BBA

Good evening, guys.

I am considering getting a 4-year BBA from a fairly prestigious university. What are the possible downsides? Is the BBA a profitable degree? Will I get a lot of returns on that? What would you advice on this degree? And if you would not recommend it, then what should I consider instead?

Thank you.

>picrandom

In what?

probably in business administration.

Bump, also interested, hopefully someone with a BBA shows up

that's a meme degree

Not a sufficient answer. Can you tell more about the "meme" aspect you mentioned?

It's worth shit and already oversaturated, 1/5 college graduates nowadays have a business degree. You could learn more just doing the job and opening a business or joining a company and working from the bottom and getting somewhere decent after 4 years. Has no great teaching of math, which is what really matters in the F.A.M.E. fields of jobs. A waste of money you could spend on opening a business yourself, unless you are getting a free ride.

I am also considering engineering. I do think that from engineering I can really learn something in college. I, probably, have to agree with you on over-saturation.

If you're going to pick a business related major, accounting, finance, operations management, strategy and, to some degree, economics seem to be the most sought after majors where I live. I'd also argue they are at least as good, if not better, in developing your critical thinking skills as a more generalist degree.

I'd never go for a broad "business administration" degree.

Oh, okay. Thanks for such a specific answer.

Bump.

Bump!

What's your goal. To make a lot of money?

That is one of the goals.

IB recruits engineers at a lot of prestiges schools. If you major in engineering at one of these schools you can go that route which has a lot of money in it. But you also keep options open and in my opinion get an education with more intrinsic value. So if your thinking about engineering instead it's a pretty good choice imo.

Can you, please, tell me more about IB and the way I can get there? I've never came across it before.

IB = investment banking. I'm no expert so do your own research. I believe they recruit(on campus) engineer majors at top schools(you can look these up). You would probably try to do an internship when your a junior then become a junior analyst at that same firm when you graduate. Starting pay is usually 100k+ with bonus, however hours are very long 70+. What make this an attractive choice is the career has an extremely high salary potential, maybe the highest of any career. Exit options to PE or Hedge funds. This is second hand knowledge so research yourself. Wall Street oasis has a forum that might be useful.

Okay, that sounds good. But what about if I, firstly, get an MS in Engineering Management? Will MBA after that still be reliable to obtain? Or there will be no need? Because, basically, I will be able to hold managerial positions anyways.

In today's world, learn a skill first, then learn the business aspect.

Whether it be bio, engineering, econ, anything.

BBA + MBA will still get you jobs, but it's redundant in terms of actually learning anything new.

Also, you don't have to have an mba to excel in business or get to C level positions... but you do need to know/understand 100% of the technology/product you are selling.

Okay, thank you, sir.

I don't think an engineering management degree would help much for IB.

But will MBA help?

Afaik its something you would do to change field into IB or to move up if company wants it. I wouldn't do it right out of undergrad.

It's probably better to just go right in as a junior analyst out of undergrad.

Yeah, but if I'm going to get an engineering degree from undergrad, I wouldn't be able to become a junior analyst, would I?

Yes you would be able to. If you are at a prestigious school, particularly one that banks recruit at on campus you can go straight from undergrad engineering to junior analyst. It's important you get that internship like I said though otherwise it's harder. If your school really isn't that prestigious then a mba at a top school would be a good idea.

Alright, thank you.

I too was deciding between mechanical engineering and business management. Now I have my BBA I'm in my 2nd year of my Master's in Supply Chain Management

I graduated with a BBA from a state uni in 2013 and got a job making 62k. Currently making 85k.

Phoenix, AZ btw

Nice. So, you don't regret getting it at all? Or if you would like to go back and get instead other degree, what would it be?

I became a software developer (my BBA's concentration was Management Information Systems) so I do regret not getting a Comp Sci degree at times because I do a lot of reading/studying outside of work to help catch up. However, I definitely feel way ahead of my college hire developer co-workers in terms of understanding the business side of requirements gathering etc due to my formal education in business.

Many of my colleagues from uni did get good paying business jobs (rather than pursuing a purely technical career), and there were a lot of opportunities for those types of jobs. In the Phoenix area, it was pretty common for business jobs for undergraduates to be offered 45-55k starting. Possibly a few thousand more in bonuses and stock options as well.

If I went back, I haven't decided, but it would either be a Master's in Comp Sci/MIS, or an MBA.

The only thing that always concerned me about getting a BBA was a huge competition. I once pulled up a random vacant position and the line below showed that there were 200 applicants for one position. It threw me into shock. I think it is better to have a competition of 2 STEM dudes per place than 200 Business Graduates.

If you really want to do business, do paid internships while in school, and cast a large net when job hunting.

