/sg/ - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. General

I don't have any Stalker pics so I'm posting gondola edition

>BugTrap, crash to desktop, freeze/lockup?? Find your crash log.
Check your Documents or game install directories for the xray_[your name].log file. If you can't find it, look in the location specified at the top of fsgame.ltx. Copy the last few lines from the log and paste them here if you want any help.

>Start guide, beginner tips, and much much more
pastebin.com/FUPEbLiv
>HUD guide, modding basics, mod reviews, and AMK mod guide
docs.google.com/document/d/10yi79NUFhJrFO4hmGeKqaWSw35BJQv0Ve0OK94ioMEw
>Why Complete is bad and you shouldn't play it
pastebin.com/6AtetpMM
>Performance Guides, Steam settings
pastebin.com/nzXEevG7

>The Zone Manual: Every Mod You'll Ever Need for the True Ukrainian Experience
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121125400
>Pasta summaries, streamer listing and more
cheeki.violates.me/
>STALKER General Steam Group - Join chat and ask for an invite!
steamcommunity.com/groups/BroZone

Reminder that MS Update KB2670838 breaks your DX10/11 games including Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat. Here's a fix:
mega.nz/#!LAAXlaIZ!uVbJ-gsIPm8Sn2ydh7btI_3VK7Mfr41qoO2L6M7FZfQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.co.nz/#F!R5tnxQab!u1LS76bEVBuIrAZw6Py_3A
mega.co.nz/#F!NoVzUJLZ!g4Qdy88rL3BG7WTlNXsGOw
mega.co.nz/#F!58lwDISQ!P-UNABvTEA7km2fLUIAU7A
mega.co.nz/#F!Ql5CSLxb!gNkfqg-xAUfYezLuMaFtYQ
mega.co.nz/#F!M4BmDRCL!vfze70GSJDyv-HzWn7Dwww
mega.co.nz/#F!V5hBzKab!wF7fgX6m5Tq29B_m5EX69g
mega.co.nz/#F!kFtnBTSb!K-RlA1TVxlJGl86yE1c6fw
mega.co.nz/#F!nJEUgaKS!UdZXAwzMWmtjwfn_dFM3dg
pastebin.com/ZUHS77ZS
mega.nz/#F!Z01CVQgZ!kzFOBdGnnehBSk1OUQm6PQ
bitbucket.org/revo_lucas/
mega.nz/#!at5AACJT!_GFaRwe-D4XPY8bdD8DHrBY9njvc9T107hE-lc0J0vs
mega.nz/#!uoYinJ7I!Lqj2DNIAkaVkcFUa1PLZzj80cVhAFK5D-9zbU2Iy5KI
mediafire.com/download/6644yv6xekn73rr/Codebro's 1.0008b Fix 1.zip
pastebin.com/CtQ7zfkA
mega.co.nz/#F!BIISmQgK!KHZR01ljznUqJlcHUax-aQ
gsc-game.com/main.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr2&thm_id=23321&sec_id=22
youtu.be/bOlm-rsdCBM?t=22s
moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/downloads
mega.nz#!nl4nnKwT!qL4XZ2Vx9pKPrIYhwogdZbxAt4YURoVgwwTR7HzpS3g
moddb.com/games/stalker/downloads/simple-tweaks-for-ogse-0693
docs.google.com/document/d/1uEN0wVYTsSRIMVnF-4bMz__I1iEEAvL50gOXS9FO78w/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mods and Repositories | Often out of date; use only as a last resort!

>Shadow of Chernobyl
mega.co.nz/#F!R5tnxQab!u1LS76bEVBuIrAZw6Py_3A
>Clear Sky
mega.co.nz/#F!NoVzUJLZ!g4Qdy88rL3BG7WTlNXsGOw
>Call of Pripyat
mega.co.nz/#F!58lwDISQ!P-UNABvTEA7km2fLUIAU7A
>Game Repacks + Modding Tools
mega.co.nz/#F!Ql5CSLxb!gNkfqg-xAUfYezLuMaFtYQ
>Downgrading Patches (drag-and-drop)
mega.co.nz/#F!M4BmDRCL!vfze70GSJDyv-HzWn7Dwww
>Unpacked Gamedata + GSC Backup HDD assets
mega.co.nz/#F!V5hBzKab!wF7fgX6m5Tq29B_m5EX69g
>Old Builds (dated from June 1st, 2002)
mega.co.nz/#F!kFtnBTSb!K-RlA1TVxlJGl86yE1c6fw

