Was consciousness a mistake?

Was consciousness a mistake?

Other urls found in this thread:

philosophynow.org/issues/45/The_Last_Messiah
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why would it be, /tv/-poster? you wouldn't be able to comprehend and articulate the concept of "consciousness" or "mistakes", without consciousness.
>but muh suffering, tfw no gf
wanting to undo consciousness because it's challenging is like wanting to cut off your legs when you get a charlie horse.

No comparison between wanting to shut down consciousness and something else works because if you're unconscious/dead you won't miss out on the positives but are spared from the negatives, which isn't the case with having your legs chopped off.

Only your /r9k/ kind of consciousness was clear mistake as it wasn't good for anything. For most of normal people it worked just fine. They got into healthy relationships, doing successful jobs and living meaningful lives full of real joy and wisdom. Basically, small mistakes like you doesn't really matter for consciousness to be useful in the very grand scheme of things for humanity.

>They got into healthy relationships, doing successful jobs and living meaningful lives full of real joy and wisdom.
No live is meaningful in any objective sense and none of those things have anything to do with having consciousness.

>if you're unconscious/dead you won't miss out on the positives but are spared from the negatives

How is that any different? Dead:
>tfw no gf - negative
>tfw no pain of having no gf - positive
Amputee
>can't run - negative
>can't get leg cramps from running - positive

Not OP, but without conciousness there would not be any human suffering. Animals , at least lower ones, cant be unhappy. If they are injured or dying its just responding to instincts. For humans its different. From the day we are born we pile up mental issue after mental issue. The bad in life ultimately drowns the good. Human conciousness was indeed a mistake.

>tfw no gf - negative
The nonexistent cannot be deprived of positives so this would be neutral.
>can't get leg cramps from running - positive
You'd be alive _without your fuckings legs_, if you can't figure out why this would be a negative I'm just gonna see myself out of this thread.

here, essentially embodies the Veeky Forums/his/ antinatalist NEET

philosophynow.org/issues/45/The_Last_Messiah

Animals like dogs can be depressed or suffer from mental illness. So it isn't really limited for humans.

The line is blurry. For animals who can experience such emotions non-existance might be better too.

Yes, but I'm unable to choose to stop being, and I fully plan to drag all you poor fucks with me.

You're mistaken in thinking the worth of self-awareness is determined by feelings, and not the other way around.

>durr hurr how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real
Why the fuck is this shit allowed on this board?

>(misguided) complaining about shitposting in the form of shitposting
Nice.

>No live is meaningful in any objective sense
That is a non-point because there is no objective good, period. Why would I dedicate my life to chase after a concept that we can't define? I'm fulfilling my own consciousness in a way that satisfies me, I create my meaning in life.

>none of those things have anything to do with having consciousness
Yes they do, the fact that we, as a species, go to work, have property, and basically everything else we do besides eat and screw, has everything to do with consciousness.

Not consciousness, conscience.

Because someones take on this topic isnt subjective at all... Also riddle me this, where is the worth in self-awareness? Nothing fucking matters and conciousness leads us to being miserable piles of shit, I dont think that the majority of people if any are truly happy. Life means compromises but Im not statisfied with that. Why live at all if you are gonna suffer?

No, those things have to do with the fact that we have sufficiently complex nervous systems. We all could be philosophical zombies without there being any differences in anyone's actions.

if there is a way to tell dogs to stop getting smarter we should consider it.

it would be beneficial to us, too. i can just see it now: dogs developing consciousness/self-awareness, viewing the world from a different perspective, despising their human overlords, and then literally biting the hands that feed them in a desperate bid for "freedom" as the dominant race on earth, when unbeknownst to them, their actions, should they come to the affect they seek, leads to a responsibility that more closely resembles slavery...

this of course would take more than a millennia to come to pass and in fact will probably never happen, i just like thinking in extremes.

>That is a non-point because there is no objective good, period. Why would I dedicate my life to chase after a concept that we can't define? I'm fulfilling my own consciousness in a way that satisfies me, I create my meaning in life.

But what if someone thought about this and simply cant be statified with living without an objective purpose of existing. Wouldnt you agree that suicide would be the best option in that case? You have to find your own purpose in life but if you cant why bother living?

The problem is that most people view self-awareness and life as sacred even if it really isnt. We do this to make ourselves seem important to our selves. But since 1. existence has no meaning at all and 2. even with conciousness we are just the product of our genes and environment and nothing we "accomplish" is truly ours there is not even really a point in setting our own goals.

It was a mistake.

We should have stayed in the trees, where enlightment, consciousness, and other horrible things never lingered.

> i can just see it now
There was a Rick and Morty episode with that plot.

> living as monkeys who can feel suffering
> not staying in fucking water without pain

It was not a choice.

>staying in water
lol, organic plebs get out
>not remaining inert elements in a gaseous cloud drifting through the void

>objective sense

now there's a meaningless term if I heard one. Listen, if you think conciousness was a mistake then that can be easily corrected. Just don't try and universalize your own pathetic life.

This thread was clearly not made for you, you dont even try to seriously discuss this.

Yours is, don't make me correct it.

>this of course would take more than a millennia
p sure some STEMlords are currently teaching dogs how to read and some are creating devices so they can talk
never underestimate science's ability to fuck things further up