Europeans were killing each other while Americans of all backgrounds(Anglo,German,swedish...

>Europeans were killing each other while Americans of all backgrounds(Anglo,German,swedish, Polish) were working together in America

Why was ethic diversity never a problem in the United States?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/boO4RowROiw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polka_in_the_United_States#Polka_music_as_an_expression_of_culture
youtube.com/watch?v=3N27SzQJTJY
youtu.be/yO7MWuJ7zLA
youtu.be/CpmDAu_47OE
youtube.com/watch?v=GLIhJ3ragSY
youtube.com/watch?v=03sZYITvY6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=7xRX7-RizlI
imdb.com/title/tt0333701/
imdb.com/title/tt0449662/
youtu.be/8xQRZP11NXs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why was ethic diversity never a problem in the United States?

Are you kidding me?!

lol

alright bait

Niggers aren't people

>Baiting this hard

-78/10

Go back to /pol/ fgt

Because America was founded based on principles, not heritage.

Bump

Why the hell would you bump this obvious bait thread?

If you had a government for different ethnic groups, you'd see just as many conflicts

>Are you kidding me?!

>nation built on the backs of 1000 years of african slavery exports

>1000 years
Wat

because America is not ethnically diverse

immigrants have up until now assimilated into the established anglo-saxon culture, leaving behind their former identities

half my family has been here since at least 1766, the other were german immigrants from the 1850s

guess how much german i speak? i dont even go to a lutheran church (baptist).

we arent diverse. we're all meant to be Americans.

>1000 years
>built on
A little under four hundred's pushing it. And even then, slavery made a small minority very wealthy, it didn't 'build' the country.

>Anglo-Saxon culture

No such thing. America is a melting pot of cultures.

>America is a melting pot of cultures.
No it's not. America had its own culture since its inception and all immigrants were assimilated into that culture. Yes they had some influence on American culture but that's literally the case with single culture in history. You're not unique.

>>Anglo-Saxon culture
>No such thing
nice try Bolshevik, but if a protestant english-speaking country isn't Anglo, i'll be damned

>b-buht muh bratwurst!
bringing in food is the lowest of cultural contributions, and literally every culture does it for one another

YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE

That's bullshit
America was made by whites and for white people, or atleast that's what the founding fathers thought

>America is a melting pot of cultures.
Hello, (((Rosa)))

>Anglo,German,swedish, Polish
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""Americans"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The actual americans looked like pic related and were killed off by the european immigrants. Ethnic. Besides, the Chinese living in the US had it pretty shitty. As did Niggers.

america was founded cause there wasn't anything there before.

>Why was ethic diversity never a problem
>false premise

German Americans and Italian Americans where working hard to funnel money to buy war bonds for their original country
Source the Great War

>ethic diversity never a problem
First of all, that's wrong. Second, you're comparing conflict between ethno-nationalist states to the relationships between ethnic groups within a state that isn't ethno-nationalist.

Those cherry niggers can fuck off back to Siberia if they want their homeland back.

then why did they sent japs to camps but not germans or italians

Slavery was most prevalent in the South and the South is by far the poorest part of the country, really proves that blacks are completely worthless even if enslaved.

>that's the only ethnic strife that's ever existed in the US

They did, just not in the same numbers.

They weren't "Americans", they were wildlife. Might as well claim squirrels and bears were the original Americans.

America as a concept and a country was created by white people, it flat out didn't exist before them.

Finally, somebody gets it.

Because all those people were traitors who had abandoned their homelands.

are you serious? there have been full on race riots going on since the countries founding. ethnic gangs continue to murder each other in the streets and protect their ethnic enclaves.

>blaming the employees not the management

Nah man, the south is just shit. Full of zealots, obese inbred idiots, and muh northern oppression. They're honestly holding the US back.

I know the south is shit. What we call "blacks" here in the north are in fact just a black Southern diaspora that migrated up here in the 30s and 40s and ruined everything. South is welcome to take them back.

This.