When I was looking for an internship my junior year (I should have been looking every summer) and job hunting senior year, I spending probably a few hours every week applying/interviewing.

You'll be ok with business, if you really want to do it, it's lucrative.

>If you really want to do business, do paid internships while in school
How do I find them? Is there any good website, etc?

The career services at your uni is the best resource for internships and jobs.

I did bba for 2 years then switched to finance

Bba is ok if you can be a people person

Bump

Bump

Fuck my ass please

No.

Following up on this guy Op

OP. Back in the day IB (and alot of the older guys like MD's and what not) are law graduates from top schools or business/law combinations.

Now that banking and finance is moving towards a much more quantitative world, IB's hire engineers because of a large variety of reasons. 1. Challenging degree. 2. Quantitative ability. 3.Understand specific industries/technologies which can be useful. 4.You can teach a math/engineer/stat/physics person finance but you can't teach a law fag quant shit.

How do you get in to IB.

1. They are pretty hellbent on prestige, IB is the industry where school probably matters the most.
2. They do hire non-top tier school students, just, not as common. These non top school kids basically have to have a GPA that even makes them go "WOW" and great interpersonal skills.
3. Extra curricular. IB likes people who are passionate/not lazy fags. You need a hobby that you can say "I am great at X, I am really passionate about Y". People that are constantly improving themselves, motivated people.
4. Experience. IB don't hire if you have never had experience in a professional setting. It doesn't have to be restricted to finance at all, it's just that they want to hear a great reference from somewerhe you have worked in the past that is professional. Mid tier accounting firms I would recommend as probably the easiest way to get some experience in and make them give you a good recommendation. Experience in Law, Accounting, Engineering, Government Agencies, Finance etc are all good starts.
5. This may sound superficial, but, alot of IB people good at sports and actively go to the gym.

I post here alot when people ask about IB because I have family in IB and they tell me this stuff.

I would not recommend IB at all unless you are the type of person to work 80+ hours and not be to phased by it. I've had family work 7 days a week on 4 day weekend weeks and work for 36 hours straight. It's insane.

>I would not recommend IB at all unless you are the type of person to work 80+ hours and not be to phased by it. I've had family work 7 days a week on 4 day weekend weeks and work for 36 hours straight. It's insane.
No, I think that's too much for me. I like to work, but this is just insanity and beyond the reason.
Anyways, thanks for such a deep insight into IB now that I became at least familiar with all the stuff it presents.

I think you made the right choice. Alot of average and good students think they can make in and in to the world of IB, yet, they have no understanding of how difficult it is. Hence why GPA is important in IB recruiting as it gives an insight in to if the student can crunch for hours. If you aren't "WOW!" tier, you aren't IB tier.

If you are interested in finance there are plenty of 9-5 opportunities. With good pay per hour and opportunity to work your way up the corporate ladder. Just get good grades and get as much experience as possible in related industries and you won't have an issue. Also, don't be a retard. I have a friend who is a finance major but he is total anime meme tier, piercings all over his face, massive ear lobe holes and no idea of dressing/acting professional. Just doing finance expecting to get in to IB but has no idea about the industry or dealing with clients and constantly complains about working at KFC and how he hates customers.

As long as you have the etiquette you will be fine.

Accounting and Finance major here.

You can get a decent job no problem, provided you can sit through years of bullshitting and smoking your way out of university.

Don't fall for the marketing major meme unless you have a good looking face.

IB do value grade. But a BBA grade is not equivalent to an engineering grade. 60% of your BBA grade will come from project and looking hot in class presentation.

Peeps with high grade, those same peeps valued by IB, are those who can talk their way through a client's defense.

Never ever fall under the impression that IB, or anything finance, want thinkers just because they value grade. Any mid-tier math major will clear finance exams with ease, then fall miserably in the presentation.

Think of IB as sellers first and foremost. They are people who want to sell contracts, whether it be an IPO, or a bond issuance, or a merger, etc.

It just so happens that by persuading clients to do those things, they can also sell their own services (oh, we can find a target for you for a fee, we can give you a loan to buy this target, etc)

Read "Barbarian at the gate". It should gives you a better picture.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate.

Bump

Bump

Bump

One thing to consider is that investment banking is not the only role hired by the big banks. Being a trader on the floor (fuck that desu) or working in the research division (basically analysing the shit out of companies that list and make recommendations on investing in them) pay well too.

There's always accounting and the big four too.

What about an MFin? My uni is number one in Finance in my country, though its small it's still first world

Like this guy said + any kind of quantitative degree can land you in a position where you need maths/stats/data analysis. Risk assessment is the first thing that comes to mind.

Bump

>Supply Chain

MSU by chance? Going in as a business-preference freshman and Supply Chain sounded interesting. Pros/cons?

Bump

Bump