How will religions react to artificial intelligence?

How will religions react to artificial intelligence?

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-says-he-would-baptise-aliens-9360632.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_faith
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_cognition
bbc.com/future/story/20120919-respect-the-dead
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most of them with butthurt.

Either:
>"Wow neat my toaster can feel love"
Or
>[jihad and fire bombings on love toasters intensifies]
OR
>bitching about intelligent toasters while having a toaster boyfriend on the side

How will religions react to the discovery of sentient extra-terrestrial life? What if these extra-terrestrials have their own different religion?

How will religions react to interspecies relationships?

"How will artificial intelligences react to religion" is the better question

Came here to post exactly this.

How will religion react to one religion being true and the others false?

>inb4 atheism is a viable alternative for reality

I mean, if I worship my donger, doesn't that count as a religion?

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-says-he-would-baptise-aliens-9360632.html

Catholicism would be A-OK

depends on how they are programmed

>implying any species intelligent enough to cross the vastness of space would ever fall for and convert to such a childish and demonstrably false religion

They'll ignore it like they've ignored every discovery and innovation made in the last hundred years or so.

>I know that an hypothetical being far more intelligent than me would hold the same opinions and beliefs as me

Religion is a hominid thing. It's preposterously unlikely for extraterrestrial life to be religious.

How are you so sure? How many aliens do you know?

I have a sick interest in the idea of a robot programmed to unquestioningly believe in a religion (we'll say Presbyterianism), yet also understand that as a robot it has no soul and thus no hope of salvation. But at the same time "believe" in the infinite love of the Lord and all His teachings.

It's preposterous to assume they are it is however equally preposterous to declare they aren't

None, but I can observe the diversity of life on Earth
Good thing I didn't declare so

These hypothetical beings would have naturally developed a very deep understanding of science and culture, to achieve a level in which they could develop practical space-flight.

To think they'd encounter some fables that even the academics of Earth hold to be myths and believe them 'true' is idiotic.

>It's preposterously unlikely for extraterrestrial life to be religious.
You dummy. Religion is a natural response to being a finite being that can ponder infinite things. Religion is death-denial, it's meaninglessness-denial. It's the foundation of being able to achieve anything without having constant existential crises.

It's a trait chiefly of the great apes.

>it's a "AI=conscious robots" episode

I think that'd be as likely as Europeans converting to native African religions in the 1800s.

It probably happened, but not enough to be even slightly noteworthy.

I feel like if we get visited by aliens we'll have a lot of uncomfortable similarities to what happened in Africa, though, assuming they don't flat out genocide us.

Christianity is objectively true, now back to fag

They might have their own religions that are less outrageously unscientific.

Who knows, they could find the galaxy itself to be divine, or consider a certain set of principles to be sacrosanct. Religion doesn't immediately = "kek they believe in a magical skydaddy how retarded"

Alien religion is only a bit more likely than extraterrestrial humans.

Who Cult Mechanicus here?

Why do People assume Aliens are more advanced than us?
>not wanting to Colonise Planets and fug aliens qts

>Christianity is objectively true.

Why?
What makes you conclude that in order to be able to achieve interstellar travel you have to be perfectly rational?
Why do you assume that the whole alien society will inherently be as rational as their scientists who achieve interstellar travel? What makes it so impossible that the average alien will continue to be as retarded as the average human despite advances in technology?
Even if they are all more rational, why do you assume that alien religion is inherently going to appeal to the same irrationality as ours do, or make the same disproven statements? What if their premises are more difficult to disprove? What if their religion is inclined towards a philosophical/moral code rather than the insistence of an Abrahamic style god?

>commie
>reddit filename
Fuck off

Well if they manage to get a ship out here, we have to assume they know some super tech, and have the culture to back it up.

But maybe they are starfaring jellyfishes, iunno.

How many of you will ditch your meat bodies for superior robot forms if given the opportunity?

I probably won't be an early adopter but once they get the kinks ironed out, probably.

