Get Rich Slowly

I see a lot of bullshit on this board. Speculation, get rich quick schemes, idiotic advice.

Who here /reasonable investor/ ?

- Spend less than you earn
- Avoid debt
- Invest the difference in broad market mutual funds, such as a total stockmarket fund or S&P 500 index fund
- Never try to time the market or think you can successfully invest in individual stocks
- Wait

I'm 25 years old, save 55% of my after-tax income (saved $34k last year, on track for $38k this year), and currently have $115k in investments.

Assuming I increase my savings by 3% per year and earn average returns of 7%, I can more than comfortably retire at age 35 with just shy of $1M.

But you guys know what you're doing trading cryptocurrency derivatives in your E-Trade accounts. Good luck with that.

For those seeking education:
mrmoneymustache.com/
jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/
gocurrycracker.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/isaac-newton-lost-a-fortune-on-englands-hottest-stock-2016-1
bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios
bogleheads.org/blog/david-swensens-portfolio-from-unconventional-success/
jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/
gocurrycracker.com/how-i-made-102k-in-real-estate/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Im waiting for the crash to buy into S&P500 big time.

Literally try r9k (no meme)

>Never try to time the market or think you can successfully invest in individual stocks
well idk about that one, there's nothing wrong with buying some blue chips to hold long term

>throwing away the prime of your life by living like a monk just so you can have more shekels when you're old and washed up, waiting to die

True. If you're buying good companies like Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, or Berkshire Hathaway, you'll most likely do well provided you don't make any rash decisions trying to jump in and out.

How would you define a "crash"? When it falls 10%? What if it falls 10% more? Then do you call it 20%? What if it falls 20% more than that? I do agree that many signs point to a decrease sometime within the next few years, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can time it properly.

Harvard MBAs who work at Goldman Sachs and Quant PhD's in aerospace engineering who work at top-tier hedge funds can't consistently and accurately time the market. Neither can you.

I track all my expenses and so far in 2016 I've spent $1,534 on Bars/Alcohol and $820.60 on Concerts/Events. I have my fair share of fun.

It's mainly about not wasting money on the big things. A simple rhyme:

No:
- Marriage
- Mortgage
- Cars
- Kids
- Pets
- Debts

Have fun dying alone.

Good Advice OP.. This is the sort of mentality people should forge.. Sadly, most of the kids on here will never or do not want to understand his.

However this approach seems a little too conservative for my tastes.. Nothing wrong with gambling on the markets every now and then.

> Comfortably retire early
> Less than $1MM

You might want to rethink how much you will be spending in retirement. A million goes less far than it used to go. I just broke a million, and I still have a long way to go before I can retire.

> Hey everyone! I've made good decisions and am preparing for the future!

Cool man.

I'm shit at saving but I do save like 1k every 2 months so getting better

Just because someone has a degree in good degree doesn't mean they can beat the market. Intelligence is completely different from the intelligence you need to be an intelligent investor. Read about Isaac Newton and a group of mathematicians who lost 10 millions dollars trying to beat the market because they were smart in a different field

>I can more than comfortably retire at age 35 with just shy of $1M

your definition of "more than comfortably" is different from mine

I currently spend ~$24k/year

I eat out for lunch every day at work, drink 1-2 times every weekend, and go to an average of probably 2 concerts/shows per month.

At $1M, withdrawing $24k/year is well below a 4% "safe" withdrawal rate, which is why I'm planning it that way. Realistically, my housing and health insurance expenses will go up, but food, dry cleaning, and drinking will probably go down.

And if I'm wrong about my expenses or future investments, I'll just continue saving until I can withdraw about 2-3% of my investments per year to cover my cost of living. That's a truly conservative withdrawal rate.

well if you're happy living like you are now for the rest of your life, then that's great.

personally, I like to own property and buy a new car once in a while. $24k/year is a pretty tight budget IMO but to each their own. good luck

>t. I drive a 10 year old civic

>Issac newton investing the the stock market.