>Lost Alpha
mega.co.nz/#F!nJEUgaKS!UdZXAwzMWmtjwfn_dFM3dg
>Oblivion Lost Remake
pastebin.com/ZUHS77ZS

>Call of Chernobyl
mega.nz/#F!Z01CVQgZ!kzFOBdGnnehBSk1OUQm6PQ
>Call of Chernobyl/Warfare Bitbucket repository
bitbucket.org/revo_lucas/
>Harpoon Knife/Alternate Flashlights for Arsenal Overhaul 3.x+
mega.nz/#!at5AACJT!_GFaRwe-D4XPY8bdD8DHrBY9njvc9T107hE-lc0J0vs
>Don't have Call of Pripyat but want to play Call of Chernobyl?
mega.nz/#!uoYinJ7I!Lqj2DNIAkaVkcFUa1PLZzj80cVhAFK5D-9zbU2Iy5KI

>Codebro's 1.0008 Patch for SoC - enter "menu_fps_cap 0" in the console to prevent crashes.
mediafire.com/download/6644yv6xekn73rr/Codebro's 1.0008b Fix 1.zip
pastebin.com/CtQ7zfkA
>Xetrill's Modified LuaJIT for CS/CoP - improves performance, especially in script-heavy mods.
mega.co.nz/#F!BIISmQgK!KHZR01ljznUqJlcHUax-aQ
gsc-game.com/main.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr2&thm_id=23321&sec_id=22

Previous bread

>egghead
>no artifacts

>using 5.56
>no gun lubes/no tape/no glue

Oh and

>carrying a sleeping bag
>no "fuck leg it" backpack
Other than that, it's much better than some of the shit I saw here that was purported as "perfect", such as most of Iris_Heart's shit.

In the case of the bandage,

dressing = dressing of a wound, i.e. the act of cleaning and bandaging it as to stop bleeding and prevent infection

field = battlefield, conveying the idea that it's designed for use in an emergency in the heat of battle

>no artifacts
ok hows this

Could be worse.

Nothing wrong with 5.56 real fucking nato. Fuck itembloat.

Wouldsendintoanomaliestogetartifacts /10

>Nothing wrong with 5.56 real fucking nato
Lolpisspoor stopping power.

>Fuck itembloat.
Kill yourself.

5.56 lacks power against large mutants but most 5.56 rifles can mount a 40mm underslung launcher so the point is moot anyway.

I prefer 7.62 but I have to admit that against anything human-sized and less, 5.56 is adequate

Why does everyone keep recommending STCoP over Arsenal Overhaul when it's just a worse version with worse weapons and less weapons?
>no SKS
>no WW2 weps
>only real weapon variety is different skins of the same weapon
>default ammo
>shitty vendors
>shitty skins
>80% of it is just multiples of the worst AK variants in existence

What's the appeal?

>muh stopping power
It's also very light making it ideal if you want to go fast without using SMGs.

Shit bait, but someone will fall for it as usual.

No, answer my question. It's just a shittier version of Arsenal Overhaul. There's no benefit to using it over AO unless itemsoup only works for it and it alone.
Why is it shilled so hard here?

>5.56 is adequate
Only if you use AP ammo. If not, exo/poopsuit niggers will absorb bullets like there's no tomorrow.

I tried both and here is my expert opinion on the matter:
AO definitely has more content and better animations overall but some of the weapons seem to have fucked up damage values and are literally useless. Examples are the MP5 or any shotgun with slugs.
STCoP has shitty vanilla tracers and less guns but at least I don't have to magdump every guy I come across. Some guns also sound very strange or are out of sync.
I like both but right now I am using STCoP.

Fuck off, retard.

I usually go sniper/SMG and alternate long range smooth and slow marksmanship and fast close range blitzkrieg

>using FMJ against armor

there's your problem

Kill yourself.

>using FMJ against armor
Yeah except that every 7.62 calibre standard bullets still work on armored niggers.

Thank you. I've tried both and STCoP just feels completely inferior to me, but I usually stay away from small-arm automatics and slugs so I didn't notice the damage gimp. Reusing the same skins for different weapons also seems really shoddy and lazy to me but the amount of content far outweighs that of STCoP and I wanted to know why it was so heavily pushed here.

that's because it does more damage and has more AP by default in most mods, which is dumb because 5.56 has more AP potential than 7.62 IRL

>5.56 has more AP potential than 7.62 IRL

>5.56 has more AP potential than 7.62 IRL
Yeah, no.

