/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Crawl 0.18 Tournament is ongoing until May 22: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/overview.html
>/rlg/ teams:
WE WUZ PHARAOHS N SHIIIEEET: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/heterosexualmale.html (MuMo, OPEN)
Algerian Curse Removal Ltd.: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/nikheizen.html (Regular, FULL)

Consider making another clan! Anyone can be captain.

Crawl 0.18 release: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/crawl-0-18-pakellass-packrats

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p0Iy71Qwe6E
github.com/poschengband/poschengband/search?utf8=✓&q=num_fire
github.com/poschengband/poschengband/search?utf8=✓&q=bow_energy
github.com/poschengband/poschengband/blob/master/lib/xtra/graf/8x8.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If anything, humans being unfun is even more damning than humans being weak.

You're shit and don't know how to read. No one said human is bad you retard

Good and bad is relative anyway. Human is bad compared to high-tier races, it's good compared to shit-tier races, ergo it's mediocre.

what do i do rlg

I'm a demigod archer so I'll probably take peerless sniper for the second perk at level 40.

Demonic Grasp is fantastic but maybe not as much if you never intend to be in touching range.

Why are you not taking it now?

Isn't demonic grasp mandatory?

PCB Question

Do rogues eventually learn all their chosen realms spells?

There's less shit with tons of nasty spells currently.

I guess I could still take it now.

charge drain resistance? I guess it's real important if you want to be in melee range of things, but probably less essential for archer.

how much does big J heal off of a successful drain anyways?

anyone can eventually learn all available spells with enough grinding, since there is a rareish scroll that gives you more spell slots

I miss Lava Orcs and Djinni.

Evasion or fleet of foot would be my pick

Nope

That you are even making a fuss about humans not being a good race makes it paradoxical for you to call anyone a bad player. I'm tired of this shit already. You're either a terrible player, deluded as fuck, or baiting at this point. Just wanted to drop that by to finish that discussion.

Stay mad bad and sad, shitter. Enjoy that sub 1% win rate

Yes user, finding humans hard is the hallmark of a great player. I'm sure you're smashing tournaments.

I'm Yermak yea
Who are you? I bet you're not even top 10

Wait what the fuck? Is this Crawl? Do demigods get cool shit now?

crawl demigods are boring shitters

this is a pcb demigod

youtube.com/watch?v=p0Iy71Qwe6E

Sure.
Well, goodbye roguelike general, the illusion was good while it lasted.

Good riddance. We don't need retards like you polluting the waters and giving shit advice

why can't i find this shit on non meme characters?.

holy fug

clearly the answer is to play more meme characters.

>.18 randarts
absolutely disgusting

>playing dcss

>not memeing it up in dcss

Demigod archer sounds cool. What subrace did you pick?

so how good/bad is this new Yara's Violent Unravlling spell?

But is it more of a meme to play dcss, or to not play dcss?

You're a hipster if you don't play dcss, you're a meme if you do

I ended up taking fleet of foot. Being able to move twice as fast is very strong but it's stronger early on when the biggest threats can't just manastorm from the edge of LOS. I figure sniper is stronger later when there are scarier casters as well.

I went with the obvious choice of Artemis, because she gives bonuses to archery.

one more question: what affects shots/round in PCB? is it just dex or should I increase strength as well?

>Wait, disregard this. Am used to the triple link posts for new threads. It slipped right past me.
presumably op didn't link it visibly b/c in a hurry?

>Do rogues eventually learn all their chosen realms spells?
no, some spells in some realms are illegible to rogues

to be precise, fleet of foot (or any source of quick_walk) makes move turns take 60% of the time it normally would, so slightly slower than twice as fast

Man, Vashnia has probably given me the biggest fight in this game yet. Even then, she wasn't too hard to deal with by the time I killed most of her original allies and other nagas/salamander that got in my way.

uhh, has anybody ever found a source of speed_essentia in PCB? Looks sweet and super rare. Maybe EBlade rare. It's better than lightspeed by a lot, in that it reduces the energy shit costs, i.e. it doesn't suffer the as heavily from the diminishing returns that lightspeed's power level does.

sounds like a good mut choice for a character that will sometimes want to keep distance without the imprecision of phase door

>one more question: what affects shots/round in PCB? is it just dex or should I increase strength as well?
class has a huge effect that accrues each time you level, as does the shooter type and the energy, and obviously the xtra shots power from equipment. I don't think attributes affect the shooting speed. If you want to see exacties for yourself, check out these two links (content sometimes overlapping):
github.com/poschengband/poschengband/search?utf8=✓&q=num_fire
github.com/poschengband/poschengband/search?utf8=✓&q=bow_energy

>Quivered ring
>Training evo in lair branches when you're chock-full of wands
>Not wearing an enchanted shield
Dude
Fuck you doin

>suffer the as heavily from
fuck

I have no idea, but I somehow made it this far. I am sure I made the smart choice to take on the snake pit first.
Also, today was the first time I became wary of the Q command and it was by accident. I don't know how to undo it. What a dumb thing to do. As for the shield, I guess I'll wear it soon because it has little to no downsides. Thanks for reminding me of it.

>playing new character on crawl
>find an altar in one of the first two floors
>decide it's one I want to use and convert
>die almost immediately afterwards due to really stupid uncontrollable shit like falling in an unseen shaft and landing in a room surrounded by gnolls
>shit like this has happened no less than three characters in a row so far
Yeah, no, this is totally fine.

