Can we get an /imperialchina/ general going?

Can we get an /imperialchina/ general going?

>favorite dynasty and why
>favorite emperor
>most benevolent emparuh
>coolest invention

>implying Song wasn't the best and most comfy dynasty except for executing the generals

Mingboo here

Are there no true SONS OF HEAVEN on this board?

>favorite dynasty
Qinboo reporting in.

>why
Based Legalism.

>Dat centralization
>Dat lack of corruption
>Dat meritocracy
>Dat infrastructure expansion

It pains me that such a perfect system was all but abandoned and demonised after the Qin.

>literally impoverishing the citizenry because of muh war and agriculture
>fell apart after unification anyway because of a lack of enemies to fight
>no fun allowed: the dynasty
>emperors were cruel and despotic

QINFAG PLS

>literally impoverishing the citizenry because of muh war and agriculture
Restructuring society around its most important aspect is quite logical.

More food = more people = a bigger army.
A bigger army results in more order domestically and more military power when dealing with external states.

Obviously there would have been some minor teething issues.
But any society would face issues when restructuring itself.

>fell apart after unification anyway because of a lack of enemies to fight
The Qin fell apart due to a number of factors.
Boiling all of them down too 'lacking enemies to fight' is a dishonest oversimplification.

I would compare such a theory to the 'Sonderweg' theory in regards to its historical revisionism.

>no fun allowed: the dynasty
'Fun' that was in service to the well being of the Qin state was allowed.

Besides, Machiavellian statecraft and efficient administration is lots of fun.

>emperors were cruel and despotic
I think you mean effective and wise.

NON-QINFAG PLS

[spoiler]Reminder that the only good confucian is the confucian that has been buried alive[/spoiler]

>Han Dynasty

Emperor Xuan, grew up in poverty as a commoner because his daddy the crown prince tried to overthrow his granddaddy, Emperor Wu. The plot failed. Everyone in Emperor Xuan's family was executed. Spared because he's too young.

Emperor Guangwu, a no-name distant relative of imperial family restored Han Dynasty after three decades of chaos.

W-w-w-western barbarian p-p-pig doggu!! Y-you are not my Son of Heaven!!

*writes poetry furiously*

Anyone have some good recs for books on Imperial China, specifically the Tang Dynasty?

I've been looking at Harvard University Press's series, anyone read those?

That pic always makes me chuckle.

Tang pretty cool. Would love to read more about their relations with the Sassanids and the attempt to place Pirooz back on the throne after the Arab invasions.

I'd love to live in Ming or Tang China

Shit I had never heard of this

My favourite dynasty is the Ming Dynasty.

>The Chinese patrilineal and patrivirilocal joint family reached its apex.

>It was an ethnic Han Dynasty, not a Manchu one (like the Qing Dynasty) or a Mongol Dynasty (Yuan Dynasty).

Thus I think that the two centuries covering 1400-1600 were the climax of Chinese history.

Song if only because Wuxia stories made it into this coll-ass time to be alive

>tfw spic Songboo.
>tfw wandering the recreation of a Song garden outside the National Palace Museum in Taipei, fighting back the tears when I realize I will never be there.

Songboo here.
Song dynasty had a high living standard.

>tfw you will never compose poems to the moon on from the pagoda in the middle of your lake garden while the smell of plum blossoms fill the air
>tfw you will never share cups of rice wine with your fellow scholars while painted courtesans laugh and play the pipa in their emerald silks
>tfw you will never ask your Kaifeng Jew bro about the wonders of Persia whilst wandering the markets and actually seeing them before your eyes
>tfw you will never build a tomb to your noble father in a deepest expression of Confucian filial piety
>tfw you will never kiss a silk-haired maiden beneath the lights of the Lantern Festival
>tfw you will never get drunk with your bros at the Exotic Foods Club and get kicked out for un-Confucian behavior

I feel your pain

Here's some excerpts from The Eastern Capital: A Dream of Splendor, a memoir written by a refugee from Kaifeng following the fall of the Northern Song.

>Peace stretched on day after day; people were many and all things were in abundance. Youths with trailing locks practiced naught but drumming and dancing, the aged with white speckled [hair] recognized neither shield nor spear. Season and festival followed one upon the other, each with its own sights to enjoy. Lamplit nights there were and moonlit eves, periods of snow and times of blossoming, beseeching skills and climbing heights, training reservoirs and gardens to roam in. Raise the eyes and there were green bowers and painted chambers, embroidered gates and pearly shades. Decorated chariots vied to park in the Heavenly Avenue and bejeweled horses competed to spur through the Imperial Street. Gold and kingfisher dazzled the eye, silky cloth and silken gauze let float their perfumes. ... New sounds and sly giggles were found in the willowy lanes and flowered paths, pipes were fingered and strings were harmonized in the tea districts and wine wards.

>When the guests arrive, a single person holding chopsticks and a menu questions all of the seated guests. The men of the capital are extravagant and they demand a hundred different things- some hot, some cold, some warm, some regular, some extremely cold-and things like noodles laced with lean and fatty meat. Everyone orders something different. The waiter takes the orders and draws near a counter where he stands in line and recites [the orders] off from the start.... in a little while the waiter sticks three bowls in his left hand, then piles up about twenty dishes along his right arm from hand to shoulder, distributing them in complete accordance with each person's order. Not the slightest error is allowed.

>Wildman Zhao would eat and drink while hung upside down.... Hua Zhuoer would sing medleys; Big Head Wen and Little Cao would play the lute; Dang Qian would perform with wind instruments.... Zou Yi and Tian Di would impersonate rustic visitors to the capital.... Yin Chang would regale his listeners with stories from the history of the Five Dynasties; Liu Baiqiin would have his birds and beasts demonstrate tricks; Yang Wenxiu would play the drum and the flute....

What do you guys think of this game?