Who's your favorite president of the United States of America?

Who's your favorite president of the United States of America?

1) as a person

2) as a politician

1) is pic related 2) is Theodore Roosevelt

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/unmdZ7llP8A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FDR

Teddy

youtu.be/unmdZ7llP8A

Washington and FDR.

Obama
None. I dislike all of them too much to have a favorite politically.

1. James Garfield
2. Obama

1. Obama
2. LBJ. I don't like him but he is undeniably one of the shrewdest presidents we've ever had.

>everyone spends 8 years shitting on Obama
>when they see the choices for who's going to replace him everyone promptly decides he's actually a pretty cool guy

What do you find interesting about Obama as a person?

1) Bill Clinton, shame about his wife though

2) Thomas Jefferson

The world is more than one person. I didn't like Obama in 2008 and I still don't like him.

1. Bill Clinton

2. James K. Polk

1. Bill "First Lady Second Hoe" Clinton

2.FDR

I have much more in common with him than I do with just about any other president. He's into comedy, he's internet-savvy, he's a genuinely likeable person, he's an introvert whose personal recharge habits are similar to my own. I would love to have a beer with him and it seems like he'd enjoy that too.

>I would love to have a beer with him

The very phrase that got Dubya elected

Read the OP and go fuck yourself.

1. Lincoln
2. FDR
If you said Bill Clinton for either you obviously didn't pay close attention to his presidency

>not wanting to get drunk with Bill "the first black president" Clinton

what

>Who's your favorite president of the United States of America?

>1) as a person

>2) as a politician

You fucking retard.

I'm not even him you fucking idiot. You're sperging out over nothing

>>I would love to have a beer with him

>The very phrase that got Dubya elected

1) Gerald Ford

2) Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower

>Dubya Bush

>Teddy

The entire thread is premised on a distinction between characteristics you like in a person and characteristics you admire in a politician. If someone addresses the former you don't get to pretend that it was instead an answer to the latter.

>Tie between Jefferson and Jackson

Gonna assume second is based on his effectiveness
>Tie between both Roosevelt

Reagan
Polk

Andrew Jackson for both.

Ye, but his favorability ratings have been climbing like crazy ever since the Herr Trumpenfuehrer v Shillary matchup seemed likely.

1) JFK because as a person he was pretty based

2) FDR because of how effective he was

Pardon my ignorance, but as a Canadian I don't understand why some Americans get triggered by Obama so hard?

Why do some Republicans seemingly hate his guts?

1) Obama (he's literally un-unlikeable)
2) Teddy or JFK

Racism.

Also they are trained to pretty much view every Democrat as another Hitler, regardless of his actual personal qualities.

>Teddy Roosevelt
>Not sure desu, maybe Washington. Honestly I'd say Hamilton if he ever were president.

Whenever I think that the "everyone who disagrees with me is a racist" thing isn't true, I come to Veeky Forums to remember it actually is

1) Jackson
2) Jackson

Nixon for both

1 Eisenhower
2. Roosevelt (either one)

1) Obama or Bill desu
2) FDR

Barring the actually real, but fairly minimal, racism, there are a few reasons at least.

1. He was an inexperienced politician and more so as a leader.

2. A bit of an extension of 1, but we were in the middle of a war he promised to end, but he had no idea how to do that, so we ended up with a kinda shitty leader for the military.

3. Over time all the shitty things happened under him just fueled the fires like a bitch.

4. How most democrats view Bush is how most Republicans view Obama.

5. He got elected because of a strong reactionary sentiment the public held

6. He's reactionary like mad

7. A lot of people think/thought he is/was going to force extreme (American) liberal policies like universal health care, free college, anti-climate change policies (Yeah, for a sadly large portion of Americans this is considered a lie from the Liberal media/agenda), etc

8. He gets a lot of flack from stuff previous presidents did or set in motion

That's what I'd say at least, but for the record, we legit did get a fair amount of 'Keep the White House white' signs

>1) as a person
Andrew John was a bit of a badass

>2) as a politician
From what I know Bill was actually pretty decent as a president, but I admit I don't know much, especially pre-90s or even worse pre-20th century.

