Salvation outside the Church

>salvation outside the Church

We really need a Religion & Theology board

Agreed

>salvation
Pure ideology.

we already have a /b/

>Implying there's something I need to be saved from.

yes

Yeah, you need to be saved from what the Church is gonna do to you if you don't join it

You've never heard of the virtuous pagan?

>believing that everyone other than those in your cult deserve to be tortured forever
>considering obeying claims of authority to be "good" while disobeying authority to be "evil"

>extra ecclesiam nulla salus

>the church can hold salvation to ransom

I guess Jesus was just kidding around when he said 'Who ever believes in me shall have eternal life' (John 3:16)

>Believe in this spoon, or you'll burn in hell!

I am a Christian, but there are certain parts of the religion which I don't believe in or don't want to believe in.

Does this make me a proper Christian? For example, I believe all good people will go to heaven, not just Christians.

your first mistake is thinking people are good

I'm pretty sure if you believe in the divinity of Christ, you're a Christian.

and your mistake is thinking that good exists, its a spook

>Does this make me a proper Christian?
Who knows.

This is literally what the bible says:

1 Peter 1:17:

'The Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds'

Proverbs 24:12

'Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it,
and will he not repay man according to his work?'

e/b/in stirnerpost /b/ro!!!

>>
That one passage in Matthew about the sheep and the goats seems to imply that some people will be surprised to find themselves among the righteous at the last judgment, which I guess would imply they were non-Christian?

Anyone who thinks their deeds will earn them salvation is delusional.

James 2:10:

>For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

So where does this idea come from that non Christians go to hell?

Church doesn't mean denomination, or building, church means group and gathering.

Salvation is through Christ not through divisive groups who cannot agree. Personal connection to God is more important

>Does this make me a proper Christian?
doesn't matter. you can make your religion whatever the hell you want

retarded american evangelicals

>implying this is talking about the law

God honors when people do right. He knows we aren't perfect, and doesn't expect perfection. A humble and contrite heart is the appropriate sacrifice to God. Besides, this is what the Lord said about unbelievers:

'If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. ' - John 15:22

As in, if you have not seem the Lord, then he doesn't hold it against you. But you still need to be a decent guy.

>What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written:

>“There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away,
they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good,not even one.“Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.The poison of vipers is on their lips.Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know.There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

>19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

- Romans 3:9-20

All have failed and fallen short of the glory of God.

>Whoever has me has the Father, whoever has me not has not the Father

We already do. It's called /trash/