How long have militaries been profane with drill instructors yelling fuck you to every private and calling them all...

How long have militaries been profane with drill instructors yelling fuck you to every private and calling them all maggots and ladies and making everyone run 20 miles for 1 guys fuck up and stuff? Were militaries in like the 19th century like this? Basically how long has military hazing been around

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQEumX-NGc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Were militaries in like the 19th century like this?
They were worse.

Your shock at this type of training is unfounded. Everything a DI does is based on a long line of psychological research.

Ever since we needed "Drill" in armies so about 17th century when firearm tactics really took off. Drill came about because you had to drill people in the motions of reloading a musket so that they could do it blind from muscle memory while under intense stress. Reloading a Musket isn't difficult but there are numerous steps and its important a soldier can do it without fail as fast as possible. Eventually drill extended even further when of course getting into formation very quickly because very important due to firearms. If you think about it, a body of 200 men needs to be able to march in a column, stop, turn sideways, or wheel about, or do a total about face, or form into a square, at a moments notice. You're only going to train the men to do this again by DRILLING it into them through repeated training experiences, while simulating battlefield pressure.

Nowadays such maneuvers aren't needed in combat, but drill persists as it is effect in instilling discipline and you can also have troops march around town.

This from top of my head, so I may be wrong. Prussians were the first one who institutionalized en masse army as we know it. As a side effect, we also got public schools from them.

>As a side effect, we also got public schools from them.
That wasn't a side effect from having a standing military. It was a side effect of Prussian art encouragement from the same era.

lol in the past they would whip or kill you

They never had this in the past.

Horemheb would call his soldiers coward sons of whores, faggots and such

yes, roman legionaries are the most conspicuous example

more ad-hoc armies relied on customs and tests, many hunter gatherer tribes today require young men to pass various challenges

I would generally agree with you but there are still at least isolated examples of similar practices throughout history. For an obvious and pretty easy example, the Spartans would endure mistreatment not only from their superiors but from their own wives and mothers who were encouraged to continue the abuse at home. Troops of training hoplite's would get into phalanx formation and push on a well rooted oak tree with all their collective might until they uprooted it, and so forth.

Insulting/screaming at someone is the oldest and most effective way to motivate someone

if you are training people you want to motivate them

>more ad-hoc armies relied on customs and tests, many hunter gatherer tribes today require young men to pass various challenges

Exactly, one of my favorite examples is of the Etoro people
>The Etoro believe that young boys must ingest the semen of their elders daily from the age of 7 until they turn 17 to achieve adult male status and to properly mature and grow strong.

The Etoro believe that they each contain a certain amount of life force, the highest concentrations of which are contained in semen. This life force passes to others through sexual relations. Women are seen to waste the life force if they do not get pregnant after sexual intercourse. As people get older, and their bodies weaken, this is attributed to a depletion of their life force.

What kind of low self-steem cuck accepts a job were he will be constantly humiliated?

"I would never join the military, I'd just punch the drill instructor on the first day".

Since the 18th century most likely.

probably raised testosterone

Mostly it's about putting the recruit under intense amounts of stress and then seeing how he reacts and if he can still perform tasks.

Reloading a rifle or treating a wound is a fairly simple process in the classroom, but in a combat situation where adrenaline is pumping and you have bullets cracking past you and explosions going off everywhere, you tend to forget basic shit- unless you've been disciplined under stress.

Granted, being screamed at and insulted and threatened is very different than having someone actively attempting to end your life, but it's a good foundation to lay and helps you with the basics. In the end, the only way to get good at combat is to endure combat multiple times and learn from each situation. That's why AAR's are a thing.

Its part resistance to stress, part learning to obey commands no matter how they are given or how unreasonable they are.

I know this is the case in the US, so I imagine it is elsewhere, but rules of engagement and all such moral principles are passing fare compared to running back and forth for hours or smashing the face of another recruit with a stick because your DI told you.

>Ever since we needed "Drill" in armies so about 17th century when firearm tactics really took off.
Dude, formation drills have been a thing since early antiquity. Hoplites drilled. Legionaries drilled. Swiss pikemen drilled.

In the Russian military there's a good chance you'll get raped or murdered if you get conscripted, something like 60% of Russian men are draft dodgers.

Because every man in history was a was a reckless cunt in that age.
If a stranger walked up to you while you were 18-25 and started screaming that you're a pussy would you take that shit?
Especially if you joined up to see combat?
They gotta set these niggas straight and in the military you don't have a choice, it's either you take this strangers shit or you go back to whatever bumfuck town you came from. This is true throughout all of history.