Are you fucking retarded?

Meant for

Or, you could buy Trumpcoin.

businessinsider.com/isaac-newton-lost-a-fortune-on-englands-hottest-stock-2016-1
Here ya go. Cuck lord.

Whicha dumb ass. Read a book prick and educate yourself

I'll defend you.

He shouldn't have said "stock market" but rather specified that it was an individual stock.

As far as I know indexing didn't exist until Jack Bogle invested it in the 70s.

Cryptocurrency arbitrage mate. Low risk strategy that simply takes advantage of the (relatively) small and unregulated crypto market

Yea I didn't my bad but I thought it was clear since that what we are talking about

Plz be bait, I have all of those things, plus x4 in investments and savings. Although I'm only 28...

>combining not having a family with low risk investing
What the fuck are you doing? Theres more to life than trying not to starve to death user.

At worst use a chemical bank and buy a kid or actually learn investing. If you dont have the time or will to create a disciplined approach to more aggressive investments, just start your family

every man dies alone

>crypto arbitrage
Thats penny stock tier risk.

Real mid risk investing is doing stuff like leveraged etfs or trading based on earnings reports and taking the occasional loss.

>Investing 100% in stocks
>Low risk

U wot m8. It's certainly not HIGH risk, like levering up 3 to 1 and shorting a phase 3 biotech firm, but it's not like I'm pouring my earnings into 3-month treasuries either.

I started at $52k out of college and now make $69k. Bonus is about $4-7k and I get a 4% 401(k) match.
If you truly have $400k+ at age 28, great job. You're ahead of 99.99% of Americans. How'd you develop that wealth in terms of job, income, and whatnot?

Hey man, its a Hype game 99% of the time.

Trump coin is just a Meme coin straight out of EvE online.
The biggest flashing red light is the fact that 51% was mines before the public was allowed to mine the currency, low unique trading volume (shit load of information missing to form any kind of...)

Stock market, Make sure to watch the richest investors very careful, especially when they plan to take breaks, and most importantly find out what stocks are being heavily traded by automated trading bots and avoid those at all costs, from penny stocks to mainstream Apple, its mostly a trap.

Forex, there is one more Rule to trading Currency besides the 3.
Watch the graphs, be careful not to jump when every one jumps and here is the Kicker, if You learn to predict the Manipulation that makes every one Jump You will have a massive advantage.

I do this with 90% of my income. But meme stocks are fun, and sometimes you strike gold. Don't be a cunt.

When the news and media are going full panic, buy in big.

Spend 10 minutes of your day and categorize your expenses. Set the changes to apply to all transactions under the same name. Make a new label to put your grocery spending under instead of food and dining (because fuck dining). You won't regret it. A well managed mint is god-tier.

Forgot pic.

What I do is I label all of my regularly visited grocery stores as "misc expenses" because nothing else uses that category by default. Much easier to track.

what software is this

Is it considered a "get ich quick scheme" to mass import goods to resell?

I've blow an entire month's paycheck on random shit for my eBay ventures and always end up doubling whatever I spent since I always buy what and how much I know I can sell.

that's retarded man, I'm not even good at trading and even in my bad months I at least make like 7% yeah per month not year

You want a "get ich quick scheme" go bang my ex-wife

that's some /r9k/ shit right there bro

I mean he's right everyone dies alone but that's why you shouldn't live your entire alone

filename

I don't want to be poor in my 20s and then rich in my 30s. I want to be rich in my 20s and rich in my 30s.

Your 'reasonable' behaviour is a mask for your incompetence. Fuck you.

>I don't want to be poor in my 20s and then rich in my 30s. I want to be rich in my 20s and rich in my 30s.
With an attitude like that, you'll be poor in your 20's, 30's, 40's and die in your 50's as another irrelevant loser who spent their life wasting the planet's oxygen.

Wishing and hoping doesn't change the harsh realities of life, kid.

>Who here /reasonable investor/ ?

