Why do Australians and New Zealanders have a "british" sounding accent, but not Canadians or Americans?

Why do Australians and New Zealanders have a "british" sounding accent, but not Canadians or Americans?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country_English
youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s
youtu.be/vuJfTUSR5GE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English
youtube.com/watch?v=V6S22TiWz_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=XPfOL4wUuMU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Island,_Maryland
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal#Origins
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Why do Australians and New Zealanders have a "british" sounding accent

No they don't...

German, French and the rest of the world's influence from immigrants.

they do kinda, it depends on the person and how strong their accent is, but you can definitely hear the similarities.

Could it be because most Americans are in fact the descendants of German immigrants, while Australians and New Zealanders mostly British?

America was settled by brits who spoke like brits did at the time. The accent home in Britain gradually changed to what we have today.
Canada was settled by loyalist Americans.

Australians sound like they do because they were drunk all the time and the kids learned to speak by their drunken parents.

I met an Irish woman who told me that to her, Australian English sounded closer to American English than British.

I still don't know what to make of that.

>America was settled by brits who spoke like brits did at the time. The accent home in Britain gradually changed to what we have today.

>repeating this stale meme

some asian students told me irish and americans sound almost the same to them.

Lots more Irish in the US...

>America was settled by brits who spoke like brits did at the time. The accent home in Britain gradually changed to what we have today.

Jesus christ this is totally wrong. The poetry/rhymes of 16-17th century England have proved this countless times to be totally false.

>Jesus christ this is totally wrong. The poetry/rhymes of 16-17th century England have proved this countless times to be totally false.

Eh, there's a lot of truth to this. Not absolute truth, but a lot...

>It was after the American Revolution that the British began using the broad a (as in PAHST for “past”), dropping their r’s (as in FAH for “far”), and losing syllables (saying SEC-ruh-tree for “secretary,” NESS-a-sree for “necessary”), and so on.

>Meanwhile, colonists in North America retained many features of pre-Revolutionary British speech.

>We know this because people wrote about these changes at the time they were happening—in books on speech and elocution, in articles in contemporary newspapers and journals, in pronouncing dictionaries, and so on.

Also, according to Sir Trevor Nunn (Artistic Director for the Royal Shakespeare Company & the Royal National Theatre):

>American accents are "closer" than contemporary [British] English to the accents of those used in the Bard's day.

Though, with that Shakespeare recreation I personally think it sounds a lot more like the west country dialect, particularly Somerset and Devon. I'm pretty sure there is sauce on how the west country and The Isle of Wight sound quite similar because they were largely isolated from the rest of England due to their super agrarian society and thus kept a lot of the character of Shakespearean English. I think it is much more similar than it is to American dialects.

I'm an American, and when traveling in Britain I had people mistake me for an Australian.

To follow up: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country_English go to history and origins

youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s compare this with youtu.be/vuJfTUSR5GE

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English
Rhoticity in English refers to the situations in which English speakers pronounce the historical rhotic consonant /r/, and is one of the most prominent distinctions by which varieties of English can be classified. The English dialects of Scotland, Ireland, and most of the United States and Canada preserve historical /r/, and are thus termed the rhotic varieties. The non-rhotic varieties, in which historical /r/ has been lost except before vowels, include all the dialects of England—except the South West, the southern West Midlands, and parts of West Lancashire—as well as the English dialects of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and some parts of the southern and eastern coastal United States.

Same but English travelling in America

Again, this retarded meme that there is a singular British accent and that it is the only one to have changed over time. Rhotacity has only withdrawn in Britain on a significant scale over the 20th century with the advent of radio and television.

salty brits kill yourselves

>America was settled by brits who spoke like brits did at the time
>Canada was settled by loyalist Americans.

What the fuck am i reading

North American accent is simply older and developed throughout the 1600th to 1700th centuries. Aussie and Kiwi accents comparatively were developed much more recently.

Australian English, especially the stereotypical accent is influenced by Irish english, like American English. The more lower class the australian the more irish influenced their accent is

are you from the south by any chance? or ny or boston?

Americans are actually Germans that got anglicised by jews like FDR and the rest of those places are fake.

The drunk thing is 100% a meme, the more broad Australian accent comes from a northern/midlands dialect which is extinct in the UK now.

This. There's almost a 200 year difference in dialects, of course they're going to sound different

Australian culture I feel is very influenced by American T.V, films and music ect.

nah, you're just a cunt.