One banned?

>how long has military hazing been around

It's not "hazing", you dumb fuck.

It's operant conditioning that is not only necessary, but done without the cadre even realizing it.

Your civilian life is meaningless, and you are a piece of shit, until you can prove you can be a decent rifleman, hump a ruck, and have the courage to face physical danger and work as a member of a team.

Basic training cadre only have 8 weeks to unfuck 18 years of shitty parenting and societal coddling, and sadly, that's not enough time to get the job done. It is a decent start, though....

Only a fucking low self-esteem cuck would be "humiliated" by some fucking stranger yelling at him.

YOU are the kind of pussy that that shit is designed to break, and break you would, faggot....

All you pussy dumb fucks bitching about getting yelled at by strangers.

You know why they yell a lot, and have the recruits yell their responses? Because a firefight is fucking LOUD and you HAVE to yell to be understood. They're just trying to condition those dudes to get used to taking instructions from excited leaders yelling orders, and getting them used to yelling so they can actually be heard over the loud ass explosions, cracks, snaps, and pops of gunfire being directed at their position.

>this many bootlickers swallowed the shit their di told them
Haha you faggots probably go on about brotherhood and got the soldiers creed tattooed on your back

>making everyone run 20 miles
like manlet soldiers in the 19th century had the energy/ physical ability to do this

>want to join the military
>parents convince me to get a BA and go for a commission instead
>talk to some former officers while I'm going to school:
>private gets 60% APR loan loan for a ford mustang which he wrecks six months later
>airman arrested for rape
>sailor arrested for attempting to fight two LAPD officers and the shore patrol
>airman gets catfished by a "eastern European model" and ruins his finances and security clearance
>sailor arrested for dealing Chinese synthetic weed after another sailor dies from it
>staff sergeant arrested for running prostitution/cocaine ring out of a Bradley
>lance corporal punches his 6 month old baby in the face and kills it, why? to make it stop crying of course!
>decide that maybe I don't want to deal with running herd on a bunch of idiot 18 year olds and change my degree to a trade skill

militaryfag detected

marches tended to last days in full gear, and the armies would travel western europe in merely days.
They had to be pretty drilled senpai

>marches tended to last days in full gear, and the armies would travel western europe in merely days.
so they had good endurance, doesn't mean they were fit
>They had to be pretty drilled
never said they weren't, doesn't mean they were fit

The thing of that is, the DI is LEGALLY in the right in that situation. Especially if you've been conscripted, rather than volunteered.

You are MORALLY in the right, if you've been conscripted, to stop or stymie the people who have enslaved you.

Sanity for real life is not the same as sanity for wartime.

That's sort of the deal with PTSD. They 'unfuck' you from your ability to survive in the real world by making you capable of surviving in wartime. They don't 'fuck' you back into sanity when you leave the military, though.

Pikemen would have done, like Muskets they could not operate those weapons without instilled drilled behaviour. But i doubt it was ever on the same scale or style as modern drill which encompasses every part of the soldiers movement.

>Pikemen Go

>welfare queen detected
FTFY

I appreciated that, user.

>marches tended to last days in full gear
Very rarely. Most personal kit that wasn't needed for field routine/an immediate contact was backloaded to the baggage train. This is especially true in pre-gunpowder armies.

>Were militaries in like the 19th century like this
They were more like this than that.

In 18th century flogging on the battlefield in case of insubordination was a norm.

You know, you're shooting the guys on the other side and some of your mates screws something up. The officer is shouting "GENTLEMEN I HAVE TO FLOG A TRAITOR HERE CAN YOU STOP SHOOTING FOR A WHILE" to the other side(which would often really stop shooting) and picks up that guy and flogs him.

When Indians saw East India Company soldiers doing it(on top of being completely stoic when shot at) they were absolutely fucking shocked to the point where their soldiers often surrendered outright to EIC/British troops, because holy shit - these aren't humans, you can't fight something that doesn't give a visible fuck about what are you doing to them.

2 different questions really and the latter is much easier to answer. Once melee fighting took a back seat to shooting and warriors no longer needed to drill against so much militaries started to develop fitness programs to try to counter falling fitness standards before then soldiers marched everywhere and drilled parade style for exercise alone.