I am, although it's not common here on Veeky Forums. Why would it be? Reasonable investing is boring, and discussion topics are spent after you land on your portfolio allocation.

When I started in the market, I was trading a lot, thinking I had found an edge here and there, but the reality was that the gains (over time) really weren't stable and proved to be similar performance to the S&P 500.

When you're playing with a 4 or 5 figure robinhood account and just getting into the game, you'll need to learn some lessons from mother market before you realize the true path of enlightenment. Boring, passive investing.

>no kids
>no cars
>no pets
>limited spending on shitty extravagances like club drinks
So what's the point in being rich in the first place? Your accomplishments are meaningless and you barely get hedonistic benefits out of it.

>So what's the point
I hear that.
I got married and have kids, so cars are pretty much a requirement, but the rest of that shit is optional.
Fuck the 9 to 5, mortgage, pets & debts.

>When you're playing with a 4 or 5 figure robinhood account and just getting into the game, you'll need to learn some lessons from mother market before you realize the true path of enlightenment. Boring, passive investing.
So just buy stocks, some vanguard ETFs, distribute most of them decently enough, and wait?

Forex worth starting up?
Sounds like it could be interesting.. Heard you have to have a lot to make it worth it

That's what I do, and rebalance every year to match your desired risk allocation (i.e., equities, bonds, gold, etc.).

bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

It's like you're not even expecting anti-aging treatments to come out in 40 years when you're an oldfag.

Sounds like my kind of deal. Any pointers senpai?

I only understand that I should have roughly 40% as bonds / etfs / whatever, to counter balances any harsh stock conditions (like 2008 going to complete shit for some), and the rest in stocks to take advantage of the good spikes they tend to have. All in all it seems like in 5+ years terms that 40/60 allocation tends to give about 10-11% ROI, instead of doing only bonds that end up with like 8% or only stocks where there's much higher risk.

Anything I'm missing?

Newton invested in the South Sea bubble. He invested, sold out, then bought back in due to greed.

Lost nearly all his savings due to the crash and said something like 'I can calculate the motion of stars but not the madness of men.'

Proves that you can be a genius in one field and a retard in equities.

Study Pre-1900 finance dipshit.

awesome thanks

Yes, there is anime, psychoactive drugs and motorcycles.

this. i was going to buy in after brexit, but nothing happened

>Never try to time the market or think you can successfully invest in individual stocks

You're probably correct if you are just looking to save money and avoid risk without learning about investing, but I really think you should be able to make more money investing in individual stocks. Yes, 10 percent only break even and only about one percent make money, but those 99 other percent didn't make a real effort to learn. Like you.

>Forex, there is one more Rule to trading Currency besides the 3.
What three rules do you speak of?

>Want average return of 7% for 10 years.
>Preach don't get rich quick.

Top kek. Try harder.

Don't be delusional. Take a step back. Try 2001-2010. See what average return you get.

Just because the last few years yields 7% return because of extreme QE pump doesn't mean you are gonna get it in the next 10 years..

>No mortgage
This is retarded famalam, renting is pissing away money. Interest is almost alwaya far lower than rent and you increase your value over time. If you're not living in your place you can even rent it out.

>No pets
Fuck, if you have a lifestyle that doesn't allow for it fine. But don't tell me pets are too expensive. A few hundred bucks per year is worth the companionship.

Newsflash fucknut, most people living in "the prime of their life" are working minimum wage jobs and have a negative net worth

See you in 20 years idiot

> not levereging up with a mortgage instead of paying for someone's positively geared investment property

You what mate?

Tbh good on ya, if that's how you want to live you're doing better than most.

Fuck you, defeatist cunt.

Don't think you know how this works user. Some years your down 20% some up 3% but studies show that the longer you hold onto the right index the average will balance out toward growth. And if you're watching the market you can pull out and reallocate to avoid those big drops.

