/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

Make new threads dorks
Previous thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.02
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha release):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/category.php?id=18
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>mfw someone REAMINETED the thread

How can I tell if my adventurer has maxed his attributes? Can I get stats into the Superhuman range if they started as average?

WHI do you type like THES/

Stats are maxed when they're double the starting value, or the starting value plus one thousand, whichever is greater.

But how can I tell when it's double that? I can't find any numerical values

On a side note, I was just attacked by a giant alligator recruit. Was that a werebeast?

because funny mémés

the bar should be completely filled?

just tested this out & found it does indeed still work as described!

only lost one dwarf as she was crushed to death

>tfw no adventure mode digging or mining

Its all I want

>MFW toady finally updates mining with stolen pickaxes from elfs

>Glumprong out the ass
>elf blood rain
>nice waterfall beside a big wide as fuck canyon
>horde of zombie workers which I disposed of after they finished
>fucking waterfall doesn't unfreeze
>I should have expected this

post worlds

Too big m8

detailed map

live

death.. it is terrifying

begone fear!

it is sad, but not unexpected

death is all around us. it is horrifying

DIE

How do you deal with kobolds /dfg/

>walk into a necromancer tower

>The necromancers are trying to talk to corpses

Such if the life I guess

it was inevitable.

Gruesome wounds... Begone fear!

Are there other starter packs than the one linked in the OP that anyone would recommend?

I don't want mastershit-level autism; I don't even really want a tileset (although CLA/Myne is nice sometimes)... but I do like the GUI interface to the init file and being able to swap out color schemes from a menu when I get bored. DFHack being preconfigured is nice too.

I'm sick of the popular starter pack because the guy who maintains it is (1) lazy when new versions come out, (2) a giant turbofaggot with the dumbest online alias I've ever seen. I can't even bring myself to type it out.

So who's got a bundle/pack with DFHack, a config UI and not much else?

Here search this

dffd.bay12games.com/category.php?id=18

Hello, Other General!

I come from /ink/ as their ambassador. Maybe you saw the spam, we are sorry and were hoping to do things more civilized now. We like to draw pictures of NSFW animals fucking eachother with tenticles. I believe this should be allowed on Veeky Forums.

If you want to come voice your opinion, or just to r8 our art m8, visit us at We hope to hear from you! !!

wat?

Ignore him, he's spamming tons of fucking threads and keeps ban evading. Don't give him attention

Elfs are for ____

can you retire at camps you make?

Adventure mode is like being kicked in the balls by a steel toed boot

>Spend time generating a character
>Carefully pick out attributes and personality traits
>Grind for hours
>Get killed in the first fight by a night creature

FUCK NIGHT CREATURES THEY SHOULDN'T BE GODS OF DEATH

Git good and either savescum or turn of memeymen

Posted dogs.

Seasonal blood sports.

My L e g e n d a r y adventurer is being killed by night trolls and dusk women. I think they caught the OP virus after the zombies were cured.

Wearing armor? Using a shield? Do they have hooves and/or horns? In what situations are they killing you?

Probably wrestling.

They don't feel pain, got a shit ton of blood, and have high natural skills/attributes, they really are nasty fuckers.

So, Toady fixed the whole "kidnapped kids flip out and attack you" thing right?

So I grab some kids, take them to their family... turns out he only fixed part of the flipping out shit.

>Implying armor would help
>Implying I don't spawn with a shield+Weapon

I'm about to strap 6 shields to my adventurer and walk around as the human wall, shield bashing everything into submission.

Are you just using the numpad to autofight lad?

If you're a dorf fortress pro you can kill a demon with a steel sword while naked and only proficient in skills. It's all about the timing and placing of attacks and dodges.

The game comes down to the roll of the dice, lad. You CAN cheese the demons by stacking an attack+dodge in one move, but I still think they can get around it if you make a mistake.

Yeah but be sure and claim them before-hand by shouting at the heavens

I decided to take the last kid and have someone unrelated adopt them.

I mean, the agreement to rescue them is marked as complete, the kids left my party, aren't @ symbols anymore... but I didn't think it would go all game of thrones like this when I agreed to rescue them.

>"Child, is it really you?"
>*bitch starts shanking her kid*
>'Uh... is there context I'm missing here? Should I not feel bad about the kids I wasn't able to find back at that dark fortress?'

>comes down to the roll of the dice
>they can get around it if you make a mistake
You're not even maintaining a consistent argument within your own post, user.

still no update?

where's calendar nigger

By "make a mistake" I mean if your dwarf decides to make a bad play and miss, gets grabbed, knocked over, blah blah blah

Do you think Tarn and Zach blow each other when they've finished not working for the day?

We're on 43.02 fool, 43.01 lasted a couple of days.

anyone have dwarf fort clock guy saved? I lost my original clock pics from my old laptop

43?

what when?

I'ma play Adventure mode for the first time, boys, any tips? I don't even know the basics

Should I play it on my 5 year old world or there are not many civs in it?

>I don't even know the basics
Read the wiki. I haven't played adventure mode either, but from my experience with Roguelikes, you really should read up before starting.

