First farmers surprisingly diverse

>By using a new method that looks at patterns of inheritance of chunks of DNA, Hellenthal found that the early Zagros Mountain farmers have left a genetic legacy in Pakistanis, Afghans, and others, particularly in Zoroastrians in Iran.

>But the ancient Iranian DNA was dramatically different from that of the western Anatolian farmers. The two groups of farmers, who lived about 2000 kilometers and 2000 years apart, must have descended from completely different groups of hunter-gatherers who separated 46,000 to 77,000 years ago, Burger says.

>By sequencing 1.2 million nucleotides from across each genome, the team found that early farmers of Israel and Jordan (known as the Levant) were genetically distinct from those in the Zagros Mountains, and that both populations were distinct from the western Anatolians who later spread their genes throughout Europe.

>Burger and Reich also each used their data to peer even further back in time, to the ancestors of the Zagros Mountain farmers. They found that the Zagros people descend from a group of basal Eurasians who separated from the ancestors of all other people outside of Africa 50,000 to 60,000 years ago—before other non-Africans interbred with Neandertals. So the Zagros Mountain farmers had less Neandertal DNA than the western Anatolian farmers, whose ancestors must have branched off later.

The descendants of these early farmers went separate ways. Whereas the western Anatolians later migrated to Europe, Reich’s team proposes that the ancient farmers of the Levant migrated to East Africa, where living people carry some of their distinct DNA, and the Zagros Mountain farmers spread north into the Eurasian steppe and east into South Asia.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencemag.org/news/2016/07/worlds-first-farmers-were-surprisingly-diverse
science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2016/07/13/science.aaf7943
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dené–Yeniseian_languages
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diverse
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Reich’s team proposes that the ancient farmers of the Levant migrated to East Africa

No, it's Mesolithic not neolithic. I'm surprised researchers aren't using new genetic models.

What are you talking about?

>diverse
This buzzword again.

WE WUZ FARMERS N SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just means Caucasoids invented everything, which everybody already knows. It doesn't mean prehisotric """societies""" were multicultural you globalist shill. Now get run over by a truck.

>triggered

Seriously how much do you guys get paid per post? I'm looking for an easy job.

Have you tried ditch digging?

I think it'd suit you. Just mentally challenging enough.

DAZ RITE SON WE WUZ FARMERZ AIN'T NO WHITEY CAN FARM NUT'N

>Reich’s team proposes that the ancient farmers of the Levant migrated to East Africa, where living people carry some of their distinct DNA,
I always imagined Afro-Asiatic languages were probably spread by cattle-herders expanding out of the Levant. We know that farming reached Egypt from the Levant, and then cattle-herders spread from the Nile across the Wet Sahara (which would explain Berber and Hausa languages). Cattle-herders were also the earliest farmers in East Africa, which would explain the Cushitic languages. Semitic languages would have arisen out of those who stayed in the Levant.

The other explanation, that they spread out of Sudan of somewhere nearby, never made any sense to me. Language families usually spread with agriculture or because of some cultural/military advantage (like Indo-European chariots or Turkic cavalry) that encourages populations to expand. I'm not aware of anything like that in the neolithic Sudan.

Cattle herding has been taking place in Sudan long before even pre-dynastic Egpyt.

>I always imagined Afro-Asiatic languages were probably spread by cattle-herders expanding out of the Levant.
more like by trade expanding out of North Eastern Africa, from places like Eritrea and Djbouti, through Arabia and upto into the Levant.

This is why Veeky Forums will always be trash

>Burger and Reich
Didn't they fought ineachother in WW2?

>Cattle herding has been taking place in Sudan long before even pre-dynastic Egpyt.
How? I don't think cattle were independently domesticated there.

I can't imagine that every language from Mauritania to Iraq was spread by trade, especially small-scale prehistoric trade. There's just no reason for that to happen. Why would languages from Sudan go to the Levant and Nigeria, and not the other way? Why would there be any language change at all unless one language had some kind of dominance?

there's something about the sheer absurdity of these posts with exaggerated ebonics that really crack me up for some reason

We wuz farmers n shit

Dat lazy nigga here is uncle Imhotep

>be called Burger
>be laughstock at school for comical surname
>become succesful researcher
>people still laughs at your surname

Can confirm, there is a contemporary researcher at my brother's school who is in the top of his field, yet we always chuckle at "Doctor Burger" like its a fastfood chain.

Daily reminder that sumerians were an uralic people

Looks pretty comfy though.

>it's a "/pol/cucks get triggered" episode
>again

>not being 1 w/ nature

duke you dont have to have expansionist lifestyle (agri/military) to spread out

you have to just be in tune with nature and follow nature

archaic humanoids followed the migrating megafauna (bison, buffalo, mammoths etc) from africa all the way to eurasia in the americas

the megafauna led humans to spread throughout the planet

comprende?