What 7.62 are we talking about here? Tokarev? 54r?

>I wanted to know why it was so heavily pushed here.
Because it's actually consistent. Kill yourself. Especially for saying that STCOP steals content from AO when it's the complete opposite of that, you retarded monkey.

Odd question, but how much does the code overlap between SoC and CoP?
>Meme Sky
>Implying

For instance, could you take an item from one and more or less copy-paste it into the other?
Could you use, for instance, a shader mod from one in the other? It's the same engine tweaked, right?

I didn't say that at all, who the fuck are you calling retarded you blind autist?

>Meme Sky
It actually looks better than CoP and shares more similarities to CoP than to SoC. Also, according to modders weapons from CS work on CoP and viceversa seamlessly.

There:

>it's just a worse version with worse weapons
Mcfucking kill yourself on livestream.

So why not selectively merge them and get the best of both?

what is your favourite nato and why does it have nothing to do with the absolute worst gun in stalker

I might add: AO can give you some generous starting gear.
Some fucker is apparently doing that right now.

What about CS looks better than CoP? I never bought it because a first-party faction war mod for (1)9.99 never appealed to me

>Also, according to modders weapons from CS work on CoP and viceversa seamlessly.
Very interesting... So I guess lemme reframe my question. What does the code overlap between all games look like?

>Some fucker is apparently doing that right now
Interesting.

In vanilla? LR300. G36 sounds bad and has bad animations and the SG550 is for tryhards. Fishgun not mentioned because it's a fish.

G3

>What about CS looks better than CoP
It wasn't brutally "optimized" and as a result, foliage, textures etc look much better, I seem to recall that even the lighting got brutally optimized too. The graphical aspect is pretty much the best thing about CS.

>What does the code overlap between all games look like?
Ask Werejew when he shows up, and be ready to get hated by the rest of the whole thread as you're causing weaponsoup to be delayed.

>Some fucker is apparently doing that right now
That's not exactly true, if anything he's taking the 3D models and textures taken from Shoker (most of the shit from AO is "stolen" from that mod and then gutted, as AO's author is a talentless hack), STCOP, some other mods, and FPSbanana. I think he's rewriting the weapons' characteristics by himself for making shit consistent, and he's definitely reworking the scopes by himself.

Vanilla, F2000 because that shit is just too good.

Mods? Well:
5.56: M16A2, only because no mods seem to have the M16A1 with grenade launcher and heatshield. I also like the LR300.

7.62RFN: FN FAL, again, no mods have my favorite variant of it, the paratrooper one (either short barreled or the long barreled one). I also like the G3.

And of course the MG3 for showing the Monocucks what it means to be a real human bean. The M60 is a good ersatz in case the mod in question doesn't have the MG3.

boatgun*

In vanilla, either the F2000 or Sig 550.
Modded would probably be the G3, but the M14 is top tier if the mod in question has it.

>It wasn't brutally "optimized" and as a result, foliage, textures etc look much better, I seem to recall that even the lighting got brutally optimized too. The graphical aspect is pretty much the best thing about CS.
I see, but if the code bleedover is significant enough couldn't CS's shaders/algorithms et al. be imported to CoP? I guess I'd need to get my hands on a copy of CS and pop the trunk.

>Ask Werejew when he shows up
Might just do that. How do I know when that is?

>and be ready to get hated by the rest of the whole thread as you're causing weaponsoup to be delayed.
Hey, I'm a modder myself so it would be a net positive for me to get up to speed on the finer points.
I'm eyeing making CoCk not an empty wasteland full of buggy shit since I saw some people complaining but lamenting their lack of modding knowledge (I also love the conceptual idea of the entire zone on one map)... But, I was a SoC modder, not a CoP one so I've got a lot of reading and poking around to do.

>How do I know when that is?
Lurk the thread. He'll show up sooner or later and people will flock to him either asking for a release date or suggesting him shit. You could also try contacting him on moddb, he's the Warfare mod's author.

>I also love the conceptual idea of the entire zone on one map
Godspeed you absolute madman.

hey werejew, will you fix warfare cucking cock 1.3.2's quests after you finish gunstew?

alternatively, any explaination why is that even happening, so many we can fix it ourselves?