Funny enough military fitness programmes have barely changed and most of the exercises like sit ups are archaic and as much harm as good.

The whole Drill Instructor meme is a very longheld tradition it's impossible to tell when it really started though wether it was a thing before national armies I would doubt.

I'D SAY

YOU UTTER SCOUNDREL

HARK AS I TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE SEEN

WHAT I HAVE SEEN IS THIS, MY GOOD SIR:

YOU, SIR, HAVE RECENTLY ENGAGED IN SODOMY AFFAIRS.

YOU DISGUST ME, YOU VILLAINOUS PLEBEIAN. NOW DROP TO THOSE KNEES AS YOU WOULD WITH YOUR MALE MISTRESS AND PUSH UP UNTIL I UTTER THE WORDS "'T IS ENOUGH".

I BID IT TO YOU, YOU VILLAINOUS BUM

>morally in the right
>being such an insecure faggot that you attack an authority who's trying to whip your pathetic ass into fighting shape
>being conscripted into the army is enslavement
>being forced to defend the country that you have the benefits of living in is enslavement
I found the NEET cuck

since the early 90s

before that they would slap the soldiers around and discipline them, instead of just yelling at them like a woman on her period.

This is the biggest load of codsbollocks ive read all day. This didnt happen. Its a troll or fool.

>2 different questions really and the latter is much easier to answer. Once melee fighting took a back seat to shooting and warriors no longer needed to drill against so much militaries started to develop fitness programs to try to counter falling fitness standards before then soldiers marched everywhere and drilled parade style for exercise alone.
No, simply wrong. Drill became a thing with the introduction of firearms because movement while in formation and deploying into formations were so much more important. They obviously had formations in the past but training to stand close together with shields is much easier than training men to go from a column to a line to a square formation in a minute.

If you can't handle shit-talking and verbal abuse, you don't belong in high stress situations. Not just combat, but competitive sports, professional occupations, etc.

I think the idea that individual feelings should be coddled over getting the job done is the thing that's a new concept.

Confirmed for never forming a testudo with his bros

You forgot some...
>Female 1LT fired for prostitution
>Male 2LT fired for being a faggot and fucking subordinates
>1LT arrested for DUI
>CPT charged with embezzlement of funds for filing false TDY claims

There's enough shit bags to go around, and it's just going to get worse now that they've lowered the standards even further to accommodate women and faggots.

Pussy detected.

>I have absolutely no idea what the fuck I'm talking about: The Post

>Were militaries in like the 19th century like this?

it was actually very similar, as you can see in this footage from the Napoleonic wars:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQEumX-NGc

85% of the military are support, and service support jobs, which means they're basically civilians in uniform anyways.

They have no problems transitioning because they essentially never left the civilian world, and they never had to fight anything other than boredom.

Nope.

I actually fought for, and earned, my pay, unlike most of the shitbags in uniform.

Thanks anyway, though, sunshine.

>When Indians saw East India Company soldiers doing it(on top of being completely stoic when shot at) they were absolutely fucking shocked to the point where their soldiers often surrendered outright to EIC/British troops, because holy shit - these aren't humans, you can't fight something that doesn't give a visible fuck about what are you doing to them.
>this is what britbongs tell themselves at night
This is literally wewuzism you fucking faggot

Indians were training soldiers on european patterns even before the BEIC was even arming soldiers in the same way. That's where the word sepoy comes from, its an anglicized spelling of the word sipahi, aka the general word for soldier used in india at that time. Early EIC campaigns were pretty fucking shitty because they never had the cavalry component to match their enemies. The 1st anglo maratha war ended with the brits losing on a tactical level.

The BEIC came out on top because they turtled up and made alliances with smaller states who didn't want to be ruled by the marathas/mughals/assorted regional hegemon

Now kill yourself.

>>Female 1LT fired for prostitution
that sounds hot
tell me more.

I remember that I have read an excerpt from a text of an Egyptian writter who described the training in the antique Egyptian army.
Apparently the recruits got beaten to a pulp already on their first day, so they got used to the pain and that with a complete disregard towards them surviving it.
People knew all throughout history that to make a killing machine, you would need to make a recruit used to the harsh reallities of a battlefield as closely as possible.
Modern drilling is not sufficient t.b.h., but humanist ideas prevent the modern society from turning people into murderous beasts who can not do anything else.

>Insulting/screaming at someone is the oldest and most effective way to motivate someone

This is pure bullshit, if somebody is already self motivated it just destroys their morale. If they are a volunteer they are already self motivated and dont need to be screamed at.
If you want to lead people you need to have their respect first.