We should have shipped all the slaves back to Africa, and then shipped all of the Southerners to Africa to be the African's slaves.

we full circle now

>because America is not ethnically diverse
>immigrants have up until now assimilated into the established anglo-saxon culture, leaving behind their former identities

Well that's your experience. Growing up in an area where a large part of the population had great-grandparents who came here to work in caol mines and steel mills, a lot of us can appreciate a polka. You'd be surprised. I can sing songs in Slovenian, my mother plays button-box accordion, and from my Calabrese Italian great-grandparents I have a kick-recipe for sauce. I lived in the "little Italy" neighborhood of my city and loved it. Best day of the year was when they built the Bocce court right outside my place. I'd hit up all the vendors for for the best food and listen to the old Dagos swear at eachother in Italian (I don't speak much, but I know a few cusses) while playing.

And I lived in Phoenix for a few years, my best friend there was an anonl that was 100% Mexican and born in a border town. She spoke fluent Mexian and and taught me how to make homemade mexican foods. I met her family at a huge party - was probably my best night in Arizona.

The thing about growing up where I did and the next few states over, there are plenty of people with Eastern European, Polish, Italian decent etc. I knew German kids and Irish ones. Most kids in my school had last names like mine.

>>America is a melting pot of cultures.
>No it's not. America had its own culture since its inception and all immigrants were assimilated into that culture. Yes they had some influence on American culture but that's literally the case with single culture in history. You're not unique.

Of course there is an assimilation into an over all "American" culture. Plenty of us from various ethnic wear red,white&blue on the 4th of July and green on St. Patrick's day. I've always felt close to my Italian and Slovenian heritage AND that I'm American. And again, that is quite common in the region where I live.

oh, and farm kids in my area too. More than a few kids from farm families in my school district and I have a couple of cousins once and twice removed that grew up/own working farms. (Mainly dairy, I think. A chicken farm. And a ranch with horses.)
So mixed in with people that can polka and eat cabbage, your Irish/Italian/Slovak/Polish Catholic types, there's redneck cowboy Protestants a plenty.

just my $0.02

arent we rioting right now over racial tensions?

wtf? ethnic diversity was/is a huge problem in america

This is a beautiful fantasy.

Maybe not have all southerners made into slaves, but at least shipped over yonder. But yes, turn the southern slaveowning familities turned into slaves.

(... although, this would have just stagnated the new African colony's economy, rather than encouraged industrialism... whatever, ship 'em all over.)

>arent we rioting right now over racial tensions?

Yes, in some isolated instances that get a lot of newsmedia play. Day-to-day life goes on as normal for the vast majority.

Compared to what's going on in Western Europe, things in America are fuckin' peachy-keen, breh.

Fuck y'all, OP has a very valid point.

Compared to European and other world societies, America is heterogeneous as fuck. Yes, Americans have lost their original cultures to become ethnically "American" whatever that means, but it's still a melting pot and cultural enclaves still exist.

Even in modern times, Europeans have NEVER had large numbers of people of a different culture among them. It's only just now happening with Muslims and people are flipping shit. They're being exposed for the xenophobes they always were. Whereas even though America has had its own problems with slavery and segregation and the like, we've been able to face those problems, try to overcome them, and we're better now for it. Nowadays there's a very real sense that all people are equal, at least legally it is an official requirement (even if rednecks and police haven't gotten with the program yet), society at large has made up its mind. I could not say that confidently about other nations in Europe and elsewhere.

But to answer OP's question, ethnic diversity was less of a problem because they had no choice. Most of America was uncivilized and seen as a vast wilderness needing to be tamed. My ancestors were European immigrants and they survived the migration by moving to the frontier and farming uninhabited land. As Scandinavian immigrants they had a very different culture, but after working their lives away they were eventually accepted as genuine Americans. Being white helped a lot with that, but you could also say that perhaps racism did help. There were always worse races to hate, so whites accepted Italians, Irish, and other groups eventually, because they weren't black, Mexican, or whatever. It's a strange community but it works.

Kill yourself slav scum

well said, user.