>Godspeed you absolute madman.
Well, I'm a codemonkey who can't make graphics for shit (fucking textures, how do THEY work?) so the hardest part is already done by CoC, making the maps themselves. As for fixing all the apparently fucked up spawns, the shitty AI, tweaking CoP graphics to be inline with CS, etc. etc.

"How hard can it be?©®™"

>shitty AI
You take a look at OGSE 0693 for that. That mod's AI at least fucking tries to do basic things such as flushing you out with grenades, using GLs, flanking, changing weapons depending on what kind of threat the AI has to deal with.

>tweaking CoP graphics
Before you start working on that you could take a look at Radium or whatever that branch of OpenXRay is called. From what I recall they recently managed to implement multicore support.

>changing weapons depending on what kind of threat the AI has to deal with
I agree with most of that other stuff, but I have to call bullshit because every exo Loner uses a sawed off instead of his VAL.

I saw Dutyers switch back and forth between RPK74s and Saiga 12s for fighting zombies/bandits and snorks.

Just discovered clearsky bandit music is an instrumental version of actual scum song
youtu.be/bOlm-rsdCBM?t=22s

That said, even if it is bugged/not implemented I guess that the code for it wouldn't be complex at all. Wouldn't it require something like:
1. Assign an armored/unarmored numeric value to stalkers/zombies(changed by the suit they're wearing) and mutants.
2. Assign an AP value to the gun (depending on the ammo), and a "power" value (determined by the ammo and multiplied by the rate of fire)
3. Assign a distance value to the gun.

And then the logic should be something like "if target has >x armor then use gun with the highest AP value and damage, else use the gun with highest damage". Maybe add a few other conditions for determining wether or not the AI should use the GL or explosives in general.

I wish there was a mod that was just vanilla stalker with OGSE's AI

>You take a look at OGSE 0693 for that. That mod's AI at least fucking tries to do basic things such as flushing you out with grenades, using GLs, flanking, changing weapons depending on what kind of threat the AI has to deal with.
Well, if the code is partially useful between versions it would be a good place to start. Hopefully I'd get to a point I could improve on it.

/In theory/ yes it is that simple. However: theoretical knowledge is as good as practical knowledge in theory, in practice, it isn't. I would also in theory add a parameter for range so you don't have "highest damage weapon" being a shotgun against a target on the other side of a valley. Have explosives be based on cover or number of enemies engaged with a negative bias for range so they don't blow themselves up.

I'll have to take a look at it though. I'm downloading CS off the OP mega so I'll have to wait to grab mod tools until it is done to look for myself. I still don't get why games that are so often modded as STALKER don't use loose file systems but whatever.

>Before you start working on that you could take a look at Radium or whatever that branch of OpenXRay is called. From what I recall they recently managed to implement multicore support.
Very interesting and helpful. This is exactly the kind of info I need, the tools/mod features/coding/engine stuff that exists but I haven't heard about because I haven't followed STALKER for years.

So make one, that's a fairly mundane hackjob. Why would you even want such a thing anyway?

>I want vanilla experience, but not really
You either go Vanilla or full OGSE, no need for half measures.

>Well, if the code is partially useful between versions it would be a good place to start. Hopefully I'd get to a point I could improve on it.
I'd suggest getting in touch with Werejew before you start working on it. IIRC he was interested in porting that to Weaponsoup.

>I would also in theory add a parameter for range
That's what I meant with
>3. Assign a distance value to the gun.

By the way, what kind of knowledge do you need for being able to mod STALKER? Are you by chance AMK AE's author?

>finally find the Klondike in OGSE
Holy shit. I'll savescum until I can find all of the possible artifacts though, but the first set I got seems to be pretty fucking good, aside maybe two trash artifacts.

>By the way, what kind of knowledge do you need for being able to mod STALKER?
Depends on what do you want to achieve.

I have wet dreams about STALKER eventually getting a full autism inventory system a la 7.62 High Calibre.

Nice pair of tits.

I've wasted about 5 hours trying to download CoC for the first time.
Mega has fucked me so much by ruining itself middownload three times in a row. How do I cope with this?

moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/downloads

Its a torrent though.

Fuck, sorry guys been gone for the past few threads. Did I miss anything share-worthy?

hello /sg/ a friend of mine bought me all stalker games and demanded me to play them

im starting with SoC and i noticed its in english, is there a way to change it to russian with english subtitles, i think i would enjoy it more that way

Fixed trader files for CoCk with STCOP and itemsoup.

mega.nz#!nl4nnKwT!qL4XZ2Vx9pKPrIYhwogdZbxAt4YURoVgwwTR7HzpS3g

Do you also refuse to watch dubbed anime?

