Profession General thread

This is the profession general thread.

Post salary, hours worked, level of education, personal satisfaction, etc

>OP
Shitty undergrad looking for advice from lawyerfags

I am a professional boner judge. I'm on salary right now and make 3 million dollars annually, however I work about 60 hours a week. Worth it.

This post has really changed my view of alligators. Profound.

how do you think biped dinos evolved?

>Profession
Corporate Securities Attorney
>Level of education
I'm a lawyer take a shot in the dark
>Hours worked
Normally 40 a week, sometimes 50
>Salary
Brought home just under $225k last year after taxes but I just started working 3 years ago
>Personal satisfaction
They don't think it be like it is but it do

>40 hours per week
>$225k after taxes

>meanwhile in my Yuropoor country...
>work 70 to 80 hours per week (in the business law field)
>consider yourself lucky if you take home $40k after taxes
>I mean everyone considers you extremely successful with $40k netto per year
>you can barely afford living though because rent is $2k per month lel

>Profession
Entrepreneur

>Level of education
University Undergrad

>Hours worked

>Salary
$2.4 million last year

>Personal satisfaction
I love my life. I have people working for me and generating profit. I've made processes that mean my biz runs without my direct involvement.

In what city or state do you work by the way?

For a major firm or not?

What country do you live/work in?

wow, you are really so inspirations. I want to be like you .

Profession
>Back-end Web Developer

Salary
>$32/hr (70k/year [I get OT])

Hours Worked
>42/week

Level of Education
>BS in CSci

Personal Satisfaction
>Reasonably satisfied, but I wish I had more vacation (3 weeks) and could work less than 40 hours per week.

what is your actual profession.

I work for a large (well-known) bank holding company in Chicago, Illinois.

>Profession
>Entrepreneur

You stupid fuckwit, what's your goddamn profession

>Software Engie, e-commerce
>105k a year
>CS BS
>50ish hours a week
>Slowly investing in retirement accounts and index funds is okay but I wish I had a house. I probably would if my wife had a better job. Thinking about moving to VT for lower cost of living and because I like snow (I'm in Boston).

>profession
Entrepreneur - Autobody Repair

>salary
$200k

>hours worked

>level of education
BS

>personal satisfaction
Love the high pace, stressful workload and endless hours. I legitimately love working.

Annoyed with labor workforce demographic tho. Super blue collar.

Excited to finally have the income to start new projects in the coming years. Maybe finish my mba. Learning with money, whatever your bringing in is never enough.

France. I'm not working in this field because I'll get out of this shithole soon.

As told by most of my friends from college, as well as the economic press who confirms the story:

>be young business lawyer with good French degrees (master's degree in business law from #1 French university + degree from top French business school)
>earn €70k gross ($77k)
>which means €35k after tax ($38.5k)
>obviously work 10 to 12 hours per day for this
>pay €1.5k or more in rent (it's Paris downtown, such prestigious, wow)
>so you roughly have €1,000 to €1,500 per month for all other expenses, including food, clothes (you must dress up for the job), car, etc.
>basically have €0 left at the end
>"WOW YOU'RE SO SUCCESSFUL user!!!!! I EARN ONLY €20K WITH THE SAME MASTER'S DEGREE AND I CAN'T EVEN AFFORD A CAR LOL!!!" *keys your entry-level BMW*

Sick of this country tbqh

>Profession
Internal Support Engineer
>Salary
£28k
>Hours worked
37.5 per week
>Level of education
2:2 degree in Computer Network Security
>Personal satisfaction
I fucking hate this miserable wagecuck life. I'm desperate to quit but I'm currently able to invest 85% of my income into long term stocks which is going well...

How do I quit :(

You're not In London I guess? How would you be able to save up 85% in London with the insane rent prices?

I graduated from London but moved back to my hometown, living with parents while I save money, hence the crazy investment percentage.

It's been a year now, I should move out but I need to get a new job first or find other ways of money making. I've been considering day trading but from what I hear you don't make money through it.

ARE YOU BLACK

>Profession
International project management for setting up different plants
>Salary
Have to guess, probably around 40k€/netto
>Hours worked
40-50 per week
>Level of education
Bachelor of Engineering, working on a MBA
>Personal satisfaction
I do have my up and downs, currently down as shit. The job is pretty stressful und intense but there are a few cool perks that comes with it. Overall a good way to get a shitload of business experience within the next few years, my CV will thank my about that. Probably won't hold on it 5 more years.

