Do "Cultural" foods bear any resemblance to the foods people would eat 100, 200 years ago...

Do "Cultural" foods bear any resemblance to the foods people would eat 100, 200 years ago? I never see info of what people would eat in the past, and I highly doubt people would eat the same porridge slop every day

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich#History
youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_trade
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pepper#Ancient_times
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olla_podrida
youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)
amazon.com/Culture-Food-England-1200-1500/dp/0300181914/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468338916&sr=8-3&keywords=medieval food culture
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A lot of the food you eat during the holidays are the same as what you ate 200 years go.

As a poor student I confirm that even now I eat same porridge slop every day. It is then quite normal to assume that comme people were even poorer than I am rn.

>Any resemblance
Yes, they resemble. But that doesn't mean they didn't modify the food in 200 years.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich#History

considering sweeping changes in agriculture and ecology -- the components itself would be somewhat different but the recipe mostly stays the same

the biggest historical culinary split was all that stuff from New World -- sugar, chocolate, tomatoes, potatoes, corn and so on

Well until the Colombian exchange you wouldn't have:

>Italian tomato sauce because tomatoes are Mexican

>Irish potatoes because potatoes are Peruvian

>Spicy Thai food because hot peppers are all Mexican

>Any old world food utilizing corn

>Swiss chocolate because cocao is native to Centra/South America

And the list goes on. Though it's not a stretch to say that they wouldn't exist 200 years ago. In many cases it's probably about the time they beganto be developed.

Pizza was originally poor man's food in Italy. People would make the dough and then just put anything eatable they could find in the house on it. It was even sold on the streets in some cities.

Also the Romans and Greeks ate some sort of spiced bread that roughly resembled the pizza.

>Irish potatoes
potatoes aren't the most quintissentially irish food there is.
pork is far more typically irish than potatoes, pre-act of union and post-famine

Imagine a world where the only real way to make your food spicier is to add garlic.

Japan didn't have Ramen during the Samurai period actually. It was only ever a thing in the 1900s due to shitloads of Chinese-Japanese cultural exchanges during the age of Nip Imperialism.

Which is fuckweird considering the millenia long Chinese Northern habit of eating pasta-based foods.

>Spicy Thai food because hot peppers are all Mexican

You do know that SEA and South Asia was the hotbed of Spices right?

They used something other than pepper in those days.

Wasn't Japanese cuisine mostly based on fish

black pepper was literally the most traded spice, back in Silk Road times and STILL is

Doner Kebab stand somewhere in the Ottoman Empire. 1855.

You're a fucking idiot, aren't you.

Many peppers also originated in India/SEA.

I think you will find this channel really interesting.

forgot link
youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

>Pizza was originally poor man's food in Italy.
Here's the thing: you will find that many, many dishes that are long-standing traditions, and that you can order in the finest restaurants for insane amounts of money, have very, very humble origins.

Oddly enough the hamburger, which is practically synonymous with fast food for working class folks with little money or time to eat the best in life, has a far more prestigious background than you'd think.

>Many peppers also originated in India/SEA.

Nope. All chili peppers originated in Central America. They were taken by the Spanish first to the Philippines and then radiated through the rest of Asia.

>All Chili peppers
Not all peppers are Chili, for fucks sake.

Git learned faggot.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_trade
>Spices such as cinnamon, cassia, cardamom, ginger, pepper, and turmeric were known, and used for commerce, in the Eastern World well into antiquity.
Also the Spice Islands referred to an area in Indonesia. The Philippines' value wasn't spice at all: the Spics in the Philippines can pay in Silver. Big deal for the Chinese and Indian traders.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pepper#Ancient_times

Stop obfuscating you silly little girl.

Yeah, black pepper, cinnamon, Spice Islands, who gives a shit. The context is what makes Thai food spicy. And it's not
>Spices such as cinnamon, cassia, cardamom, ginger, pepper,

And it's also not

> turmeric

So anyway, the spice that rocks the spicy world is the chili pepper, and all chili peppers originated in Central America.

Pls note that "all chili peppers originated in Central America" should not be interpreted to mean "black pepper originated in Central America."