Thanks. They'll go in the link folder with everything else. Want me to put them in the backup OP text?

>Fixed trader files
How exactly did you fix them? Did you set the probability of spawning weapons to 100%?

There should be localization files in the myriad of mega links.

Eh, try to keep playing. Honestly, some of the charm of the game is the shitty dub and honestly... most of it won't be dubbed anyway. Only the majority of plot-relevant lines. Bandit callouts and most side-chatter is still in english. To some degree not being able to tell what everyone is saying behind your back kinda adds to the atmosphere.

If you still can't enjoy it, come back and ask again. I feel like something like that floats around somewhere. Also look up Zone Reclamation project to patch Shadows of Chernobyl before you play.

I didnt make it. Someone in the last thread posted it after a bunch of guys started bitching about the traders.

Campfire stories are interesting, are they dubbed in english version? OGSE has a lot of new ones that fit very well and even mention some actual gameplay mechanics (like drinking vodka to block psi damage)

yes i do

>are they dubbed in english version
Lolfuckingnope. There are translation of those on the net, and they're mostly jokes.

>OGSE has a lot of new ones that fit very well
I don't think any of them are translated.

You magnificent bastard, you're at it again.
Please take your time with this, but don't leave it development hell if you can.

Also one last suggestion, maybe don't allow paragraph length descriptions. I've uh... had bad experiences with that.
That server was the main reason I left Gmod to be honest.

Half of campfire stories are anecdotes (you can tell because stalkers laugh at those), the other half is serious.

So

Install OGSE v693
Install patch
Install Weapons

Good to go?

Yup. There are also two optional addons on their forums, mostly various tweaks, one of them makes both weapon slots "big", ones among other things.

moddb.com/games/stalker/downloads/simple-tweaks-for-ogse-0693

the shottys in first slot is a must. dunno if it clashes with the weapons mod you seem to have put in though I suggest installing this over the weapon mod or the shottys will revert to the wrong slot. should be a trivial merge anyways

>I'd suggest getting in touch with Werejew before you start working on it. IIRC he was interested in porting that to Weaponsoup.
In porting AI code into a compilation gun mod..?

>By the way, what kind of knowledge do you need for being able to mod STALKER?
You need a triple digit IQ and the right programs, that's about it. I can give you a list of universal moders programs that will serve you well if you want.
But yeah, basic mods are really fucking easy, unpack, change some values on something, repack, test, and then congrat yourself on being a modder. I might be glossing over it a little due to my experience with it, but it's really just basic problem-solving. Making completely brand new content of the AI/Mechanics variety is kinda hard though. New guns/tweaked stats, trader lists, etc. are child-simple though.

>Are you by chance AMK AE's author?
Merging code and making it all play nice IS a specialty of mine as a person who self-mods my own games that I actually play for my own enjoyment ("conflicting mods"? challenge accepted) . But no, I am not he.

>In porting AI code into a compilation gun mod..?
Yeah. He said that he either wants to include it in Warfare and/or Weaponsoup.

>Making completely brand new content of the AI/Mechanics variety is kinda hard though.
Yeah, that's what I want to do, see . I'd appreciate the list of programs still, but my biggest problem is that there is very little documentation in english and I don't know how to code, besides some very simple stuff I learned in HS.

>Merging code and making it all play nice IS a specialty of mine as a person who self-mods my own games that I actually play for my own enjoyment ("conflicting mods"? challenge accepted) . But no, I am not he.
Now I'm kind of getting curious, did you publicly release any of your mods?

OGSE translator, are you here? Some of the artifacts from the Klondike have fucking english written in phonetic mode (liders), and most if not all of the scientist's logs from the Dead City have cyrillic text.

I don't know if it's my computer (Which I just recently built) or OGSE, but very rarely on load screens it freezes and then black screens if I alt+tab to the task manager. Alt+F4 doesn't work, I can't close it via the task manager because OGSE stays on top, and I can't close it from the task bar. The only way so far I've found to close it when it's like this is to simply ctrl+alt+del and restart.

You can call task manager from ctrl+alt+del screen

I'm pretty sure that's just OGSE, I had it happen to me too.