>I'm proud of our strange community
>Where the laws make us equal and free
>And I won't forget the immigrants
>who came and built up this land for me

/thread

>There were always worse races to hate, so whites accepted Italians, Irish, and other groups eventually, because they weren't black, Mexican, or whatever. It's a strange community but it works.

fuck yeah it does!
youtu.be/boO4RowROiw

America is a young nation. We all came here from somewhere. The people who rail against immigration are the blue collar guys who used to make $25/hour for low-skilled labor under union agreements.

I'm not saying that workers shouldn't share in the prosperity of a company, but blaming immigrants for your woes is short sighted. Look up at the people who profit from all this.

That's the dumbest shit I've ever read in my entire life. European kingdoms always had minority cultures inside them. Spain had Catalans, Basques, and Galicians. France had the Occitans, and the Bretons. Germany had Poles, French, and Danes. Britain had the Irish. Sweden had Finno-Ugrics. Russia had too many to count. Austria had Slavs, Magyrs, and Italians.

Shut up, wage slave. It's all the fault of the immigrants, not hard working members of the 1% like me. Now work harder yourself or I will ship your job overseas.

>>>/leftypol/

>implying /pol/ are blue pilled slaves to the elites
The 1% may use tradition as a way to placate the masses but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate tradition and heritage while being redpilled about wealth distribution.

>Why was ethic diversity never a problem in the United States?

Is this question a joke?

This. Ethnic conflict has existed everywhere for all of history. It's simply built into our DNA. There are hundreds of different "ethnicities" in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. There's been plenty of ethnic conflict here as well, it's just that our government was typically a neutral party that mediated and kept order, with a few obvious exceptions, so it never was able to erupt into full-scale war.

Ethnic diversity =/= racial diversity

Gee, it's almost like ethnic barriers are a social construct

Natives aren't either

Also fuck mods, you're bitches

kek well put

You american mutts are pretty much americans culturally, with just a pinch of difference added for flavour.

t. actual Slovene

>Compared to what's going on in Western Europe

Mass racial riots, police violence and murder or police?
Oh wait...

maybe so. but I wouldn't call my Slovenian heritage "a pinch of difference added for flavor" which you might as well use to describe the average American family having an "Italian" dinner at the fucking Olive Garden.

I'm Slovenian through both my mother's family and my father's. My dad's mothers parents were both Slovene immigrants who came to America; my grandmother visited before she died (though I don't know if she contacted family); my cousin/father's niece has contacted us to relatives she found online after researching the roots of our surname and we've exchanged e-mails and letters; my dad's mother sang to me in Slovenian. My mother's mother was 3/4 Slovenian (and her father Croatian, btw), my maternal great-great-grandfather came to America from Slovenia and somehow arranged through family (we think) to have a Slovenian woman join him here years later to marry. My great-grandfather was born here, but didn't speak English until he went to school (he's the one we get our musicality from, btw) - he lived to be 88 or so; he died when I was 16, I was his oldest great-grandchild, my mother his oldest grandchild, and she has 33 cousins from my grandmothers 7 brothers and sisters. with the exception of two sisters who moved to Chicago, a brother who lived in Ohio for a while but now lives in my great-grandfather's house (across the street from my grandmother's, and beside my grandmother's youngest brother's, if you can believe it), the rest of us are in the same general area. We used to gather every Sunday night - all these kids and cousins and listen to polkas and eat and visit and play. My great-grandpap had a made up word for it -which I won't share, too personal, but he had a habit of made-up words we all use now that came from a mix of Slovenian and English. We still have a family reunion every summer - which is when the sisters from Chicago come home with their brood.
Like I said, my mother plays Slovenian button-box (and accordion)... .

1/2

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County_War

You were saying?

America was founded on principles, not the whole "Muh white race is the best race"

Those principles were European, brought about by philosophers, classic liberals etc.

They were originally going to disband slavery, but for economic reasons they kept it.

They then gave rise to """""science""""" which gave one the morality to own slaves, kill other minorities etc.

>biggest Civil War in modern history over slavery
>social cohesion

But it is now.

maybe so. but I wouldn't call my Slovenian heritage "a pinch of difference added for flavor" which you might as well use to describe the average American family having an "Italian" dinner at the fucking Olive Garden.