So yeah, there are other spices and even some small pets which are referred to as "pepper" but which are not chili peppers. Let me patronize you for a moment by thanking you for pointing that out.

>the spice that rocks the spicy world is STILL black pepper
ftfy

Still fucking wrong. Black pepper, Cinnamon, and Saffron is the staple of the Spice Route.

Not to mention the Spice route is an ancient as fuck trade route millenia before Chili joined it.

>I_am_an_american_and_thai_food_is_sriracha.jpg

They are a lot different.
Some things, like meat is practically identical, because freezers enables raw meat to be frozen for storage.
But getting cured meat is rare, especially identical, because saltpeter wasn't a common ingredient for curing 200 years ago.

I.E How floor was filted and milled change after the industrial revolution.
With the introduction of Roller mill's and Unifine mill's, the nutrition and storage profile changed completely.

Even then, the yeast types used has changed a lot. Essentially around the 1850s, baking yeast was changed from sour type to a type more like beer yeast.
Read up on Saccharomyces_cerevisiae, which replaced Lactobacillus(Lactobacillus for sour dough).
It replaced it because it rises and spreads about 5-20x faster, without the slight aftertaste of Lactobacillus.

Pizza isn't a poor mans food.
Pizza is LEFTOVER food.
You have meat/cheese/tomato sauce that is leftover for a meal, and you add dough to make a new meal from it.

>Still fucking wrong. Black pepper, Cinnamon, and Saffron is the staple of the Spice Route.

What exactly do you think you're arguing against? Be precise. Because you're rambling on and on about things I never mentioned.

Maybe you're confusing me with another user.

Whatever, with your cardamom, cinnamon and saffron comments, you're pushing an open door.

Actually this is the picture time traveller from 2055 has showed us, it presents average German in 2055. The quality of photo is poor because due to economic crisis it's almost impossible to get decent camera.

Wtf that woman has a mustache?

Turkish """women""".

It's neohitler in ethnic German clothes from 2nd half of 21st century see

Only two centuries ago?

Yeah, a lot of it is superficially similar.

When it comes to fruit some, because of cultivation, have lost in terms of nutrition since they are selected for such traits as appearance and taste. Today's apples for example are not that healthy because of this.

Though I've also heard some foods used to be pretty much inedible until they were cultivated.

>When it comes to fruit some, because of cultivation, have lost in terms of nutrition since they are selected for such traits as appearance and taste. Today's apples for example are not that healthy because of this.
Proof?

they used EXACTLY pepper. you americans are just too retarded to call different plants with different names so everyone gets confused with your shit.

I got it from "The Food Hourglass" and if I remember correctly it is mentioned in "Antifragile" too.

You manufactured a disagreement based purely on semantics, created a straw man, and now you proclaim victory.

Yay 5 u!

The Primary Cash Crop in Colonial Philippines was Tobacco. Our ancestors just sold spices and potatoes and peanuts on the side.

That and what says, Spanish Philippines can pay in silver.

The Spice Islands are in Indonesia, around Maluku and Java. This was largely due to black pepper brought to the region by South Indians whose Hindu civilization formed the bedrock of Ancient Java.

They really aren't bad, but generally a lot of fruit is harvested at the wrong time.
Apples is harvested before they are ready, because it takes shorter time to get another apple batch if you do.
Tomato quality varies a lot.
So do cucumber and a bunch of others.

t. assmad millennial memesexual USEFUL IDIOT SOCJUS SHILL american mad and cucked and turked and owned and wrecked because he got called out

go back to /utg/ you neo-tumblrist mutantgendered hyperliberal manlet lanklet skinnyfat wretch

What you call cultural foods more often than not are special foods for holidays, sundays, etc. Not exactly something they would eat every day.

Anyway it's normally easy to see when a food is an everyday's poorman's food.

It was also found in other parts of the mediterranean, or at least very similar food.

This typical spanish stew is more than 500 years old.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olla_podrida

my favorite ethnic food is Mexican!!!

That looks good but did they really have to throw a whole bowl of cheese on it?

