Anyone else here listen to classic music just because? I dont understand shit about it...

anyone else here listen to classic music just because? I dont understand shit about it, I just listen to whatever sounds nice. It gets tiring to discover only 30 minutes albums over and over

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=95DJ7oqTWK8
youtu.be/1uBqoyDEGnY
youtube.com/watch?v=erKsIJyfB_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=l5FAyGhgfDI
youtube.com/watch?v=Nnuq9PXbywA
vocaroo.com/i/s1LMa8cjivYt
youtube.com/watch?v=l6kqu2mk-Kw
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9mgdi4rNezhx8YiGIV8I22ICSuzslja
youtube.com/watch?v=7yl_eQpi8Ko
youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk
youtu.be/YsbrRAgv1b4
youtube.com/watch?v=RO3zH3P33kw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Literally everybody, special snowflake.

yes

I don't particularly """understand""" music either, but I practically only listen to classical and jazz because they happen to tickle my fancy

And also I can tell myself I'm more cultured than my pleb friends and nothing feels as good as that sense of superiority

I mainly just like Shostakovich and Prokofiev. real "classical" like Bach I can't get into

I find listening to classical music is like reading a book. It's very evocative like you're supposed to imagine what's going on.

I like to listen to it in the car.

These are the perks of any non-visual medium. Is there any particular reason why you feel that something like Gymnopedie is more imaginatively stimulating than, say, First Date by blink-182?

this. lyrics are distracting, especially if they are bad. I listen to music in other languages only so I won't know what the hell they're saying

Here's my reasoning for judging why classical music is superior to popular music.

Suppose you were to read a novel, or a watch a play, and within the first five minutes the protagonists meets his love interest, and they agreed to get married. The end. Like this, no antagonist, no plot twists... You would say that is a very boring play wouldn't you? I feel the same way listening to popular music. You hear the very first few chords and you already know how it's going to end, because the entire piece usually consists of repetitions of these same few chords.

Classical music, on the other hand, specially late classical and romantic symphonies, there is a theme, and a second or even third and fourth themes, and a development section where these themes get shuffeled and transformed: one theme that had first appeared in a light mood can now appear somber, one theme can develop into a fugue, etc. There are infinite possibilities. Then in the end there is a recapitulation of the those same themes, but never exactly the same way they appeared in the beginning, but with minor changes (on fine example: Bruckner's 7th, 1st movement). It is as if the themes were charaters in a novel or play, that undergo some life-changing events and as a result they evolve and mature. Like life, really.

I pitty people who say that classical music is tedious.

I don't know what you mean by "30 minutes".

I have loved western art music since I was a child.

The Masters reach the zenith and the nadir of our experience better than other music's.

Feel free to disagree, I listen to jazz and pop/rock too, but the Masters fill my experience in a deeper sense, sometimes intellectually engaging.

I will provide recommendations if requested.

I listen to Wagner a lot
Id suggest his ring series, as well as tannhauser
My favorite is tannhauser actually, i played the entire opera nonstop, no breaks over my campus radio station

yeah I agree completely but what I meant by not understanding it is the theory part of the music. The "actual" music. Why does mozart puts a single specific note in a chord and suddenly is a masterpiece? I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to learn but I'm not complaining, just sharing a thought.
I listen to a lot of music and it gets tiring to find a godo album, download it and when I finally listen to it, I have to repeat the whole process 30 minutes after(I think the average for albums are 30 minutes)

Tannhauser overture gives me a boner

You "get it" more if you see the notation.

This sort of thing is neat: youtube.com/watch?v=95DJ7oqTWK8

Lyrics generally take away from the imaginative aspect as you don't need to visualize it for yourself. They also generally present a concrete narrative.

That is why I am willing to help.
I have been listening for over 40 years.

What other types of music do you like?

I dont know. like I said I listen to anything that feels nice. I'm not attached to genre.

I pitty people who can only listen to one genre of music. Wheather it's classical music or heavy metal.

ma niggas, tannhauser is god-tier

Music and more importantly the musics audience has changed since the classical era.
Classical music where made for upperclasses while technology has made music available for everyone. Music back then was art now it is merely entertainment for the masses and entertainment for the masses is and will always be just a market where all you care about is profit.

