/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/ClaytonCLF/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd
youtube.com/watch?v=lAtHdNwoa9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=OLuO9kK9k10
youtube.com/watch?v=39agBcQ2Q0I
youtube.com/watch?v=6uiEFoc6iEw
youtube.com/watch?v=pOL9v9Ig39M
s3kr.it/gauntlet.html
mediafire.com/download/l7nng3xf6hf1yi2/retroarch_vulkan.rar
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/radeon-vulkan-beta.aspx
github.com/rdanbrook/nestopia/issues/165
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4ihv6v/haze_winding_down/d2y8a7a
github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/c82505ed9eb4a686164de18fcf6769b32f4de415
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Need_Games?
flickr.com/photos/133846393@N03/sets/72157667551215111
youtube.com/watch?v=e7sa28_oeSs
ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-tweaker-for-peteopengl2-plugin-w-gte-accuracy-hack.160319/page-46
ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-tweaker-for-peteopengl2-plugin-w-gte-accuracy-hack.160319/page-48
mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2016/05/08/winding-down/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

whats the best x68k emulator for linux?

Probably MAME. Apparently the best X68000 emulator is Windows-only, closed-source Japware that by default is fucking region-locked and requires extra steps to be able to use without installing Japanese Windows.

try running the windows ones under wine. they're pretty simple.

>Silent Hill:
youtube.com/user/ClaytonCLF/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

>Need for Speed:

youtube.com/watch?v=lAtHdNwoa9Q

>Bomberman Fantasy race:

youtube.com/watch?v=OLuO9kK9k10

>Spyro:

youtube.com/watch?v=39agBcQ2Q0I

>Bushido Blade 2:

youtube.com/watch?v=6uiEFoc6iEw

>Crash Team Racing:

youtube.com/watch?v=pOL9v9Ig39M

>bomberman fantasy race

And here I thought no one else liked that game.

So apparently Nestopia can't play the crowd noises in the NES Super Mario All Stars intro.

Can we break out the torches and pitchforks as we damn it as being an inaccurate piece of shit for not 100% properly handling a ROM hack that won't even work on flash carts?

is there a site that just randomly generates a game for you to play? like say you just click a button and then it says "ass eater 64" and you have to play that.

don't worry, back when we were in the "mario kart 64 is popular lets makes racing games for every cartoon mascot" this one was pretty cool

how does wine handle audio/video sync? as good as retroarch?

s3kr.it/gauntlet.html

Reposting from last thread:

Alright emugen, a call to action!

Currently, RetroArch's Vulkan driver works in Windows, except Vsync appears to be broken, as evidenced by tearing with audio sync on, and no frame limiter with audio sync off. However, it has only been tested with Nvidia cards thus far on Windows (it seems to work as intended on Linux). As such, the devs have no idea whether the issue lies with Nvidia's implementation or an error on their end.

If you have AMD or Intel hardware that is Vulkan-capable and use Windows, please download this build and report whether Vsync is working or not:

mediafire.com/download/l7nng3xf6hf1yi2/retroarch_vulkan.rar

Currently, Intel has only released Vulkan-ready Windows drivers for Skylake architectures. AMD friends can check here to see if their GPU or APU has Vulkan support:

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/radeon-vulkan-beta.aspx

I think this says "go to bed instead of playing games"

>When I tried ePSXe's texture correction it broke 2D textures in CTR. Who cares about more buggy shit? I would rather just put up with the original console limitations.

Yeah, why should it shock you that a new feature is buggy, or that epsxe's version is a hacked together bug fest on top of ancient code?

God damn look at this road. It looks normal. Normally the road is a lump fest of wavy shit.

The difference is HUGE. We are finally reaching the rennaisance of PS1 emulation. They look sorta like N64 games with better models and textures.

>If you think that looks good then you need to be shot.

