What are some things you wish you would have known or learned at an early age?

I'm 19 and trying to figure out the best ways to invest/earn money. Anything you wish you would have done differently when you were my age? Who knows, maybe someone my age knows something I don't.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.samaltman.com/advice-for-ambitious-19-year-olds
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How to give good head

Buy kneepads

I wish I had taken math more seriously.

Although to be perfectly honest a lot of millennials tend to make poor financial decisions due to ignorance.
Pick up a Dave Ramsey and get good at budgeting.
Save up your money, spend conservatively, and invest safely.

Oh and don't have children while all you have is a minimum wage job.

Id have moved out at 18-19 by setting everything up in highschool to be able to do so.

Id have worked harder and attempted more ventures and ideas I had at ~16. Id have used the opportunities I had more, mostly with girls but I had some good mentorship opportunities too

Every man pays for it.

I wish I would've started life sooner, in general. Any skill, anything.

My aunt works in politics. Last year I volunteered for her while she was working as the campaign and finance director for a congressman. Now she's working as a lobbyist/consultant for people in the marijuana industry (Bay Area).

She's advising a PE fund about a plant nursery they want to open; giving them advice about branding among other things.

I wish I would have volunteered with her more and earlier instead of fizzling out a few weeks in, when I wqas 23.

I'm 24 and almost month into learning to code. I'm barely even 'coding' atm, but I'm hoping this is something I can run with and make some money. It's definitely the time to do it and I'm definitely in the area.

I wish I would've started something earler and have been in a place of at least minor wisdom by now.

I wish I would of taken more risks. The mistakes I learn from, but those missed opportunities, those are the feelings you think about twenty years later as you lie around in your bed, convinced everythings alright, and it's the vague feeling upon waking, before life's ceaseless routine kicks in.

Im a different 19 year old, but I'm currently doing this right now and it's scary as fuck. My uncle (who is more well off than the rest of my family) gave me a personal account with 10k in it when I turned 18. His kids (my cousins) are kind of lazy screw ups so he's trying to help me with my potential. I'm currently at a solid public uni and I'm ~4k into this app I am heading and fundraising with a friend.
I know now is the time to be taking risks and I'm too fully invested in this quit, but watching that $10,000 slowly deplete for something that may or may not pay off is starting to get scarier the more payments I make, as currently we are outsourcing to a reputable programming company in India. I'm slowly watching myself become more of a stingy dick during development calls the more I put into it.

pray for me anons

What is the app? If it has any use, and if you're not roleplaying, then your uncle can be a potential investor. You can attribute the $10k to an existing stake for him, giving him some more incentive to invest further.

I'd do the opposite of everything this guy said.

Live with your parents and mooch as long as possible - while you're doing that, work 40 in the highest-paying position you can without hating your life. I suggest avoiding fast food, but not taking on something like construction which requires ridiculous time constraints outside of just going to work and coming home.

Save, be frugal, and then try low-risk, low-investment business ventures. Some things you must learn the hard way, but they don't have to cost 20 grand.

more like dont have children until you outright own a home.

It's essentially crowdfunding for a specific purpose, we already have a marketing plan and have connections set up for advertising and whatnot.

And my uncle is chill as fuck, he told me I can basically use him for loans (within reason). He retired before 50 and isn't really looking to invest for himself anymore, so he invests in me.

He even gave me a credit card under my name to use for (and I quote) "food and entertainment". Right now I'm putting all my efforts into making this app a success so he'll be down to back me possibly for larger future investments.

I wish I did something about my Dysthymic Disorder... I've been chronically depressed since I was about 16, failed suicide twice and kind of just let life pass me by, if I came into money I drank it away, fucked away education to be the alcoholic friend everyone wanted to party with. All because I didn't see a future for myself, I always assumed eventually I would succeed at killing myself and would die young that way, like it was inevitable.

Then I met my missus, got into bettering myself, financially, physically... my life is just beginning really, but I'm 25. I just imagine, knowing what I know now, what I could have done with that time I spent waiting around to die.

Sounds like a good guy if you're not fucking around with us, who probably wants you to be successful like his kids will never be. Do him well.

So much this

at your age, i was worthless.. i didnt even think about money at that age.. you have alot of time to get rich user

More like don't have children.

Your app is going to be a failure

lol thanks faggot

lol

University *is* the easy route.

Get a fucking degree in something that pays well and then work on your business on the side.

How to hide my money from myself. Wasted tens of thousands on chasing pussy and other stupid shit because I had it on hand. Wish I would have put it into an account that I didn't have immediate access to.

22 here

My 3 biggest mistakes I believe were:
>dont buy shit fast fashion clothes and shit fast food. If you like drinking, just set a limit and don't go every weekend partying, its not that fun. It adds up more than you think and your clothes turn to shit quick and you have to buy more

>dont finance a car and save your money if you're still living at home. Insurance + gas + license adds up.

> there are a shitload of scholarships that nobody applies for. Decent grades and an essay can get you a lot of them

Never too late my niggers.

Unless you're a woman and you're trying to get pregnant. Then there's a too late.

I'm learning. I spent 6 years not doing math after algebra, and now I'm struggling through cal2.

How do you find scholarships. Every service I've seen has been a scam so they can sell your email.

1. Don't ever trust recommendations from Veeky Forums.

Got a recommendation on what/whom I should take advice from?

Well he did say you shouldn't take advice from Veeky Forums which basically includes him as well

26-yo

Biggest mistakes:
1. Picked degree based on what I wanted to _study_ rather than what I wanted to _work_ with.
2. Didn't make friends in uni - one of the best places to meet smart and interesting people.

Everything else I still have time to fix.

But these two were golden opportunities that most people only get one shot at.

Also this:
blog.samaltman.com/advice-for-ambitious-19-year-olds

This tbqh.

Which means he should take advice from Veeky Forums because you advised him not to

Mhm Mhm

*Your past predicts your future.*

Which is the exact reason why I'm asking these questions now because I don't want a shitty future.

Really? I was good at math in HS and College, and never fucking use it as an adult.

That Robinhood sucks balls.

Don't worry too much about chasing girls, you'll find it MUCH easier to fuck 18 year olds when you're 27 anyway.

Your job is to please your supervisor, nothing more.

Never stop looking for new opportunities.

Push even harder

Lie your ass off to land one of these awesome jobs

Try to get as close as possible to your senior colleagues and learn as much as you can before they leave.

Work as hard as you can and try to spend time developing yourself. Stick to whatever you start doing and don't give up.

Being a YOLO thrill-seeker is normal at 19 but don't fuck your life up early for the sake of having fun. Good times count for nothing later on in life. The geeks outperform the cool kids in the long run.