> Corporate financial analyst for a distribution company
>56K
>40
> BBA and working on MBA
> Pretty satisfied, other than my salary isn't high, but came in entry level and work directly with the CFO. Getting mentored by executives right now and once I finish this MBA I should be sitting in a very good position.

(Veteran fag = free MBA)

How the fuck can you make $200k doing autobody repair? Is the business that lucrative in the US?

Do you run your own own shop with lot of employees? Like a MAACO franchise or whatever?

I can't possibly imagine ever making that much in Europe. Not even with a shop and a dozen employees.

I do body work and painting on the side, mostly on older cars.
Besides regular spray painting, I do lead filler work, coach painting (painting with a bristle brush), patch panel fabrication/welding.
Soon I'll also be doing brazing on aluminium, "pot" metal, and cast iron.

I made €20k last year and after expenses and I was left with less than €15k of profit. All off the books so no taxes.

Most of my jobs are simple trim on resprays.
I can't do insurance jobs and likely wouldn't enjoy them either.

No?

>it's a "Yuropoors realise they're actually poor" episode

>Profession
City Clerk, not some glorified cashier if you hear the word clerk and think that, I'm the treasurer, parliamentarian, human resources department, payroll department, accountant, and network administrator all rolled into one
>Level of education
Some college
>Hours worked
30 hours a week
>Salary
17 an hour for 53k a year. After taxes its 41k
>Personal satisfaction
Its a good job with good pay and I'm getting accounting, financial, and government experience, but its in the middle of nowhere. A small town with one little store straight out of the 1900's. Nothing else, no restaurants no movie theatres, no bars, nothing. Now this is prime nature country, I can go hunting, boating, berry picking, hiking, if thats your thing, but thats not really what I do. I kind of just hang out at home and play video games and surf the net, which is what I've always done, this time with no friends though. So if I actually wanted to do something I'd actually have to DO something. Something productive, which in the end should bring more satisfaction but thats not really who I am. I miss being able to go get sushi, go watch a movie, go to the bookstore. I'm making money but no way to spend it. I do fly into the city every few months and see the movies I want to see and pig out on all the things I'm missing. Am I happy? Not really but I see it as a sacrifice for the money. Worth it I think. I'll be city administrator soon, move up to 20 an hour then.

Which state? How much driving time to reach an actual city?

Its fucking insane. Here in germany, which is probably top tier europe, standards seem so much lower than in the states. Will we high skilled engineers have a chance to work in the us when trump is elected?

All insurance work, all new cars.

And own it.

Painters and good body guys can make 80k-120k if they work about 50-60hrs week

Yeah, it's dreadful. Americans don't even realise they're having it too good ("I earn $80k and I'm poor as fuck!!!") even compared to other first-world countries.

Germans are lucky though, they can work in Switzerland or Luxembourg quite easily (no language barrier) for a much better wage.

Alaska, moved back here from California after ten years. I'm in the middle of interior Alaska where you have to take a small plane to get here.

Heh, I don't know why I thought about Alaska while reading your post.

So you're trapped in the land of snow indeed. Your first post sounded like you're going to get a big depression in a few months or years though ("not who I am", "sacrifice for the money", no exit plan in sight, hoping to grind for $20 instead of $17...).

>70k gross
>35k after tax
>10-12 hours/day
>1.5k rent

lad you got played, you fell for the london/paris meme, all your extra moneymaking is going straight to the rentier class and the gouvernement

im going to be a phd student soon and ill be making 30k/after tax in the second year ffs (with preferential income tax arrangements ofcourse)

you should move to the countryside and pay 400eur/month rent

>PhD
Except if medical studies (or similar fields where a PhD is truly valuable), don't do it.

Absolutely no one cares, and you'll lose all your youth and money for a thesis no one will ever read. Better do a business school, and get the fuck out with a master's degree. You've been warned.

For the rest, thanks but I don't asked for advice on my life as I didn't actually state my net worth (hint: more than you thought), age, profession and location.

That is just a sad story. How do you even function with a 50% tax rate? Is there any pressure for the government to just back the fuck off?

did you do a PhD?
>Except if medical studies
it is medical studies

I'm not sure business school would help in my profession, I highly doubt I could change to a higher paying profession with just an mba, as my bachelors would only qualify me for marketing

Ideally, he gets free health insurance, kindergarden and school, I think he even has free university up till Masters. State guaranteed pension etc.. costs that he doesn't have to worry about since nanny state takes care of it.

