The Great Crash

So my girlfriends' financial advisor at our bank is sure there will be another economic collapse within 6 years, probably before 2020. I have heard the same from some financial consultants I talked too.

They usually cite geopolitical turmoil combined with the massive debt used to prop up the 2008 crisis. Fiat is built on quick-sand foundations of inflation.

When I google others the sentiment is largely echoed but reasoning remains vague.
eg: telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/02/12/the-world-cant-afford-another-financial-crash--it-could-destroy/

Will the Greatest Crash of All Time kick off in a few years, Veeky Forums? Or will we manage to plod along on inflation and debt like we did in 2008? What will be the cause? How do we protect ourselves?

Fucking gold shills man.

Gold will devalue too. How will you cover your ass?

I agree, there will definitely be a downturn within the next 4 years. Especially with how our government is just printing money like crazy, the RE market is inflated, and bank interest rates are so low.

But I wouldn't say a "collapse". The whole system has to be hot air for their to be a full collapse and this country has a lot of good labor, property, and ideas.

Anyway, just save save save. Don't live paycheck to paycheck. A well prepared person has at least a full years pay in their savings by age 30. And so on and so forth...

I don't think saving up gold will be some kind of savior in the event of a downturn, things will just suck for everyone for a while.

There's going to be a war before a financial crisis.

That's the only reason why the west got out of a depression.

We are overdue for a collapse. We are 7 years into this bull market, the longest stretch in history has been 9 years. I am expecting the dominoes to fall in early 2017. I'm holding off on buying stocks until I can get the clearance price.

Why not get shorts then?

This.

Put your money where your mouth is.

There's going to be hyperinflation, then the dollar is going to get rekt and a new non-fiat dollar bound to gold will be the new currency. Like it should be.

shorts can't be kept up for long shit is expensive.
you short when you know reasonably sure when it will happen.

As soon as the fed raises rates is when the next collapse will happen. Let's look at the world economy shall we:

-US real estate priced near 2007 highs
-Real wages have remain untouched for years, meaning folks can pay for said super expensive real estate
- Venezuela near collapse
- Brexit cause issues for EU in 2 years
- Deutsche bank near collapse, leverage is higher than Lehman brothers before they collapsed, and DB is bigger than LB.
- US growth has been fueled primarily by stock market growth which has been largely beneficial to upper class while middle and lower class are getting killed with low savings interest rates.
- China growth isn't being sustained
- Canada is very close to a recession, real estate bubble yet to burst in Canada.
- Japan has been holding off inflation with stagnation for 10+ years now with next to nothing as far as GDP growth goes, yet debt continues to stack up.

Factors at play:
- When fed will raise interest rates
- Who next president will be
- When the next country to leave EU will be, most likely France, Italy, Spain, or Netherlands
- If the EU can keep being flooded with cheap labor
- If the US can keep being flooded with cheap labor

My uneducated estimate: 2 years max before a recession. The fed will regardless of who is president come to the rescue with more QE / Helicopter money. Interesting times.

Go long on indexed funds and hedge with either puts (at various price levels) on said positions or with swaps against some of the higher leveraged companies like Tesla, GE, Verizon, etc. This protects you against upside and downside exposure in the market but premiums on options/swaps contracts may eat up your gains until your "inevitable reversal" happens.

How are you hedging? Where are you putting your money?

I've been expecting another 2008 for almost 2 years now, but understand no one can time the market. I've sold some securities I'm not excited about, holding off on buying anything new this year and just accumulating cash for potential opportunity. Most of my stuff I like for 10+ years, so could ride out another 2008. If it's worse than that, well, I have a pickup truck and some guns lol.

Oil stocks are fairly good buys, especially high dividend ones. Silver / gold although both of those seems a little iffy at this moment. There's still good up and coming companies out there you just have to look for them. Your average Walmart and Google stocks though are going to be over priced IMO. Chinese stock market should rebound given a bit of time, its at a pretty low price at the moment. Invest in yourself and earning a better wage / starting a business to earn residual revenue. Personally I'm about to move from an expensive area (Denver) to a cheaper area where I can buy my first house and rent while paying off mortgage. Pay off debts if you have any!

Look into tax liens, in my state they offer a guaranteed 10% interest rate return, typically happen in September ish depending on state and county. Your results my vary as laws vary by states, but essentially you either get the interest rate + principle back, or you get the property that the lien was against if you hold the tax lien long enough.