>mfw 60% of the guys in my training platoon were gang bangers who were clearly going to take the skills they learned back to their gangs

Shits fucking ridiculous. Before I enlisted I thought the Marines were a higher grade above the rest of the branches but when I got in I realized they're hyped up and believe their own bullshit.

Everyone is motivated to go to war until they're actually in war you dumb faggot.

>movies women will never understand

>If they are a volunteer they are already self motivated and dont need to be screamed at.
hahhahahahahahhaha

Whiplash is the best here, glad to finally see it

>2001
>Implying anyone understands that movie

>assuming all conscription is for defense
Why are you on a history board?

Roman centurions were famous for doing shit like this. They were loathed by their men because they beat people with coiled sticks and would accept bribes in exchange for less duties.

>tfw half your gf's favorite movies are on that list

That's pretty vulgar for a kang and shiet.

What a dumb fucking myth are you one of the tards who believe there are polar bears roaming Moscow and every Russian has AK47 and Stalin posters in his house?

Why wouldn't women understand Last Samurai or The good the bad and the ugly?

it's a meme list, try not to think about it too much

it was true in the 90's

The polar bears?

all of it

>tfw was an MP and dealt with mouth breathers like this on the daily stateside
>then went to Afghanistan and got shot at 24/7

People hate MPs but we hate all of you more

>so they had endurance, doesn't mean they were fit

>if somebody is already self motivated it just destroys their morale.

A self motivated individual doesn't allow the hollow insults of a stranger destroy their morale.

That's what pussies do.

The M.P.'s cowering behind their blown the fuck up HMMWV in Baqubah back in 07' didn't seem to hate us when we responded to secure their fucking area for them. Their "stronk womyn" M.P. chick was crying, though, so maybe she hated us....

What's fucked up is that the reason a lot of those shitbags we all had to deal with were actually in service in the first place, is because shitty senior NCO's and officers refused to allow their junior leaders to kick them the fuck out of service. That's why I got the fuck out...

>assuming I'm pathetic and need to be whipped into shape
>thinking conscription ISN'T enslavement
>"benefits of living in"

>he thought the Marines were a higher grade above the rest
They're literally the choice you make when you're:
>too dumb for the Air Force
>too unable to sit still and fill out paperwork for the National Guard
>too special snowflake for the Army
>too landlocked for the Coast Guard
Their whole purpose is that they're the Army, but now we can stand in water

>no mention of Roman decimation yet

"Well, someone in my unit committed a crime, time to kill 1/10th of them to make a point! Oh boy! Here I go again!"

h...he's right tho.
Strength and endurance are two different things.

Yeah, but they're training for endurance, not strength
as the above anons pointed out, the entire purpose of drill exercises is to build up endurance and manage yourself under intense stress, and also to train yourself to be quicker and stronger, of course

>be in high school thinking about my future
>friend suggests I join the military
>talk with people
>realize that I'm such a pussy I'd probably kill myself during basic training

I dont know how people deal with it, I get why its necessary and that this sort of training and motivation from DI is has lots of history and results behind it but if I had to face it I probably would just break down and kill myself in the bathroom.

I thought decimation was a punishment reserved only for the most vehement of crimes?

killing off a tenth of your fighting strength seems like a last-resort thing to do.

Decimation was almost never used.

As in, you can count known instances of it being used on your fingers.

PRIVATE PYLE YOU CLIMB LIKE OLD PEOPLE FUCK

There was a Roman centurion whose nickname was "Bring me another" in Latin, because he would beat soldiers with his Centurion stick so frequently and so harshly that it often broke and he had to yell for someone to bring him another one.

So basically professional militaries have always been like this.

You take distance from it. You obey what you're told but keep in mind it's mostly a game of appearance. Then as long as you focus on keeping things in order you will not be the one individual on the line it will be the one incredibly dumb guy on the platoon.

Dude, i'm so sorry
"[spoiler]How big was his dick?[/spoiler]"

If anything modern armies are far kinder to their recruits. Not even 100 years ago raw recruits were treated like dog shit. As far as professional armies go anyway.

I remember a document from ancient Sumerian civilization if I recall correctly. It was a letter from a king to 2 princes detailing how harshly to behave toward their troops to keep discipline without going overboard.

This is how you thin out the herd and spot the weak, pussyboi.