blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

savemeoniichan.com/post/144643831283/level-6-learning-curves-testing-out-a-level-that
youtu.be/ZFX7IHhZw7g
covalentbonds.itch.io/horse-game
soundcloud.com/luke-sanderson-5/echoes
youtube.com/watch?v=cNBtDstOTmA
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can someone tell me if independent game envelopment is a viable option for financial revenue?

Good start. Keep it up everyone

>asking financial advice
>post pic of baby boomer

brilliant

Reposting webm

I have a longer version on my post about it here, as well as other things about my game
>savemeoniichan.com/post/144643831283/level-6-learning-curves-testing-out-a-level-that

Does your game have QT foods?

artbro just dumped some cheese on me, the cornerstone of any productive dev day

nice pacman model

you forgot the eye though

How do I get more consistent collision with objects in gamemaker?

Complete scrubby, assume I know very little.

That wheel of cheese looks absolutely disgusting.

What kind of cheese is pink inside?
You forgot to delete the embeds you loser.

Cotehill Pink cheese

Is there anyway to change the colour inside a font in gamemaker? Cause right now, the font I am using has a black outline around it but it is transparent on the inside, anyway on how to fill it with a colour?

post your code

Don't use collision, instead check the place empty for where you're going.

Frognok dev here, looking for a musicfriends.

In need of ambient space music.

Looks like you've got a float rounding error

the term "just like make game" is deceptive and wrong.
it needs to be "hone your skills until you are good enough to make games"
otherwise if you compare just like make game to lets say just like draw thing, it would mean draw circles and shit without meaning or substance,
the term "just like make game" with statues like "yesdev" and "nodev" only only put pressure on developers to make progress with no aim or direction, like headless chicken they just make thing that may or may not work.
that's why we see all those people that blame unity,godot,blender,gimp on not delivering, its because they just like wanted to do something rather than learning and honing their skills

Of course, but that's why it's a meme. I think everyone understands that.

well i disagree, because agdg is good at making memes more than they are making games

How do I get into coding?

where's your cheese

>i don't have any progress, so I'm going to try to demean people who do
found the nodev

There are a million answers to this. Personally I think you should code in as high-level as possible and profile your performance and drop down to lower-level when it's necessary. (high-level means "closer to spoken language" and low-level means "closer to machine language")

So I'd say learn something like python, lua, ruby. And on the side, learn C.

/civ4xg/ on what they'd like to see in an indie 4x/gs game:

>Racial customization that lets me create a race of loli aliens.
>Spreadsheets. High options in terms of automation.
>Cute girls
>bindable shortcuts
>LAN mode for me and my band of NEETs.
>fuck off
>Stellaris with the diplomacy of whatever game has the best diplomacy, the combat of Sins of a Solar Empire and pretty 3d graphics. Also highly modable.
also dicks, but probably that was funposting.

youtu.be/ZFX7IHhZw7g

What if I only want to use it for Unity 2D? Mostly top down?

Are there any indie 4Xs? They're a lot bigger in scope than most indie games, and rely on custom engines with interesting gameplay. Indies succeed based on story and art most of the time.

We need more context.
Have you made games before?
Are you using Game Maker but only touched the Drag&Drop? Or did you use another engine that requires no coding?
Are you specifically asking "How to get into coding?" or do you mean to ask "How to get into making games?"

Learn a language.
Don't expect it to be weird.
Start with C

I think if you don't know how to code you should stick to Game Maker. You will learn the basics of scripting with it.

It will take a year if not longer to become a competent-enough coder to make anything worthwhile in a more advanced engine.

I don't really know where the genre begins and ends, but Banished has quite a following. I guess that's more "city simulator" but I think they have a lot in common.

Indie 4x/gs is possible for sure. Actually I think it would be pretty interesting to see some simple versions of this. When you look at it, games like CK2 have a lot of weak points. The pop-ups are generally very poorly done. The deep stuff is in the AI and emergent game, and arguably that is rather poor also.

play my game you pieces of shit

covalentbonds.itch.io/horse-game

> Have you made more games before?

I worked narrowly with a person that was good at coding. I even do so right now.

> Are you using Game Maker?

No not at the moment. I've used one 2 years ago but moved on due to limitations.

> Did you use another engine that required no coding??

Never did.

> What are you specificaly asking?

How do I learn to code for a top down shooter game with micro management elements?

Thanks for the advice.