I'm an anglo living in Germany. There's no end to the chuckles here in that regard.

WE WUZ FARMIN N SHIET WHILE WHITEYS WERE STILL EATIN DIRT N ROCKS N SHEIT

>you dont have to have expansionist lifestyle (agri/military) to spread out
You do if you're spreading into areas were people already live. Humans spread all over the world in small migrations into new areas without competition. They did not have mass migrations that could spread language families over huge areas, nor did they have merchant classes who might spread a lingua franca. That didn't happen until agriculture spread.

Most widespread language families today are associated with agricultural expansions; Niger-Congo and Bantu, Austronesian, Sino-Tibetan, Dravidian (probably), Mon-Khmer, etc. Others like Turkic, Tai and Indo-European spread because of military dominance. Afro-Asiatic is far too widespread to have been spread by hunter-gatherers or as a trade language.

Source? Also can we get the scientific article and data behind the pop-sci article?

>Burger and Reich also each used their data to peer even further back in time, to the ancestors of the Zagros Mountain farmers. They found that the Zagros people descend from a group of basal Eurasians who separated from the ancestors of all other people outside of Africa 50,000 to 60,000 years ago—before other non-Africans interbred with Neandertals. So the Zagros Mountain farmers had less Neandertal DNA than the western Anatolian farmers, whose ancestors must have branched off later.
I've read this as well, but why would they have not interbred with Neanderthals on their way outside of Africa?
Could it be that perhaps Neanderthals had moved into the Near East later on(due to climate change) and by the time the basal Eurasians left Africa they found no one on their way into Iran?
As far as I'm aware the supposed Neanderthal range is based, regarding the southern limits, on just two samples from Israel and Iran that aren't even that old.

sciencemag.org/news/2016/07/worlds-first-farmers-were-surprisingly-diverse

science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2016/07/13/science.aaf7943

sorry but that simply aint the case

anatomically modern humans followed the fauna just like archaic humans did and they coexisted with the archaic humans

many forms of archaic humans coexisted with amh including: neanderthals, erectus, habilis, florensis, shkul,

Fair enough, but my point is that mass migrations that could spread language families did not take place before agriculture, which is true. Hunter-gathered migrated in small bands over very long periods, resulting in highly diversified and isolated languages.

WE

>mass migrations that could spread language families did not take place before agriculture

before agriculture, many language families spread throughout multiple continents just by following the fauna/herd

including the Uralics of Europe and Asia
and Dene-Yeniseian of Asia and Americas

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dené–Yeniseian_languages

also in india there still exists veddoids who speak the original australoid language related to austro-aboriginal lang

I don't think "cattle herders expanded out of the Levant". There's more caloric requirement than would have been available in that territory to maintain a major cattle investment. I think the Levant people had alot of sheep, I think the Mesopotamian people had alot of cows. I understand this conflict from the mid 4th century bc, over grazing territory is what led to not only the Semitic cultural invasion of Sumer and the northern river valley, but also the first two signs of the zodiac, ram and bull.

con't
but I should talk to the topic
The evidence is from dental records of humans establishing that they ate grains. I am ok with this. However, my question is this, "At what point did agriculture become a practice, and not just settling in a place which naturally had a large supply of grains?". If you just lived in a place 10k years ago, surrounded by wheat, and you didn't have to plant that wheat, but you knew how to refine it, and you inductively knew it would grow again the next year, are you now an agricultural society? How do we know these people planted seeds, or can we?

there was no point for pre-agricultural humans to remain local

they were constantly mobile because they relentlessly following the herd, they depended on the herd

when europeans came to america they saw a glimpse of prehisoric eurasia. a land covered with an endless biomass ocean of buffalo, from mexico all the way to northern canada

eurasia and africa was the same

they would follow the herd not only for hunting purposes but to locate sources of fresh water, salt, minerals, shelter and depended in the herd to guide them throughout life due to inferior instincts of humans

the herd explored all the continents, humans were just tagging along and were led to all corners of the world

>tl;dr bisons conquered the world

The fact that on Veeky Forums in every single thread someone in the first 5 comments gets butthurt and starts an argument is hillarious to me

It's always strange to me how these kinds of studies always neglect to paint the full picture of what the agricultural development of the fertile crescent was like, failing to explain that all land development was centered around the central authority of the various temples that the earliest cities revolved around.

