So how did you get into history, Veeky Forums?

So how did you get into history, Veeky Forums?
Where/when did you start?

>School teaches what felt like a weird and biased version of NI Troubles
>Start reading about it myself
>Read a few books and figure out which papers were and weren't biased too much
>Learn about The Troubles
>Learn about Ulster's history
>Then research Ireland's history
>Then Britain
>Then Europe

By no means well versed, but like to imagine I have an approximate knowledge of a lot of things. Don't intend to actually take a degree or anything, nor do I think I'll ever be considered an expert, but I do just fucking love reading interesting shit about history.

Total War games

As a small kid I loved pictured encyclopedias, they were so bloody cool, I admit I loved them originally for pictures but by age 10 I had read 4-5 encyclopedias full and full.

Amazingly I still remember so much from those first books I read and it set a big hunger for knowledge in me.

When I was a small child I thought dinosaurs were cool and I thought dinosaurs were history. Turns out they aren't but I still fucking loved it, it helped that my school history teacher was awesome, he was one of those guys who manage to have a perfect balance between informative and interesting with a lot of flavor trivia. Plus I've always thought learning about the past and how we all ended up in this situation is pretty damn important.

To be fair my interested peaked a lot after trying CSK2.

I used to spend 2 hours on Napoléon's wikipedia page everyday when I was 14 years old, masturbating about how great he was
I'm french btw

picked up a stick and pretended it was a sword.clan memories

>used to believe all the memes we were taught in school
>sometime after graduating I heard some things that contradicted them, so looked them up
>started realising most of what I had learned was nothing but pop myths
>started seriously reading up on history to unlearn all the bullshit and find out what it was really about
>realised I really like history

>Watch stuff like G.I. Joe
>"War and explosions are cool man"
>Go on the internet and look stuff up about war
>Become fascinated by WW2
>Read about countries histories before the war
>Find out about Ancient Rome
>Find out that Rome is the source of Civilization and the bedrock of European history
>Learn more about it

This. I started playing Rome back in like '06 and I began reading some introductory stuff on the time period. Now I'm doing my PhD in Classics.

I was fascinated by castles and weapons and armor as a little kid.
That translated to me falling in love with rts games, and ending up reading the whole encyclopedias of AOE/AOM and M2:TW.
Then I started reading every single page and box of the school textbook.
Then I started reading kiddies history books like the horrible history series.
Then wikipedia happened, and the endless chain of page links began.

Based horrible histories were what properly got me into it. The USA one was def the most based

I always kind of wondered how events in history led to other events. I also appreciated some of the more mundane things about history that most people ignored or didn't seem to care about. I double majored with political science because I was also interested in how political decisions unfold into historical events.

this

Dad randomly bought me Medieval II without even knowing anything about the game (It was the time when we decided on games mostly from the text and pictures on cd cover)
RPing the lives of the characters there, i realized characters like that actually lived and i started getting interested in it.

My very first thought, although it was Paradox games that really got me interested in history the past couple years. Plus PS2 era Call of Duty got me very interested in WW2 back when i was young

I got into through CK II actually. I love strategy games a lot and I played a lot of CK II which lead me to looking up all the playable characters and learning about them and their nations.

CK II led me to EU IV which made me more interested in the politics and diplomacy of the time rather than the rulers(although I still know a lot about the rulers)

Then i got into HoI IV and learned more about WWII.

Vicky II wasn't necessary for me in a history sense since I already knew a decent amount about colonialization from eu4 and school

Medal of Honor. Don't know which one, had that mission where you're trying to masquerade as Germans in a German truck, get discovered, eventually have to go solo because your AI friends are scripted to be retarded. This mission was in north Africa.

After that, Stronghold Crusader got me into the middle ages.

Video games got me interested in a lot of stuff I would otherwise be ignorant to.

I took interest in WW2 because of Medal of Honor.
Since then I went back and back and back in time.
Nowadays I got a hard on for ancient roman.

Are you literally me?

My old man was in the soviet military, refused to talk about it. Grew up in the balkans in late 90s and eventually when we got internet I went from reading biased library books to broader views.

this
i still remember a huge amount of stuff i had read when i was like 5

That MoH is Allied Assault. the mission you're talking about is the first one

When did you realise he was a tyrannical coward who stood against French values [If Frogs even have values]

I'm a socially inept autist who latched onto studying history because I find it really interesting and have an /r9k/-esque inability to reach out to other people.

When I was a child when I thought about 9/11, I pictured 2 P40's flying into the WTC. I guess this sort of ties in with the thread right?

this

also, age of empires

Through both the Total War games and through mum always talking about The Troubles.

Both of those, literally me.
Wololo.

Dad talking about the troubles
total war, age of empires, horrible histories, encyclopaedias, books on egypt all from a young age
started collecting armour as a teenager, currently have a full knight's templar set

At age 10, I thought Civ 4 was really cool game. (At age 21, I still do.) One time, I got bored and started reading the Civlopedia entries for the leaders and civs, and I found it all fascinating.

granddad was a history teacher
shelfs full of books with letters i cant read as a toddler, and some with lotsa pictures

>being 4 and have these books stacked next to me just looking at the pictures
>building bf 109s sopwith camels and alike from lego

Dan Carlin put me in perspective on so many events and this helped me know where to start. The school history books in our country were more or less skewed propaganda material around my time. Now I usually read books about multiple periods, but mainly about Europe in the industrial revolution.

Almost literally me

Cool man. If you don't mind me asking, what are the employment perspectives for history graduates? With or without further postgraduate studies. I was thinking about majoring in history but unfortunately I was dissuaded by career outcomes and decided something else.

Working in IT, never got interested in history. Came here one day and I guess I'm still hanging here.

How could that image only be 5 KB?

AoE, AoM, civ 4, apocalypse now (got me more interested in /k/ stuff but also the Vietnam war in general) and the local library

>be 6
>start reading Asterix
>damn these romans seem cool
>start watching documentaries about rome
>start buying books about rome
While learning about rome i got increasingly fascinated about other cultures and that got me into history
Thanks Asterix I guess

Time travel, pic related especially when I was a kid.
I'm more into uchronia now.

>Start drawing a [spoiler] not very good [/spoiler] webcomic inspired by European folklore because I like Fantasy Monsters
>Begin writing stories about fairies but realise I don't know shit about celtic history to build the world around besides them getting BTFO'd by Romans
>Start researching celtic cultures
>SHIT, THERE'S QUITE A LOT TO IT
>To understand Celtic hisory you need to understand Roman history
>To understand Roman history you need to understand a bit of Greek history
>Then Egyptian...
>Mostly just get weapon/armor boners when learning this stuff

My good friend loves history and i used to listen to him talking about all sorts of things all day long, so i said "hell I wanna see what's so awesome about this" and o man was i lost... I didn't know shit about anything, but the more i knew the better it got and now im hooked!