I'm Slovenian through both my mother's family and my father's. My dad's mothers parents were both Slovene immigrants who came to America; my grandmother visited Slovenia before she died (though I don't know if she contacted family); my cousin/father's niece has contacted us to relatives she found online (after researching the roots of our surname) and we've exchanged e-mails and letters; my dad's mother sang to me in Slovenian.
My mother's mother was Slovenian through her father; his father, my maternal great-great-grandfather, came to America from Slovenia and somehow arranged through family (we think) to have a Slovenian woman join him here years later to marry. My great-grandfather was born here, but didn't speak English until he went to school (he's the one we get our musicality from, btw) - he lived to be 88 or so; he died when I was 16, I was his oldest great-grandchild, my mother his oldest grandchild.

Like I said, my mother plays Slovenian button-box (and accordion). I actually sang and played saxophone (my sister clarinet) in a polka band growing up, while the "cool kids" from school were starting garage bands. I can still sing songs in Slovenian. My life insurance my entire life has been through the Slovene National Benefit Society (SNPJ - acronym in Slovenian). I was a member of the SNPJ growing up and won miss talent in the pageant in Enon Valley at the SNPJ picnic grounds my senior year of highschool. I sang an Italian aria for the competition and a Slovenian song for fun with the band at the dance that weekend. I once danced a polka with Mr. Jimmy Sturr himself, while the legendary Frankie Yankovic and band played on stage (I was a bit star-struck, being a young teen.)

>cont.
I can't tell you how many polka festivals and Saturday night "Slovenian club" dances I've been to, and that was mainly in my Jr. high and high school years. My family made many connections and friends seeing the same crowd (in particular the musicians we've played with) over the years. I still remember the a lady who I sang with growing up who wore a dress and headdress like the lady in front of the
>pic related.
I was able to borrow and wear a dress exactly like the woman on the very left in the pic.

I've rambled on, and gotten way to personal, I know better than to treat this place like a damn blog, but I have to admit it stings a little to be called an "American mutt" by an "actual Slovene". You're right, I don't live in Slovenia and I'm aware of the vast differences between us for that.
But to knock us down a peg like that, when so many of us here hold together to pass down the memories and Slovenian culture all these generations later - well, I know it's special and can appreciate it, though you may not. As would the thousands of Slovenian Americans out here just like me. I will think about you the next time I wear my "LOVE - it's in every sLOVEnian" T-shirt, you h8r. Or when my 4-year-old niece tells me "Bog pomagaj" when I sneeze...

p.s. I'm probably at least 10 years older than you... so if you still don't have any respect for Slovenian heritage in America after this post, maybe you're just a smart-ass kid who thinks he's better than any dumb 'murican.

p.p.s. >en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polka_in_the_United_States#Polka_music_as_an_expression_of_culture
and yeah, I've attended a a Polka Mass

Fuck off

Because all the whites ganged up on the Irish, Italians and Blacks.

Because to become an American, we beat the foreigner out of you (literally) the moment you land on our shores.

It's a rite of passage, immigrants come here, we make their lives a living Hell for a few generations, stripping each new generation of it's old identity until it is born again hard. Then we accept them into the club and they join us in terrorizing new arrivals.

This^

Although that whole "Natives are wildlife" meme is retarded and is a wild misreading of Australian law.

Ok, this might go beyond the scope of your original post but...

It's all fine and dandy, but imagine a reversed situation.
I'd say I'm 1/2^nth american and that I play a banjo, my father owned cattle and my grandmother still owns a Ford T.
Meanwhile Pablo, the gangbanger from LA with a hamburger in one hand a smartphone in the other would just look at me weird.

Sure, folk culture remains in some parts more prevalently and in some parts as a peculiar hobby, but the exhoduses have been over for almost 100 years now and slovene culture has moved on, while you stayed detached, a good example being the sLOVEnia T-shirt, most people hated that meme here.