Amplitude Studio who made Endless Legends proclaims themselves as indie.
Even though they use Iceberg for publishing.

uh no

>Spent all day in GMS dicking around, getting back in the groove and following tutorials to learn the foundations of GML so I can do stuff beyond drag and drop.
I haven't touched this stuff in around five years.
I feel good because:
a) I'm learning things
b) I can clearly see what I have to learn next
c) It brings back good memories of ignoring all my HSC work in favour of making shitty, barely functional Shmups using sprites I drew in Flipnote Studio on my DS.
Right now my goals for tomorrow are:
>Learning/brushing up on a horizontal scrolling room with a scrolling camera that follows the player (similar to Gradius).
>Combination of previous things learnt into a single test project (accurate collision detection, changing object sprites, scrolling camera, better projectile logic (my previous way when I used to use GM was fucking retarded.)
Then I'll get started on a simple design document for a tech demo. Nothing complicated, just a simple list of basic functions I want to happen (e.g.Move down when pressing down, lose one unit of health when hitting object, display failure screen when all health is lost etc.)
I feel like if I have my intended basic functions written down, it will be simpler to progress rather than just trying to get shit down working off a mental image.
My masterpiece took around 30 minutes in GMS as soon as it finished downloading this morning. Do you think it's ready to ship to my Kickstarter backers yet? I'm running a year behind schedule but this should be fine for a retail release.
I didn't realise I posted this in the dead thread.

Contact Blackshell Media. They publish everything.

Python's a bit annoying to work with on backend stuff, isn't it a massive pain to introduce multithreading in python?

multithreading is a massive pain in every language

>all that shovelware
good lord
Also didn't they have four people?

Well it's not like you have to commit to something. Learning one language will help with others. Even if you stop learning one language and pick up another, you will only benefit from the previous experience.

Not a big deal to learn a few languages, most people do this.

Aren't functional languages more appropriate for multithreading? I don't really know about it

>i make games so im better currently
>what kind of games? who gives a shit quantity over quality

Depends on what you're trying to achieve, if the work to be done breaks down neatly into logically separate sets of tasks then it's really not difficult at all. The problem is trying to multithread a heavily interrelated set of tasks, then you have to synchronise everything and deal with interthread communication which is an absolute titspanner.

What do you think of indiegame culture /agdg/? Do you (want to) go to events like GDC or PAX and hang out with other devs?

it is if you make a good game.

My only experience with functional languages is playing with Haskell for an afternoon, but I would have thought object oriented languages would be a lot simpler to thread in. You just create a new subclass of thread, write a function within the thread for running code and instantiate however many threads you want just like any other object.

indiegame culture is pretty fucking gay but I do want to go to events like that to hand out with other devs anyway. I'd probably try to find the sane ones. But going to events like that seems like fun anyway.

their primary method of 'marketing' is spamming twitter and mass following people

that's kind of like arguing that the best whore is the one that has the most STDs

I'm thinking of making a learn C devstream after my headache is gone (lets hope).

I'm just not sure what the aim should be. And I have problem keeping focus. I can't really picture what people would need and it's easy to forget what people don't know. I think maybe encouraging interruptions would be a good idea.
Depends on the concurrency model of your program. If your requirements for performance isn't very high and you don't need to be super efficient about things then

Functional programming languages force you to write software functionally which is advantageous to multithreading. One of the problems with multi threaded programs is that you're touching memory other threads are relying on or expect to be current. But functional programming doesn't solve all of the multithreading stuff in your program really.

For amateur game dev it doesn't matter. You're not gonna make logic that requires that much processing power that you will take advantage of multi-threading.

Smaller events are nicer.
Large events are not for indie really.
Frankly they seem like a waste of time. You'd reach more people by spending money on other marketing methods rather than paying for a booth and traveling there and spending your time and stuff.

You shouldn't aim to reach the players directly. You should garner the interests of youtubers. Or depending on your game it can be one of those games where you can attract the large group of silent gamers who play Free to play MMO's and such things.

We're far too western-market focused honestly.

To be clear, I was sarcastic. Don't contact Blackshell Media. Ever.

I have never read a story about a Dev going to pax and getting a lot of fans.

It seems at most you can get some money to publish your game if you meet the right people.

Or get connections in the industry if you want to get hired by a real game company.

Seems like a fun experience though.

> What do you think of indiegame culture?

Depends. It can be fun and comfy, but it can also be cancerous.

