History's Nice Guys

People who just wanted to help, but were punished for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

aljazeera.com/news/2016/02/zimbabwe-pleads-cash-stop-mass-starvation-160209181824106.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malnutrition_in_Zimbabwe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This

All he did was tell people to love each other and got executed.

Kek

He did nothing wrong. He only wanted the best for England and he beheaded a tyrannical Scottish king.

>wanting the best for England
>beheading a tyrannical Scoddish king
fine, but he still did plenty of 'orrible shit, by today's standards as much as by the standards of the day. also, england is lucky they didn't get completely sacked by a neighboring kingdom during all that infighting bollocks

Alright paddy, I'll take your word for it. The period of prosperity and freedom for the English was bad.

Obvious Choice

>charles
>a tyrant
delete this

In what way was he not a tyrant?

Tyrants generally do tyrannical things.

Like impose religions on people and refuse to hold a parliament? It might be normal in Scotland but in England this is regarded as tyrannical.

Altogether James ruled for a similar amount of time without parliament. I can't judge Charles as a tyrant for imposing his own denomination on others way back then. He might have tried to quell Nonconformist beliefs but Catholics sure fared a lot worse under Olly C

Belgians fucking up again

England is a protestant country.

And Charles was a protestant

>For the people. And truly I desire their Liberty and Freedom as much as any Body whomsoever. But I must tell you, That their Liberty and Freedom, consists in having of Government; those Laws, by which their Life and their goods may be most their own. It is not for having share in government (Sir) that is nothing pertaining to them. A subject and a soveraign are clean different things, and therefore until they do that, I mean, that you do put the people in that liberty as I say, certainly they will never enjoy themselves. Sirs, It was for this that now I Am come here. If I would have given way to an Arbitrary way, for to have all Laws changed according to the power of the Sword, I needed not to have come here; and therefore, I tell you, (and I pray God it be not laid to your charge) That I Am the Martyr of the People.

;_;

this is the way all despots speak. you know north korea calls itself "democratic peoples' republic of korea"? fatally kekky even at the best of times

>The English have liberty and protestantism too I'm a perfect king and I hold many parliaments

If we fell for this we'd all be going on about independence and eating haggis.

Basically every English monarch up to William and Mary were despots though, no point singling out Charles who really wasn't nearly as much of an absolutist as his sons were

It needed to be done for the sake of English liberty then.

what's the best biography on Napoleon?

One that focuses on his life and not on his battles, puting him in context of the Europe of old.

>Tries to negotiation peace before more people die in a justified war.
>Brits love war and bloodshed. (Just look at their history)
Thanks you fog-niggers

Sick evil fuck.

Racist scum.

Murderer.

Committed suicide rather than face justice.

No theater.
No dancing.
No alcohol.
No music.

Evil fuck.

>muh degeneracy

I hope he is elected just to see Veeky Forums 25 years from now.

Alan Forrest's is pretty good.

>Justice
Why do you think he would consider facing trial justice? From his POV he did nothing wrong

> Wanted an actually decent Western Civ Country in Africa

> Gets overthrown

>Country today one of the worst in the world

JUST.

>muh piety

kill yourself you fucking inbred it's been done death about why he was shit

very compelling argument

> Implying Mugabe is better.

> aljazeera.com/news/2016/02/zimbabwe-pleads-cash-stop-mass-starvation-160209181824106.html

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malnutrition_in_Zimbabwe

Very well thought out evidence on your part though.

>wanted the best for England
No, he wanted the best for his church at the expense of everyone else, and ruined the best of England (and Ireland) in doing so.

>"Badly mishandled. Nose broken at last interrogation. My time is up. Was not a traitor. Did my duty as a German. If you survive, please tell my wife... I die for my fatherland. I have a clear conscience. I only did my duty to my country when I tried to oppose the criminal folly of Hitler..."