The queue on the opening day of the first McDonald's restaurant in Moscow, 1990

>The queue on the opening day of the first McDonald's restaurant in Moscow, 1990.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jWTGsUyv8IE
youdubber.com/index.php?video=jWTGsUyv8IE&video_start=0&audio=0yDrtNEr_5M&audio_start=0
youtube.com/watch?v=yyzDKAx8seU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Burgered.

Soft power sure is something isn't it?

Holy fuck, I just lost a lot of respect for Russians.
Then again, they were probably starving from being under gommunism for so long.

I'm an Eastern Euro (though not a Russian) and I remember when communism fell, everyone was crazy about EVERYTHING American it was insane. McDonalds, Levi's, American bubblegums, Marlboros, American was the synonym of cool. I mean it's understandable, considering American culture was considered literally Satan by communist governments and forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

>Holy fuck, I just lost a lot of respect for Russians.
You probably didn't really know a lot about Russians in the first place.

They didn't view America as insidious and hostile, their everyday lives were affected more by their own regimes and America was more the exotic and fun "Other". If anything they probably felt uncucked stuffing Ameriburgers into their mouths.

You know what was even more pathetic? Gorbachev literally being in a Pizza Hut commercial, and before that, admitting that his visit to a Texas Walmart and seeing the large selection deeply affected him to speed up market reforms and essentially destroy the Soviet Union.

He did the peetsa hut commercial for free, he charged pizza hut $1million to some educational institution

>all that potential disappointment

>Boris Yeltsin and a handful of Soviet companions made an unscheduled 20-minute visit to a Randall's Supermarket after touring the Johnson Space Center in Houston. Between trying free samples of cheese and produce and staring at the frozen food selections, Yeltsin roamed the aisles of Randall's nodding his head in amazement

>Yeltsin became more convinced than ever that Russia had been ruinously damaged by its centralized, state-run economic system, where people stood in long lines to buy the most basic needs of life and more often than not found the shelves bare. He was overwhelmed by what he saw at a Houston supermarket, by the kaleidoscopic variety of meats and vegetables available to ordinary Americans.

>one of his companions, Leon Aran, wrote in his biography “For a long time, on the plane to Miami, he sat motionless, his head in his hands. ‘What have they done to our poor people?’ he said after a long silence.” He added, “On his return to Moscow, Yeltsin would confess the pain he had felt after the Houston excursion: the ‘pain for all of us, for our country so rich, so talented and so exhausted by incessant experiments."

just imagine having your entire worldview shattered by a trip to a grocery store

>The queue on the opening day of the first glorious proletarian bread distribution store in Russia, 1917.

What now, cappies?

I don't think Boris was that into communism to begin with.

Fuck, I live right there in the NASA area. I wonder if it's the same Randalls...

If it is you should request that a historical marker be placed there. It's a piece of history worth commemorating.

Khrushchev visits an Iowa corn farm in 1959 and marvels at its productivity.

He would go on to try to plant corn across the entire USSR, rather than just the southern part of the country like his host had told him. The crop then failed in most of the places it was planted due to frost, discrediting both the crop and Khrushchev himself.

>just imagine having your entire worldview shattered by a trip to a grocery store

Imagine having your worldview shattered by 2 bottles of vodka per day.

> so exhausted by incessant experiments
This is literally the point of private ownership of capital, markets, and competition.

The only difference if they're done on a small scale and investors/capital owners have the ultimate responsibility of success or failure and multiple experiments are run in parallel.

>posting a Sovie queue

When they queue for the first McDonalds, they had 20 years of McDonalds ahead of them.

When they queue for the first bread distribution store, they had 50 years of queues ahead of them.

>ahh yes, the golden years of russian early capitalism

Here's a "glorious" grocery store in Moscow for comparison:
youtube.com/watch?v=jWTGsUyv8IE

Bonus video:
youdubber.com/index.php?video=jWTGsUyv8IE&video_start=0&audio=0yDrtNEr_5M&audio_start=0

Holy shit I remember time when the first grocery store was opened in my area, it was fucking insane, people came to it just to see it. And it was in late 1990-s early 2000-s.

FUCK YEAH

A song to commemorate the occasion:
youtube.com/watch?v=yyzDKAx8seU

god that's pathetic.

Imagine where russia would be now if the whites had won

Thanks for the cool story Slav, any cool-rr I mean American stories for us?

I raped American girl once.

stay classy, slav

Once? Showoff.

Very well put

Do they do the Breakfast menu?

just a burg...or is it??????

oooooh...

BORRA ESTO

Where do you live?

Ceausescu visited an American grocery store in 1969 but thought it was a propaganda attempt and that the store had been stocked just for him.