Any law fags here? im 30 and not getting any younger...

Any law fags here? im 30 and not getting any younger, after high school I just went to work as a laborer with no real thoughts of college, now im thinking it may benefit me to go back, I have always enjoyed hearing about criminal law and reading court proceedings from our local small town cases, I also feel im pretty good in a debate, so what about it Veeky Forums do u recommend someone become a lawyer this day in time or no?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm

Anecdotally, it's not going to be anywhere near as sexy as what you see on tv or even realistically think. Think ambulance chasers and DUI lawyers.

Sounds a bit late ofc but its totally doable imo. Its probably gonna be hard work to get back in the education system but you'll manage. You've got more perspective and more at stake than the others, it can work in your favor.

And also this guy is right. Criminal law is pretty tough, if you are not among the top lawyers you'll end up defending low lives every day, staring into the blank glaze of social misery and barely making ends meat

I was kind of looking at my age as a benefit, clients may be more likely to hire an older person than a young guy with no life experience, and I would want to stay in my home town of about 10,000 people, mostly drug possession, dui, assault, thefts would be what I would encounter im thinking, as well as a lot of land transfers, deed, divorces, wills, custody agreements, ect would be the bread and butter I suppose, a lot of the attorneys in my town are all older men now and wont last forever

Anyone an actual lawyer?

Aren't most law grads unemployed for years before their first job?

I've heard the career is basically dead unless you're in the top 5%

town of 10,000 people open own shop on town square friend, self employed

I say go for it mate, although be prepared to have a lot of trouble finding a relevant job. All I can say is don't give up. I am in a somewhat comparable position to you as well. I worked for years in shit tier care work but I started doing accountancy training (AAT) around 22, although it took me till around 6 years to finish it because I dicked around (should have been 3 years) but the whole time I was studying on nights and working in care, I was applying for entry level jobs but didn't get anything but eventually got a job in a big company in a call centre when I was 28. Then from there I saw an internally advertised vacancy and moved to the finance department, now I am studying to become an accountant - I'm 29 and have done 5 out of the 14 modules required. It's bloody hard work but I feel it's worth it, although I realise how far behind I am every day.

The office is very young and most of the accountants have done a degree in Finance which they finish about 22 which gives them exemptions so they are qualified by 25, I still have probably 2 years till I'm fully qualified. But at least I'm on the right track.

Go for it OP but don't expect it to be easy and get used to being disappointed, frustrated and tired a lot. But it will be worth it.

thanks, relevant job? I plan on opening up shop for myself in my small town if I pursue this

I'm 30 and a lawfag. Law is fun and you can have a good career in it.
There are lots of specializations to choose from. The more boring the specialization sounds the more money you can make with it.

But I'm actually stepping out of the branch to start my own business. Working for other people is a drag.

YES!!! that's what id like to do and eventually handle some small criminal proceedings I mean I can help a guy plead guilty to DUI in exchange for 2year unsupervised probation that he would have gotten anyway and take my $600 fee

By relevant I mean a job in Law. I had almost finished my Accountant Technician training before I got an entry level job which didn't even require the training at all. The problem is, that a lot of companies either want someone fresh out of school/uni i.e. 18-22 or they want someone with relevant experience. If you're over that age but you have the relevant qualification, if you don't have any experience it's very hard to get a job. That's the experience I had, but I'm in the UK so it might be different where you are.

Starting your own law firm might mean you can skip that part. But I think, if USA is similar to the UK system you have to get a degree, then do quite a lot of training after that to actually become a qualified lawyer, and usually you are required to have a job to complete the training from what I have heard. I actually know a few people who have degrees in Law but found it impossible to get a job as lawyers so they are in unrelated fields.

Although, if you are currently working as a labourer you may has well go for the degree anyway. Even if you find it hard to get a job in Law at least you should be able to get something better than labouring and eventually you will hopefully be able to start your own practice like you're dreaming of. The main thing is that if you really want to do it give it your best shot, otherwise you will just regret it and wonder if you could have made it or not. Even if you fail at least you will know you have tried and you could still be in a much better position.

I just lied on my first resume. If they asked for references I just found a better job offer.

Fake it until you make it.

yeah, I probably should have done that but guess I was just too honest (or scared of getting caught), but at least I have a job in finance now and the qualifications so I won't have to lie when I go for my next job.

>I've heard the career is basically dead unless you're in the top 5%

Yes. If you're going to an Ivy League law school, and do well in it, then things might work out good for you.

Otherwise, the field is flooded with lawyers who went to second and third tier law schools.

The only reason to become one really (if you're not going to an Ivy League law school) is if you're liberal and want to be a lawyer for Black Lives Matter or something. You will be paid very little, if anything, but they do need lawyers.

I would laugh if I didn't genuinely pity you

im the same boat as you in my 30s and no skills.. The only difference is i invested %60 of my money that i earned as a laborer for 10 years straight. to keep things simple, im not a poorfag anymore,

Just be a Paralegal, every lawyer has 15 of them

Don't pity me just blow me new friend

I'm studying business with an emphasis in law to further my curiosity of whether or not I want to pursue a career in law. I've worked for both a very successful family attorney and her husband, a formerly very successful, however a very good criminal defense attorney (he is a former prosecutor). Almost every day I would hear this guy complain about criminal defense has gone to shit and how he wishes he could go back to it. The repetiton in his complaints were annoying as fuck.

So take that as you will. He has everything he needs to be successful and yet isn't. He caters to middle class and above clients, but even many of these people choose to get public defenders.

I love criminal law, and if the industry was doing well I would go into it myself, but unfortunately that's not the case. Family law however will always be useful in middle class and up areas. (Government doesn't provide them to have attorneys for family cases, thus they hire their own. 50% of marriages fail.)

You're not gonna get much on here. You're gonna need to talk to fucking lawyers, yourself. Save $1000 and take as many lawyers to lunch as you can.
Try to mix up the different kinds of law, try to mix up the different size firms.
open phone book/google, and go.

Some quick notes having worked with lawyers/law students

>unless you go to a top 15 school you're not going into Big Law which means no big money
>there are a lot of fucking lawyers these days
>criminal law, enjoy being a public defender and making piss all
>do you like reading until your eyes bleed
>make sure you can pass the bar, tons of people went through law school but can't practice because they are shit at exams
>law school is high school all over again, full of extra competitive douches
>you better be good at networking