Anybody ever made any money off of old coins? Tips?

Anybody ever made any money off of old coins? Tips?

I collect a lot of coins and paper cash. It's mostly just for fun.

The problem is that you must acquire a very rare coin AND it must be in very good condition, meaning someone sealed it into something.

So the above is pretty rare and if someone has it, they almost always know just what they have and it's worth.

I can't see any money in it unless you own a pawn shop and suckers come in regularly and give you coins for cheap.

>Anybody ever made any money off of old coins?
yea, anyone who has ever held gold when their fiat currency went to zero. any civilization ever

I sold an old dime for 10 cents once

HUR DUR DUR DUR

Can you easily google to learn about old coins or error coins?

People started picking the junk silver out of circulation in '64-'65. There's not much to be had anymore. You'll get lucky every one in a while and find a war nickle but that's about it. It's honestly not worth the time when you figure out your profit/hr spent looking through rolls.

If you're dead set then your best bet is to get rolls of half dollars from the banks around town and look for 40% dates. I usually get one roll a week and I get lucky every couple weeks or so. Don't take the clad ones back to the bank or they won't give you anymore. They hate people who look through rolls and bring them back.

I've honestly found more error coins than I have silver coins in the past 5-6 years. Not much left to be found. Coin collecting for numismatic value is going the way of stamp collecting anyway.

Probably not the answer you're looking for but hope it helps.

I work as a cashier at the only store in a small town and collect as a hobby. I was only wondering if anyone had made any real profit off of it, or if I should just maintain it as a hobby. The consensus so far is to just hold onto the stuff for sentimental value or until it miraculously attains more because of the natural progression of time.

You can collect the same coin, but from every year possible. Make sure you keep them somewhere clean and air-shut.

The only way you're going to make mad cash is either by official error coins or by old coins you find by treasure hunting with a metal detector.

I once made two dimes and a nickel off of just 25 cents.

Old coins can be an investment, but not a very profitable one. Collectors always know what their coins are worth, but if you go around to estate sales from old people there's a chance -- a CHANCE, mind you -- that you'll find someone's old coin collection. These days estate appraisers are savvy to numismatic value, so you'd have to find someone flat out retarded to really get a good deal.

You're gonna think I'm nuts here but probably the last bastion of numismatism that isn't controlled by the moneyed folks is copper. It's much less valuable but there's still sizeable volume out there from just how fucking many pennies are in circulation. Pennies from 1982 and before have a proper copper melt value of about 1.5 cents today -- as the price of copper rises and the copper content of coins falls, this value will increase, but you are looking at... Like, decades before this becomes a notable amount.

You'll probably run across a few silvers here and there. You can tell when silver coins hit the drawer by sound too. I worked at an interstate gas station when I was in my teens and found 5 or 6 war nickels while I worked there.

Keep an eye out for "fancy" serial numbers, star notes and silver/gold certificates too. I run my own business and I get a couple star notes a week.

Cool thread. I have a collection of currency and other odd things. About half of them are from across the world, the other from here in the US . Some silver too. Coolest thing I have is almost every quarter from 1965 on and old Reichsmark notes that aren't worth much due to hyperinflation. A lot of people like the old bills with big heads, I collect those and sell/trade them for a but more than they are worth. Honestly you won't make much money unless you find lots of silver, fun hobby though.

some people used to make money on ethereum. since its going to die buy 0.00000001 ethereum so you can sell as old data to some fetish nerd type.

bump

Sold one of these for 200$$

I wish I had rare money.

Believe it or not, this comment is kind of why I keep going. It's nice to know that I'm not actually spending and money, but slowly accumulating money that won't ever exist again. I even collect Canadian pennies, because they've stopped making them.

>what is hegemony of force
>what is the US
>who has the greatest means of force projection in the world?

Yeah, paper is just paper. Though, what if I told you to use it when I had a gun to your head?

It's not meme. It's worth your life, you dip.

>Anybody ever made any money off of old coins? Tips?

There are lots of old roman coins.
how does their value change of time? I mean, they are already 2000 years old, 10 years more does not make them more rare.

yeah, when I was a teen I worked at the Burger King drive thru and you would not believe all the old coins and silver certificates that people would use to pay for their whoppers

I got this from gramps. Not sure what to do with it but no way in hell I would turn down receiving a $1000 bill.

Oh and he gave me this as well

I wish I was born in a first world country with an actual history behind it.