You referring to the xbr? It's not for everyone. It creates a lot of errors in CRT it seems. 3-point bilinear, or bilinear is probably better.

tried punes for shits and giggles and it crashes when trying super mario bros usa and super mario bros 2 jpn. no crowd sounds (is there even a crown sound?)

obviously this means nestopia is the best choice for all your "rom hacks that don't really need to exist" experiences

There's supposed to be a crowd sound pulled from PunchOut. I believe FCEUX plays it properly. Dunno about FCEUmm.

just tried it and yeah it works on FCEUmm

interesting. wonder what emulator did the dev had in mind when he made this.

Probably FCEUX.

Nestopia dev knows about the issue already. He'll get around to fixing it eventually:

github.com/rdanbrook/nestopia/issues/165

How do you disable the FPS counter on RetroArch's window title bar in Windows?

How do I get Mednafen to fit the screen but still keep proper aspect ratio? I dug around all the settings in retroarch but don't see anything that applies.

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4ihv6v/haze_winding_down/d2y8a7a

Turn off integer scaling, make sure aspect ratio index is set to 4:3 or core provided.

Also, some games have hard-coded black bars. Sometimes on specific menus or screens even in the same game. Nothing you can do about that.

Also the number of games that do this is higher on PAL versions - lazy developers didn't just slow the games down for 50Hz (instead of fixing framerates for it) they cut off the resolution gains of the format too. Never play PAL versions of games that were made to be played on a television before 7th gen if you can help it. Don't know if that's what's going on but just to be sure.

emudevs have high school tier cliques and overall filled with way more drama than it needs. what else is new

integer scaling is off, aspect ratio was set to core, changing it to 4:3 did nothing.

Other consoles (like N64 and Dreamcast) are the full full 4:3. I'm sure Chrono Cross is not a blacked bar game and it's the NTSC version

>I'm sure Chrono Cross is not a blacked bar game

I just remembered that even if a game doesn't have hard-coded black bars, Mednafen always pads the top and bottom of games with a vertical resolution of less than 240 pixels with black bars. CC's internal resolution in field maps is 320x216, so Mednafen pads it.

I'm supposing it does this because, like I said previously, games like to be all over the place with their resolutions depending on the screen. For instance, FFVII runs at 320x240 with hard-coded black bars in the field maps, but the overworld runs at 320x224 with no bars, and the menu screen is 364x240.

Also, Chrono Cross's menus run at 640x480, so no matter what, the aspect ratio has to be preserved to account for that. In short, nothing to be done, at least with Mednafen.

i was able to run mame with kaillera back in the day w/o noticable input lag. (2007/8)
so, pretty good.

Thanks for the info, just tried it out with a few other emulators and I get the same result. I dont know how I never noticed this before with other emulators or even on the real console.

So I get this black bar when I use anything but native rendering with Mednafen. It's only in menus and only showed up in this one game. Anything I can do to get rid of it?

Wy are you even bothering? Chrono Cross is a shitty half baked game by differnt people than who made Chrono Trigger.

If you want something that feels like a sequel gameplay wize, play Parasite Eve.

Different strokes for diff'rent folks. CC is a better game than CT in my book.

Parasite Eve is excellent as well. At this point though I'm just testing things out more so then planning to play anything. Did just beat Parasite Eve last month on real hardware.

Hold up, Holmes...Is that a Yankee scented candle?

>Anything I can do to get rid of it?
use epsxe

It's a bug with the current upscaling code and interlaced modes. Nothing to do about it at the moment but either deal with it, or play in native res.

github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/c82505ed9eb4a686164de18fcf6769b32f4de415

Looks like the mad Dutchman heard you. You should feel honored.

Yeah, a black cherry and a thin mint

Ah, i'm not looking to play now anyways. Just wanted to mess around with RetroArch and the emulators it uses.

