At this point I have to wonder why a franchise(probably fast food) doesn't brand itself is "for the worker...

At this point I have to wonder why a franchise(probably fast food) doesn't brand itself is "for the worker, every worker" or some shit and pay their employees a 15-dollar minimum wage, advertising frankly that the prices of food will go up but that it's worth it to "give a living wage" or some shit.

The losses they would inevitably have to take may be offset by tapping into the market of people who buy from them out of principle. With a good PR team to get things trending virally, it can become the "in" thing to go there and support the worker/common man.

I'll openly admit that I've never run a business so I don't know the logistics of this would actually cost you, but I'm thinking maybe a business that provides some kind of service and pays somewhere above current minimum wage already so it's not as drastic a hike.
Am I retarded or is this a potential market trend that you can get ahead of and reap the benefits of being ahead of the curve?

Because jews would rather have 90% of 0 than 30% of infinity.

I just see a possible trend that it's better to get ahead of instead of behind. Especially if it becomes clear that the minimum wage will be increasing substantially as the left is campaigning for.

If you'll have to do it anyway, you may as well become the people's hero from a PR standpoint and get business if you are going to be required to make a change.

This talk from businesses about how "they'll realistically have to fire employees" is stupid in my view, potential customers don't want to hear that. "We'll continue to do our best to ensure that customers and employees both live as well as reasonably possible" is what the tone needs to be

Isn't this what In-N-Out basically does?

If they do then I think they have the right idea, in my view anywho. Everything a service franchise does needs to look like it's performing a service to its potential customers.

Tons of companies have and do, except instead of $15 they've used $9 or $10 or even $11. But $15 is completely unrealistic and isn't pushed by anyone except low-skilled idiots who don't know basic economics.

Most of the companies that have done this haven't benefited much. It's same with the "Made in USA" fad. People say one thing to virtue signal, but when it comes to their hard-earned dollars, people will naturally gravitate back to the cheapest things overtime.

because the only people who actually think that $15 minimum wage is a good idea are poor retards, who are actually too cheap to pay the extra price based on just principles, because "the rich people should pay for it"

This is essentially what Costco does. They spend a lot of money to cultivate a feel good brand and then tap into that market. The reason it hasn't been done in food service is because there is a different customer demographic for that. Your average Costco customer doesn't eat at McDonalds. When they choose to go out they eat at higher end establishments (where, entirely coincidentally, employees make far better money. Working tables at Pappadeux's isn't comparable to white collar work but the pay blows the golden arches out of the water).

Your typical (and by this I mean the sort of people who eat it regularly) fast food customers want cheap food and they aren't willing to pay a premium so that the guy behind the counter can earn a "living wage" or whatever. They probably don't even make that much themselves. Now, you could probably make a restaurant with well paid staff that serves higher quality food to higher end customers but then you're just like every other mid-tier restaurant out there.

Because the type of millennial liberal faggots who would care about these types of places are actually unemployed and don't have the disposable income to spend.

The Whataburger down the street from my place does that (not $15, but $11 starting and $12 after 1 year.) Their prices are the same as every other What, and they've been doing this for about five years. The local Free Times did an interview with the franchise owner. His comment? "My personal take didn't fall because my payroll is a tax deductible expense."

As you have explained, without a minimum wage it's a race to the bottom. So if the bottom wage becomes a living wage, that additional money can be spent by those who need it most, and it all goes back into the economy.

For most businesses employing minimum wage workers, labour isn't a big component in the product made so you won't see drastic price increases or businesses closing like the rich want you to believe.

And the $15 wage movement is asking for $15 by 2020, completely reasonable when you have minimum 1-2% inflation per year and knowing that the current federal minimum wage is way too low.

>As you have explained, without a minimum wage it's a race to the bottom.

No it isn't. Almost no one works for minimum wage anyways and value of goods will always be tied to the overall market.

>So if the bottom wage becomes a living wage, that additional money can be spent by those who need it most, and it all goes back into the economy.

Ah yes, ye old broken window fallacy. Money is a tangible, useful good, and if we put more of it into the economy, only good things happen.

>For most businesses employing minimum wage workers, labour isn't a big component in the product made so you won't see drastic price increases or businesses closing like the rich want you to believe.

labor is the most expensive aspect of these products. being a paranoid derp doesn't change that.

>And the $15 wage movement is asking for $15 by 2020, completely reasonable when you have minimum 1-2% inflation per year and knowing that the current federal minimum wage is way too low.

no it isnt

ding ding ding
we have a winner
they are either broke or don't eat fast food

The minimum wage is always $0. Minimum wage laws are just bans on low wage jobs. If a job isn't worth $15 an hour (as in it doesn't provide $15 worth of revenue to the company somewhere down the line) it simply won't be done. If it must be done then it will be done less efficiently by a higher paid employee or a machine.

Used to be in the early half of the 20th century minimum wage laws were explicitly about keeping those dirty minorities and women from "stealing" jobs from honest white men. How did people forget that these laws hurt the poor instead of helping them?

The type of people who care how much fast food workers make are the type of people who don't eat fast food.

There is no minimum wage in Switzerland.

Coincidentally, the absolute lowest salary you will get for a full-time job in Switzerland is around $4,000 per month (fast-food workers, cleaning ladies, etc.). And average salary is more like $6,000. Without any law on wages.

Looks like a race to the top for me.

This, 1000x this.

What you meant to say is $1 per month since arbitrary floors set by governments are the only upward pressure on wages.

restaurants are a tough, low-margin business. hiking your labor costs by 100% would destroy the business.

there is a reason why fast food/restaurant workers are paid low wages...it's a menial, simple job that a monkey could do. there is nothing difficult or demanding about the job.

and lol @ losing the majority of your patrons when the price of their meals rise significantly.

>inb4 the government imposes a minimum price on restaurant meals

Yes.
They pay $13/hr

BUT, because of In and Out's popularity, they arguably have to wok much harder for only slightly more.

At McDonalds, your shift is basically standing around, maybe serving 5-6 orders an hour until a lunch or dinner rush.

At In and Out, once the doors open, you're moving non-stop to fulfill orders until the end of your shift from 11AM to 11PM, there's a line at the place going out the door.

Yep. The only time they're a lull in the line at the In N Out by my work is for an hour at 4pm.

>The losses they would inevitably have to take may be offset by tapping into the market of people who buy from them out of principle
No. Not at all. People might buy into it for a little while, but the majority of consumers would still go with the cheaper product at McDonalds or wherever they can still get their dollar menu burgers. Nobody who is making minimum wage is going to turn around and buy fast food that costs them $20 a person just "out of principle".
If it was about principles, they'd be boycotting fast food and making their own meals in the first place.

Because no one making minimum wage would be able to afford eating at a place that pays its employees 15$/hr with full benes.