Non-stock investments

Hey Veeky Forums, I have about 30k saved up. I'm interested in investing it in something with a low(er) risk than stocks.

I'm 18 and in college, if that helps, and I also know people involved in real estate.

Other urls found in this thread:

macrotrends.net/
fortune.com/2015/09/29/carl-icahn-fed-interest-rates-hike/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bonds

Is there any sort of 'active' investments that can be made? Something with more participation than buying a bond and waiting?

>Low risk
>Return of an active investment

No.

Lower risk, not low risk.

invest in kneepads.. they are both a commodity and an investment to propel yourself to great wealth

Right now, gold.

I gamble on sports.. It's kind of gambling, its kind of like buying stocks, you find a good line, it's all about putting money into good buys, just like stocks. The risk is there of course but I turn a decent profit and you only need to win 52% of the time (i average 67% atm). Good bank roll management and knowing your sport could see you get some money making money. But i dont have the bank roll or desire to turn it into a serious thing, couple extra hundred in my pocket each week is good for me

Invest in bonds, then calculate their value once a week (or as active as you like), sell/buy, rinse and repeat. Then...if you get tired, just leave them alone.

there is no risk to stocks if you pay attention and are playing the long game

I recommend starting a small business.

Go buy a used van. Cheaper than a truck.
Then start hauling stuff for money, and look for other opportunities to make money.

If you find that there are a lot of estate sales in your area, go to them and look for valuable tools or vehicles, and then buy them for cheap and then resell online.

The founder of 1800 Got Junk was a college student that dropped out of medical school.

Thanks, these answers are interesting.

>I'm interested in investing
>these answers are interesting

"These answers" are gambling and working. If you were interested in gambling or working, why did you ask about investing?

Get a rental home somewhere. 30k is enough for a downpayment

How'd you get 30k at 18? poor 20 year old checking in.

I'm 20 and I have a bit more than 30k, a good portion was given by my family during birthday etc,.. And the rest was made with online business/crypto. I Don't go out very often, don't like expensive things,.. It can increase really quickly with small student job if you know how to handle your money and have the "I want money" goal in mind.

I'm looking into app development (making a game) and am thinking about putting an invention I came up with on indiegogo. What sort of online business did you run if you don't mind me asking? I really feel like it's time for me to do some real work.

Gold.

How long is your time horizon? If long, gold, if medium, rental property, if short, bonds.

OP, stop fucking around. Be safer and invest it in Vanguard index funds. They tailor the investment by your appetite for risk.

Keep the money in there for as long as you want, it's up to you. I can't propose anything else aside from starting up a business, but that takes some serious thinking about.

I'm a fan of VWAHX for a safe investment. Take a look at it.

I'd consider investing with Peter Schiff's fund. 25 grand is the minimum.

bump because I can relate to op and want to read more.

Why don't you want stocks? buying the whole US market with the Vanguard index fund is just as safe as bonds at your age and they will make more money, and you get to keep them forever

markets bout 2 hit a major slump.

everyone knows theres a bubble.

let's assume I am retarded

do you have any evidence for such a claim?

Voo is incredibly tied to the british europeon markets. and db cs etc and trending heavily downward. weighed down by bad debt and brexit non-cooperations
this is where u don't catch a falling safe

if u were watching voo during brexit u wouldn't be shilling it so hard today.

just go look at your charts.

i listened to the DB quarterly report
did you?

they have no plans on the horizon for turning a profit , besides selling off physical chains.

i can keep going into it if u want

interest rates are at all time low....
yet market and debt is at an alltime high..

gdp is nice...but unemployment is at an all time LOW.... so its not like theres an excess of jobs , you understand?
i cant sit here and tell u EVERYTHING there is to know about macro econmic trends

you need some kinda hands on practice
your what . 20 years old give or take?

all you have is optimism, no experience or facts..
macrotrends.net/

you need to look at all your macro charts and run some sims, read some wiki articles etc.

fortune.com/2015/09/29/carl-icahn-fed-interest-rates-hike/

FHIGX

>u wouldn't be shilling it so hard today.
>just go look at your charts.

