Turkish Military Coup Discussion

Discussion about why the military had attempted this coup and how it could radically change international relations

This has happened numerous times. The turkish military has always seen itself as the 'defender of kemalistic values', and when shit gets real ( as in this case: a government too much pro-islam in Turkey and Erdogan threatening the constitutional base of Turkey on an almost weekly base) they go for a coup to restore the stuff

The govt. has been butting heads with its people for a long time now, it was about time the army said "Fuck it" and just took matters into their own hands

Because military is based and Erdogan is a fucking shit

Do you not see the title of this board?

THIS IS FUCKING /POL/

MODS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SAVE THIS BOARD

As a far left person, i hope this is really true. One less right wing in the world!
Good luck Turkey

Fuck off to another board. Is time non linear to you? Is today and 25 years ago the same shit?

Based secularism returning

I bet the Russians are behind this...

Yeah. We should wait 25 years to discuss this or go to a horrible, extremely right wing board where no one knows anything about historical ramifications and use emotion and anecdotes as evidence instead.

> We must analyze today's event without discussing the history of the turkish military
Get the fuck out

On a more serious note, this is not the first time that the turkish army is attempting (and most often than not, securing) a coup
Last one was in 1982, in conditions pretty similar from today, as in, in the middle of a wave of terrorist attacks and political instability in the region, with a President having an ambiguous attitude towards the most violents political groups at the time.

And like this guy said They consider themselves defenders of the kemalistic values, the most important being the prominence of the military in the political life, and secularism.

But yeah you are totally correct, we can in no way draw parallels between history and current events....
Serisouly the interesting thing is in seeign why despite appearances the sitation is different.

> discussing current events than strangely resonate with history
> THIS IS A /POL/ THREAD OMG MODS MODS MODS
This is the fifth post of the thread, no one had said anything dumb so far except you.
The subject is interesting, shut the fuck up and go read some wikipedia pages about coups and the turkish military in the 20th century, and come back with a constructive post.

So what about the Kurds? Is this good for them or not?

this will be a valuable 21st century experiment in how a society deals with the stresses of globalisation, terrorism, refugee crises, etc.

we should be glad that turggy has volunteered to be the guinea pig. ten dollarydoos say they go so secular it ends-up full retard like france during the terror and every refugee trying to enter or pass-through turkey is turned away or arrested and then europe goes "yes, i like this, us too"

if the military are fighting each other and not them then its probably good for the kurds

Has any military since the last world war served any other purpose than to try to fuck up a third world country in some way (usually their own)?

As an argentinian, fuck every single military in the world. Verticalist structures are poison to people.

>argentinian
pls send beef

Before this thread gets deleted, let's analyze the history of Turkish military coups.

Turks often were the warrior slaves of the caliphates. In addition to learning how to fight, they were also taught literacy, governance, etc. These slaves (Mamluks) would go on to take over important areas of politics and economy or even entire polities. This is how the Mamluk Dynasty of Egypt, Seljuq Dynasty, and the Delhi Sultanate came about.

When the Ottoman Empire came about, Eastern Euro boys were taken and raised in the same fashion as the Mamluks. Likewise, these Janissaries would go on to take control of Ottoman politics and became a pain in the ass. So IIRC they got purged.

Then Ataturk came along years later and basically conquered the remnants of the Ottoman Empire.

So basically this is a great thing right?

Well maybe not for the ones involved, because Erdogan is fighting back, but atleast the good guys took over

Depends. Do you prefer democracy when the outcome isn't favorable or secularism at the expense of the voice of the people.

Nothing will happen. Erdogan will win since he's the democratically elected president for a reason. Hopefully the "Grey Wolves" don't try to genocide all Kurds again.

>lets turn his into another /pol/
You cannot discuss politics in a civilised manner on an anonymous website

>For the purpose of determining what is history, please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago.
Now kindly fuck off.

Seljuks were not mamluks, Seljuk himself was either a chief or prominent member of the Oghuz tribes.

This isn't Veeky Forums related and the retard who made this should get a ban, but fuck it. I think this coup is good, Erdogan is a retarded piece of shit that everyone else was too much of a pussy to stop. Good on the military realizing their first duty is to the people and not the head of state.

What if this plays into Russia's interests or possibly ISIS?

>grey wolves don't try to genocide the turks again
They did?

How could it play into ISIS, they just got rid of the fucker supporting ISIS

Nigga Kemal literally started the Turkish Kurdish Conflict

Can someone post that image about
>if you turn your back on a Turk you will find him genociding a minority every time

Well I wouldn't call Turkey under Erdogan a democracy.

ISIS can't even beat the Syrian and Iraqi military, nor the paramilitary groups that have sprung up in the crisis. Turkey has a large and advanced army, they will be fine. And Russia would get the shitstorm of the century if they tried to intervene in Turkey.

Can't see why Russia would, they pretty much hate te current Turkish government.

Couldn't find my pic of americans deluding themselves about Iraq, but your 100 percent wrong.

What's your defination of democracy?

You gonna refute my stance, or are you gonna just post meme pics? Fuck off underage autist.

In all seriousness, I think the reason we can discuss this on Veeky Forums is because it's an example of history repeating. It's a very near repeat of the 1982 coup.

What is the next step if the coup is a success? Can this lead somewhat to the return of Constantinopla?

What was it like during the 1982 coup?

>instability in ME
>president tepid on opposing radicalism
>also trying to subvert democracy
It's eerily similar

Veeky Forums HAS A FUCKING BOARD FOR CURRENT NEWS
>>>>news

>liking secularism to begin with

>kebab removal
>post a parasite retard
LOL

Whats the likelihood of other countries following suit? I hope the cucked French army brutalizes all those mudslime refugees.

Secularism isn't bad
Its Laicitism that is the problem.

Oh, I didn't know such a word exists. Yea, laicism is what I hate.

care to explain yourselves you memers?

how is separation of church and state bad?

>go out for a nice lunch
>have a pleasant chat with my gf
>come back home
>get online
>fucking military coup in Turkey

Hook line and sinker.

>watch some evo
>go on a run to play some pokemon go
>come back
>Turkish helicopter and tanks are shooting up their civilians

Pretty much this. If it is a real coup and not just a staged event by Erdogan to increase his own power, then it likely represents the secularist army attempting to put down the more overtly Islamic Erdogan's government.