Prayer to Saints is idolatry

>prayer to Saints is idolatry

m.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaayx70zT0

>heaven
>real

No, the problem is that Protestants think that venerating is innately deifying something and prayer is innately deifying something, because they didn't grow up in ancient or Medieval times when you did these things with *all* your social superiors.

Only GOD makes people saints, by faith in Jesus Christ. No man can make you a saint.

You really don't know what "canonized Saints" are, do you?

"Canonized" saint in Orthodox just mean a saint who has a day or hymn or something. The major majority of saints aren't canonized, and canonizing a saint doesn't make someone a saint.

All it really does is officially affirm they are in Heaven.

>"my denomination is better because I say so!"
>"no, MINE is because I say so!"

You Christcucks need to fuck off to /trash/

*tips fedora*

No one considers idolatry is actually things like money, name brand clothing, what type of cigarette you smoke, celebrity gossip, or even someone's twitter account.

Stuff like that

Those are the real idols.

No, you can be affirmed as in heaven without being canonized. Someone can be held as a saint without being a canonized saint. At least in Orthodoxy.

There is nothing inherent in any of your denominations that make them either better or worse than the other, aside from your arbitrary preferences.

That being said, right click, hide.

Well I'm Catholic and we just consider it to be an official stamp.

I don't think we are against what you guys do, but I'm pretty sure we just like being super duper official with that stuff.

Explain this

Yes, that is true. A saint by the Catholic definition is simply someone who is in heaven. There's actually tons of saints I'd assume, since there's probably many more people that make it to heaven than the ones publicly professed to be there. Regardless, we can't actually be sure who is a saint and who isn't, but we can make a pretty good guess at it, which is what canonization is for.

Essentially, by canonizing someone, you are holding them up as an ideal for the rest of the faithful, extolling the people to follow in their footsteps, proclaiming that this person is probably in heaven with Christ.

>Catholics in charge of shitty plank form

Scrawny niggas need to work on their gains

>Proto-Papists

Sainthood is recognition comes by the laymen for us. Canonization just happens when so may laymen venerate a saint, the clergy get together and incorporate him into the liturgy. But there are many, many more venerated than canonized saints, obviously, some that might not even be venerated or known beyond a single diocese.

So it's okay to venerate Athena as long as I don't actually worship her, right?

Athena isn't real.

I was born a Catholic in the South, and so I was forced to become a miniature apologist at a young age. My grade school was something like 98% Baptist, with 20 Catholics and a single Jew. I can still recall the embarrassment of being asked your favorite Bible verse by a classmate and not knowing the answer, or asking what they were giving up for Lent and only getting blank stares in reply.
Thus, my two choices were to hide and therefore symbolically rebuke my religion, or know all I could to defend it in the coffeehouses of great theological debate that was the cafeteria.
Anyway, this story does has a point, and that is that over the years this is the issue has been brought up by Baptists the most by an overwhelming margin, and so I think I have come up with a proper response to it.
When you hear of Catholics praying to the Saints, you are actually noticing them praying through the saints. You are basically asking a very holy person to pray for you. Remember that God is timeless, he isn't bound to the same dimensions that we are. This is why you can pray for the soul of someone that died many years ago. So, when you hear say the Prayer of St. Francis, you are both praying to God, and asking St. Francis to intervene on your behalf to God. It is no different than asking your congregation to pray for you, except you're asking someone much much holier than thou.
I've found this to be a very effective way of making the point to people who have not had a chance to learn about the Church yet.

Didn't you get BTFO last thread?

On what grounds? Was she an exemplary servant of God?

Church fathers were heretics, more news at 11

Neither does St. Anthony have magical powers and he isn't watching over you from heaven.

well some gods and goddesses became saints. if i'm remembering correctly there was an Iberian (peninsula) variant of Diana that became a saint