How good is RetroArch with different gamepads , my xbox one pad has just worked so far but I was thinking of getting a USB dongle for my N64 pads, will they work as easy as well? What about them HD TV Light guns? Will they just work? Would love to load up some mame light gun games to mess around with

it's good if you follow the rules and limitations.
With autoconf it's mostly seamless, I even have my autoconfs with hotkeys for toggles and all of that and it's plug-n-play (after the initial setup)

>github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/c82505ed9eb4a686164de18fcf6769b32f4de415

No coincedence, I dropped by IRC and asked about it.

Is there any documentation about these rules?

Anyone of you guys tried to emulate any version of Midnight Club 3?

Does it run well?

> complaining about closed-source while using windows
kek!

Is coolroms safe to download from?

Is this a ruse? Have you got some rubbish filtering applied to those images or something? they look godawful.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Need_Games?

>I am a dumb nigger.

PROPER TEXTURES = STRAIGHT LINES FOR ONCE

That's the first place I looked and the only site on that list that has an untouched JP ISO of RE: Outbreak File 2 seems to be emuparadise, but the download keeps failing midway. The only other place I can find it is coolroms, but I'm skeptical about how safe it is

Low quality Youtube blurry Youtube vids, with xbr texture filtering.

It shows off the texture perspective correction. Notice the lines in the road. They actually work right. Normally in PS1 games they warp and do all sorts of zany shit.

More pics:

flickr.com/photos/133846393@N03/sets/72157667551215111

This doc is bad. I guess the historical trivia can be interesting (although you can find it elsewhere) but the technical doc is really poor. It's incomplete and sometimes completely incorrect. For instance he documents the virtual memory system which simply doesn't exist on the PSX.

No$ specs are much more complete and accurate.

Forgot to reply last thread, that build you supplied crashes too.

>No$ specs are much more complete and accurate.

No$PSX documents nonetheless describe a GPU totally devoid of depth information.

Because it is? I'm not sure I understand your point.

I'm preserving emugen forever.

Another video.

youtube.com/watch?v=e7sa28_oeSs

I can watch these all day. Man it makes a HUGE difference. Suddenly these PS1 games look almost like old PC games. Or N64 games with much better textures.

I really don't understand the PSX emu scene. I don't get why nobody attempted that 10 years ago. I blame ePSXe.

Closed source and lack of competition is definitely a reason.

epsxe was "good enough" for most people well into the 2000's.

It's still good enough, because RA has a shit GUI

RA is perfectible but ePSXe UI is way, way worse

Oh epsxe/pcsxr gui is a clusterfuck. it's ugly. It has too many options. The plugins are ancient. You get used to it, but DAMn is it not fun.

Supposedly this is with the pgxp texture correction plugin.

But it's not working.

Did the person make a mistake on this, or does it not work for MGS?

ePSXe's arcane drop downs are a result of the internal design decisions of the emu being bad, namely the need to alter random settings to get the graphics to not look like shit rather than automatically applying the proper settings per game for you like something such as Dolphin. Same thing with the fact you can't alter video settings while the game is running--it's a result of them not coding the emulator to be able to do that rather than a problem with the gui.

RA's gui is broken from the ground up though on PC since it's designed around controllers.

>RA's gui is broken from the ground up though on PC since it's designed around controllers.

And it needs is the ability to use mouse by default. Bam done.

No one complained about PS3 GUI until RA started using it.

>And it needs is the ability to use mouse by default. Bam done.
No, the gui needs to be wimp.

>No one complained about PS3 GUI until RA started using it.
Probably because PS3 doesn't use M/KB and PS3 does not require you to rifle through settings to get your experience the way you want it.

The PSN store GUI is a mess. It should be organized by platform at the top, then by native retail games on that platform, native digital only games on that platform, demos on that platform, emulated games that run on that platform, and then a section for what's on sale on that platform.

