2016 Veeky Forums Summer Cup

>What the hell is this?

Basically think of it as a fake World Cup for different Veeky Forums boards. Each board makes a team, the teams play each other in Pro Evolution Soccer, and the best teams move forward into the knockouts until one board rises above the rest.

Boards create a 23-man roster based on board culture and memes, and molds their team to look and play like their board - Veeky Forums has a roster mostly consisting of cryto/finance captained by Martin Shkreli, based off of a poll we did on the board before the Spring cup.

There are basically two "tiers" of teams - in Winter/Summer, the top 32 teams play in the Elite cups, while Spring and Autumn play host to the Babbies, where teams hope to advance to the Elite level.

>How does Veeky Forums play into this?

To put it nicely, we haven't really been all that good. Veeky Forums played in 3 Babby Cups without really doing anything, and actually had to play in a qualifier to even get to play in the last Babby Cup.

After a few draws and some decent wins against teams like /gif/ and Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums has the chance to play in an Elite Cup for the first time ever. It's not going to be easy, though - we'll have to play a few powerhouse teams, including /m/, the team that won the Babby Cup (and stomped on us) a few months ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky
implyingrigged.info/wiki/2016_Veeky
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15LDjFdkMyx9OJuxYqo6QwvSOz0ZCPnmAys7rTc4TIa0/edit
implyingrigged.info
youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc
youtu.be/x80uBTs8pCM?t=8m14s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>When is this?

The cup takes three weekends, with the "Group Stages" taking place this Friday/Saturday/Sunday and next Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Each team plays 3 matches in their groups, with Veeky Forums scheduled to play these matches:

August 6th (Saturday), 19:30 UTC (3:30 PM EDT): vs. /tv/
August 12th (Friday), 19:30 UTC (3:30 PM EDT): vs. /m/
August 14th (Sunday, 19:30 UTC (3:30 PM EDT): vs. [s4s]

These times are probably going to change, since we'll be the 6th match each day - expect the match to start anywhere between 3:30 and 4:30 EDT each day.

The top two teams from that group will play in the knockouts on August 20th/21st. Hopefully we'll get to that point, and see where things go from there.

>Is this as dumb as it looks?

Yup. It's corny as all hell and some people take it way too seriously. /sp/ treats it like a religion, some boards take it way too seriously, and there are some teams that have small armies of managers and testers that try to make their teams SLIGHTLY better than others.

The way I see it, it's a fun little event that might introduce some casual viewers/fans to Veeky Forums as a board - if it gets a few people to browse and post or get involved, it's a cool bonus. It's a little silly to take "people pretending to play soccer on a video game" seriously, but it's also cool to get people interested and involved on Veeky Forums and learn a little bit about other boards.

The links below should have everything you need to know about the Veeky Forums team and the actual cup schedule. I'll be here to answer any questions obviously, and to try to keep things a little hyped for the match this weekend.

implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky Forums
implyingrigged.info/wiki/2016_Veeky Forums_Summer_Cup

I've never understood how these cups work.
Both teams are computer-controlled, aren't they? So isn't it just RNG?

You could make a team that was stupid and didn't make sense, and you'd get your ass kicked. But if you made a really really good team, you up your chances to - maybe like 60-65% chance of winning?

Like I said, the concept of "Let's get 15 people playing fake sports games so we have a slightly better chance of winning" doesn't make a ton of sense to me. But something got put together that was decently made - if it doesn't win, it'll at least be a lot of fun to watch.

Okay, but how does it work?
How are teams made or put together?
To what extent does it make sense to say that a team is "good" rather than "lucky?"

If your team wins, they're good. If the other team wins, they're lucky :)

Teams are made/put together (hopefully) based on the board's input, and not just some guy telling everyone who he thinks should be on the team. Veeky Forums had a roster poll a few months ago and got about 50 results:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15LDjFdkMyx9OJuxYqo6QwvSOz0ZCPnmAys7rTc4TIa0/edit

Obviously it's all open to peoples' input, so feel free to make any suggestions - we'll play /tv/ on Saturday and then two games next week.

fuk yeah i love the cup!

What I meant was
>You could make a team that was stupid and didn't make sense, and you'd get your ass kicked. But if you made a really really good team, you up your chances to - maybe like 60-65% chance of winning?
What do you mean by this? What are you doing when you "make" a team? Is there an RPG-like stat allocation thing for creating players?

I don't expect you to win, but just do alright. Don't embarrass us, man. And have fun doing it.

It's mostly about what positions and how players play on the field. Most players are going to have the same stats, but each team gets 2 "Gold" and 2 "Silver" players - guys who are stronger/faster/better than other teams.

Veeky Forums plays a high-risk high-reward formation with a bunch of guys up front - just like it should be, honestly.

I guess that makes sense. I don't care about sportsball so I didn't know there was that kind of variety in formations.

Oh my god, is that this weekend? I'm an avid fan and support Veeky Forums, /gd/, and Veeky Forums. Knock em dead, Duke.

Veeky Forums won the last cup, so they're going to play first (in about 4 hours) if you're looking for them.

I got my Kerning ready. So hype. Can Noko-Bro be a (worst) player for losing everyone money?

So nobody actually plays?

All AI controlled.

>Boards create a 23-man roster based on board culture and memes,

Don't forget to bring your kneepads, folks.

Only the best kneepads for this semen slurping sport.

Where do I get updates and watch this?

implyingrigged.info

There should be a link to the stream at the top - I don't think I can link directly, but details on all of the teams are there.

kill yourselves

no u

are we doing this again?
woohoo

can i play, how do i do it?
ill buy the game just to play. i used to be the don at fifa back in the day

i browse /pol/ and Veeky Forums mainly but i wont get into the /pol/ team it will be full

youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

this is our Veeky Forums anthem

i wish the commentators weren't american their accents are so annoying

please get a spanish or british commentator

Match day, folks. Veeky Forums plays /tv/ in the 6th match of the day - it's listed as 3:30 PM EDT, but expect it closer to 4:30 based on yesterday's schedule.

There's a British guy that seems to like commentating Veeky Forums matches and did 3 of the 4 last year. Hopefully he's around.

It seems like I missed it, how it was?

No, no, it's actually starting in the next 2-3 minutes.

Veeky Forums for life

>Pro Evolution Soccer

Nobody give a fuck about soccer in NA.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░▄░█░░░░░░░░▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄ ░░░░█░░█▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░█ ░░░█░░░█▀░▀█░░░░█░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░█░ ░░█░░░░█░░░█░░░░█░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░█░░ ░█░░░░░██▄█▀░░▄▄█▄▄░░█▄▄▄▄░░░█░░░

JUST

Couldn't hold on to it, guys. It's a shame, but that how it goes sometimes - the game's got momentum swings, and /tv/ was in a position with their position change to take advantage of it.

Next match is going to be Friday around the same time vs. /m/. We're in an alright position, and there was a lot to like about that match, but hopefully there'll be a better result next weekend.

And nobody gives a fuck about NA at all

>captained by Martin Shkreli
kek

Can this be the goal horn?
youtu.be/x80uBTs8pCM?t=8m14s