All the continents have female names

All the continents have female names

The same reason ships are named after women, sailors and cartographers are a lonely bunch.

>Americas
???

gonna name my first daughter South America

America is the female version of Americus, whom the explorer Amerigo is named after

So if all Continents are female, what does that mean when peasants spread out fertilizers over them?

Amerigo Boipucci

>America
>Amerigo
>Amerigo Vespucci
nigga wut

Feminine version of the name nigga

australiaño

Who the fug is Americus?

>female
>feminine
>the same thing

In Latin there are three genders (masculine, feminine, and neuter), and most geographical locations are feminine (Roma/ae, Athena/ae, Britannia/ae, Hibernia/ae, Gallia/ae). With the obsession with all things Roman and Greek in the Renaissance coinciding with the 'Age of Discovery', mapmakers and explorers continued the tradition of feminine forms for locations with America, Australia, Asia, etc..

Though if you really wanted to go out on a limb, the neuter plural nominative and accusative for Latin nouns ends in an -a, so you could say that all continents are plural and neuter. But that would be wrong (not to mention grammatically confusing).

Latinized name of Amerigo, as far as Google knows. Was pretty standard to use a Latin form of your name on anything official or important for a long time.

All of the continents, except Europe, begin with A and end with A

>Asia
>Africa
>Antarctica
>America
>Australia

It's called Europa, disgusting Anglo.

They give birth to crops. Female fertility has been associated with ground fertility in rituals and beliefs for a long time.

Aemeric/Emmerich, Germanic name.

I read this really high and understood it perfectly good post

Its called Evropa, disgusting westerner

I'm an Easterner and we also spell it with U.

>they all begin and end with am a, apart from Europe
>this wasn't intentional but is a pure fluke

>Europa

>they all begin and end with an, apart from Europe
>apart from Europe

>EuropA

>begin and end
>begin

literally trash

DUDE WEED LMAO

It's because all the continents were literally (and figuratively) raped by the people who came there.

>All of the continents, except Europe

Do you perhaps mean Western-Asia?

I'd love to go south on her when she's grown

Greeks liked to give them the name of Goddesses for some obscure reason, and it stuck.

>Europa
>Asien
>Afrika
>Antarktis
>Nordamerika
>Südamerika
>Ozeanien
Three out of seven, it is still pretty bad.
You don't get dumb when high on sativa

this is why Avrupa is objectively the best spelling

Found a map that illustrates my point. Notice the AFRICAE PARS and the ASIAE PARS. 'Pars' is a word meaning 'region' or 'part', and it is in fact feminine. Which makes sense, because the names for the continents literally translate as 'African Region' and 'Asian Region'. So our English names for the continents are actually noun forms of Latin adjectives. The seas, however, are neuter, because the word for sea is mare, maris (a neuter word). The words like 'Mediterranium' and 'Atlanticum' are adjectives again.

most indo-european languages if not all started out having 3 genders and it was beautiful if you ask me

honestly, three genders makes more sense, though it was a little muddy to me when I studied Latin.

America is named after Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer who set forth the then revolutionary concept that the lands that Christopher Columbus sailed to in 1492 were part of a separate continent.