Hey Veeky Forums, how do I make money with my programming skills? I am web dev but I want something extra

Hey Veeky Forums, how do I make money with my programming skills? I am web dev but I want something extra.

Other urls found in this thread:

mememarketbeta.weebly.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

solve a problem ppl didn't realize they had, with a mobile app.

You know, I always though it would be a good idea to produce series of simple mobile games - with the only control being tapping the screen. I notice a lot of those on the app store. It seems like the most reward for the least effort.

but nobody pays for games user in fact nobody pays for software anymore. people only pay for services.

That's why every app has ads

Adds and micro transactions. Or go full slimey and steal data from the user and sell it to other slimey people like all the flashlight apps

i would never install a fucking flashlight app that wants to access my personal data lol?
how do they even expect this to work?
if a non-factory app wants to access my personal data it doesn't get installed period.

what kind of web dev are you? what's your salary? or are you freelance?

if you aren't working full time making the equivalent of like $150K in Chicago ($200K or so in SF) then get a better job.

beyond that, if you're in web dev it's a quick jump into mobile. Make something useful, market the fuck out of it, and rake in ad revenue.

not OP, but I just started as a Java dev for a company that provides stock market data making 40k. It's my first job, and I'm hoping that this will transfer into higher paying work at maybe a bigger financial company. Are you familiar with that sector? Are there good career prospects in that or should I just learn Node and jump into some kind of startup?

I do have an acquaintance who works for Mastercard, and a friend who works for Energizer. Both are Java devs, Mastercard is making about $60K (first job) and Energizer is making about $75K (been there five years)

this is in the midwest, though. Those are both solid above-median salaries here, but there's PLENTY of room for growth...

Truth is, $40K for your first job is pretty solid money. Moreso if you don't live in a major coastal city.

There is NO shortage of demand for Java devs in the financial sector, particularly in Chicago. If that was my field I wouldn't hesitate to start looking there. And the demand isn't really going anywhere, not anytime soon. I don't know how old you are, but really, you could probably carve out a career in legacy Java if you get in at the right company.

Chicago should be your mecca. Get a year of experience under your belt and then start seriously looking at job openings. You could easily jump and double or triple your salary.

>Truth is, $40K for your first job is pretty solid money.

I don't have a degree, only an incomplete Java certification so I'm just relieved that I got my foot in the door. The plan is to work there for a year or two and get my hand in as many projects as possible so that I will have enough experience to make up for the lack of formal education. I've heard that employers look for experience over educations anyway so I hope that will be enough to land an intermediate position.

>Chicago should be your mecca.
I wish. I'm in Canada, so it might be tough to find a company that will give me a visa sponsorship. I'm looking at Toronto or Montreal, I've heard there's quite a bit of demand for Java devs. Maybe after a few years there I can convince a US company to sponsor me, but I haven't planned that far ahead

I don't have a degree either user and I understand the struggle. Congratulations on getting your foot on the door.

I don't know much about the job market outside the US, other than the fact that NO country has the demand the United States has.

It's easy for me to say it as a US citizen (and after going to Fiddler on the Roof last night haha), but if I were you, I'd seriously look into becoming a US citizen. There are a lot of industries that have left the US, but if you want money, there's no better industry than programming and no better country than the United States. Come here and get paid.

Chicago has really shitty winters so it'd be right up your canuck alley. and they have a (difficult to admit as a Blues fan) excellent hockey team.

thanks for the advice user. If all goes well I will be another immigrant stealing local tech jobs and gentrifying some urban community in 5 years

St. Louis Missouri has a growing tech scene as well, and is home to Energizer's world headquarters along with Scottrade, a massive Mastercard outpost, a large Microsoft campus, Monsanto, and a few others, along with a slew of startups. We have the lowest cost of living (among the top 50 cities per capita) in the nation, the second winningest baseball team in the country, and the loveable losers the St. Louis Blues... look into it if you want a smaller city. Chicago is pretty fucking based though.
Hope you reach your goals user, good luck no matter where you land.

Join my team.

I am developing a "meme" stock exchange where you buy and sell memes for real money. How many times have you turned on the news to see a story and thought "how can I profit off of this"? How many times have you seen a trend (like vaping, for example) poised for rapid growth, but there is no corresponding stock to ride the trend? With Meme Market, you will be able to gain or lose real money depending on how popular the meme is. The memes will be things like %EMOGI,%TRUMP, %PKMGO, %ISIS, %DRONE, et cetera. My life mission is to make this site a great place to make profit, have gambley fun, and make a resource that tracks trends, news, and maymays.

I'm working on a fake-money version of the site. I'll be communicating with a small number of Veeky Forumsnessmen beta testers giving me feedback. I should be done with this version in around 30 days. But for the full, real money version I will need help. The code would basically be a poloniex/coinbase/kraken clone, and the banking elements need to be secure af. Are you up for it?

That while loop in the OP triggers me, should be a for loop

holy shit.

I wish I was kidding when I say that this idea is fucking DANK.

where can I follow your progress user?

thanks user best of luck to you as well.

Dude, I had a very similar idea. A site where you can upload a meme and then collect and trade memes that others have uploaded. There would have been some sort of recognition algorithm to makes sure that no meme is uploaded more than once. There would also be knock off memes that users would probably try to upload with some minor alterations, so you would have to make sure that you have the original. Yours is way better though, I knew there was a way to cash in on memes. Good luck man

>where can I follow your progress user?
Either mememarketbeta.weebly.com/ or if you want to contact me, twitter is @MemeMarketReal

Memes are financial instruments of the future.

How hard would it be to make a clean imageboard+forum mixture website? I want a button which can easily change between layouts without messing up the posts.

Is it possible and how much would you want to get paid for something like this?

So basically.... a forum and an imageboard in the same website. Is it possible?