XCOM General - /xcg/

AMERICA edition

Previous Squadwipe News:
1)
Julian Gollop - lead developer of the original game X-COM UFO Defense - is working on his new game, Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM, where the enemy mutates to adapt to the tactics you use.
Also you can target individual body parts in the tactical layer for different effects. A few anons are on the e-mail newsletter for this; ask in the thread for more info.

Here are some links for the curious, though there isn't much yet:
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/

2)
The same Julian Gollop held a conference three weeks ago discussing the past, present and possible future of the XCOM franchise and style.
>youtube.com/watch?v=ki3an0wHKzg

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read
>>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Essential improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z
NEW AND WORKING MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains literally all mods from the new modlist:
>>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

Music For Killing Ayys:
youtube.com/watch?v=lUj05zld8T0

Long War download link:
>nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/
/xcg/ Modlist
>pastebin.com/nDcMRY3G
Extra perks to add for Training Roulette:
>pastebin.com/cUjBbaFM
Namelist generator:
>daiz.io/xcom-namegen/
Wiki:
>ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Long_War
/xcg/'s Long War FAQ (new players read this shit):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN
Music For MECs:
youtube.com/watch?v=iGuuOdD6iY4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJbS5PYQudQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3WdU9nph2aY
youtube.com/watch?v=r7oGJW1go34
pastebin.com/cSrNT3kC
strawpoll.me/10033297
docs.google.com/forms/d/184bcQTOA-R7DjPACmr5-ad_elNeKicHtaAPyEVbIxIY/viewform?c=0&w=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kill ayys

1st for time traveller mod!

third for snek a best, all other waifus a shit

no u

5th for cyclops mod when!

>>all other waifus a shit

NO U

Swords are Useful.

Pistols are Useful.

pistols are useful

Jerry Miculek seemed to like the Glock Zapper

youtube.com/watch?v=AJbS5PYQudQ

Pour one out for yoshi

>>mfw putting down Yoshi ;_;.

F

Stay Up.

no u

*falls down the stairs*
It keeps happening

I warned you about prudeposters, bro!

Hey user, I've been meaning to make all the individual mod folders to zip files, I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

I've ran all the items from the list in conjunction a bunch of times and it's worked well. Larger spawn point has been known to cause a bit of trouble though, especially since it's a highlander mod. It's incompatible with any other highlander mods. All Armor Options caused me a ton of headache until I uninstalled it, and judging by the people last thread I'm not alone in that. If you keep having trouble after your clean install, could you post your modlist? Just copy+paste your DefaultModOptions.ini here, it's in the config directory

The problem with All Armor Options is that it makes all makes all tiers available at once. When combined with mods like MGSV BDU or the Halo armors, which have a copy for each tier, you get 7-8 copies of the same armor.

I avoid this by going into my mods and removing all versions except for kevlar.

Anyone here made voice pack mods? I keep having problems with mine where half the time the lines won't play despite being linked to the voice bank

Absolutely, I still have my old .inis with all tiers but 1 removed in backup. What stopped me from using it was that it causes another weird bug, it makes your character pool people randomly revert to their randomized appearance, which is beyond annoying. I like my character pool, so that was a dealbreaker for me.

It's also been known to cause freezes and crashes on selecting helmets especially if you scroll fast enough.

U S E F U L

I sincerely hope this dude will actually release the predator mod. I think the model he is using is an original model instead of a rip like the xenomorph, so there shouldn't be legal issues.

youtube.com/watch?v=3WdU9nph2aY

That looks promising.

Here is some more footage
youtube.com/watch?v=r7oGJW1go34

Since this guy who works on A Better ADVENT, I'm hoping that the Predator gets a custom class.

>>custom class

Hopefully this. Or at least make it shot from the shoulder cannon.

It's odd to see the Predator using guns. Melee-only class when?.

NOW

naked mods when?

>game still runs like ass
I guess they're never going to fix it

Not exactly what I had in mind but I guess burrowing counts as a sort of cloaking.

>>Wanting Lewd.

Systems Online.

They have been out for awhile now fampai

Serial 'Lids for Serious Cereal
That's a Long War combination of fun

EXALT
X
A
L
T

Does anyone have dream mods? Something that you know isn't going to be made but you still want?

Mine is one where you control a rogue chryssalid hive instead of XCOM. You have a stationary base in a province and start spreading out and try to devour the world.
Instead of radio towers, you have nests. You start off with drones which can evolve into several different classes. I also like the idea of special classes that require buildings inside the hive.

>Something that you know isn't going to be made but you still want?

long war 2

I'm confident it'll be made. We've got a bunch of people asking for it, so the culture and popular demand necessary to get it done is here.

