High school student here going into business, going to try and get an MBA...

High school student here going into business, going to try and get an MBA. Give me every bit of wisdom that you can give me

Don't party every weekend

Drop out rn get a job and save to start a biz instead. Fuking normalfag

step 1. don't get an MBA

Get a hard undergraduate. The worst prep for an MBA is whatever watered down business administration degree they have for undergrads.

If you want to go into finance get econ, stats, math, CS, accounting or finance as a degree.

If marketing focus on something humanities and media related.

If HR get a pysch, sociology or organizational psych type degree.

MBAs are really only worth it if you can crack into the top 30, maybe top 50, schools. Look internationally as well. INSEAD, etc are great.

Explain please

I wouldn't get an MBA unless if your company pays or will promote you for it.

My wisdom is the same as this anons:
Me personally as an accountingfag, a CPA is worth more than a masters tbqh.

LOL gonna try and get an MBA

Let's see you in 4 years

?

Dont listen to anything Veeky Forums tells you, especially if every single one of them give you advice that conflicts with all the other posters.

>LOL gonna try and get an MBA

Most of my highschool buddies that said they were going to get their MBA when they started Uni are either not motivated enough to get it now and/or don't make the grades.

>Falling for the MBA meme

It isn't 1998 anymore, bud; the market's oversaturated with MBAs with waaaay better quals than you'll have. Major in accounting with a marketable specialization that interests you; if you want the MBA that fucking badly, you can have a future employer fund it for you.

It's way too early for you start worrying about an MBA. Now your primary focus should be on getting good grades in uni and learning relevant things (accounting and finance basics). Then in 6yrs time (you'll need work experience first) if an MBA looks like it would help your career then go for one.

forgot engineering for your finance list

Tons of diploma mill MBAs out there now. It means nearly nothing unless it's a top 25. Even then, you have to weight the cost benefit of spending $100,000 on it.

MBA is a masters degree?
thats no big deal, even more so if you go for trivial fields like economics or business administration..

Don't listen to the haters. MBA is god-tier and one of the top paying degrees.

Only thing is DON'T PAY FOR IT. Try to get on as an grad assistant or something. I've only met like 3 fools in my entire life who are paying for their MBA.

That's the way this board works
>no degree is objectively good
When will this meme end

You could say the same things about engineering degrees. Yet there are still plenty of very successful engineers. It really depends on your actual merit for you to succeed with an MBA

What about an MSc in Management, specializing in either Analytics or Logistics/Supply Chain?

I got an MBA from a local satellite of a public university in the US.

I do the night audit at a hotel for $10/hr.

Fortunately, the GI Bill paid for the degree. However, now that I have it, I make less money from this job than I made from the GI Bill stipend I was getting while I was in school.

If you can go to a private university, an MBA is a good way to meet the right people. Otherwise, unless you're getting it for free, and getting paid to get it, don't get it.

I don't see the point in getting an MBA for hiring/resume purposes. If OP has worked in the industry/field for a number of years, an MBA isn't going to teach him anything new. A CPA would literally put him on the map as someone who actually knows what the fuck he's doing with Audits/Tax/Consulting/etc. An MBA now days is just there for companies to cockblock you from promotions and raises and get you to stay for 2 years getting it. It is worth it in some way if you aren't paying for it, but there are better choices for a masters.

You've literally missed the part to learn selling yourself.

Why not? It would make connections, right?

Don't get an MBA.

Only exception is if your employer will pay for it, and they are gonna give you a raise if you have it.

This. Planning on a degree that takes 6 or more years is overplanning, doesn't allow for the realities of life.

It's hard to get into an MBA program without work experience. You also won't really make much use of it, everyone thinks they can learn business strategy but until you've actually worked in a business it won't really make any sense

That being said, yeah come do business it's fun :)