I can't remember where I heard it, but I think it was on a podcast.

The burger as we know it today could not have existed any sooner than it became a thing. The ingredients needed for even a simple one (lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickle, meat, buns, spices) were not available together for most of history. Either because they weren't discovered yet or because they wouldn't have been in season together and wouldn't be able to be preserved before assembly.

>tomato on hamburger

Gross. Aside from that, that's literally the only thing stopping a roman emperor from chowing down on burgers; they had lettuce, cheese, cucumber pickles, beef, leavened bread and access to pretty much any spices found between Morocco, London and Benares - plus a massive culture of street food in and around the population centers.

TRUE ROMAN HAMBURGER FOR TRUE ROMANS

also i am impressed that you can actually read text on his pad[

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Heirloom tomatoes shit up the bun and/or make goddamn tomato juice squirt everywhere when you bite down and the hothouse tomatoes used in 99% of all restaurants and home kitchens manage to do all that without tasting like anything.

Onions (raw and thinly sliced), bacon, dill pickles, mustard and extra-sharp cheddar are master race, with shredded iceberg optional.

>shit up the bun and/or make goddamn tomato juice squirt everywhere when you bite down
Sharpen your fucking knives, you lazy bastard.

youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ

How does a sharper knife make a tomato less juicy?

It makes it less leaky.

But that's wrong. Ramen(chukasoba) existed in the Edo period. It's true it was only popularized much later though.

Peppers are a family. Capsicum is only a genus.

>Ramen(chukasoba) existed in the Edo period

no

Yes.

Ramen is a *very specific* noodle dish based on the

And Chuka Soba literally means "Chinese noodles." Which occupy a vast array of noodle dishes.'

Also why the fuck do Japanese plant rice? Doesnt rice suck in the temperate zones?

Pizza is still a poor man's food

Rice can be grown anywhere provided the soil is fertile enough.

Tropically grown rice however has an edge over temperate rice largely because it becomes perennial as opposed to annual. Meaning no meme seasons hinder the harvest.

Though planting in the Tropics still has its own dangers, random ones even (drought, tropical storms)

Chukasoba is ramen. It is synonymous with ramen.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

i eat a 10 000 year global diet. many wheat grains are harsh on teeth

That's literally not true. The hamburger, unlike the sandwich, has a pedigree that dates back to a World Fair. It literally started out as fairground food. The disputes in the story are of which stallowner in the fair actually invented it. But burger historians (HAHAHAHAHA) all agree that it started as fair food.

Do you eat mesoamerican squash, iranian citrus fruits, and meat from domesticated animals of the fertile crescent? Yeah very paleolithic ya dingus

Source ?

>hamburger
>Hamburg

"""burger""" (((historians)))

Fake. There's no electric cooker at that time.

Read this gem a few months ago, pretty relevant for this thread.

amazon.com/Culture-Food-England-1200-1500/dp/0300181914/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468338916&sr=8-3&keywords=medieval food culture

Apparently medieval food was much more complex than you think, and the claim that "European food sucked so bad that they conquered the world to get spices" is basically bullshit. Even "peasant" food was very good, and noble household chefs tried their best to recreate them for feasts.

Medieval folks were found of acidic sauces, and before the coming of sugar cane derived sugar a lot of stuff was sweetened with honey or low quality sugar from the Silk Road.

Mediterranean: Vinegar everywhere. Salt everywhere. All the regions native fruits/vegetables

Northeren Europa: ALL THE SPICES found locally. Salt everywhere.

That said, pickles and curing was done a lot better before saltpeter was common.
And smoked meat was done a lot better before they discovered the artificial way to smoke them. Not because the artificial method is bad, but because when smoke meat via fire, if you fuck up, you fuck up badly.

True. They used a vertical grill instead, with a mesh to hold the coal in. Someone from Bursa invented that out of a Shashlik Grill.

Same photographer, but this time in Constantinople.

No, it doesn't.

>So anyway, the spice that rocks the spicy world is the chili pepper, and all chili peppers originated in Central America.
americans should shoot themselves more often.