They pay taxes mostly for costs that a contemporate person across the pond has to pay sometime in the future, but out of his own pocket.

> free
Only a select few nordic countries have actually free university until masters. Its much cheaper in europe for sure, however even then you need to pay the rent.
>free health insurance
in europe you typically pay a sum each month for health insurance, depends on the country, in NL its about 100/month
>free kindergarden and school
yeah in some nordic countries maybe, not available everywhere. you just get some benefits dependent on your salary
>State guaranteed pension
Which you pay for with your taxes and is not free

>pay 50% in taxes
>get "free" shit in return
>Yanks are fools for paying for the services they use out of pocket

What the fuck is going on over there?

the problem in the states is that its a free for all for everyone

the food industry is free to profit by advertising to kids. Those same kids are free to pay hundreds of thousands for poor health, diabetes, heart disease and extreme obesity for the rest of their lives. Free to take huge student loans.

Free to pick whichever healthcare they want, and free to pay their life savings out of pocket.

Also free to pick whichever car they want for the drive to work because there is no other way to get to work

Aint free awesome? You have the freedom to choose the miniscule details of the exact way you will be getting fucked over

Actually, Slovenia has free university up to Masters as well. I just assumed everywhere else in West Europe was the same I guess.

Also "free" as in paid with taxes lol. You pay each month so should the need arise you don't need to force it out of your pocket.

I didn't want to sound like I'm belittling amerilards, I don't like our crippling taxes anyhow.

the problem with europe isnt the high taxes, its the stupid shit the governments spend them on. Why is france such a shithole with such high taxes? Because they spend the money on bullshit thats why

I agree. Plus the regulations and general bureaucracy are really stiffling.

>lol don't actually make discoveries and advance human knowledge goy, make the sheckles and have more anime money

I am fine with that cynicism up to a point but our freedom makes us able to game the system a lot more too.

Like, well before Obamacare people were going a lifetime without medical insurance, huge savings IF they ate right and exercised but of course you'd get hit with a big ass bill on a injury case.

Get legit scholarships and your college isn't THAT bad and your taxes are amazing after you grad in theory.

Free childcare and laundry... its nice but can live without it you might be able to get grandma to do it free.

I wish we had more money for schools but sorry not sorry because everything always goes into the gaping maw of sports bullshit.

"Wow thanks for raising the taxes to 50%, that means we can make our fucking high school football have a Rose Bowl level stadium AND a 300 foot jumbotron!!!" >_>

It never EVER goes to schools. We give them more money every year and it mysteriously disappears into more failure and more decline. More crumbling infrastructure.

Then i read that a Texas HS got like a 100M football stadium and I am like fuck this shit.

So you admit you hate our freedoms huh? It is not the purpose of governments to protect people from the negative consequences of their risky decisions.

>Free childcare and laundry... its nice but can live without it you might be able to get grandma to do it free.

Just curious, but I need to know something. How is your relationship in general with your parents and grandparents after people move out? I've seen numerous posts how neets got kicked out at 18. Do they just tell you to fuck off and graduate asap?

I mean it's the same here, it's just less pressure on moving out I guess.

>medical studies
Then forget the rest of my rant, and good luck :)

Yes, did a PhD. Worst choice of my life, considered suicide every single day of it (and still now).

>PhD (not in hard sciences)
>making discoveries

lol

This is going to be all over the place. Some people like living with their parents. I hated it so I moved out at 18 and only came back for a month after graduation from college so I could find a job. Looking back I wish I would have just done a better job of job hunting prior to graduation because that month ended with me bitching out his wife (not my mother) for being a massive cunt. Kind of hard to use him as a safety net after that.

>Profession
Game Designer
>Level of education
Self taught. 2.5 years of programming under my belt, 4 years of drawing, and 6 years spent doing pixel art.
>Hours worked
40-50 weekly.
>Salary
First game made 1 mil for selling 100K units last year, but I only took home around 125K after taxes.
>Personal satisfaction
I enjoy what I'm doing but I'm scared as shit of being a one trick pony.

>Yes, did a PhD. Worst choice of my life, considered suicide every single day of it (and still now).

christ what the hell happened? Tell us your story

It is probably because youre trying to do things under the table. If you do things above the table, you can attract more work. That way youre not trying to be dodgy.

Not wanting to say too many details. Just did a useless thesis (like just every other thesis) with little money, no consideration, no career in the end, nothing.