Anyway, don't take it to heart too much and have a slovene multikulti song.

youtube.com/watch?v=3N27SzQJTJY

This is why Australian wog culture is better than your weird American bollocks.
>Everyone loves smashing piss, so can appreciate a good lasko.
>Small diaspora, so inevitably breed/befriend/fight other yugos in highschool, along with Turks, Anglos, Vietnamese, etc (I feel like this is accurate because also in diplomacy everybody hates Slavs).
>aussies love a good BBQ, so you get to smash Chevapi on the reg. Kransky and balkan shit like Burek are actually considered Australian cuisine.
>Earn $90k/year as a union sparky as apposed to chucking corn for chickenfeed in the mother land.

America at the time was big'ed up to be this land where you could have a new start. Meanwhile, Europe was where people were divided into their old and somewhat sacred homelands.

t. non-American or underager

It was about power and politics which immigrants had no stake in.

>built on
no

that's why there's an official language, and a majority religion?

it's ethnically diverse, not culturally

a phobia is an irrational fear

>wow gratian, i can't believe that you don't want the goths to be able to flee here, they'll be just like us!

>how dare you xte xte, the europeans will assimilate into our american way of life

>constantine what are you, a xenophobe? The turks wants to assimilate into our way of life, come on, it's year 1016!

massive movements of people have rarely went well for the nation recieving them

America
>newly established nation with almost no culture of its own
>almost because their main culture was freedom of everything
>immigrants were all european
meanwhile
Germany
>nation that lived here for thousands of years and is part of European culture
>decided to import people from culture that rivaled Europe for those thous

tbph, I have a there's love in every Slovenian t-shirt because my Slovene gram who passed away had one that had red writing on it with a blue heart and I just thought it was the sweetest thing when I was a little girl (a long time ago, remember?)
So, when I saw one at Slovenefest at Enon valley a few years back, I bought it.

Of course Slovenia today must be modern and don't go around in their folk clothes and stuff, but surely there are places in Slovenia to hear button-box polka?

I was closer to my heritage than a lot of kids, but it wasn't weird or an anomaly that I was so. It's just way too huge a generalization to say that American's are mutts with flavor culture or whatever. In Europe history goes back thousands of years. But here, there is a huge, huge, huge population of us whose great or great-great grandparents came < 150 years ago. It's totally the norm for people to say "my mom's family is French", "I come from a big Irish Catholic family (take Conan O'Brien for a celebrity example), or "my paternal grandfather's family came from Calabria, while my maternal grandfathers family was almost French - they sailed from Torino when they left for America in 1904..." or whatever.

Some immigrants wouldn't work with blacks. Some early American (immigrants, too, but from a much earlier time) owned black slaves. Some, new here, worked and lived alongside them in coal mining towns.

... continuing, damn it

just like I would have no idea that you were even aware that there was an "there's love in every slovenian t-shirt" let alone that it was considered a retarded meme there, I'm afraid your generalization of American culture falls way too short. I've been speaking of just one region of the country where so many people settled at the turn of the century to work in said mines and mills. You don't have to go very far Eastward to find families that were here 100 years before that, cities that were some of the nation's very first. Then there's Phoenix, which grew into a city after the invention of air-conditioning.

Americans are different from region to region, and within regions you have varying immigrant experiences. It's a rich and complicated history obviously. Yes, we have a broad "united" American culture, but that doesn't erase our individual ethnic heritages. But to delve into unique immigration experiences (look at our "build the wall" culture now, and all of our Indian and Chinese physicians... we've barely begun to scratch the surface), I don't know how to begin to have an informative discussion about it on our Somalian Ice-Fishing image board here.

Thanks for the reply. I won't take it to heart too much, just like you said. Really. (I am that kind of person, in general, I'll admit.)
and thank you for the song. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Wait till my grandparents get a load of it, holy shit. My dad is gonna laugh his ass off.

Here's one for you back, reminded me of it
youtu.be/yO7MWuJ7zLA

sounds pretty cool, and also a bit like what goes on here at every summer holiday/celebration/reunion/festival/concert and next to most university campuses on the regular. not the same, but like it.

I'd love to live in Australia for a year. Cheers, mate.

