Am I a retard for working my way through college?

Am I a retard for working my way through college?
Everyone else looks so laid back and enjoying their college experience and here I am washing dishes to pay for my $400 managerial accounting textbook.

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/news/united-states/21600131-too-many-degrees-are-waste-money-return-higher-education-would-be-much-better
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The college experience is for losers who didn't party in high school, except it's worse. You fucked up by going to college at all, so the only smart thing to do is to work in your free time and pay off your loans/fees/etc.

t.28yearoldselfemployedwholelife

>actually buying textbooks instead of pirating or using a library copy

I need the access code that I can only get with the book. Niggas are catching on.

Read this OP economist.com/news/united-states/21600131-too-many-degrees-are-waste-money-return-higher-education-would-be-much-better

If you are studying finance/accounting u should complete your college for your technical competency. Come on, u think Big 4 would hire u if u have only have high school qualifications? Anyway finance/accounting is solid.

Btw 3rd world guy here from SEA, having no college is 100% 1 way ticket to poverty. Maybe u can get lucky if you have certain skills such as exceptional sales skills (Wolf of Wall Street example) or you are entrepreneurial enough (to be successful) but should only think about these stuff after u have some basic college/degree stuff.

Yes
I worked 20 hour weeks while taking physical chemistry, mass spectrometry, instrumental analysis, taking 4 hour labs and teaching 4 hour labs
I also refused to let my grades slip too much so basically I was stressed all the time and studying during my 15 minute breaks or before I'd go to the bar with friends.
Even though it taught me work ethic, time management, and stress management.
Even though I made different friends and had different routes to socialize through by working with some cool restaurant guys and gals
It wasn't fucking worth it.
Don't do what many of these guys do though and just fuck off like a lazy stoner. Then you'll be a piece of shit with no future as well.
You still have to learn time management but what you should be doing is strategizing how you do it.
Work on side projects in your spare time. Learn how to get good with girls. Learn soft skills and read a lot of books that aren't assigned to you. The $500 a month you get from restaurant work is pennies. If it's something you feel you need to grow through then fine keep doing it but you should have other irons in the fire as well

The only purpose of college is to get a better paying job in the future. The "college experience" is being rejected by girls at a house party until one is drunk enough to let you fuck her.

Most college students may as well not be in school (pic related)

Yes Just focus on getting the best grades you can.

Try to see if you can get summer jobs through nepotism OP, it may help you pay for college and you'll be able to work less during your actual schooling.

Shit, keep that shit up. I worked 50 hour weeks graveyard while maintaining 15 units. My overall gpa was a 3.08, but could have been higher had i not forgotten to drop a class. You're right, everybody else on campus is a little princess using daddys money or being financially irresponsible taking out loans they dont know yet that they have to pay back. Keep working. In the end you will have your degree. Source: i literally just received my diploma in the mail from SFSU and i dont owe that shit to anyone but myself.

But if it's free you can use it to your advantage.

Well really I'd say a trade is a better path these days.

But yes, not taking out a loan is better than taking one out.

Assuming you get a good job after college, then it's worth it, and paying off a few bucks is no big deal. But when you have $50k+ in debt it spirals out of control fast.

I don't think any person getting a bachelors should graduate with any more than $25k in debt. $25k or less is manageable, more is not.

So yeah, your making the right call. Later you will be chilling, while the other guys are working 50+ hours a week to make rent and pay off the student loans.

Jesus christ that chart

Yes. Any time you spent working your McJob could have been time taking more classes to graduate sooner so you can work a real job.

Have you taken every possible CLEP and DSST exam that can fit into your degree program? Are you pursuing an associate's degree from a community college first, so you can transfer to a four-year school at a steep discount and have a marketable credential in hand 2 years earlier than everyone else? You can save a ton of money and transfer to meme college when you have your shit figured out.

You're not retarded. It's an insightful question.

you are a retard for not torrenting that textbook.

this

I used to do that for the first few years but now they came up with online hw access codes

cant wait to figure out how to get around that bs

What about community college? Also what fields do you recommend starting in out of high school if you're not going to college?