Cancer:
> Steam Pre Alpha

Fun:
> GDC / PAX

I forgot Kickstarter.

Cancer:

> Kickstarter

But this is solely because of the risk of never seeing the game you support being released.

> Overgrowth
> Dayz Standalone

I can name a lot more but I'm tired

soundcloud.com/luke-sanderson-5/echoes

havent done music in a while but im willing to do lil bits and pieces if you want

>indie
>artists ask for money

>go down to amateur
>artists ask for money

>go down to fan-game
>common sense tells you to not make money off an existing franchise
>artists still ask for money

You're going to be jews until the very end aren't you?

When's the last time you programmed something for someone else for no payment?

Sounds neat dude. I really like 'Rad Raptor: Level 1'

> Asking for money for honest work means you're a jew

This is bait.

2 weeks ago.

>honest work
Making money using someone's else franchise is a fraud.

/agdg/, how would you react when tomorrow morning you wake up and find that your game was completely finished overnight?

Basically, you turn on your computer and start to dev only to find out that the thing you were working on last night is completely finished and ready to play. But not just that, all the things you planned on adding to the game later were already added in. All the art, mechanics, levels, music, new game plus mode, UI, everything. And you have no idea how it happened. And best of all, there are absolutely no bugs! It's a miracle! Maybe a guardian angel who specialized in Indie game dev came down from heaven to give you a helping hand while you were asleep...who knows?

How would you react.

> Making money using someone else's franchise is a fraud

> Asking money for coding, for a fangame is criminal

> Making money with a fangame is criminal

thanks man

that'd be nice because I'm estimating 5 years to finish my idea

It is. What's your point?

> How would you react?

I would publish it. For 10 dollars.

> What's your point?

You're overreacting. Calling people jews and what not. If you hate making money this might not be the career for you.

>Making money using someone's else franchise is a fraud.
Agreed. Every single dev should build his own game from scratch without using anyone else's assets. You should never profit off of anyone else's work. In fact we shouldn't even be purchasing light bulbs because only Thomas Edison is allowed to use them. Not even Nikola Tesla is allowed to be mentioned because he failed patent his work and create an LLC for his work so sucks for him I guess. You snooze you lose.

Great minds think alike, famicom.

Programmers probably work for free more than any other profession, open source collaboration is pretty common friendo. That said, I can see why you wouldn't want to draw for someone else for no reward - shit takes time.

Those are some horrible examples.

All the time.
What do you think github is?

I honestly think artists are just retarded sometimes.
Wish I wasn't so bad at what they do.

I don't even understand why you should justify a payment with the work you do.

> I want a payment BECAUSE . . .

Makes no sense. You do work, you get paid. Simple as that.

>open source collaboration
Amusingly enough all pixel art collaboration with the intent of making a game I've seen have miserably failed.

The whole internet is based on stuff programmers built for free desu

So you're worse than retarded?

At retard specific hobby yes.
I genuinely hope you're so retarded you think you made a point here

I meant more like open source libraries on gitHub, a huge amount of the software you use daily was literally coded for free for "exposure".

Welp, my father found grinder on my phone.
Fugg me.

>Fugg me.
You wish.

No I think that's inaccurate.
Just look at something like python
youtube.com/watch?v=cNBtDstOTmA

No I'm just messing with you.

I am retarded, though.

>Programmers probably work for free more than any other profession
And why are they ok with this? Are they all cucks?

If I had a choice between being a cuck and being a jew, I'll pick jew because at least I'll be able to buy food with that money. You don't get shit for doing things for free. People will take advantage of that and will ask for other things for free while they're at it.

I'm not even a programmer but I did requests a long time ago, but I found that the moment I finished and showed them, they would immediately ask for another one. Then I did those requests and guess what, "Oh wow, nice work! Say, you think you could draw me this other thing?" wtf, am I your personal servant that doesn't have anything else to do but take your requests? No, thanks, I'm busy. Then they get upset and ask another artist to take over for me. There are so many of these guys, they're like jackals.

No I'm not going to draw for free any more. You shouldn't program for free either, unless you enjoy getting cucked. Maybe you could do it for the 'experience', or the 'exposure', if you want to reword it that way so it sounds better. You know Disney is thinking about charging its interns and animators for the experience of working at Disney?