Pic related is proof of various distributions maintained modified over the years by Swenson, head of the Yale endowment. Average the numbers. Source : bogleheads.org/blog/david-swensens-portfolio-from-unconventional-success/

Unmodified* Sorry.

Anyway user I was referring to above, look at 2001-2010. Your claim has been empirically proven false. Unless you're an idiot that dumps all his funds into one index rather than diversifying which is literally the first rule of intelligent investing. If this doesn't convince you that's fine but the rest of the anons reading can see for themselves that you don't know what you're talking about.

This.
OP is a moron for thinking mutual funds and market indexes are safe.
Odds are good the market will have crashes and slowdowns in the future, and these market-based items will be hit the hardest.
He could buy anti-market derivatives to hedge his bet, but then his returns would be garbage.
For anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, you can't make money on the market without risking your own money.

The FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 both crashed then recovered.

You missed the window bro.

Literally read the posts above you by me and see you that you're wrong.

Oh and by the way, 2001-2010 returned more than 7%

>No mortgage
>Not buying a two-bed and renting out the second room to cover interest payments

The value of my property went up 17% last year and I didn't lose a penny on mortgage interest.

It's like being given money for free.

>save up money
>you can now take more risks than the other wagecucks
>risk taking leads to bigger salary
>bigger salary leads to more savings
>on and on

>These past returns are indicative of future returns.
This is why I don't take advice from Veeky Forums

Well there are three routes you can take with this.

1. Look at the entire history of the stock market and see that yes, past returns are indicative of future returns.
Or
2. Make the Humean move and argue that there is neither a priori nor a posteriori justification for predicting future events based on past ones.
Or
3. Claim the market has metastatized and will no longer exhibit long term growth. Which would assume 1 and reject 2 and also contradict your point.

So either you're wrong or you're a Humean skeptic about causation but that doesn't mean much. But go ahead and spout your hackneyed declarations that putting your money on the market is putting your money at risk. No shit.

But none of that matters because your post agreed with user who claimed 2001-2010 did not yield good results. So your post is shit on all fronts.

Also you reject the past as a standard for the future yet have no qualms about referring to odds about market crashes and slowdowns. You literally have a two digit IQ.

The biggest cost of a pet is time. Also pets are fucking filthy. I hate my flatmate's cat.

Then please drop all pretense of long-term investing. Long-term means go long for 50 years at least.

OP expect to put in 100k now and reap 1M by 2026. Tell me more about how it is possible.

Do me a favor and imitate the old man, hold stuff until you die and not "oh 50-year average is 7% so 10 years later im gonna be reap 10x return".

Now I know mutual fund is supposed to be "simple get rich scheme for dummies", but at least know how they distribute their weight and not be like OP and dump money in SP500.

Go yahoo finance or some other shit, check SPX price in 01/012001 and 01/01/2010, and tell me more about it.

>Then please drop all pretense of long-term investing. Long-term means go long for 50 years at least.

50 years at least? No. Market history dictates less.

>OP expect to put in 100k now and reap 1M by 2026. Tell me more about how it is possible

Can you read? He is going to continue adding his savings each year. Do you know how compound interest works?

And like I said you don't put all your money in one index fund. You put it in REITS, bonds, treasuries, emerging and developing markets. Literally no one here is implying you dump your life savings into one fund except for you.

>Odds are good the market will have crashes and slowdowns in the future
True, but guess what ... the ups are MUCH larger than the downs. The ups also last longer.
>these market-based items will be hit the hardest
Citation missing. In times of market volatility, there are always investments that perform better or worse than the markets. If you try to pick stocks, you have no idea which side of that outcome you'll land on.
>He could buy anti-market derivatives to hedge his bet, but then his returns would be garbage.
Completely unnecessary, Look at pic related. Why would you need to hedge the red part of the chart when the blue part of the chart is so much better in duration and magnitude?
>For anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, you can't make money on the market without risking your own money.
All investments have risk. Risk isn't some bogey-man than you should be scared of. All you need to do is make your risk match your tolerances, needs, and goals. For a substantial percentage of people, index funds are a very good match in this respect.