You wanna find good modern music you got to ignore what the billion dollar companies shits out.
Good music is still being made you just gotta look past all the garbage made for people who can't even comprehend the concept of art.

who cares if those three chords are dope

My point is you don't need to listen to classical music to appreciate the art of music. Don't limit yourself to classical expand your horizon, classical ain't unique

Was a lot into it, still is to some degree.
Until I found post-rock. Then I fell in love and became my number 1 genre.

Post-rock is great.
Also try math-rock, my favourite.

I like to listen to Classical music when I'm doing activities such as reading and writing. It helps me with what I'm doing and it's impossible to abuse like Marijuana fags who slowly destroy their own bodies while acting morally superior.

I listen almost exclusively to classical. Mainly because I graduated from music school and all popular music seem extremely simple and shallow. I take pleasure in analysing and contemplating form or harmony.

I listen to primarily military and classical music. Most modern music just doesn't sound good to me.
My favorite song is the melody from the 'Parademarsch der Legion Condor', which was also used for 'SS Marschiert in Feindesland'.

youtu.be/1uBqoyDEGnY
song related

>Classical music where made for upperclasses
When will this meme end? Art music has always been manufactured for those inside the art music circle, i.e. composers, performers, and well educated connoisseurs who dabbles in both. It just happens that throughout its history there has been no shortage of wealthy and powerful patrons who belonged to the latter category and who are willing to employ provide a livelihood for professionals of the first two categories.

Math-rock too.
Zappa is a god

Why are Veeky Forumstorians so embarassing when discussing anything but history ?
Some posts here sounds straight from a parody sub-reddit

youtube.com/watch?v=erKsIJyfB_Q

Michael Bay should do the sequel

Classical music is so relaxing (like Beethoven's 5th symphony), it's good for falling asleep. Also making babies listen to Mozart will make their IQ much higher.

Everyone on Veeky Forums is an untermensch who are incapable of delving into many hobbies and acquiring their own tastes for them individually.

You know that there's Classical music that is only a few minutes like Hubert Parry's works or Grieg's piano pieces?

One is a pop song that is basically five repetitions of a 30s progression which itself is a repetition of about 3-5 bars of 4 chords, only being diverse lyrically. Oh and there's about 30s of intro, outro and a bridge.

Of course, comparatively, Gymnopedie isn't the best example of a very diverse piece, but still.

Also, musical dynamics, like holy fuck, compression was the death of popular music.

I'm a pleb when it comes to classical music but I do love Choplin's Nocturnes.

Chopin, Beethoven and Mozart are my favorites. Though I can listen to anything and still find some enjoyment out of it. Well, most of the times, that is. I still struggle to listen punk rock and metal shit.

And now the depersonalised bureaucratic state has replaced the patrons, and so "art" music has degenerated in to non-sense non-art. (As have the arts in general thanks to a thoroughly disrupted civilisation.)

If we want good art (including music) back, we need to bring back nobility, hierarchy, personal authority, etc..

That might be due to the type of parents that make their children listen to Mozart have a positive influence on their child's intellegence. rather than the music itself actually making them smarter

>Also making babies listen to Mozart will make their IQ much higher.
This is a debunked myth.

>That might be due to the type of parents that make their children listen to Mozart have a positive influence on their child's intellegence.
This may be plausible, but it's more likely that the type of parents who are inclined to make their children listen to Mozart are inclined to pass on good genes. Read up on the Savanna Principle.

Holst's Planets best suite of all time.

ALL TIME

I love that suite too. Too bad hollywood and video games have plagiarized it so much that it kind of spoiled a little bit for me.

I never got the appeal of classical music

it all just sounds like mindless fluttering to me

>length equals quality
are you retarded

Not him. But that's not what he's saying at all. Learn how to read.

Low IQ detected.

You suck at math too, don't you?

That would be true if the Nutcracker suite didn't exist.

>when discussing anything but history ?
I hope you're not implying Veeky Forumstorians can discuss history.

mendelssohn is the best composer
prove me wrong

t. Mozart, Vivaldi, the list could go on

But in reality it couldn't, could it...

Go choke on a minimal dick :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=l5FAyGhgfDI

it makes me sick

This is the most pretentious thing I've heard today. No one gives a shit that you listen to last centurie's top 40, and it has literally nothing to do with intelligence. Music taste is subjective. Classical music is more technical and albeit skillfully composed but you're not stupid for not finding it catchy anymore than you're stupid for not enjoying modern art, and anyone who considers themselves smarter than someone else based solely on music taste is obviously an insecure NEET looking for some stretch of a way to find self worth.