I'll give it a year, then I'll try to whip up a team myself. I've got ideas and most of the SDK know-how to implement them, but I've a downright awful eye for what's fair balancewise and what isn't

If we're really talking funky stuff that'll never be made, then this is what I'd want; a complete overhaul with XCOM-styled turnbased tactical combat in a mythological greek apocalypse setting where you initially mostly use hoplites and peltast warriors to fend off minotaurs, harpies and all manner of terrifying shit that's invading whilst your troopers eventually become blessed by the gods and become as powerful as Theseus or Jason. Troop development and tech trees are based on in-depth understanding and connection to the hellenistic faith and gods instead of actual technology.

Yes I have been playing a lot of Master of Olympus, thank you for asking.

Fantasy XCOM would be super rad. I'd play the shit out of it. For Greek XCOM, would you want to have different temples for your acropolis that give different abilities (e.g. temple of Hephaestus would allow for steel weapons and armor)?

>different temples for your acropolis that give different abilities

Yeah, the temples you build would then decide which "affinity" your city-state clinging on during the mythical apocalypse has. You could then elect a champion for that specific god who you could bring into battle, and he'd have these special moves.

For instance, building a temple dedicated to Apollo could instate an oracle which gave you excellent intel ahead of battles, reduce sickness in your town as well as well as grant you a blessing which turned a regular trooper you choose into a kickass archer hero-class. On the other hand, dedicating it to Aphrodite would make recruitment easier and cheaper by drawing more people to your Acropolis and make negotiating with other city-states easier while also unlocking a special blessing allowing you to designate one trooper to become a high priestess-class with various buffs, debuffs and a "charm" ability that's basically mind control.

I think it could be cool.

I dig it. You mentioned negotiating with other city-states, isn't that kinda far removed from XCOM2? It reminds me of X-COM Apocalypse actually.

Yeah, kind of like the Civ diplomacy screen. You'd be negotiating for both trade and military pacts - imagine the black market in XCOM2, but on top of being able to barter with supplies (food and such) you can also barter with armor, weapons, temporary defense agreements and so on. So basically, during a particularily tough month where your roster's strained you could talk to Athens to send over temporary military support - but in return, not only would you be bound to send support if they were to get attacked but you'd also have to pay tribute in the way of food and armor for a while.

>It reminds me of X-COM Apocalypse actually

I guess it kind of does. That game is so damn tragic to me, imagine what it could've been with more time. It had so many cool ideas that should and would have made it one of the greatest games ever - if they had been executed properly.

obligatory you suck OP post or something

Hype intensifies

Do hats count as accessories?

nth for pure codex a best!

I got a BIG, FULL external HARD drive right here. Do coydex wants the :D ?

That would be lewd!!! Yes she does

page ten

actually page 9 fampai

I'm thinking of starting up a shitty LW highlights video series thing. What don't you guys want to see someone do in their game?

not breaking LOS

There will be plenty of broken LOS.
I meant to specify in terms of editing.

Repost from last thread:
>VG League 6
We're officially signed up for the VG League 6!
Here is a pastebin of currently selected new teammates, we'll do a strawpoll on who to keep and who to release in soon, in the mean time lets here some suggestions that aren't in the pastebin. pastebin.com/cSrNT3kC In the mean time here's the old guard poll.
Which classic /xcg/ faces will be returning?
strawpoll.me/10033297
top 11 will make it plus 12 from the NEW CHALLENGERS poll which i will make later on. docs.google.com/forms/d/184bcQTOA-R7DjPACmr5-ad_elNeKicHtaAPyEVbIxIY/viewform?c=0&w=1

Use this to add a suggestion for new challengers

Have you got the pastebin for the current new challengers?

A new and updated CIA version 2.0! Anybody got news about the remaining two DLCs by the way?

OH NEW AND IMPROVED CIA, IS SNEK A BEST?

Other than the achievements, no news

is this new and improved one just an excuse to reroll the results?

Eurobeat to replace all xcom2 soundtrack

I see. Thank you for your judgement, your magnificence.

No, people complained that more than half of CIA 1.0's answers war indecisive and vague at best, so I'm working on a new CIA. I'm currently also remodeling CIA picture to fit the /xcg/ better!

tbf considering how most of the questions are yes/no you're not going to get to be able to get it much better unless the board decides to switch to base 4.

Should I maybe put him as an advent or a sectoid instead?

LINKS, post'em
it's LL, isn't it?

Check the pastebin and yes

Its in the one for the Old Guard, just scroll down

>HopliteCOM
this is a suprisingly good idea

I wonder if an overhaul of that scale is possible with the SDK

I'm also curious if you could use the SDK to make a crpg in the xcom engine.