Good luck user.

good advice - thx user

Bro, people have been saying this as far back as I can remember. A clock is right twice a day, and someone shouting that a depression is coming is eventually going to be right.

How do you protect yourself? You keep living life, work hard to become a valued asset for your employer, save money and have a safety cushion in case you get laid off during the depression, have a backup plan like a small business or taking night classes to improve your skills.

Shorting is risky, you have to pay interest on what you short, and any dividends.

No, what I really should do now is sell puts of the stocks I want to pick up later.

ATTENTION: There will be a recession within the next 20 years. FUCKING SELL IT ALL NOW ITS HAPPENING

> A clock is right twice a day,
a BROKEN clock

Bitcoin

>Gold will devalue
Evidence?

Ever increasing carbon taxes will rape the economy.

ww2 sped up the depression recovery but america was getting out of it on its own

Gold to silver ratio is incredibly high, meaning that either gold is too high, or silver is too low. Best bet these days is to buy silver. You might take a hit on it, but it won't be as devastating as if you stocked up on gold.

You don't seem to understand that the economy is a form of control. An economy tanking is intentional by the government in a lot of cases. It's called pulling the economic trigger. It promotes less essential industries to go under increasing the supply of desperate people who are pigeon holed into joining the army.
We've been on the brink of a major war for some time, hence why the economy is crap.

I¡ve got 300k in the bank. Will it get devalued into peanuts? How to invest it simply?

How do goldfags reconcile their worldview with the fact that a soft money country like the us is kicking ass while the hard money euro is killing the countries that use it?

It's a credit bubble. We are too leveraged to deal with another downturn.

The recovery has been so slow that the fed can't scale back. So now interest rates would have to be lowered into the negative (lol) and there is no more debt to pump into it.

There is a reason why banks no longer want people keeping cash in safety deposit boxes. Make sure you have a stash just for day to day transactions because your cards won't work.

Within 6 years? Wow tell him to ease up on those big bold predictions.

You don't pay interest or dividends on short positions bud. You just have to send capital to your broker to meet minimum margin requirements if your short is really far below the trading market price of the security. Not sure if that's what you meant or if you're just stupid.

My bad you do pay dividends but who the fuck buys dividend-paying stocks anymore.

Bet on the next big crash. Dow Jones reached a new ath, short it with etf x2 with 100k. It's not much of a leverage, but a big drop is a good gain.

Wait for crash, it will go down around 3000 or 6000points. Sell your etf short with a massive win.

Now buy all the good shares, because it is dirt cheap and buy etf long x2 for 100k. Sell your etf in 3-5 years when Dow Jones hits 20k.

It's impossible to pick a date for it because markets are controlled by central banking, that there will be a financial crash far worse than 2008 is already set in stone, it's already in place. It depends on when central banks let it happen (they won't) or when their manipulation simply stops working.

The next financial crash will most likely lead to the collapse of industrial civilization seeing as oil extraction is no longer profitable without massive levels of debt

> A broken clock is right twice a day
> Gold bugs talking about the sub-prime market for a while before the crash

Sounds like a pretty reliable clock.

actually world wars happen after a crisis, after which the public spending pulls the country out of it

actually, BOJ might engage in helicopter money in September 20.

if there is a crash it will be manufactured so we can transcend the concept of "economy" or to cause certain sectors to fail and be "revamped"

everything is too controlled in the economy.
no nessicarily regulated, more manipulated.

all this doomsaying is pretty much scare tactics to get the pussies out of the market, and leave heaps of oppurtintuy to the saavy.

its a game, its the most important game to any yokel walking down the street, but still its just a game.

>getting pussies out of the market leaves of oppurtunity for others
kek

You all believe way too much crazy shit that you read about on the internet. I've been in banking (investment side) since '94 and I've seen multiple market corrections. All of them were supposed to be "the one that crashes the whole economy and ends the world!" yet none were. It's just an economic cycle you faggots. Goddamn please go to college and get an education and stop believing your own lies about bullshit that you are ill-informed on.

Stocks will crash someday, then it will continue falling for some time, and then it goes up again.
Just like every time before that.
The majority of Veeky Forums will also claim theyre able to time the market, but wont short because of reasons.

>He thinks Canada has a real estate bubble

Haha

You don't understand the world economy at all. The dollar is backed by oil and force. The us forces everyone to trade oils in dollars. If it weren't for this, the us could not continually print dollars.