>he took the b8

ah, but what does the sickness symbolise

minimalism is a disease

You're probably right, but it was worth it for all the times I've heard people say essentially the same thing completely unironically.

Your dick is minimal :^)

>cant get into Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=Nnuq9PXbywA

Listen to Wagner. That is more than 30 minutes. More like 30 hours.

>can't get into bach

Wow! This is a nice joke, user.

vocaroo.com/i/s1LMa8cjivYt

i-i did my best

Luigi Russolo would be proud :^)

also

youtube.com/watch?v=l6kqu2mk-Kw
smetana is top tier

>I dont understand shit about it
Well, if you want to start understanding some thing, here's Craig Wright's Yale course on Listening to [Western] Music:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9mgdi4rNezhx8YiGIV8I22ICSuzslja

Those still are likely to have more harmonic and melodic variety than most pop songs. I'll bet at least 90% of songs today are completely diatonic, hell maybe you can't even hear actual harmonies over the pitchless drums drowning everything out with their banging.

Once you've tasted good steak, McDonalds' 'mystery meat' can be less appealing.

GUARANTEED REPLIES

In what way could Beethoven's 5th possibly be considered relaxing? The 2nd movement maybe but I'm betting you're referring to the 1st. It is the pinnacle of dramatic terseness, it should have you at the edge of your seat not the back of your pillow.

>can't get into Bach
youtube.com/watch?v=7yl_eQpi8Ko

It's b8 m8

My God, good thing we decided to keep our threads on Veeky Forums and /mu/.

>truly I am a champion of the common man

>Reddit comics
Kill self

Can't we make a push to resettle /mu/'s /classical/ threads in Veeky Forums. That general surely has more in common with this board than the other.

im a special snowflake cause i listen to random old music i find on youtube, no one listens to it except me

This. I only want to discuss music with Veeky Forums. /mus/ is a wasteland.

>dat comic

Memes were a mistake.

Did you faggot even read this thread? Veeky Forums is fucking abysmal.

Unless one of you are Poly or something, in which case I bet you feel right at home.

Let's round them up.

It's abysmal because the OP is worded so that anyone should come in and give random opinions. Generals have more austere OPs and are more strict with newcomers. Also naturally you want to transplant or headhunt the best posters

> you will never truly understand music
> you will never discover a new genius
> you will never become insanely jealous of him
> you will never sabotage him and finally push him to his limits transcribing his final masterpiece
> you will never end your days in the madhouse

who did this?

There's no such thing as "classical music" you fucking pleb.

Salieri, Amadeus

He didn't actually do this, that was just a movie

Still a pretty good movie, and it was all based of what they thought happened, its most likely not accurate but its still similar to the real story

Dvorak is the King.

youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk

>old recordings
>german music
swampy, unmusical, harsh, theoretical dependencies

>new recordings
>romance music
clarity, good-feeling, healthy, sunny, natural

youtu.be/YsbrRAgv1b4

Sibelius must be one of my alltime favourites.

This concerto is just astonishing.

I am aware.

I have a degree in mathematics and most classical music is shit.

hello my fellow redditor

>can't get into bach
The only reason someone couldn't get into bach is because they haven't listened to his works. He's widely regarded as one of the most talented composers to ever live for very good reason, his music is really fucking good.

de Machaut, de Navarre, user, the list could go on :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=RO3zH3P33kw

I'm not saying that it isn't good, it just doesn't appeal to my tastes in music

Okay, so say I genuinely enjoy listening to classical, but know nothing about it. Any good resources for educating myself? I don't know the first thing about symphonies, composers, verses etc.

>My favorite is tannhauser
Objectively wrong. Tristan is his magnum opus and it stands apart from his other works, Parsifal is similar in this respect. Tannhauser is paced dreadfully, it is musically solid though dramatically poor. The Ring has near perfect pacing/drama and exceptional music. I am amazed that you could put Tannhauser above Tristan or Lohengrin.. I can understand Parsifal if you were /r/atheism.. I suppose music is a subjective experience and so even Liebesverbot could be your favorite, though Tristan is objectively his greatest work.

It's okay, not everyone is supposed to appreciate high art. You're just a pleb and you'll have to live with that I suppose.