Last template. So which one did you like best, guise?

this one makes it look like CIAyy is wearing a mask. It's a joke on multiple levels

>I wonder if an overhaul of that scale is possible with the SDK
It doesn't lend itself quite as well to major overhaul mods as it does to smaller more modular stuff, but it's still miles better than what the LW devs were using. I'd say any overhaul like this idea is possible in theory with a metric fuckton of time and scripting knowledge. It's just that it's an enormous project in terms of moddeling stuff too, and that is something I don't know jack about which is why I sure as shit won't be the one to do it.

>I'm also curious if you could use the SDK to make a crpg in the xcom engine.
That'd be a bit harder - I have no idea though. It'd take a guy with a lot more talent than me. I don't really think we've found an upper limit of what you could do with the SDK as long as your idea is founded in the same basic gameplay constants as vanilla is.

is my ex coming back?

IMMORTAN WILL

fug, you don't want that user.

This shop is pretty MEDIOCRE

this, you will regret it. It's too late now, looks like it was in the Flight Plan all along. All you can do now is act accordingly

Theres still hope, if he turns down her (or his, he could be gay) advances

Will /xcg/ place high in the Veeky Forums cup?

thats an oddly appropriate response

user had better hope she (or he) didn't turn yandere in his absence

I think CIA means that we'll do well if we are loyal to the cause

Who doesn't want a yandere gf though?

yandere isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but a yandere ex is just asking for trouble

>tfw no yandere snek gf

Once the chloroform wears off he'll be nice and happy with her in her happyness dungeon! Forever!

Thoughts on changing lethality in xcom:

Instead of making the game a meatgrinder (well, in practice it only seems to be a meatgrinder until you've got anything better than early rookies/squaddies, and then it's basically impossible to lose if you know what you're doing), have soldiers lose effectiveness instead.

Attacks dealing >25% of max hp have %chance of applying "bleeding out" modifier (-1hp/round, -25% movement, -15 will)
%chance increases as the damage done vs hp ratio increases

Medkits: 2 uses, fix bleeding out. Default doesn't recover hp; research improved medkit adds +1hp on use
Gremlin heal functions exactly like medkits, including improved medkit bonus

Once a soldier reaches 0 hp they lose consciousness and normal bleed-out timer begins
0 hp guarantees a crippling injury after the mission ends
The only time a soldier can outright die is if a critical hit brings them to 0 hitpoints

Second Wind skill/ability: When a soldier reaches 0 hp, they roll for a crippling injury instead of receiving one by default. Instead of losing consciousness they may continue fighting until their bleedout timer reaches 0 or they take another wound (either of which kills them); They do not suffer the -25% movement or will penalty from bleeding out. Using a medkit stabilizes them at 1 hitpoint and the ability cannot be triggered again for the remainder of the battle; maybe AWC-only perk.

Crippling injuries are -permanent- and have deleterious effects that reduce particular stats substantially. For example:
blinded in one eye, -15 aim;
blinded in both eyes, -100 aim, -75% movement, cannot use grenades or targeted abilities;
crippled leg, -3 movement;
brain damage, -1 AP;
crippled shoulder, can't use grenades;
spine severed, has to use wheelchair;

With distribution of crippling injuries working on a bell curve, so some of the more severe ones have less weight than less severe injuries.
Crippled soldiers are also out for recovery for 1-2 months, rather than 1-2 weeks.

"user, I want you to feel good forever, meet our new boyfriend Jamal."

And maybe have psionics fix/remedy some of the crippling injuries.

Like a psionic third eye reduces/removes the blinded modifiers so that crippled soldiers can come back to the fight in mid/late game to some degree.

A real Yandere gf would bring him in as a severed head or a corpse.

That comes later after she reads some Freud
"Oh I learned that you want to have sex with your mom. But I can't have that, so I brought her head back to live with us!"

>psionic third eye

see, this is what I'm talking about, it's gonna end badly. That user could be under surveillance by his crazy ex right now and not even know. At the very least she's already got the chloroform ready for Relationship 2: Happy Fun Time Boogaloo

user, you better be getting prepared for this shit, CIA never lies

WE NEED AN EMERGENCY EVAC! NOW, DAMN IT! NOW!

Most of those would render the soldier useless

That's the general idea, yes.

So why not just kill them outright?

because it would go hand in hand with a robotics facility that you can only send wounded to

their punishment must be more severe

Fuck, what was the name of /xcg/'s MEC-fu? I can't remember for the life of me.

Because a mostly useless soldier is still a soldier you can use. Can't use a dead soldier.

Gives more character as well, and helps discourage savescumming when a soldier dies.

Will also be useful for MEC troopers when shens last gift comes out, as well as psionics offsetting some of the previous injuries later in the game.

I don't see the problem, who doesn't want to live forever with their loving girlfriend chained to the joy radiator

>joy radiator

Because she feeds you tendies, tater tots, and ketchup every night
But she purees it all in a blender and makes you sip it through a straw so you can't choke