>the British began using the broad a (as in PAHST for “past”), dropping their r’s (as in FAH for “far”)
Only in parts of the south

Irish were in americamost recently like 90 years ago pls pham I've had enough with americans claiming they are irish because their dads second cousin ate a raw potato once

I was just wondering about this yesterday.

Americans and Canadians over pronounce their Rs because of Irish faggots.

Not even kidding. Irish speak English with an accent and they over pronounce the R sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=V6S22TiWz_Q

Just listen to this.

Also a lot of American accents like New Yorker and Boston are influenced by Italian and Jewish immigrants.

Meanwhile Australia is predominantly Anglo, and New Zealand is mainly Anglos but also with some Scotsman mixed in

Get fucked you mick mutt

No wonder canadians are bunch of polite gaywads.

Are we, tho?

>Why do Australians and New Zealanders have a "british" sounding accent, but not Canadians or Americans?

But they did, and still do.

youtube.com/watch?v=XPfOL4wUuMU

Yeah. I live in Michigan and I end up in a lot of relationships with gay Canadians over the border. They are like another breed of gay people, all they want to do is snuggle and go out.

>Veeky Forums - History & Humanities

>Could it be because most Americans are in fact the descendants of German immigrants
No, because that's not even true.

holy fuck, this is horrible

Of which people are the Americans descendants of mostly than?

Americans are mostly anglo by descent, but it is under reported. More German immagrants came thang English, but immigrants from the isles came earlier and have been breeding in America longer. This isn't represented because Americans who trace their ancestry to 18th century America don't typically call themselves English. They simply describe themselves as American.

So if someone in the States is like 40% Swedish and 50% Anglo by ancestry, they will say their ancestors are mostly Swedish.

What's horrible about it?

That's a clip from when the history channel actually had anything to do with history.

There is still a small group of Americans who still retained their English accents

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Island,_Maryland

the dialect coach is ok, the narrator and production are insane.
I'd say it was satire, but it's american so...

The majority of white Americans are descended from Germans and the Canadians had lots of French around so maybe that influenced our accents.

this 100%
it has nothing to do with later immigration

While I could be defined as English in ancestry, I'm quite certain my ancestors never sounded like what people consider to British. I'm mostly Scottish and Irish, and there are a lot of us that gtfo of there for various reasons.

i read somewhere that Appalachian mountain hicks sound the closest to how brits sounded back when they colonized america

Non Rhotic English is the most disgusting thing ever

>The majority of white Americans are descended from Germans
see
To add to the 'under-reporting' side of things, people all split up the Anglo ancestries instead of just saying British. People say English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish (Case can be made that Irish is different but It's over exaggerated to a ridiculous degree) - when they're all the exact same thing. It'd be like if people still described themselves as Bavarian or Prussian instead of just German.

non-rhotic accents are incredibly strong, it's pretty amazing how australians and new zealanders haven't become rhotic depite american media exposure.

l'm a New Zealander in Australia and l get mistaken for an american all the time

though l do speak with more of a southern NZ accent, so l guess that makes things a tad harder to distinguish

A German influenced accent would be non-rhotuic

American accents are so different in part because of politics. Different dialects of English blended with other Germanic languages and during / after the revolution these changes were exaggerated because fuck England. Dictionaries were published that changed spelling and pronunciation of English words slightly at times because 'fuck the British'

Canada just sounds like USA. The English tried a few times to make Canadians sound English and it never worked.

it's sad the canadians didn't develop their own accent

People have been saying the Australian accent was done ever since American radio shows were introduced, but it seems only to have gotten stronger

in fact i reckon it's getting more british, many people in melbourne for example seem to have adopted a 'posh' accent, especially hipsters.

... In saying that, there is a tendency among Australian millennials to sound slightly American

Girls especially can have that like omg sooo fucking annoying California beach/Valley Girl influence, I wanted to blow my brains out listening to two of them talk on the train

Melbourne's always been like that, snooty and pretentious, above the convict rabble of Sydney

actually there is evidence it developed independently in the southern hemisphere

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal#Origins

and in any case they're still non-rhotic.

still, not as british-sounding as many south australians

There is a distinct Adelaidian accent that is common in the metropolitan area but decreases in quite a pronounced way as you travel north or south of the city and the accent becomes more nasally, especially amongst Women.
The nasal accent is also very strong in Port Adelaide.