>Yeah. He said that he either wants to include it in Warfare and/or Weaponsoup.
Fair enough. I see no practical reason SoC AI cod wouldn't work in CoP, it might need some hammering to get the peg into the hole though. But nothing impossible.

>Yeah, that's what I want to do
>I have wet dreams about STALKER eventually getting a full autism inventory system a la 7.62 High Calibre.
Haven't played 7.62 High Calibre so I don't know what that entails exactly.

> I'd appreciate the list of programs still
Assuming you're using a windows system to be playing video games and all:
>Winmerge
Load two files, it will highlight what is different between them. For instance Gunmod3's GUNSLIST.dat and Gunmod7 GUNSLIST.dat, you can load them and it will put them right-to-left and use yellow highlighter to show where the data is different. It will also show where entirely additional code is.
>WindowsGrep
Find strings of text within a folders worth of files. If you know something is pointing towards "itm_gun_pewpew" but can't guess which, this will search the text in every file in >folder> for whatever you put in, like "itm_gun_pewpew".
>Notepad++
Helps you dot your i's and cross your t's with brackets and expressions and the like.

That's all you need really. I don't even know what stalker modders use these days, I still have my old STALKER Mod tool .db extractor but I don't even know if that's "the good one" these days.

>but my biggest problem is that there is very little documentation in english and I don't know how to code
That's where the problem-solving comes in. 90% of the time modding is diving in without documentation, besides recent AAA mod communities skyrim or something there will almost never be documentation for what you want to do.

>Now I'm kind of getting curious, did you publicly release any of your mods?
I released a AMK+OL merge to rapidshare a looooong time ago. People seemed to like it.

Thanks for the program list, turns out I already use all of them but WindowsGrep.

>90% of the time modding is diving in without documentation
I was under the impression that the lack of english docs for STALKER was the exception, not the rule, at least when it comes to games with huge modding communities behind them.

>I released a AMK+OL merge to rapidshare a looooong time ago. People seemed to like it.
Hah. How long ago was that? 7 years? Oh, and did you ever release anything not related to STALKER?

>I don't know what that entails exactly.
If you want to know more:
You have very limited space, and the location where you put an item -pants' pockets, tactical vest, belt and eventual optional bandoleer(s) for it, backpack- modifies the amount of time it takes for using it (eg, if you have ammo inside a box that's inside your backpack it will take a long ass time to reload, even more so if it's a weapon with a detachable magazine, while if you have a magazine in your tactical vest it will take seconds, sometimes even less. Same discourse applies to guns and the speed it takes to whip them out). Instead of just having suits you can wear different camouflage/clothes, tactical vests, plate carriers (and different kinds of plates for those), helmets, NVGs. Attachments modify the guns' center of gravity, which influences the shooting pattern and recoil.

>Thanks for the program list, turns out I already use all of them but WindowsGrep.
Good man. GREP will make your life much easier. There is no magical easy program though, it's all about just doing the work.

>I was under the impression that the lack of english docs for STALKER was the exception, not the rule, at least when it comes to games with huge modding communities behind them.
It is the rule, not the exception. Like I said, beyond even the very basic work of the largest communities like sims and skyrim you'll be on your own as the guides dry up. Most people just make guides for the pleb stuff they're tired of answering a million times. Doing anything /meaningful/ usually involves venturing into the unknown or at least beyond the realm of tutorials.

>Hah. How long ago was that? 7 years?
Easily

>Oh, and did you ever release anything not related to STALKER?
I leave a trail of merges and mods for every game I play. On rapidshares/megauploads/mega/etc. type places because I don't really use nexus/moddb type things. I care mostly about my own game experience, and only for results so I never ask for permissions or anything (but never seek credit for anything either).
If OL people didn't want to be merged into AMK because I wanted to play that... well that was just too bad.
I make mods because _I_ want them, I release them when I'm done only so other people who cannot do it for themselves can enjoy the work if they want it, but releases are secondary to results for myself.

For instance, people were talking that there was a mod which made the entire zone from SoC+CS+CoP into one big huge map, but it has no real features, so this interests me. I want to play the proper modded stalker but with such a map, so I'll do it.

>If you want to know more:..
>the rest
That's breddy autistic, yeah.

>Notepad++
It has Compare plugin that does exactly what you described for Winmerge

First, it wasn't available when I started many years ago. But more importantly it doesn't have nearly the features. Merge-left/Merge-right alone have saved me hours of time in my life. Also looks like it can't ignore //comments which is also a big deal when comparing hard data.