When doing your PhD, you slowly become some kind of marginal whose only """occupation""" is writing endless bullshit no one cares about... Meanwhile, everyone else is having jobs, marrying, having children, earning a good salary, and being productive members of society. No one understands what you do. You're working hard, yet you're treated as a lazy fuck who doesn't want to grow up. And you must kiss asses all day. And you lead a subpar life.

And no one is impressed by your PhD (except in medicine of course, but you have no choice in this field). Only money counts in the end. Money, and not "prestigious" degrees that prevent you from earning money and acquiring valuable experience while you're still young.

Just don't wake up at 30 with a piece of shit PhD, being old, poor and bored.

Fortunately my financial situation went better for various reasons, but I'm still broken inside. Being "literally who" or "that guy" for years and years killed my former self.

>Reality TV Editor
>$135k/year

The work is piss easy but I really wish I could break into film

>Operations Management
58k + 16k guaranteed bonus, more depending on numbers

38k back after tax before bonus
> (fuck california)

BS in Supply Chain Management from pretty good private uni

satisfied until i have to bring the whip down on my associates

Truth be told PhD's are different depending on the topic and what you want to achieve. My degrees are all STEM, so theres a lot of dichotomy (you're either licensed and can do the job, or you're not and you're unemployed).

I will be working on clinical topics (treatment, diagnosis etc) in a hospital. After I graduate I will be able to access the pharmaceutical industry/medical research. It will also be a boost for my career if I want to go clinical.

I seriously took into account what you mentioned. I am well aware how PhD's can become horror projects without direction or meaning and it is definitely something I want to avoid.

Its true what you say in terms of career. Ultimately during a PhD you need to acquire skills and experience in advanced techniques that are in demand elsewhere. I am keeping my mind open and already have multiple plans for the future. You need to make a PhD work for you, and not the other way around to get value out of it.

Fellow French user, while I would also prefer live in the US you dont say everything.

-Your university degree was free while US students start with high debt.

-We have at least 7 paid holiday weeks + many non worked days

-We can hardly get fired outside trial period

- Tax include complete healthcare + pension

-1.5kE wtf are you renting 60m2 for yourself? New York/London ect will be far worse for this btw

I am doing 80kE in finance, kind of sick of the country as well but we dont have it so bad actually. It could be so much better if we were not a borderline communist country.

>Profession
Investment banking analyst - M&A
>Salary
$100k base, ~$50k or so bonus
>hours worked
lol
>level of education
BS engineering
>personal satisfaction
it's meh. lots of young guys my age on the job so the camaraderie is good. The money is great and my expenses are low. The shitty things are the unpredictability of hours and the staleness of the work - I can pop my headphones in and Excel for 12 hours and crank out a presentation. I'm not required to think too much, just be on call 24/7. I'm on my 2nd year now. Goals are to get on the buy side or possibly business school if I get sick of banking.

bonus can get up to $100k this year. I really dont fucking know

I can't add much to your post, except two little things:

If you want to succeed, you must go as fast as possible. Don't be trapped in the "I've got time for this" mindset. It is very important. Try to do it all in less than two years. Decline every offer (like teaching) that gets in your way.

And obviously, if you don't have some kind of financing for your thesis, consider other options.

You also forgot the following parts:

>it's almost impossible to find a job (or even a paid internship), even with a top degree
>if you do find a job by miracle, the majority will hate you for being "rich" (4k per month = rich)
>if you work really hard, you will get zero promotion because all the good positions are reserved to senior employees with 15+ years in the company

This country is a commie shithole, I don't care about the wageslave perks and I'm out soon. The US weren't in my thoughts anyway, there are better countries like Switzerland.

(1.5k is for a 35 m2 in the centre of Paris, at the 5th floor with no elevator.)

First part of was for you

Machine Op for a fabric company
2200 a month
40 hours, m-f
I'm taking a break from college, I was going for game development(Coding essentially) might switch to engineering or a trade, tis why im on "Break"
>Personal Satisfaction
Well...Not bad, I have a decent apartment thats only 500 a month, bills only like a hundred. Essentially have 1500+ disposable income with 3000 in savings
>I live in Texas so I can stretch that out
Plus I have ample free time to pursue hobbies and general interests while I try to figure out what to do with my life. Only downside is while I'm somewhat Stagenated, My friends are in uni actually doing something with themselves and heading to the future.

80k base, 40-60 avg, sophomore college dropout, 7/10, I trade prop.