For example, the oldest city in the fertile crescent, Eridu, was centered around the temple E-Abzu, or the House of the Aquifer, which as the name suggests, contained an aquifer. It was the High Priests of Enki who had the vision from this temple to consolidate the disparate people of the surrounding lands and organize a unified society, teaching various people their advanced knowledge of irrigation techniques, all flowing from the sacred aquifer of their temple

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diverse sorry the word triggers you so much
>Caucasoids
Here comes the "I haven't studied anthropology but I read a few things about it on imageboards, here's how I know more than these researchers who by the way must be cultural marxists" meme.

Most of these sites predate those cities

Oh no people dont believe in your caricature of a black person, better make a post about how black people suffered through slavery and how they are lazy!! That will really sway crowds of non racist people

You know agriculture arose around 10000-8000 BC, right? And it wasn't in Mesopotamia, it was in the Levant, Anatolia and the Zagros. Farmers didn't enter Sumer until around 6000 BC.

I'm talking about the mass scale consolidation of the population and agricultural development as a unified society with organized systems of irrigation, not just early scattered farming

That's not what this article is talking about

>Burger says

lol

>Reich’s team proposes that the ancient farmers of the Levant migrated to East Africa, where living people carry some of their distinct DNA

Can we just admit that the Hamitic race theory was right and the only reason it was discredited was political, because people after WWII decided that such theories were bad because of Hitler?

Bloody hell.

Why has such a simple article sent the /pol/tards into a mental breakdown?

It's the misleading headline.

The article says that there were more than one group of ancient farmers in the ancient Middle East. The headline makes it appear like there was one group which was ethnically diverse like some multicultural London equivalent in 7000BC, which is bullshit.

And this is not an accident, the headline was deliberately misleading to push an ideological agenda, which is kind of sad by itself.

>The headline makes it appear like there was one group which was ethnically diverse like some multicultural London equivalent in 7000BC, which is bullshit.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

That is a clear case of title clickbait trying to dovetail with multiculturalism promotion.

>The headline makes it appear like there was one group which was ethnically diverse like some multicultural London equivalent in 7000BC, which is bullshit.

What?

You can't read.

It doesn't, it is surprisingly diverse as the first farmers turned out to be divided in 3 very distinct groups

It's 2016. When people read "diverse" they automatically imagine black people and Muslims. Saying that "early farmers were diverse" is read as "early farmers lived in a vibrant multicultural society with ethnic restaurants around every corner."

kek

fuck off to pol stupid bitch

>It's 2016. When people read "diverse" they automatically imagine black people and Muslims.

Only if you're retarded. It is a word with a diverse range of use.

This is seriously what set the screeching off? Someone uses 'diverse' in a sentence and you imply implications and flip your lids?

Top fucking kek.

>western farmers
>white
Farming is for fat womanly cucks aka germans, anglos, french etc.

now this is mental gymnastics!

such a shame got deleted, I thought it was pretty funny

It was. I'm going to start dropping in the word 'diverse' into sentences from now on in a diverse range of topics on Veeky Forums. It clearly unleashes hilarity factor 10.

Don't forget to comment 'WE WUZ X N SHEEEEIIIIITTTT!!!' in any discussion where african history is mentioned

Jesus you people are going to be used harder than cute tranny on d-block by the modern propaganda apparatus. You seem to have no understanding what subtext is.

Yawn. Go put a tinfoil hat on.

I'm perfectly capable of seeing through propaganda without losing my ability to understand English because I have been capering around shrieking about "diversity" all day in echo chamber.

>see the word 'diverse' in a sentence
>immediately assume the Jewish propaganda machine is trying to corrupt my pure Aryan values
>hehe not today
back to /pol/ nigger

so what you mean is
>/pol/ is either too lazy to read past the headline or too retarded to understand the article

If you think are "superior" or more "mature" because you interpret everything in the most inoffensive manner possible with one simplistic meaning then no, you are actually not very capable of seeing through modern propaganda.

>Equivocation ("to call by the same name") is an informal logical fallacy. It is the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning or sense (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time). It generally occurs with polysemic words (words with multiple meanings).

Protip: words can and do have multiple meanings. And some writers can willfully use double meanings to create implications and construct narratives that don't formally follow what they are writing about on the surface. Just because you can interpret a double meaning one way does not invalidate this practice.

>without losing my ability to understand English because I have been capering around shrieking about "diversity" all day in echo chamber.
Translation: In consuming media and what profess to believe I care more about how I conclude could reflect on my personal identity and what it signals as my tribal political loyalties than what is true.

It's funny because I'm a Marxist that hates /pol/.

Interesting how you defensively came to those completely wrong conclusions.

>If you think are "superior" or more "mature" because you interpret everything in the most inoffensive manner possible

No. I think you have just been spending so much time on /pol/ ranting and raving about diversity that when 'diverse' it gets used in a sentence it appears to trigger you.

Pretty crazy shit, user.

You know the people in those pictures are West Africans, right?

>merely pretending XD

kill yourself