Why and when did mercy killing disabled babies fall out of fashion?

Why and when did mercy killing disabled babies fall out of fashion?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groningen_Protocol
bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26181615
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_in_the_United_Kingdom#Child_euthanasia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Latimer#Support_for_Latimer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Haiselden
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It didn't, women get abortions all the time.

Post birth.

When adoption, child services and abortion became things.

The 'got pregnant and kept it secret and so could leave the baby in the woods' would once again be common if those services went away.

The wiki article on infanticide seems to point to christianity as the reason for the decline, at least in later rome, but even then laws weren't often enforced.

In Europe, around the Renaissance.

I seem to remember something about a brothel in England where in the sewer next to it they found the remains of hundreds of male babies.

People in the past made no distinction between a child in the womb or out of the womb.

What is China

Action-T4 did nothing wrong at all.

I meant in the civilized world.

HAHAH EPIC MEME BRAH

>china
>civilised

Nice meme.

Seriously though, the majority of people are still medieval peasants.

Shit doesn't change overnight.

>TFW The pope had to pass infanticide laws, due to being absolutely horrified at the amount of dead babies in the Tiber of Rome

Feels bad man

when trade opened up increasing the price of slaves

Its really just virtue signaling.
Most people will abort a fetus if it tests positive for debilitating disabilities. Hard to post nataly abort without people noticing nowadays.

Also, the State applies its protections to more people nowadays

Too many people these days. In order to keep the peace governments must be increasingly intrusive and universally enforce laws like no killing, even if it's the killing of a disabled baby.

I don't really think it was that wrong, for a time and place with no adoption services, healthcare, and abortion.

It may become a real thing again, if society ever takes a rough turn and money dries up.

It was never in fashion. Either human beings killed infants for their gods with blood rituals or they left them to slowly die because they couldn't feed them. Very few people ever killed infants because they thought it would do the infants good.

irrelevant shithole

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groningen_Protocol

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26181615

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_in_the_United_Kingdom#Child_euthanasia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Latimer#Support_for_Latimer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Haiselden

It was sure in fashion in Sparta.

Are you retarded or something

literally 3 seconds of googling could disprove you but I guess having an asshole for a mouth is nice

Kill yourself as well tb h

well where'd they go?

Yes, but they didn't kill infants which were unfit in their eyes because they thought this would be in the child's best interest, but rather in the Spartan state's.

i thought you weren't allowed to use western websites, Liu. this is serious. i have to report this to the authorities.

A majority of Americans are medieval peasants so the point is moot.

I don't think we can quite separate (ancient) meme from reality when it comes to Sparta. But yea, I'm sure tossing retard babies is something they did without much of a second thought. I've read that 'elite' noble Spartans had to sneak out in the middle of the night (on the timeframe of some special festival period) and kill a member of the slave class in their hovels to truly become a warrior.

It wasn't killing out of mercy. It was eugenics out if interest for those they didn't kill.

You idiot, the question was whether they practiced mercy killing not whether killing infants kept them up at night.

>Why and when did mercy killing disabled babies fall out of fashion?

When infant mortality was so high there was essentially no point killing babies, because 2 out of 5 babies died 2 days after birth anyway?

Read about Semmelweiss.