You can simply 'Q'uiver nothing '-'
And shields do have downsides if you don't have enough skill, they slow your attack speed by a small-ish amount
Also ID that fucking invis wand, and remember to check which enemies have sInv, it can save your ass a lot

Meanwhile elliptic had a 70win streak

If you defend Humans being good than basically any race is good other than the 3 challenge ones

But yeah, I am surprised how I made it that far as by that point some fundamental mistakes became obvious. I stair danced the Hell out of several Snake:4 enemies, but then I came across Wiglaf, who gave fugged me in the anus while invisible. In hindsight, I could have used what buffs I still had available (I wasted oh so many on the previous floors; most encounters I took very little damage but some were surprising close calls, and I put far too much effort into taking out Vashnia in hindsight).

obviously that's just proof that it's highly arbitrary

Minotaurs are the only good race.

The humans are good shitposter is probably the same guy that tried to tell us that gargoyles are terrible

yes, human apts are like that pcb berserker skills edit

>all three stairs down to D:3 are spread out on three opposite sides of the floor
>all three stairs exit on the next floor within LoS of each other
>there's a ghost of a previous character in the center of them that I have no hope of fighting right now
How the fuck is this allowed? There's no way I can kill the ghost, and I'm not a fast character so I can't exactly outrun him to be able to check out the rest of the level without him up my ass the entire time. Plus there's also the other enemies nearby that I have to deal with. What the fuck do I do? I get lit the fuck up by the ghost casting shit at me and there's a kobold chucking stones as well. Do I just give up and start over or what?

I'M GONNA DO IT. I'M GONNA PLAY A HUMAN.

Yea pretty much.
Try to read a magic mapping or tele on that floor and then dive to the next floor

Where did pcb video guy go

That effect shows up in the table for possible randart effects. Not in any fixedarts though

Some quantity called "r" in the table is 0, and I'm guessing that means "rarity", so it will actually never show up.

Been playing the tourney.

Yo this race sucks.

i'm pretty happy about this crossbow

with some home-made bolts of lightning I three-shot the minotaur of the labyrinth

Is this on your archer?
Because holy shit I'm jealous.

yup!

look at all that damage (on a level 25 character)

lmfao this is hilarious

>playing TeAE, no fucking clue what I'm doing
>oh fuck it's Grum
>oh fuck I'm cornered
>lightning bolt please save me
>miscasts
>miscast drops Mephitic Cloud on me
>confuses Grum and his wolves, I have rPois
>take them out with no issues
RNGesus take the wheel.

that is quite the story mark.

Yo I take it back. Humans are alright.

archer unreasons:

picking up all this ammo is going to take 5x as much time as actually killing the orc pack did

What are some of the best looking roguelikes?

I just checked out Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and it doesn't look very good, but I like the RPG elements.

brogue
dwarf fortress [adventure mode]
......tome4, LOL

hey, the effects are pretty

I think the ChestHole tileset for Cata looks pretty nice.

why do you laugh at tome4 it's great

LOL

I have to say, its really cool to be on the opposite side of this exchange. RIP that sword.

>25%

train your invo nigga you have a good apt

But I am. Just later. I don't feel too great about my melee and I feel kinda squishy. Probably going to get 15 fighting/18 LB and more dodging before I double up on that invocations buffet. Lugonu has served well, but if shit hits the fan, I'll just corrupt.

Scratch that, we're going 15/16. I just found a +4 demonblade of pain. Once I find a necromancy book, we're in baby.

UI-wise DCSS is probably one of the best, largely because the other big-name roguelikes haven't changed their interface since 1990.

Brogue has neat effects for a glyph-based display. I don't play tiles but from the screenshots I've seen here, dcss looks like one of the better ones, so if you don't like that, consider playing console-based ones.

Vehicles always look super weird in DDA tilesets. I mean, there's not much that can be done with that since the same parts can be anything from a car to a school bus to some player-built monstrosity, but I can't get into them for that reason.

>enemies can still walk through the sides of your vehicle in DDA if you're parked at an angle

No joke, tome4 is one of the worst looking games I've ever seen. Only marathon looks worse.

Naga, you have to put boards on the outside of your vehicle. Preferably 2 layers. You can't walk through those, so they have to bash them down in order to get in. They also cut LoS so you can sleep in peace.

have you seen pcb tiles

Nah because the option never works

I hope you're grateful for that. They're truly awful.

well glad that's settled

What do you guys think of the ADOM tiles?

I don't really like them, but they are far better than the bottom tier of nethack and poschengband tiles.

>ELDRITCHBEARD.jpg

The Hoard is the best pcb unique

I swear tengu monk is probably the easiest tengu combo for me. The only trouble so far I've had was Grinder and Edmund, and I went might on the former and I sent the latter down a shaft.

Typical human mis-attribution.

FYI: the easiest combo for every single race is berserker

except undead/formicid because they can't berserk, i guess

>try out DDA on a whim, it sounded cool
>days later it's all I've done
>neglected serious engagements in favor of DDA

guys this is a problem, I had no idea this game existed

Archers are still alright at melee. Just punch them with your sword or something, unless you're dual-wielding shields.

Its bullshit that formicid cant berserk to get the might effect

PCB tiles don't count because they are literally broken. The maintainer disabled them recently.

Now i really want to see those pcb tiles

Probably still faster to just mash the "shoot closest enemy" macro 50 times.

I wish I didn't have to kill Donald.

Typical minotaur who is mad jelly of my ability to jam 7 points into necromancy without breaking a sweat. I also know blink and repel missile, but I don't have them online yet. Just wait til I get a buckler, kiddo. I'll be FUCKING INVINCIBLE.

github.com/poschengband/poschengband/blob/master/lib/xtra/graf/8x8.png

Not really readable unless you happen to be a formicid, though. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to start a game with them.

Man, did I not realize Prince Ribbit is a menace when you don't have decent AC. All I wanted him to do was meet up with Edmund and Menkuare on the next floor so they could all beat me up together.

>I wish I didn't have to kill Donald.
You could banish him instead.