Can we have a thread devoted to "retro-future": also known as what people in the past thought the future would be like?

Can we have a thread devoted to "retro-future": also known as what people in the past thought the future would be like?

I already have a folder from /k/ which I could share but I'd like some less militaristic examples as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hW0UeU4lhYU
youtube.com/watch?v=atwfWEKz00U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are there any predictions of the future that are really old? I mean actual attempts to predict or describe the future that date back 500, 1000, 2000 years.

Love this shit.
The best era for this type of thing was the early 1900's, just before WWI. Everyone knows about the brewing nationalism, but there was also the flip side - people who foresaw an interconnected, high-tech future, communicating by radio waves in Esperanto and reading Verne on your zeppelin ride to your relatives across the Atlantic. In all honesty, the future they foresaw was in my opinion far closer to the future of today than the today pictured by the 50's or the 80's folks.

Will be dumping.

Depicted here are what I imagine early ideas on high-speed trains and video communication, both of which are common today but are quite a bit more polished.

Subways

The author assumes that the United States, then will have acquired the whole of the western hemisphere attaining a population of 300,000,000; that the President will be from Montreal, U.S.A.
>will have acquired the whole of the western hemisphere
What a dream

Almost correct.

I love retro futurism

The Latin Americans just ended up moving into the US instead. How ironic.

>Dover Boys in the background pedaling some kind of tandem boatcycle.

Top keks

post more

nice catch

here's a 1960s prediction of the future in the year 1999, it's incredibly accurate about the use of computers in the future
youtube.com/watch?v=hW0UeU4lhYU

Near future, post-apocalypse and far future as seen from the 1930s
youtube.com/watch?v=atwfWEKz00U

>it's 90 degrees outside and sunny
>it 500 degrees inside your house
Good idea.

Literary retro-futurism: read E. M. Forster's "The Machine Stops".

That story was so fucking gay

Well it was written by E. M. Forster...

Book of Revelation

What is the giant hamster wheel for?

Wearable electronics are pretty popular now.

There was a book on the 21st century written in the 1700s.

For radioactive hamsters.

Name

Name?*