I am newfag on biz, I don't have any charts and I certainly am not "shilling"

your strategy is

1/4 fear
1/4 laziness
1/4 ignorance
1/4 blind optimism
0 parts timing

its fine for you to keep your trust fund in it, but for fucks sake quit shilling that shit every where i turn on here i see u shilling that shit i know its you .

its a mediocre product.

for someone so young it is absolute bullshit.
thats how i know its a trust fund your dad set up for you.
and you come on here and shill it to make urself feel better about the fact that your not allowed to touch any of your money .
enough!

i dont know who u are. im aiming this at the dummy i keep seeing all over the forum shilling voo/index etfs for couch style investing big wealth management. it boils me to no end because i know how innefficient that is.

>Voo is incredibly tied to the british europeon markets
So a component of the S&P 500 is tied to British markets, and one sector in the British markets may be in trouble, and that taints the entire index? Kid, grow up.

>just go look at your charts
Not an argument.

>if u were watching voo during brexit
VOO bounced back to pre-Brexit levels in TWO FUCKING DAYS (Friday-Monday). Brexit was a total non-event for VOO.

>interest rates are at all time low....
>yet market and debt is at an alltime high..
So? Yes interest rates are low, but why does that signal a crash? Have you seen the YTD performance of long-term bond funds? Up over 12% so far in 2016. Low interest rates isn't hurting a fucking thing.

>gdp is nice...but unemployment is at an all time LOW.... so its not like theres an excess of jobs , you understand?
Do you? Seriously, do you? Low unemployment means a surplus of jobs. It literally means there are jobs available, and people are taking them. Jesus man.

And "gdp is nice"? GDP is the mother fucking holy grail of market performance. It LITERALLY means that companies are profiting in current conditions. Those same companies make up the .... wait for it ... STOCK MARKET.

>you need some kinda hands on practice
>your what . 20 years old give or take?
>all you have is optimism, no experience or facts
Pure ad hom. Make your case or don't, but attacking the other person just shows you have no arguments to make. (Plus, use some fucking capital letters, retard.)

>you need to look at all your macro charts and run some sims, read some wiki articles etc.
Buzz words, non sequiturs, and bullshit. Make a fucking logical argument if you have a case to contend. Stop with the triggered spasms.

>just go look at your charts
>not an argument
> doesn't know anything about the EU

>macro economic trends dont matter

lol. enough.

low unemployment means there aren't alot of options and ppl are settling / taking what they can get.

ur gonna be a moron thats fine , but stop ur shilling .

u literally debunked all my facts and data with a retarded picture and

"NO it ISN"t"

even if the market doesn't slump for 10 - 20 years

voo is a grandma investment.

enough .

the first 5 year of fees, that basically decimate your already meager yearly percentage with vangaurd alone should tell anyone with any common sense, just to go and build their own portofolio.

but i understand its different for you cuz its your trust fund and its already a large amount easy for you to just sit on it.

but the sheer insecurity of ur shill is getting to be to much to bear.

>low unemployment means there aren't alot of options and ppl are settling / taking what they can get.
No it doesn't. Just because you're an unemployable faggot doesn't mean others are equally as unskilled or unlikeable. Stop projecting your insecurities into macroeconomic trends.

>stop ur shilling
This is what /pol/ faggots say when they have no logical response. So I'll assume you're a massive retard and that you lack the intelligence to carry on a rational discussion.

>voo is a grandma investment
Then grandma's a lot richer than you, poorfag.

>the first 5 year of fees
First, stop spurging faggot. Slow down and use that tiny brain. You don't need to serial post.

Second, literally WTF? Do you have any idea how low the fees are at Vanguard?

Stop being stupid. I know that's hard, but just stop. It's embarrassing.

so mad.
so insecure.

if you think 7% yearly return on investment is good .
then more power to you.

the funny thing is OP doens' teven want to be invested in stocks.

i just see you goign around shilling ur voo everywhere like its a meme coin so u can feel better about ur trust fund

when will it end?

>f you think 7% yearly return on investment is good .
Indexed equities earn 11% historically. If you don't even know the facts, why do you try arguing? You're so obviously outclassed here its sad.