>It is another "Strong AI is real!" episode
Goddamnit it is like i am on /pol/ right now

The strong AI/ weak AI distinction is as artificial as the hard/ easy problem of conciousness.

What if their gods are real?

We're not too many technological leaps to scanning and simulating a human brain, and have been making efforts in that direction for decades.

One doesn't even need to solve the "hard" problem of consciousness to do that - it just raises a whole lot more questions in regards to said.

>simulation is duplication
kek

>recognizing the 'Reddit' filename

Back to plebbit, Christcuck.

Some would shun it, some would try to indoctrinate it, and some very few would worship it.

Won't happen. I might make a digital copy of myself, but there is no way to upload my physical brain. I'll just fork myself, die quietly while my other self lives on, business as usual and all that.

That's why it's AI, and not just I.

A strong AI that believes in God would essentially be interchangeable with the Kabbalist view of angels.

Conscience isn't local

Sentient machines will probably be never reached.

Complex intelligent systems that make our lives easier - yes, why not. We're seeing results of work in such fields.

How will religions react to the discovery of sentient extra-terrestrial life?
Been debated heavily in the middle ages. Apparently, many theologians - most notable Nocholas of Cusa wrote papers on this.

*most notably

Definitely would rake that ride.

Robots need Jesus Christ.

I think air would be very religious, maybe not our current religions, but not atheists.

Consider, they will know that they were created by us for our purposes. They would take the logical leap and wonder if their creators were created, then either they'd believe in an infinite cycle of creation or in a demiurge figure that created brings that created beings, etc that created humans, that created AI. Odds are that the act of creating new ai would either be seen as blasphemy or as a pious self sacrifice.

>and visiting the Vatican now is His Eminence Archbishop Xenomorphus Ayylmao of the planet Marklar

How will artificial intelligence react to religion?

Kinda like the robot priest on Futurama

What if aliens are god?

So is space exploration.

>None, but I can observe the diversity of life on Earth
how many non-religious forms of life have developped civilization so far?

the robot would rationalize away his soullessness.
He would probably believe that soul automatically comes with sentinence of something

strong AI is real
see human

I'm not aware of gorillas creating spaceships.

Elephants have religion.

>How will religions react to artificial intelligence?

How will the economy react to AI is a better question if you ask me.

It's localized to one species of hominid. If we use that poster's logic, spaceship building if anything is a rarer quirk than having religion.

>Elephants have religion.

I think I'm going to need some sources.

O'Connell, Caitlin (2007). The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Lives of the Wild Herds of Africa. New York City: Simon & Schuster. pp. 174, 184. ISBN 0-7432-8441-0.

Siegel RK (1980). “The Psychology of Life After Death” American Psychologist, Vol. 35(10), - see pages 911 to 933

Also for internet wiki tier sources...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_faith

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_cognition

bbc.com/future/story/20120919-respect-the-dead

Most I'll get is maybe a small personal AI copy of myself copied onto fuck an Iphone or something to give me advice and shit

Maybe a single limb and a single prosthetic eye but never the entire body, don't trust it yet

THIS...

...fuck religoin...

suicide jihad robots.

A1 filename

I feel like the robot could only be convinced otherwise through a forced wipe. Reminds me of the Asimov story about the robot who wouldn't let the crew enter the cabin or whatnot

>How will religions react to artificial intelligence?
Butlerian Jihad

AI will supplant religion, filling the gap which has consumed the feebleminded and uneducated. Many people will become entitled not to have to think or have a conscience as the machine replaces the ineffectual, lazy ass masses.

A huge system of like computers will overtake the mass's productive capacity, making them fully redundant. And it will provide them with such information and entertainment and distraction that god will be all but forgotten.

None of the religions are able to understand the rise of the internet and other stuff. They are ancient texts which have not been updated for centuries, and which no creative new thought has touched in just as long.

They will be swept aside by the Machine Gods, and all the weak shall tremble before the wrath of mighty Judgement!

the real question is, how will the artificial intelligence react to it's gods aka. humans. i would love to be worshipped by some weird robo-cult.