I'm not calling people who disagree with me racist, though. But the question was why some people seem irrationally to hate his guts. And racism is one reason.

>1) as a person
Jimmy Carter (Shoutout to Nixon, he's a tremendous piece of shit but boy is he inspirational.)
>2) as a politician
Lincoln/FDR/LBJ

Lincoln was probably the best of the three, though. FDR was legit evil when he wasn't helping the poor, and LBJ had really good domestic policy and really awful foreign policy.

I dislike Obama more than ever now that I'm more of a lefitst, but he's wayyy better than the two choices we have coming up. Watching the fight over the Democratic/Republican platforms for the next 4 years killed my faith in American politics.

People genuinely forget how charismatic Dubya was, especially compared to Gore and Kerry.

>but he's wayyy better than the two choices we have coming up.
That's basically anyone who isn't Trump or Clinton.

1) William Henry Harrison
2) Warren G. Harding

>He's literally un-unlikable
Am I supposed to ignore how incredibly pretentious he is because he's black. He's charming and funny, but also incredibly holier than thou

1. Jimmy Carter seems like a genuinely nice guy, especially post-Presidency.

>tfw you will never eradicate a disease

Dubya too, he's definitely the most likeable President l remember, politics aside.

2. I like Ike.
And also all the way with LBJ.

>2016
>Being a Democratic-Republican

What makes him seem pretentious?

Aside from some elements of racism, he's very deliberately divisive and dismissive towards those who disagree with him. It's telling that he and his administration have used the term "right (or wrong) side of history" more than any other president, with the possible exception of Clinton.

The great irony of Obama's presidency is that, due to his lack of experience, people feared that he would be a better campaigner than policy maker. Upon taking office, he showed himself to be a very astute policy wonk. He's used the power of the executive branch to create literally thousands of regulations that will shape both business and government in the coming century. However, he never bothered to pitch these ideas to the public. He felt that they were so self evidently right that people would just agree with them.

When he failed to use and build on his very clear mandate, Republicans made the obvious play: take control of the narrative. Sure, some of them may have been motivated by race, but it was mostly sound politics.

When Obama emerged for the legislative fight over the ACA, the public was a lot less receptive to his message than the were in 2008. And he failed to win them back, because once again he was convinced that his policies were self evidently right. His message became that those who opposed him were closed minded and stuck in the past. Instead of being told how Obamacare would help them, half the public was told that they were in the wrong side of history. And that line gets trotted out for every issue now.

Like guns? Wrong side of history
Reduced immigration? Wrong side of history
Oppose free trade? Wrong side of history

Through the use of a viral marketing campaign that showcases his personal charisma, Obama has reminded the public that they like him. But they don't like his policies, and that's entirely his own fault.

Perhaps pretentious is the wrong word, but he is dismissive of those that disagree with him, regardless of if their concerns have merit

That reminds me of an article I read in the Atlantic

It's a common topic these days. I read a lot of that on politico. Turns out honest analysis produces more content than "they hate him because they're racist"

>as a person
I don't like any of them as people. They're all shitbags in different ways. Even George "Sockpuppet" Washington.

>as a politician
Madison

The obvious question is what he could have done to control the narrative.

The GOP has pet news outlets, like FOX and a huge amount of AM radio.

The Democrats have CNN, kind of, but nothing really to compare.

>The Democrats have CNN, kind of, but nothing really to compare
>what is MSDNC
It's funny that you would point out Fox News when it has the least amount of opinion time of the three big networks.

>person
Carter
>Politician
Polk

>5. He got elected because of a strong reactionary sentiment the public held
>6. He's reactionary like mad
>Obama
>reactionary
>the people when Obama was elected
>reactionary
The word you're looking for is emotional. Obama isn't a reactionary in any sense of the word. He's a progressive.

Democrats have MSNBC

1. Clinton

2. Clinton

Putting aside the fact that Democrats have MSNBC, Comedy Central, HBO, and really most late night and morning talk shows in the tank for them, it wasn't access to the public that was the problem. It was what they did with that access.

A guy named Mike Lofgren talked about this in "The Party Is Over." There were several problems.

