mint
0-60 in about 7 seconds
Paid $5000 5 years ago
$3000 of that was from insurance after my other car was totalled.
Now has 220k+ miles
Still runs like new and looks amazing.

Why buy a car at all when there are things called "bicycles" and "public transport"? People who drive aren't very good with their finances.

Thanks for corroborating, that's pretty funny.

If you follow the ol' 20/4/10 (20% down, 48 months, 10% of monthly income) rule and have good credit like a responsible American, the 0% isn't a gimmick.

I made this thread assuming SOUND financial decision making in all aspects. A quality cash car for a reasonable price. A new car with a good loan deal. Etc.

This thread isn't about 20% loans at Larry's Used Car Hut.

>I made this thread assuming SOUND financial decision making in all aspects
>Advocates buying new cars.

I don't advocate anything. This is meant to be a discussion. I was reminding people that you're comparing apples and oranges when you present the ideal of a situation on one side and a non-ideal on the other.

"Everyone says it's right so it's right!" is not a valid argument for either side.

I just wanted to see what the For's and Against's had to say.

Not everyone lives in los angeles you thick cunt

Wagecuck philosophy

>"Everyone says it's right so it's right!" is not a valid argument for either side.
>I just wanted to see what the For's and Against's had to say.

So the mountains of reasoning aren't valid? It's a well established fact that new cars depreciate enormously shortly after purchase. Because of that it's far cheaper to buy a lightly used car and then drive it for a while than it is to buy new and drive it to the same point. It's even more expensive to buy new car and replace it with another new car every few years.

There isn't a debate here. New cars are more expensive for a number of reasons. There is no economic incentive to buy a new car. The only valid reason for buying new is because you want to. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's a personal choice with your money. If you acknowledge that you are making a non ideal financial decision and are still OK with it, good for you. Just don't pretend that it is ideal. That makes you stupid.

>Efficient time management letting me do something I enjoy instead of spending an entire day doing something I hate is wagecuck philosophy.

That's practically the exact opposite of wagecuck philosophy. Even if I hated my work, which I don't, I'd still be ahead of spending the day working on my car.