Instead it's this fucking nonsense: all games, day 1 digital, digital only, free to play, indies, ultimate editions, bundles, PS2 games, classics, cross platform games, minis

Holy shit can you obfuscate your categories any worse? Why do I care if the game is a day 1 digital title or whether it has an ultimate edition if I don't even want to play it? I'll decide that after I actually find a damn game I want. "I want to buy a game with an ultimate edition today!", "I want to buy a cross platform game today!" What a load of horse shit.

What I think about ePSXe: They finally fixed what I wanted them to fix after so many goddamn years.

I can finally click X when I fucking want to close the emulator. No more process staying in memory.

>AWJ: byuu is adamant that this is the One True Way to do things, because any other way you need to worry about calling conventions and might even need (gasp) to invoke an assembler
>R. Belmont: and this is why byuu is unemployed.
>AWJ: you can't even go back and retrace his steps, because he's wiped the entire "programming" section from his homepage, and his old boards (which were full of technical information) are gone
>AWJ: you just have to take his word that "I dealt with this 7 years ago, trust me, if you try to do it any other way it won't work"

They bring up a good point here even if they're ragging on byuu for fun. What is byuu afraid of hiding on his old board archives?

Byuu is utterly irrelevant on the emu scene now. Why are you talking about him?

Because I want to know the history of bsnes, the most accurate snes emulator, and much of it is now obscured by the missing board archives

Did wayback machine make any copies?

Not nearly complete

>AWJ: he tends to get fixated on certain things, and become blind to the fact that they really don't suit the problem space he's working in

I tend to do this. Do I possibly have autism?

A shoujo anime heroine's eye fills with tears. Again.

WHEN WILL THEY FIX PS2 EMULATION FUCK

They haven't even fixed PS1 emulation yet.

but i thought mednafen shitters shilled their emu to be 100% accurate?

b-but MUH HD

the only way I found ePSXe tolerable was by using the Delta2 frontend to get individual per-game configs/memcards.

The only place that still has a download for it is Emulator Zone, on their ePSXe download page.

ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-tweaker-for-peteopengl2-plugin-w-gte-accuracy-hack.160319/page-46

>They'd rather make workarounds for a closed source plugin than improve other ones.

Is this what battered women's syndrom looks like? They can't leave their abusers?

MAKE A NEW PLUGIN OR EMULATOR.

I don't even know what this image is supposed to represent. Why would an ePSXe fanboy have a poster of mednafen on the wall?

The power of closed-source!

epsxe fanboy is outside in the rain while Mednafen is snug inside.

Have you supported RetroArch today?

Ooooh. It's a pretty terrible image then, why isn't there rain in front on the window?

Because I don't know how to make that effect.

You can use mouse/keyboard on the PS3's XMB though.

Daniel demetis just spends those on tacos while he listens to tupac you know.

>iCatButler: I think Simias and @tapeq deserve a lot of credit too. It was Simias' early implementation of the basic technique in the Beetle fork of Mednafen and Tapeq's adaptation to PCSXR that provided a starting point.

>Hyllian: Your work is very important for psx emulation. Congrats. But I have a question. Have you ever thought about working in an open source psx emulator?
>I think your work would Be more future-proof if you worked for an emu like beetle-mednafen core for Retroarch, for example. Simias is working on it to bring 3D acceleration. I think your work on perspective correction would provide a real valor to The open source efforts.

ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-tweaker-for-peteopengl2-plugin-w-gte-accuracy-hack.160319/page-48

You can generate them within RA so go from there

mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2016/05/08/winding-down/

No, the sequel to Chrono Trigger you are looking for gameplay-wise is Radiant Historia.

Story-wise it's Radical Dreamers.

CoolROMs is not safe.

I think cross platform (or "cross play" or whatever Sony calls it this week) means you buy a game once and get to play it on two or more platforms. Like PS3+VITA or some other combination. It's a valid category to have there I think, but the rest of your complaints are spot-on, it's a mess

>>marley May 9, 2016
>Don’t worry, RetroArch will continue your legacy.

Which one of you guys posted this?