>i just see you goign around shilling ur voo everywhere
Show me a SINGLE post where I recommended VOO. Moron.

>when will it end?
When stupid poorfags like you go back to /pol/.

op specifically said no stocks.

you would think that would be the end of the discussion with you, but your belligerent , your insecure delusion has blinded you to the topic of conversation.

btw op .
keep saving .
buy land .

Again with the serial posts. Do you have the attention span of a gnat? Compose your thoughts and write a single fucking post. Retard.

>op specifically said no stocks
Then why the fuck are you talking about VOO and the markets, moron? You're the only retard in this thread talking about the markets and stocks when OP specifically said no stocks. I refer you to and . Fucking idiot.

>p7aa7rWs) 08/06/16(Sat)15:39:56 No.1428407▶
>
>Why don't you want stocks? buying the whole US market with the Vanguard index fund is just as safe as bonds at your age and they will make more money, and you get to keep them forever
god the sheer denial

all anyone has to do is scroll up and see you are the one who introduced the idea of stocks in a thread where op specifically asked for no stocks.

btw , since ur ID has changed from the other person i was talkign 2 mysteriously im just gonna assume this is still you , trying to do damage control. otherwise why are in involved in a conversation that had nothing to do with you , and where did the other person go?

so u just get online and troll ?

grow up

oops meant to link this.

Why are you quoting your own posts when I asked you to show me posts where I recommended VOO?

My ID changed? I posted earlier in this thread
idiot ().

And more serial posts. Just, fucking, just....

Are you retarded? Honest question. Are you literally mentally deficient? If so, I'll back off.

um.. if u aren't even the person i initiated conversation with...why are u talking to me as if you are?

u just but in to a conversation i was having as belligerent as can be , and the other person mysteriously disappeared ?

hell u must think its my first day on 4 chan.

>.why are u talking to me as if you are?
What the FUCK are you talking about? Do you speak English? I responded to your stupid rant () because I can't stand it when faggots like you try to sow baseless fear about the markets. Your post was so full of bullshit, that my response practically wrote itself. And your inability to respond just proves my point and closes the case.

Now you've devolved into some splurging faggot talking about god knows what. Just fuck off and kill yourself already.

lol.
ur insecure about your voo.
we all get it.
dont worry , the market trends upwards over long enough time. but
its a grandma investment
and

THIS
IS
A
THREAD
ABOUT
NON
STOCK INVESTMENTS

so .. yea maybe you should genuinely consider suicide to alliviate whatever your problem is that you cant follow directions.

btw. i know ur same fagging.
you come into everythread with ur index / voo is the second coming of christ speil and teh same belligerent talking points for anyone who might want more than a 5% annual roi.

let it go already.
this isn't even a stock thread.

Everyone please pay attention. This is the kind of person who argues against index funds.

but im not against them.

for someone like u , i actually recommend them .

this is a NO STOCK THREAD

if that has been said 3 times then u are a retard. go count.

I'm not talking about stocks. I'm talking about you, personally. You're too dimwitted to know when you're being insulted, so, to be clear, I'm mocking you.

are you done?

Buy a pound of coke and a gun, and start hanging out at bars in bars in your nearest college town

I suggest not feeding the troll, it is pointless.

I'll keep this up until my show is finished, then I'm heading out. I have a social life.

From a broader perspective, though, I'll never be done. Faggots like you need to be called to task wherever and whenever possible. You'll get no free passes here. Head back to /pol/ if you want a safespace and an echo chamber.

> investing in an index fund right before a market correction.

what made you leave tumblr, no one to argue with?

>watches tv, has a "show"
>thinks having "friends" and hanging out at the mall makes you "cool"

gosh u make this so easy.

>thinks your the only person online who knows how to interact with society.

>uses the word "safespace"

not for nothing, but all arguments and jokes aside, focus on become more mature.

>I know people involved in real estate
Good on ya, user. I know plenty people who have bought a property and thus are involved in real estate.

I am a big fan of mutual funds. There are some good ones out there but you have to realized they will lose some years, but over all over like a 5 year period the good ones beat the market.