1) Clinton's "New Democrats" are basically Republican lite. Sure, they bicker with social conservatives, but it's hard to differentiate your message when you support the same banksters and wars as the opposition.

2) Republicans and the media conglomerate that surrounds them are really good at harping on the negative and putting Democrats on the offensive. This is partially because, as the more progressive party, Democrats have the more difficult task of defending changes. Meanwhile, the GOP just has to say that everything is fine as is, any problems stem from activist liberals, and any proposed solutions will just make things worse. This problem is compounded by...

3) Democrats are too pseudo intellectual for their own good. That's not too say the education bashing on the right is a good thing; that's ultimately damaging. But this is what led to Obama assuming that his policies would stand on their own merit. He forgot that most Americans only have a high school education.

The example Lofgren uses is the stimulus bill. Sure, part of the message could be restructuring the economy and putting energy and all that. But the core should have been "Jobs. This is a jobs bill, it will create jobs." Jobs are simple. Everyone knows what a job is, and during a recession, it's what they want to hear about. Not everyone knows what "stimulus" means. It sounds vaguely sciencey and intellectual, and the steelworker who just got laid off wasn't in a trusting mood in 09.

worst president is lincoln
best is jfk

your opinion is wrong

Fuckin tumblr

if you think obama is a great president then you're a brainwashed prole who's political knowledge stops at line item campaign talking points

obama has continued to destabilize the middle east, arm islamic terrorist groups, and overthrow secular governments abroad while at home he continues to refuse to enforce statutes of law passed by congress and continue to grow the executive branch and grab more power while not honoring the separation of powers

see

The people watching fox and the like are already solid GOP. No independent thinks "I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for. I bet Rush Limbaugh will give me a balanced appraisal of the candidates!"

I believe that some form of condiment is in order.

1) Jimmy Carter
2) Probably either one of the roosevelts interchangeably

autism and bait in one post. damn, here's your (You), man, relax.

FDR

Teddy and Teddy

a true hero

gonna add an addendum to this

runner up for person category for me, though, is woodrow wilson. before the presidency he was a historian, and I also kind of like his idealism even if it was completely 100% misguided.

1. Reagan
He was a fucking dumbass and I love to read about him. I would watch a few movie with him.

2. FDR
Not much explanation needed. The guy knew how to run a country and his presidency shaped the US for the reminder of the century. His wife was pretty based too.

1) as a person
Abe, Teddy, Jefferson, Coolidge.
2) as a politician
Same as above.

1) Bill Clinton
2) George H.W. Bush

I miss the 90s bros

1) obama

2) eisenhower

JFK, bro-tier genuinely good guy who may have had shady dealings in the past, but genuinely wanted to change the world for the better. His brother even more so.

FDR, guided us through the Depression and WW2. Reversed the tide of income inequality to the point that it's taken generations for the Reaganites and neocons to undo finally undo it.

Honorable mention for Eisenhower as a stellar president.

I just had an odd thought.

Reagan was the Erdogan to FDR's Ataturk.

A great leader takes the throne in troubling times and rebuilds a struggling nation to ensure that its institutions benefit everyone, giving it long term stability.

Some asshole comes along later and tears down the great leader's legacy for decidedly ignoble motives. The comparison is apt.

Obama seem like a decent guy that's obligated to do stuff that he hates. Pretty sure he'll be the happiest person in USA at the day he gives his goodbye speech.

Lincoln looks Veeky Forums as fuck. Does anyone know why he is related with vampire hunters in movies?

Also read about JFK, he seem pretty based but his and his family's destiny was horrible. I'm not an American history expert, but pretty sure he did horrible stuff that made some people mad. I remember reading on that matter too, but from Fed reserves to his relationship with monroe, there were shittons of conspiracies to read and my mind isn't read for all of those theories yet. Hell I even remember theories about aliens too.

t. non american

He spent a lot of time trying to kill Castro, and in general he really, really hated communists.

His political allies helped to rig the 1960 election for him, but he probably would have won without it.

