How important is it to "dress for success" when you are starting out in finance...

How important is it to "dress for success" when you are starting out in finance? Got my first job in pure finance and want to move up quickly.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception_management
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

image is everything

if youre not buff, good looking and very confident you wont move up far

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception_management

Who do you want to be? Who do you want them to think you are? Every facet of your identity can be tailored to be more adaptive in your environment.

You actually have to ask?

Not very important (and I say this as a sharp dresser).

No one really cares, and some of the most successful people in finance seem to wear $99 suits without giving a hoot.

Wearing $4,000 suits to "impress" your cubicle friends is a pure waste of money.

Also, that's an extremely American thing to say that you're "dressing for success".

You're not.

You're dressing well because you like it... but to avoid appearing "feminine" (because you care about your looks) you say it's just for your career.

People never talk about "dressing for success" in non-Anglo countries because they're not hung up like you.

That may be so at the local HR Block, but I'm working at a large corporate company in Seattle. 130k+ employees. Those above me who are young and moved up quick all dress snazzy as fuck. Everything looks nice, eccentric to classic and very well put together. Like they have a personal stylist.

>large corporate pure finance company

What did he mean by this?

>People never talk about "dressing for success" in non-Anglo countries because they're not hung up like you.

That's because their idea of going to work is taking sticks and shit to make a hut.

I mean it's my first job where I am just doing finance shit. I started off doing HR transaction shit, then worked in compensation now mergers and acquisitions.

but once they discover 1 thing is bullshit the facade will come crumbling down

>Like they have a personal stylist

Or taste. Dressing well isn't some secret dark art.

Investment bank?

Don't overdress, don't underdress, don't dress the same, don't dress too oddly.
If you are too different, people will feel less empathy.
In a party where everyone wears green, you shouldn't wear black. In a party where everyone uses an exotic costume, you shouldn't wear something simple. In a party where everyone is simple, you shouldn't be exotic.
Mix, fit in.

They don't move up because they dress well though. You won't get better promotions because you have a Hermès tie rather than a no-name polyester tie.

>personal stylist
Meh, they probably lurk Styleforum and "smart" Instagram account, and then go buy indiscriminately the most expensive stuff at Neiman Marcus. I don't even need to see these guys to know how they're dressed.

Excellent meme, chap.

If you understand finance better then anyone else around you, you can dress poorly and use your knowledge and work ethic to control your managers and co workers. Develop a relationship where you are always trying to help other people with complicated matters so that they become reliant on you. Then demand a raise or threaten to leave.

What a long post to say "wear conservative business dress".

What if it's a business where most dress snazzy?

Then... wear conservative business dress with a twist. But not too much.

You don't want to "outdress" people who are above you in the hierarchy. Everyone knows the famous anecdote where a guy from senior management cuts the Hermès tie of some young analyst with a pair of scissors, before handing him five $20 bills and saying: "Go buy five $20 ties."

Dress in very understated but high quality clothes.
Basically the opposite of wearing something that screams 'look at me'.

>AllenEdmonds

$400 dollerydoos

Jesus Christ

I have three pairs of Park avenue alone. That said, I got them all worn once or twice from ebay.

They can be found for $250 USD quite easily, you absolute mark

Not bad then actually. My current shoes were 100 and 130

>giving a shit about your slave uniform

fucking cucks

>N-NEET masterrace right? Right mom? Mom?

>wear a suit
>your good to go

how fucking hard can it be nigga

Wear a white shirt with dark slacks and a tie. Have a jacket at your desk for meetings. Everything fitting is far more important than brand.

I've heard its hard for Americans to find form-fitting clothing, even for suits. A tailor may be needed to make alterations.

>I've heard its hard for Americans to find form-fitting clothing, even for suits.
probably because 99% of americans looks like huge melting heaps of garbage

I buy cheap, $200, Italian-cut suits. Get compliments on the regular. Don't pay more than you have to. Get a body that looks good in a standard fit, and you'll spend very little on tailoring, as well as not having to buy anything high end.

bonus points for selfdestructive ego.

Very helpful, thank you very much, you kind sir.