Say, you think you could program an engine for me? But since I'm allowing you the privilege of working under my LLC, I think you should be the one paying me. You'll gain plenty of experience in the field as well as exposure because your name will be in the credits at the end of the game. In fact, maybe I should also charge you for the experiece of getting your name in the credits? I look forward to working with you! :)

>mfw making a fan game and artist is working for free

That's the thing. I don't know why everyone always forget about all the available open source libraries, coding or even engines whenever someone talks about artists.

>open source is about being a cuck
We'd probably be stuck in the stone ages with a reasoning like that.

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at but I found that video very comfy. Why does it counter my point about open source software? Python is open source right?

It's one thing to be doing a project on the side or with friends or on a project you enjoy, but asking people to work full time with no payment is unsustainable. How are you supposed to pay for rent/food/bills? Just get another job? Why not do that job for free as well, for the 'exposure'? You're telling me all those open-source projects were worked on full time and the devs survived off money donations and donated canned food? How do you even live like that or improve your life? Why not jsut become a slave or unpaid servant?

Have you ever though what will you do, when THEY come?

As a programmer, this happened to me. I joined an open source project being headed by a professor of a local university and a few software engineers in the area. All was well until the top guy decided to be more and more ambitious to the point that he wanted the volunteers to do crazy things, before we were even done with the first version. I quit at some point, and he denounced the other contributors soon after that. He went off to find new volunteers to pedter, and started the whole project over from scratch, despite it being at a stable release with most of the features we decided on for v1.

It's quite the mystery for sure. Exposure/experience have to be at least a factor. Honestly I think it's that people who enjoy programming want their programming to be useful in some way. If you look at handmadehero.org

This is a software engineer with 20+ years of experience who has worked on projects like BINK and Granny 3D. He has code in A LOT of games. He could easily get contract work and get absolutely massive amounts of money for it. But he's sitting at home making a youtube series for free because he loves his craft and is seeing how it's deteriorating and wants to do something about it.

The large number of contributors. Exposure is definitively not the only reason. That said devs really do appreciate having control. The PSF doesn't just put up their source on Git and lets anyone submit pull requests however. That's the main point. It's not a project that gets exposure from having a lot of people be involved.

But it's kinda misleading to assume all Open source software development is done for free. Because there's a lot of people that make a living from it. Mozilla has been doing that for a long time for instance.

Yep. Drama.
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY

You're missing the point. I'm not talking about your fun little side projects you upload to Github to share with everyone, or random internet questions you answer in less than an hour.

I mean when was the last time you took a request to program a specific feature for someone else's project? Something that won't be used by anyone else? Something that isn't just a problem with an objective "best" solution, and instead requires creativity? Something that takes hours to finish?

Imagine someone asked you to program the visual effect in this gif (which isn't a sprite, it's just a bunch of code/maths/triangles). Would you really spend the hours it takes tweaking it and playing with the maths to make it look nice, just to hand it off to some schmo to drop in their game?

That's what making art for free is like.

YOU WERE THE FIRST FUCKING THING I THOUGH ABOUT WHEN I SAW THIS POST
FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU SO MUCH, DOGSHITTER
I WILL FUCKING BULLY YOU INTO THE GROUND, YOU CUNT

When I said exposure, I meant more in the sense that it looks VERY good on LinkedIn to have a number of commits on a big open source like Python, these people definitely love programming but to at least some extent they're doing it so people notice and give them a job.

>But he's sitting at home making a youtube series for free because he loves his craft and is seeing how it's deteriorating and wants to do something about it.
It happens a lot with programmers, and even musicians. You just never see the artist counterpart.

what if you get to the point where doing that is a no brainer and you can shit it out in like, an hour and it looks killer?
skill and effort are relativistic terms

>It happens a lot with programmers, and even musicians. You just never see the artist counterpart.

Yeah you do, they just don't post it on the internet. There are shitloads of artists painting pictures and making sculptures for very little pay because they love it.

For sure, try to find out of there are indie communities near you.

I spent some time with my local indie community and it helped me get a job and make some cool friends.

the fuck is granny 3d
it doesnt sound like something you would want on a resume

I remember my 'Game Development and Design' classes.

You had two seperate groups, Developers, (coding) and Design (artist) and they literally hated each other.

Needless to say not one project survived.

I may have unthinkingly deleted all my box code before I followed the tutorial that was posted. My issue with that tutorial is that, while solid (Though mine's throwing errors...) it doesn't work on anything not called obj_solid.

How would I expand his code, which basically looks for obj_solid and then stops when it reaches it (same thing I was doing more or less, but I guess his runs better?), so it would work on a range of different objects?