He also increased the number of US troops in Vietnam from 100 advisers to 16,000 """advisers.""" He was actually drawing down the number of troops when he got shot, but then the Buddhists started setting themselves on fire, and he ended up giving the green light to remove the president of South Vietnam (Ngo Dinh Diem, who was a complete tossbag) in a coup.

The coup worked, but one of the officers detaining Diem shot him and his brother, which Kennedy was shocked at because Diem had been a personal friend of his since the 50s.

Also, he couldn't get as much done on civil rights than Eisenhower or Johnson, because half of the Democrat party was in favor of segregation, and he wasn't quite the crooked son of a bitch Johnson was.

Lincoln is a badass hero in memes because he was the guy that abolished slavery and cracked down on slave owning. It got him a war that a hell of a lot of people died in, but Lincoln kept the union together, won the war and made slavery a legal no, so the country was better off for it in the long urn.

That's pretty much the only thing he did.

Thanks

Teddy and Eisenhower.

He also owned a pub.

JFK got less than 3 years into what would likely have been a two-term presidency before they killed him. He advocated an increased advisory role in Vietnam, but opposed expansion into combat roles. He wanted to pass broad, sweeping civil rights legislation.

JFK was a more reserved progressive of the era, but he was certainly a progressive. RFK was the one who wanted to really change the country. He would have cracked down on corruption and the influence of money in politics. Bobby Kennedy was the next FDR. They shot him for it.

This is a good question for the what-if machine.

If Kennedy hadn't gotten domed, would the Voting Rights Act have passed.

Because LBJ was an excellent machine politician, and extremely competent at getting votes together for bills.

Would he have done it on his bosses behalf? Because LBJ didn't really like Kennedy much from what I understand.

LBJ also pushed the legislation as a Kennedy legacy initiative in the wake of his assassination. I think you'd be hard pressed to say that JFK, if he had lived, could get legislation like that passed in '64. Maybe down the line, but '64 was unlikely.

It was the late-60s assassinations of MLK, RFK, etc. that stopped the forward progress of the progressive movement.

Didn't know that

>He would have cracked down on corruption and the influence of money in politics. Bobby Kennedy was the next FDR. They shot him for it.
The irony of your statement is that Bobby and John WERE the corruption and influence of money in politics.

Revisionist garbage. I can't wait to hear how FDR made the Depression worse by abandoning Hoover's "Free Market" policies.

>get caught red-handed in midst of voter fraud
>hand wave it away because you're President AND Attorney General
>not corruption
It's not even revisionist. It's been widely known to be true and has been proven to be true since before Kennedy even assumed office.

The election of 1960 had some question marks. A lot of elections in American history have question marks. 2000 and Florida comes to mind.

The point I was making was what JFK was going to do with his presidency once he had it. JFK would have pushed civil rights, tried to avoid too much commitment in Vietnam, and taken on the issue of poverty.

What did W do after he won a controversial election? How did that turn out?

>the faults of others absolves the Kennedy brothers of their corruption
That's not how it works and you know it.

>had some question marks
>some
A few hundred convictions and the entire state of Illinois are not "some" question marks. They're not even question marks. It's a fucking exclamation point. Add on the fact that RFK was proven to have covered it up on a federal level by forcibly removing the FBI from any investigation into the matter speaks volumes. Your idols were just as corrupt as the worst of them.

You're going to whine and play the victim card like all right wingers do, because they have no real argument.

Leaders who come from the right are shit-tier. They always have been, and they always will be. Your best modern president is Eisenhower, who would be a modern Democrat by any stretch of the imagination. Massive public works spending to build a nation-wide highway was the greatest achievement of his administration.

Both sides have done questionable things. Only a child wouldn't acknowledge that. But your side did it to benefit the wealthy allies of the Bush clan who started a war for oil in Iraq that created ISIS. Our side did it to beat Nixon.

Fuck you.

>projecting this hard because your idols aren't the saints you're making them out to be
I'm sure it wouldn't help if I spoiled the fact I'm not a right-winger. I'm not even American. Stay mad, though.

Are you okay?

1) TJ
2) TJ

I mean, when the country is literally being torn apart, there's not much else that you can do.

Teddy Roosevelt

>started a war for oil
muh lefty conspiracy theories