Can I star an adv mode save without quitting my fort? The only option is to continue playing it

Yeah you can retire it

Unless you're playing 34.11 or something

gruesome wounds... begone fear!

So how do you craft beds and stuff in adventure mode?I have a house but nothing in it.

if I retire it, won't the save be deleted?

make a carpentry workshop, drop logs in its center, stand in it, press x, select carpentry, select what you want to make

I don't know what you mean

I don't think so in any case

Retiring is the same as abandoning, except in adventure mode, it will be inhabited rather than abandoned. You cannot reagin control of a retired fortress

MEDIC!

v43 therapist when

No, the fort keeps doing fort stuff when you retire, if you abandon then it goes all to shit, but retire just has the issues with merchants showing back up, but your dorfs will stay there. I've ran forts that I retired to play for a few months in adventurer mode then switched back for a couple years in fort mode and repeated this several times just fine.

Anyone ever embark in an area around your former adventure made camps/house what would happen to all the companions that followed you?

This kinky motherfucker is part of my original seven.
My goal with this fortress was to make a huge temple dedicated to a lust god. My civ's king worships him.
I think I found my expedition leader.

>male homosexual
>often feels lustful
>respects power
>chains, leather

Why the fuck won't it let me build stairs/ramps in adventure mode

Did you make a site? Are you updated to 43.02?

So I set my pop cap to 35
in the raws, then sat at 35 dwarves for 8 years.
>[POPULATION_CAP:35]
>[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:35]

Now I want to get migrants again, so I closed out of DF, re-openned the raws, and set the pop cap to 300....
>[POPULATION_CAP:300]
>[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:300]

It's been a few seasons since I made the change and reloaded DF, but still no migrants, not even messages about "Hmm weird no migrants..."

Any ideas?

Yeah, I have I site and have already built walls and beds and stuff. I even have a second floor, but no way to get up there.

No idea what you're doing wrong, but did you remember to build different sections of the stair during different phases of construction? I guess the general rule that 'higher z-level = later phase' applies.

I'm not sure how the adv mode construction mechanics work yet, but I have no problems building.

>3.33.04 AM
Go to bed. That solves everything.

I have no idea how to control the construction phases actually but when I find parts aren't being finished it is because they're listed as something like phase 9 or some shit so I just go back over them with fresh phase 1 designations and it works.

Top to bottom works just as well as bottom to top, only the support matters. I built this: hanging right off the side of the cliff there and it goes down two levels below that shot and up one to the roof above me.

Ayy but it's a friday night....

>decide not to embark with a metalworker this time because I want to focus on other industries
>dig down to start my fortress
>You have struck Magnetite!
>You have struck Lignite!
>You have struck Magnetite!

No, more a bug

That's probably a named histfig animal that got a 'recruit' tag as if you encountered a bandit

I had it before too when hunting

Question about equipping military dorfs: Does each dorf need 2 boots/2 gloves or does making one boot/glove count as 2?

When it inevitably gets added, Minecraft will be made fully superfluous.

There didn't use to be any need to compare the two games, but now that DF is getting all these ebin features, it's steadily taking over MC's niche.

How come those people are only displaying their first names?

When toady added the adjectives/epithets, he also made adventure mode companions only get referred to with their first name. I think it's supposed to make them more personal, and improve the story telling aspects of the game.

Thank you! I didn't check the tile entry. I did look on "size", where couldn't find the information either. I must have missed the "see also".

They need two.

They need two, but production orders make a pair each time.

What software do you use to make these images?

Is it the same user who posts this comment everytime someone posts Armok Vision screenshots?

Even when 'Armok Vision' is clearly readable in the top of the screenshot.

Sorry. No I'm not that guy, I'm just a newfag with no observation skills.

I see.

Anyway, it's a third party visualiser called Armok Vision. Unless I've missed a DFHack release, it shouldn't be compatible with the recent 0.43 release of DF yet.

>night trolls

>Finally managed to escape the randomly generated labyrinths in adventure mode
>Can start building a house and get one shot by a night creature

Progress.

>figure that this update finally added a function for the furniture shops in the adv mode cities
>go to the capital about one day's travel away, in search of furniture for my countryside manor
>find a really nice golden throne, which I bought in exchange for a masterwork bronze sword and a helmet
>haul it all the way back
>finally make it to my manor, enter the build screen
>press 'm' for 'material'
>turns out only different kinds of wood is selectable
I'm just going to drop that throne into my meeting hall and pretend that it's constructed furniture.

>Build bed form workshop in adv
>Place it inside house
>Build it from the menu
>It's gone
>Do it again accept don't place it
>Says I don't have a bed
someone help this retard

The hell is this?

Apparently artificial cave-in guide for dummies.

Did you go into the house and check whether the bed was there or not, or did you just check the "memory map"? The latter will only show things as they were the last time you saw them, and won't show new furniture until you go in there and see it.

You can build with zombies? That's really cool.

What are dump stats for adventurer creation?

There are no bugs, only features.

As of 0.42, I don't think there are any anymore, unless you're indifferent towards music and writing.

I always spend most points on strenght, agility and kinesthetic sense.