American with Slovenian family user again,
since this thread was headed to be a shitfest with OP R U KIDDING ME memes and the rest, I'm gonna take a chance and go off-topic here (though I guess I could try /int/ - I haven't lurked very much there in my time here, honestly)...

Just thought maybe a German/Austrian/Bavarian/possibly Euro-fag could tell me about "The Twinnies/Die Twinnies" here is the video where we stumbled onto them (listening to polkas with my grandparents, naturally):

youtu.be/CpmDAu_47OE

My 4yo niece is almost obsessed with them - we watched the video almost 10 times in a row when I babysat her a few weeks ago, until she finally fell asleep.

I can tell from the German (translated) wiki, they came around in 2009, and I've seen some vids where they do covers of modern pop songs. Just looking for the take on them over there, and in general about my question here
>Of course Slovenia today must be modern and don't go around in their folk clothes and stuff, but surely there are places in Slovenia to hear button-box polka?

The vid reminds me a bit of Slovenefest here, except people are in an audience instead of on the dancefloor. They look like the same happy polka people I know and remember, is the thing.

oh, and everyone else, don't judge. If i know Veeky Forums (and /tv/, of course), some of you may have just found new waifus.

>biggest Civil War in modern history over slavery
>over slavery
>slavery
Christ.

CLEVELAND
L
E
V
E
L
A
N
D

Anway, as for your button box polka, here is what most rural people today listen to.

youtube.com/watch?v=GLIhJ3ragSY

Of course there's loads of similarities to the Austrian/Bavarian style, with a bit of a balkan twist perhaps, but an important thing to note here is that this music is mainly the product of austrian cultural influence post 18th cenutry.

Here is some, that is ostensibly more genuinely slovenian, although even most slovenes don't know too much about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=03sZYITvY6Q

youtube.com/watch?v=7xRX7-RizlI

And this is what I was talking about, from what I've seen of american-slovenes, they mostly carry the 19th-early 20th century slice of slovenia with them, because obviously, most migrated there then.

There's no american slovenes that get nostalgic for Tito and Yugoslavia while listening to yugorock, no american slovenes that have a strong feeling about bosnian immigrants, that either love the partisans and hate the homeguard or vice versa, that love PavĨek and are still traumatised by Cankar's depressive realist literature.

Anyway, since you seem interested, here's a couple of slovene films about contemporary (urban) slovenia if you manage to find subtitles.

imdb.com/title/tt0333701/

imdb.com/title/tt0449662/

you do know that the indians ('native americans') also fought among-st themselves

>that's why there's an official language
Actually, there isn't

>and a majority religion
But no state religion

Not that I agree with that guy's conclusion, but at least get your fucking facts straight.

Those are exceedingly poor examples for your case.

You're a fucking loon if you think America isn't culturally Anglo.

how so, they were all refugees/migrants in massive amounts which in the end destroyed the natives

Thank you SO much, user. This is amazing. I love the music videos, I'm just enthralled by that folk music. Can't wait to find out and listen to more. As for the Austrian-influenced rural music, sounds like maybe a -few- things in Slovenia haven't changed so much... heh.
Tomorrow I am going to have to see if I can find some Pavcek (and Cankar) to read. And will give the movies a shot.
So glad we discussed this further, because I understand exactly what you meant now by "actual Slovenian". And I hope you can understand how, in America around other Americans, I might say "I'm Slovenian".
>pic related
Oh, and Cleveland was a great guess... You got the right region!
youtu.be/8xQRZP11NXs

Kek, I bet everyone knows someone whose distant relatives live in Cleveland. I have some in Cleveland, some in Buenos Aires and a few spread over Montana.

I've read your posts and must say to keep doing what you're doing.

t. another Slovene

>living in fucking Cleveland

Because all Americans are possessed by demons of the Satan who inhabits the soil and electrifies the air in the skies of America, the great Satan

It was the first stop for many Slovenes going to the States and it's well known that Slovenes like to settle down and not move around too much. From what I remember reading somewhere, American Slovenes have their own church in Cleveland and a street that is something like "Slovenetown".