>if you work really hard, you will get zero promotion because all the good positions are reserved to senior employees with 15+ years in the company

I think this will be the same everywhere it depends more on the company and your area than the country

For the rent I pay 800e for furnished 27m2 in Paris center as well (not my parents or anything I just waited a bit)

Good luck with Switzerland lol I have been trying to go there since my degree without success, the french speaking part is really full I think its harder to get a job there than in Paris

Sadly the good capitalist countries are hard to immigrate to (I dont think its a coincidence btw)

It's pretty fucking insane how high US wages appear to be. Any decent engineer there seems to be doing 80-120k per year. If you have your phd here you're lucky to break 50... wtf man...

And that's gross too... Shit's fucking depressing.

>financing
100% set here, my phd is like a job, 36 hours, salary, vacation days, determined project theme/plan
>Decline every extra offer
yup, my plan is to get in, publish, submit thesis, get out. nobody gives a shit if you have teaching experience/went to 5,000 conferences, did 50 poster presentations
> you must go as fast as possible
Its my plan as well. Plan to graduate asap to move into better/new posts.

>It's pretty fucking insane how high US wages appear to be

the EU's deliberate incompetency at resolving the 2008 great depression is the reason for that.

in 2012 1euro=1.4usd
2016 1euro=1.1usd

This is why euro salaries look like (and are) shit. Because our great leaders fucked us all over in the EZ

There's a shortage of good engineers right now. Most kids are going into other programs.

>network better
>you shouldn't care
>what is: showing leadership ability

It cannot be any easier. It almost seems like you're not intended for a promotion if you can't figure out how the game works, huh?

Fucking Europeans, they don't know about the struggle. They don't know about fighting for their future everyday and eating what you kill.

I go visit my Euro family in the summers and all I find them doing is relaxing. Even in the winters, it's all about "enjoying your life," "'experiencing' good food," and "work easy, play hard, gov't will pay for it."

>not working in the summer
>having more than one month of vacation

It's like all you want to do is get fat and die.

Don't be sanctimonious about the job market in countries you know nothing about. Thanks.

>blaming job markets for your lack of self-awareness
>positioning the blame on anything but yourself in matters that concern yourself

This is why people don't make it. Did you also go into academia because of the "big bucks," "stability," and "service to humanity?"

>going into Academia for the "big bucks"

surely nobody who is capable of getting into academia is this retarded

>There's a shortage of good engineers right now. Most kids are going into other programs.

There is a shortage because you dont let anyone in. We even have to do a damn lottery to get a temporary work visa. wtf

Pro-tip: I'm an Americanized immigrant from the eastern bloc.

There are so many ways to get in quickly. Of course, only if you're putting your goals above your feelings and morals.

If it's not the big bucks, I don't know why anyone would go into real macadamia.

No. There are no "big bucks" at all in the French academia. Salary is like 30k per year, gross obviously, if you have the job. Otherwise, as a entry-level teacher in my "prestigious" college, I was earning 2k per year--that's right, around €165 per month--for 20 to 25 hours of real work per week.

No "stability" either since there are no jobs: PhDs are almost free, so everyone can get a PhD and there are too many candidates for one position.

And no "service to humanity" since everyone knows what you write is completely useless and overly complicated on purpose, to "justify" the prestigious 30k salary you might get one day (if you have really solid kneepads). It is a shit life that only attracts shit people, the less gifted of the bunch, those who can't monetise their skills because their main skill is about writing long, autistic reports no one reads.

Regarding promotions:

>work and "network" like a madman in France
>promotions are reserved for Jean-Michel, 45 years old, who takes all the credit for your work anyway
>most of the time you only do secretary-tier stuff because no one trusts you
>end result: no promotion, horrible wage, €0 in the bank

>go to UAE
>people give you important stuff to do right away, hoping that you won't fuck up
>actually, you don't fuck up
>end result: you get good promotion in less than one year (would have taken 7 or 8 years of grinding in France)
>also get better pay from the start, lower costs of living, and zero tax

But yeah, it's entirely your fault man!

>There are so many ways to get in quickly.
do tell, cause it looks hard as fuck on paper

1). Marry and divorce a U.S citizen
2). Enlist in the U.S military
3). I bet if you google around there's a forum dedicated to the quickest ways of getting citizenship

>no big bazingas

Fuck if I know anything about academia, I was just busting your balls for the poorly thought out career choice.

But, all of these problems can be mitigated with a little pro-action.

>1). Marry and divorce a U.S citizen
meh, life is not a bad movie
>2). Enlist in the U.S military
i wish i knew that when i was still in eligible age