Bruce Ismay

I know everyone likes to scapegoat him as being a coward for surviving the Titanic, BUT I feel him being alive was critical for the testimony hearings. Having someone from the head of White Star itself would be more beneficial than having him dead

Mmm. I'm torn on Ismay. I don't think it's wrong for him to want to live, and no one can begrudge him that.

I think the reason the contemporary and modern reaction to Ismay surving is so visceral for several reasons.

1) Ismay was not an ordinary passenger. He was the acting director of the White Star line, and was acting in an official capacity while the ship was sinking through certain actions such as when he relieved women of their duties (he even forced several female crew members into the boats, saying 'you are just women, not crew, now'). Is he crew, or passenger? He seemed to have wanted it both ways.

2) Multiple eyewitness accounts make it credible that the circumstances surrounding loading this lifeboat were not peaceful, orderly or calm. Ismay repeatedly insisted that there were 'no passengers left to fill the boat' (yet by multiple accounts, certainly there were) and that it was not chaotic (despite reports from multiple people of gunshots, needing to form human link chains so they could get women and children onto the boat, and so on). He seemed to want to downplay his choice by amending the circumstances--"It didn't matter that I got on because there weren't passengers aren't and it was so calm!"

3) The unfairness of it. If the 14 year old bellboys were deemed "adult crew/adult men" and couldn't get onto a lifeboat, why should Ismay be allowed a spot so easily?

It didn't help that Ismay's behavior and decisions after the sinking didn't endear him to the victims' families or eyes of the public.

Let's see how wiling you are to die just for your honor

I feel compelled to post that last week I went to a museum and saw the actual violin Wallace Hartley played as the ship went down. Eerie as hell.

According to Jack Thayer and others who knew him, he was a nervous wreck during the testimonies and the weeks following the sinking. A cynic could say it was for show, but I really think the sinking fucked him up for a while.

Oh, I'm sure it fucked him up for life. He had to be put on opiates while on the Carpathia. His wife said that he refused to talk about anything related to the sinking until his death.

An apt quote from a biography about him

>J. Bruce Ismay died on the night of 14-15 April 1912, and died again in his bedroom twenty-five years later. He was mired in the moment of his jump; his life was defined by a decision he made in an instant. Other survivors of the Titanic were able, in varying degrees, to pick themselves up and move on, but Ismay was not. His was now a posthumous existence.

The terrible attacks from the American press against him started immediately and continued for years. It is a shame that he wasn't able to carve out a space like other male survivors--Lawrence Beesley wasn't really criticized for surviving, and in fact praised for all the work he did campaigning for ship safety regulations and preserving the history of the event. Archibald Gracie didn't survive long but was praised for his research, then again he survived on the overturned lifeboat so there wasn't the same stigma as getting into one. And so on.

pic related

Interesting quote. I've just starting getting into the testimony transcripts, but since there's weeks of them I'm treading carefully.

I've been a fan of the ship since I saw the film as a kid. I was moreso interesting in the architecture of the ship, than the social and tragedy aspects. However over the past few months I've been studying more into the pre-1912 maritime history as well as the post-sinking aftermath.

Was this recovered from the water or the wreck?

It was recovered with Hartley's body. He had his violin case with the violin inside strapped to him.

I don't know if anyone else on here is following the slow moving Titanic Honor and Glory game development, but one of the things that made me admire one of the people on the team (I can't remember his name for the life of me, but he's super interested in Jack Philips IIRC) is during a podcast earlier this year when he talked about all the misinformation about Bruce Ismay and the unnecessary villainization he experienced in the press at the time, which has continued through film portrayals such as in A Night to Remember and Cameron's Titanic.

Cameron's depiction of the conversation between Ismay and the Captain is especially dishonorable on his part.

Interesting
Cameron, for being an anal historian, is also a showman, and put MANY liberties into the film that sadly most people accept at truth.

Honor and Glory should be good, I played Titanic Adventure out of time back in the 90s and was impressed by the amount of 3d rendered enviroments, and and equally interesting mission mode

The Honor & Glory team's video of the sinking was chilling. Too bad the team is really inept with marketing--the massssive coverage that the video got this year would have been the perfect time to launch a new Kickstarter campaign, since let's be honest, the general public doesn't give a shit about renderings of the Turkish Bath or 3rd class dining room, they want to see the sinking.

Actually now that I said that, I do remember in the last podcast they mentioned that they had been contacted by a well known investor and were in the works with them, hopefully that did work out.

I checked out there donation-tier levels on their site. Surprisingly, many of the higher ($200+) levels have been filled up. The fact that they have historians and experts on their side is good. I'm considering donating. I'm really interested in the full renderings of all the rooms (i actually tried to do this myself back in 2003 with primitve 3d software)

I was blown away to see over 7million people viewed the sinking video. I figured nobody cared about titanic anymore except maye for the 2012 revival.

bump

bump

>Cameron's depiction of the conversation between Ismay and the Captain is especially dishonorable on his part.

How so?

from an old thread on /tv/ but, same topic.

Also, one of the historians Cameron used as a consultant on the film flat out told the writing team that the depiction of Bruce Ismay was incredibly wrong and biased and was told, paraphrased, "Well, this is what people expect to see with Ismay, so that's what we're writing."

Very interesting thanks

What's the best book on Titanic?

>best book

It depends on what you're looking for, really. I guess A Night to Remember would be the best "general" history.

There's also The Night Lives On, the sequel

If you like shipdesign check out Anatomy of the Titanic

If you're interested in the making of the JC film, check out James Cameron's Titanic

If youre interested in beautiful paintings of Titanic check out Ken Marschall's Art of Titanic

bump

>Had he not jumped in he would merely have added one more life, namely, his own, to the number of those lost.

bump fir book recs