It does the very basic of highlighting it seems, nothing more.

I play a fair bit of flight sims and if anything they're really anal about not releasing modder tools but for a pretty understandable reason - not having to put up with cheaters in multiplayer AND not having to deal with "so randumb xdd" shit.

>That's breddy autistic, yeah.
And that's exactly why I love it. That game has a challenging learning curve, if you use a lot of common sense that is.

Fair enough, i also find the NP++ highlighting to be wrong some times

Also forgot this:
>WindowsGrep
NP++ also does this, the find in files function

Cheaters have their own tools anyway, they don't need mods. The way multiplayer cheating works is completely different.
t. Was a hacker/cheater as a kid
Even if somebody modded their plane to have CP all over it, then it would just look the same to all other players because it is a local texture swap. So I cannot say I understand the reasons.

As for the other communities, people are usually busy making mods and playing games. You usually only see tutorials for the very basic things people are tired of explaining. Sometimes you will rarely find a dedicated tutorial maker who lives for recognition but it is the exception. Even for communities like wiremod in gmod, you will find some basic tutorials but to make anything particularly impressive you will have to build on it all alone. Doing anything good means going out on your own.

Also, winmerge makes patches, which is like the most important thing. It is a very simple way to make patches that will do 90% of what you need, and the last 10% of cases you can code one yourself anyway. As opposed to just manually coding all.

>NP++ also does this, the find in files function
Will it find in files in an entire folder? Can it handle thousands of files without crashing? Can it do vague and soundex searches (like, "I think it was called data_rhythm" "oh actually it was data_rhyme, ok")?

I find standalone programs like this to work much better than basic plugins. Like, I would trust my network security to a firefox plugin alone...

File sharing hostings die left and right, it would be a shame to lose your assorted mods, you could put them on google drive, make a public google doc with links and descriptions, kinda like this docs.google.com/document/d/1uEN0wVYTsSRIMVnF-4bMz__I1iEEAvL50gOXS9FO78w/edit
Although search engines don't index these afaik, so got to put doc link on on moddb or something

>How did I manage THAT!?

>Will it find in files in an entire folder?
Yes
>Can it handle thousands of files without crashing?
Never tried, but it searched through unpacked ogse config folder no prob
>Can it do vague and soundex searches (like, "I think it was called data_rhythm" "oh actually it was data_rhyme, ok")?
I think that's what filter field is for. It also support regular expressions.
Wouldn't argue about standalone programs, i generally don't use multipurpose tools like this, just the NP++

>Even if somebody modded their plane to have CP all over it, then it would just look the same to all other players because it is a local texture swap
That's not the problem, the problem was modding the guns so that they'd have much faster bullets, with the same power as tank rounds, and some even changed the plane's flight model. And while they were some cunts that still managed to cheat they didn't manage to shit things up for long.

For the record IL-2 1946 shares your skin with other players if the server allows it. Some servers were really fucking anal about the skin you were using too, for example you'd get a warning if you weren't using historically or at least plausible skins, and get kicked + a few hours ban if you didn't change it after respawning.

>File sharing hostings die left and right
That they do.

>it would be a shame to lose your assorted mods
I just make them for my own play and release them if it sounds like somebody is interested or happens to request what I've already done, really. I think the world would be surprised how many brilliant and unique mods never actually see the light of day. Shared only by a few coders and friends through personal transfer and then faded into history as they all grew bored of them, themselves. I remember an admin of our starbound server made many mods that were a world above what the public had (racial factions, faction NPC spawners, unique mechanics, etc.), and then when we all were tired of the game he just shut the server down and went back to his life. The public would never know that the game actually had such great things, only the publicly released furry races and shit.

Such cases.

>I think the world would be surprised how many brilliant and unique mods never actually see the light of day.
I will never stop being butthurt about that.

Yes, on one hand it's good to have all your shit available for general public, on the other i get a few butthurt comments on steam workshop once in a while, just some random faggots complaining my shit doesn't work or doesn't meet their specific needs, it's kinda annoying.

what's the video that plays on the tvs with the girl walking around with her ass
I know it's been posted here before.

>it's kinda annoying
Why?

Yeah, I don't ask permission and merge whatever I want to play and upload it for whoever asks... so yeah I would not be a popular guy in the "mod communities"...

That bad news is that I know what you're talking about but I don't know where the standalone mod is or what it was called.
The good news is that I can tell you how to make your own if you just want something sexy on TV.