>>These past returns are indicative of future returns.
>This is why I don't take advice from Veeky Forums
It would help if you took the time to understand WHY market indicies have risen for the past 90 years. It's not magic and its not blind faith on past results. It's the inherent positive market bias that makes the markets a non-zero-sum game.

Then again, maybe you believe that global populations will suddenly reverse course and start declining, that technological advancement will someone suddenly cease, that world markets will suddenly stop becoming more progressive, and that social advancements will suddenly be halted around the world. If that's the case, then by all means, feel free to invest in bullets and head to your mountain shack.

>strawman, the post
Welcome to Veeky Forums, where if you can't cogent discuss index funds, you just make up lies about them.

kys.

>pic related

>Literally no one here is implying you dump your life savings into one fund except for you.
plenty of posters on Veeky Forums would advocate this as their life savings is usually enough to meet the minimum buy in on a single mutual fund

>But you guys know what you're doing trading cryptocurrency derivatives in your E-Trade accounts.

Well, Bitcoin went from 0.10 dollars to 650 dollars in 6 years.

>plenty of posters on Veeky Forums would advocate this as their life savings is usually enough to meet the minimum buy in on a single mutual fund
You do realize that when people recommend one fund like a Target Retirement investment from Vanguard, that its made up of maybe 6000 different equities and 2500 different bonds? Even the S&P 500 is 500 different stocks, which is far above what's needed to achieve the statistical benefits of diversification.

Putting all your money in one fund is perfectly fine, if its highly-diversified.

Don't you think it's idiotic to have all your money in penny stocks?

>but Tim Sykes

Oh, ok.
Carry on.

>getting a car

Get a dog for ultimate feels.

What is the oldest you can be and still have kids that year. I want financial stability in my life before I even think about having kids but I've started to get my shit together later than most, I'd be comfortable getting rich slow but I hope it's not too slow.

Stick to stocks 100% if you're young. I'd define young as being under age 45.

Read the "Stock Series" linked in the OP to understand why.

>renting is pissing away money

I'd encourage you to read these:

jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/

gocurrycracker.com/how-i-made-102k-in-real-estate/

Thank you for being the only intelligent person on Veeky Forums

>Implied your haphazardly constructed portfolio with shitttons of risky assets (REIT, emerging) yield a 7% return like clockwork for 10 years, while marketing it as a low risk mutual fund.

user, you are promoting a portfolio with both high risk and low risk asset, with the high risk asset's return and low risk asset's volatility.

Whatever the mutual fund you are ropped into, check their composition before you kill yourself with idiocy.

Tell me a single index fund that triple your money in 10 years like OP claim then we will talk. Go ahead. Try.

Avoid emerging if possible because shits are 10 times more expensive and volatile than penny. Muh safe investment remember?

OP here

It's called contributing $38,000 per year, which I am on track to do in 2016, then assuming the amount I save increases by 3% per year with an average annual return of 7%. Just shy of $1M in 10 years with a current portfolio of ~$115k.

This can be figured out in 2 minutes with a spreadsheet. It's certainly not perfect or guaranteed, but it's a reasonable extrapolation.

You could buy a Ferrari after 5 years to pick up chicks and live a good life while you're young, but you're hoarding your money like a jew to die alone as an old geezer with Alzheimer's. It's quite sad.

I can't wait to pay $10k a year in auto insurance and whenever it breaks down, have to spend $5k on a replacement part shipped from overseas.

Thus far I've banged 49 girls without a Ferari. I think I'll be fine. I'm holding out for #50 though.

0/10 index bait thread. sage.

It's refreshing to see some logic here for once. Depending on your job as well if you get a 401k match you're not even investing all of that $38,000 your self.

Meme stocks are fun and sure you can make some cash but this should come after the above is handled. It's like this board doesn't understand compound interest and listens to people who withdrew their money from the market after the crash in 2008 and missed out on the gains train that soon followed.