This simply wouldnt work for a half decent uni here
either its some meme uni or they had a surplus of arts students in their sample

What about taking out loans to go to a top-tier school? I'm starting as a freshman next year and was looking at applying t Rice because I'm pretty sure I can get in, but there's no way I could pay for it. Going into chem, and sorry if this belongs more on /adv/

Wait until after you've exhausted every opportunity to get transfer credit from CCs and credit-by-exam. Seriously. Borrowing money to take the same freshman-level classes at a "good school" is not a smart idea.

alright thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking, going to an alright state school and looking at transferring after a year or two

Throw in weekends and an average of 12 credit hours (the minimum for full time) and it sounds about right. 12crh/7=1.7 hours and many classes only run 50 minutes so it's accurate for the way most people take college classes. It obviously isn't accounting for exceptional students in more rigorous programs, but it is representative of most undergrads.

Even art students put way more hours into actual homework projects which are extremely time consuming, and smoking weed than that, which is an 'other education activity' for them.

Management accounting?

Good lord I feel for you. That's probably the most boring shit ever in an Accounting degree.

Just wait till you get to tax law and corps law. That's some pretty interesting shit right there.

NTU Math student here.

There is practically no need for us to be in campus because lectures are uploaded online and hardly anyone gives a fuck about the tutorial classes, unless there's a quiz.

Last minute mugging can net you a B-, so basically a pass degree.

And the first year core modules can be taken part time while I'm enlisted for the 2 bloody years, but they don't allow it.

SG fag here, not so sure about that but having a polytechnic diploma should be survivable, at least in Malaysia.

>went to a small community college for my AA while working full-time
>Spent 7k instead of 20k for first two years with 15k saved
>Went to an in-state college for biz fianance while also working full-time
>shit ton of scholarships man
>apply for FASFA twice a year for two years

After graduating with a 3.7 GPA this semester I have no debt, a degree, the "college experience" and 6k leftover. People who take out student loans just want a taste of what it'd be like to enjoy the "daddy's money" lifestyle

where do i find a qt asian dishwasher like pic related

You're still losing 4 years of your life.

Find something you're interested in, start grinding and learning as much as you can about it. It really depends though. I followed my gut, served me well. I'm 28, I don't work, and I live a pretty cushy life.

What is/was your GPA ?

You think the companies are that stupid? They make these access codes one time use, they literally force students to buy their books.

is it textbook specific, or do books with the same title also have the same codes? How does this even work, can't 2 people use the same code?

Not surprised desu. College became piss easy once I started taking my classes online.

Textbook specific because you also get access to an ebook. You need the code for registering an account, and you need an account to do the homework. Each code is good for one semester.

Co9

3.5 major 3.2 overall
top 50 school

doesn't really matter though desu

how is GPA calculated in the US. Here it is done 75+ is a 4 65+is a 3 50+ is a 2 and below 50 is a 0 (fail)

nigga torrent the fucking book

this is 2016 all digital media is freely available

every book is online free you just need to look

the way it worked at my school is:

a = 4
a- = 3.667
b+ = 3.333
b = 3
b- = 2.667
c+ = 2.333
c = 2
c- = 1.667

which is kinda messed up because you're really just splitting hairs after a certain point. Percentages don't make sense either because you usually have a grade distribution for each class (often bimodal) so the teacher splits it up so that the top whatever percent of students get a's then b's then whatever. It makes sense when half the class got 50% on a test and the other half got 25% with a few kids getting somewhere in the 70%s

This was just for chemistry though, not sure how the rest of the university works, I was too busy to care about gaming the grading system

and for reference, a lot of people got degrees with a 2. something average, but it was generally the case that if you were below a 2.0 for long enough you would get academic probation and had to retake classes or get kicked out

Pay for community college, take out them loans for two years at a university. Pay it off with a phat job in 5-10 years.

I found the book online.
It's the code I need though, retard

>5-10 years
If it takes you that long to pay off only two years of uni then you did something wrong.